closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Di2 or SRAM Red Etap

Craftsman

Di2 or SRAM Red Etap

Anyone running etap instead of di2? Is there anything you don't like about it?

Been hearing a lot of hit and miss with the biggest being chain falling off derailer at front and no trimming from front mech.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
    Anyone running etap instead of di2? Is there anything you don't like about it?

Been hearing a lot of hit and miss with the biggest being chain falling off derailer at front and no trimming from front mech.
    I've been running etap on my road bike pretty much since it was available last year and on my TT bike for most of this season and it's been flawless.

Love the sequential nature of the shifting, it is fantastically intuitive. Reviews will tell you etap is slower shifting than Di2, which may be the case but it's never been slow enough for me to notice. Never had any issue with it falling off the front mech and you don't need to trim because of the way the front mech rotates slightly.

The only thing that is a bit annoying is that the plugs on the end of the Blips are a bit big and can be a pain to thread internally. There have been a couple of known issues

- One of the limit screws on the front mech could foul the DS crank arm on some makes. This was resolved by using shorter limit screws
    - Some people found the battery clips snapped off - these were generally just replaced under warranty

All that said, I've never used di2 for any length of time so it may be better, but having used it extensively I'd spec etap on any new bike without hesitation (except my Pegoretti because everyone knows an angel dies every time you don't put Campag on an Italian frame).

I'm on etap hydraulic and loving it.

Never used Di2 but why go wired when you can have wireless?

Have read a few comments about it being slower but nothing I'd consider noticeable.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Did i hear that with etap you can change cassette size and it auto adjusts but with the di2 it needs setting,more really for the pro's when changing for stages in the classics but clever all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    I
    All that said, I've never used di2 for any length of time so it may be better, but having used it extensively I'd spec etap on any new bike without hesitation (except my Pegoretti because everyone knows an angel dies every time you don't put Campag on an Italian frame).
    This needs pictures!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    I've been running etap on my road bike pretty much since it was available last year and on my TT bike for most of this season and it's been flawless.

Love the sequential nature of the shifting, it is fantastically intuitive. Reviews will tell you etap is slower shifting than Di2, which may be the case but it's never been slow enough for me to notice. Never had any issue with it falling off the front mech and you don't need to trim because of the way the front mech rotates slightly.

The only thing that is a bit annoying is that the plugs on the end of the Blips are a bit big and can be a pain to thread internally. There have been a couple of known issues

- One of the limit screws on the front mech could foul the DS crank arm on some makes. This was resolved by using shorter limit screws
    - Some people found the battery clips snapped off - these were generally just replaced under warranty

Fouling on the front mech when cross chaining?, I know you shouldn't be doing this, but it can happen.

I currently have ultegra, so was looking for an upgrade to electrics.

Blog Entries
    chain falling off derailer at front
    If your chain is on your front mech, you're doing it wrong

Fouling on the front mech when cross chaining?, I know you shouldn't be doing this, but it can happen.

I currently have ultegra, so was looking for an upgrade to electrics.

Its actually pretty happy cross chaining. Can be a bugger to set up apparently but once done it works in every combination.

The fouling issue was that with some chainsets, as you spun the cranks the limit screw would rub against the drive side crank. It was some combinations of frame and crank but seemed to be fixable with a shorter screw which SRAM would provide.

Craftsman
    Thanks for clearing this up.

had a play with a demo set before the London 100 and the Sram wireless seems pretty nice. No idea what it cost but it was not nice enough over my standard ultegras.