closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone Else Watching the Eclipse Today?

Anyone Else Watching the Eclipse Today?

Last day of our US holiday, and will be experiencing the eclipse in the next hour.

Anyone else?

Blog Entries
    Yes were in Orlando so will be keeping a look out. Maybe a bit cloudy though.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes were in Orlando so will be keeping a look out. Maybe a bit cloudy though.

Lucky chaps, it is on the BBC news channel live now for the rest of us back in Blighty.

There's a partial one due in the UK around 7.40pm

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Lucky chaps, it is on the BBC news channel live now for the rest of us back in Blighty.
    Isn't technology amazing - I'm watching it on the Northern Line.

Saw it here in San Diego...maybe 20-25% eclipsed.

Blog Entries
    Just seen it ... Well amongst the clouds... Maybe 75%

Not a great shot

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Totality!

My home, just south of Portland, Oregon was in the 99.5% path. Luckily, my family agreed we should experience 100%. I packed the car last night, with lawn chairs, a table, eclipse glasses, and plenty of survival gear in case we needed to battle our way home (the local authorities were predicting hours of traffic jams). We packed a breakfast of scones, fruit, and coffee, and left at 6:30am for a beautiful drive south through Oregon wine country. We couldn't have asked for more perfect weather: clear, sunny, and a slight breeze. The roads were slightly busier than normal, but there were no major traffic jams. We found a clear spot to watch, tested the glasses, and settled in. Around 9:15, we could see the first signs of the moon's shadow. As it progressed to 50% and 70%, the air got cooler, and the sunlight grew dimmer. The shade of the sunlight was different, unlike anything we'd experienced before. At 10:18 am local time, it got dark for 28 seconds. It is tough to describe, but will be in my mind's eye forever. There was a beautiful silver halo with rays "reaching out" in all directions where the sun should have been. Incredible. I took pictures, but regret doing so as the pictures come nowhere close to doing justice to the beauty of this event. The sky was dark, and we could see several stars and either Venus or Mars to the west.

I would have liked to "press pause" to experience totality for a bit longer, but time waits for no man.
    I was happy to experience this with my wife and two kids. My oldest is off to college in a few days and our time with him is already too little.

Since this is a watch forum, my watch choice for today was between the classic Eco-Drive PMD56-2711, or a 57' reissue Speedmaster. The Speedmaster won out.

Quote Originally Posted by goz211 View Post
    My home, just south of Portland, Oregon was in the 99.5% path. Luckily, