closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice on where to sell my car!!!!

Advice on where to sell my car!!!!

Hello all

On the advice of my accountant, I am now leasing a vehicle so my Toyota Rav4 is now pretty redundant so I am looking to sell it on. It's a 2001MY (X reg) 5dr 2.0 petrol VVTi NV spec in metallic red with the factory fitted wheel arch plastic inserts and driver's lights. Body and interior is in good nick and it's done 105,075 miles and has a full service history (mostly Toyota main dealer) with a wedge of receipts for various repairs over the years. All 02 sensors have been replaced and it had a brand new set of tyres fitted all round a few months ago. I put it in for an MOT yesterday to aid a potential sale but it failed on the following:

1 - Parking brake lever has no reserve travel
    2 - Rear fog lamp not working
    3 - Brake pipe excessively corroded Nearside Rear
    4 - Brake cable has restricted free movement offside
    5 - Brake pad (s) less than 1.5 mm thick rear
    6 - Parking brake: efficiency below requirements

My local garage recon it'll cost £300 (max) to put it through an MOT. We Buy Any Car offered me £360 for it which I initially recoiled at since the cheapest on autotrader is nearly a grand more than that. So, I wanted to ask what people think would be the best way to sell the car? Should I get the work done first then advertise it on autotrader or is the car not worth what autotrader are asking?

Where are the best places to advertise such a car? (Gum Tree etc). It seems a shame to let it go to WBAC for so little!!!

Many thanks in advance.

Without an MOT you're unlikely to get much more than scrap value. WBAC stipulate (I think) that the car has at least 3 months MOT so they probably wouldn't even give you the £360.

You're probably better off getting the work done and putting it on Autotrader, here and PH but be prepared to not get too much for it.

If you're in no major rush to sell, you could pay the ~£50 Auto Trader fee and stick it up for sale as it is. Stick it up for around £1k and be prepared to drop the price.
    I think you get 30 days advertisement, so worse case, if you don't get the necessary interest you can still get the work done and add an MOT if required and then modify the existing advert.

There's also an admin fee to take off that. I spoke to local wbac office and they chipped me down to £260. The tyres alone cost me £550 a few months ago. Anyway, to be fair it's been a very reliable car for the five years I've owned it so I can't complain. It doesn't owe me anything as they say! I might just let WBAC have it. Need to get private plate on retention though. Don't suppose you know how to go about that process?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Without an MOT you're unlikely to get much more than scrap value. WBAC stipulate (I think) that the car has at least 3 months MOT so they probably wouldn't even give you the £360.

You're probably better off getting the work done and putting it on Autotrader, here and PH but be prepared to not get too much for it.

Really easy to put a private plate on retention, link below:

https://www.gov.uk/keep-registration-number

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy View Post
    Really easy to put a private plate on retention, link below:

https://www.gov.uk/keep-registration-number

Tom
    Thanks. I just googled it before you replied!

Master
    Why not offer it to the MOT station? will cost them very little to repair and MOT, Much better than selling to WBAC!

Sounds a good runabout, brilliant reliability for not a lot of cash ..whereabouts are you located ?
    Are you on the likes of Facebook ? I sold a 12 year Yaris earlier in the year by initially putting the car on ebay (Car classifieds cost a flat £15)..I then copied the ad onto Facebook and that got it around my pals and wife's pals...2 days later one of my daughter's pals dads bought itafter seeing the FB post..I then cancelled the ebay ad with no further charge...best of luck !

I've just sold an 2000 V5 Golf and the new owner is pleased with it.

;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Hello all

On the advice of my accountant, I am now leasing a vehicle so my Toyota Rav4 is now pretty redundant so I am looking to sell it on. It's a 2001MY (X reg) 5dr 2.0 petrol VVTi NV spec in metallic red with the factory fitted wheel arch plastic inserts and driver's lights. Body and interior is in good nick and it's done 105,075 miles and has a full service history (mostly Toyota main dealer) with a wedge of receipts for various repairs over the years. All 02 sensors have been replaced and it had a brand new set of tyres fitted all round a few months ago. I put it in for an MOT yesterday to aid a potential sale but it failed on the following:

1 - Parking brake lever has no reserve travel
    2 - Rear fog lamp not working
    3 - Brake pipe excessively corroded Nearside Rear
    4 - Brake cable has restricted free movement offside
    5 - Brake pad (s) less than 1.5 mm thick rear
    6 - Parking brake: efficiency below requirements

My local garage recon it'll cost £300 (max) to put it through an MOT. We Buy Any Car offered me £360 for it which I initially recoiled at since the cheapest on autotrader is nearly a grand more than that. So, I wanted to ask what people think would be the best way to sell the car? Should I get the work done first then advertise it on autotrader or is the car not worth what autotrader are asking?

Where are the best places to advertise such a car? (Gum Tree etc). It seems a shame to let it go to WBAC for so little!!!

Many thanks in advance.
    Looking at that, almost all of it comes down to you needing new brake pads and adjustment. Swapping in a brake pipe is a trivial job and the fog lamp is probably a bulb. 1, 4 and 6 are almost certainly adjustment issues and any garage that changed pads would have to adjust anyway.

Here's how to do the pads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ke_uG6RfI

You'll need the correct tool to change the brake pipe easily and the correct kit to bleed the brakes, but I'd say that if you pull the parts and even a manual off of ebay you'll be able to do the job in a couple of hours and for around a third of the price the garage is quoting.

Then Gumtree is fine.

For example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pagid-1358...UAAOSwTM5YxSUR

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Toyota...YAAOSwt5hYgZW7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Rav...4AAOSwU4JZjXy3

Easy.

Master
    Get in MOTd and then sell it on Autotrader - if you're in no rush you'll get £1200-1300, but it might take you a while. In any event, it's a lot better than letting WBAC have it for £260!

What are you replacing with ? On the news today Ford were talking about 3k scrappage deals on a new car which could be worth it in these circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Looking at that, almost all of it comes down to you needing new brake pads and adjustment. Swapping in a brake pipe is a trivial job and the fog lamp is probably a bulb. 1, 4 and 6 are almost certainly adjustment issues and any garage that changed pads would have to adjust anyway.

Here's how to do the pads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_ke_uG6RfI

You'll need the correct tool to change the brake pipe easily and the correct kit to bleed the brakes, but I'd say that if you pull the parts and even a manual off of ebay you'll be able to do the job in a couple of hours and for around a third of the price the garage is quoting.

Then Gumtree is fine.

For example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pagid-1358...UAAOSwTM5YxSUR

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Toyota...YAAOSwt5hYgZW7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Rav...4AAOSwU4JZjXy3

Easy.
    Thanks for the links. Will consider DIY but I'm so busy it may pay to pay a man to do these things for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Get in MOTd and then sell it on Autotrader - if you're in no rush you'll get £1200-1300, but it might take you a while. In any event, it's a lot better than letting WBAC have it for £260!
    Yep, no rush and it is a great car. I am leaning towards this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    What are you replacing with ? On the news today Ford were talking about 3k scrappage deals on a new car which could be worth it in these circumstances.
    I have an X1 18d Xdrive Sport auto on lease until my 320d M Sport touring arrives. The X1 is absolutely great so I'm not too fussed about the 3 series now! Scrappage scheme may be an option for my dad (ie giving him the rav to px against a new car (he wants an X1 now having driven mine).

Thanks for all your help so far :-)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That looks loke Jens old car!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I've just sold an 2000 V5 Golf and the new owner is pleased with it.

;-)

R

Master
    It really sounds like it's worth spending the £300 to get it through its MOT and then you'll have a car worth much more than that and the offer from WBAC?

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    That looks loke Jens old car!
    It is. Or rather was, she's got another VW now.

The frustrating thing for me was that it ran fine, in fact everything worked on it but the MOT fixes would, even with my labour, have cost enough in parts to have wiped out the possible sale price: there's little demand for a 2300cc petrol Golf. Still, she'd had trouble-free motoring for 12 years and I'd used it for some overseas travel (for which it had been a cracking autobahn/motorway mile muncher).

But then, the scrapper who took it was saying they're getting MOT failures that are non-viable financially for cars that are even less than 10 years-old nowadays. Madness. :-(

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 15th September 2017 at 02:54.

Master
    Ebay auction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Your easiest and best bet will be the scrappage scheme for your dad,ive advertised a few on gumtree,ebay autotrader and recently got rid of my aunts 2007 suxuki jimny with 4200 miles on it,found that the time wasted with people not showing up and calling off last minute for the few hundred less that WBAC gave you it was hassle free so would probs use them again imo.

100% Facebook for a car like this, at the anticipated price. There are cars under 1k groups in most areas. I used Ebay, gumtree, and auto trader for my wife's car. Facebook was free, and got the sale.
    Also, surely we are almost at the best time of the year to sell a car like yours, at the best price, with winter around the corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mikiejack View Post
    100% Facebook for a car like this, at the anticipated price. There are cars under 1k groups in most areas. I used Ebay, gumtree, and auto trader for my wife's car. Facebook was free, and got the sale.
    Also, surely we are almost at the best time of the year to sell a car like yours, at the best price, with winter around the corner.
    I'd be tempted to agree.

Sold my RX8 for double what traders were offering as a trade in value (sod all, really) in 30 minutes on Facebook!

M

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dm1672 View Post
    Your easiest and best bet will be the scrappage scheme for your dad.
    If you mean the Ford one, it probably won't tbh-

As you can imagine the T's & C's make the offer much less inviting than the headlines would have you believe. Not only is the discount against the ++list price++ of specific models (which no-one pays anyway), but the car to be traded in must have been in the buyer's name for 90 days to avoid people buying £360 worth of Rav4 and getting £3k of. So the OP would have to be the registered owner on the V5 of his dad's new car, they will NOT move on this.

Apprentice

I sold my clapped out Clio on eBay for £400. eBay only charged £20 or so as they take no responsibility for the sale or the item, it's a classified listing.

Your Rav 4 might be like my Clio and just be attractive to car mechanics who fix them up and sell them on.

eBay would be quick and cheap, but with a risk of it selling for less than you want.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by barkington; 24th August 2017 at 08:43.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Analogue View Post
    Everyone is in a different financial position, but have you thought about giving it away to someone? If you want or need to sell it, fine, it is yours to sell, but do you have a nephew or niece, or someone that might want it?

Is there a local charity or FE college that trains folk how to repair vehicles etc? It might benefit someone.

^^^^^^ This is what I was thinking too.

I've given cars away to family and friends in need. If the car "doesn't owe you anything", then it can be nice to see others enjoy it.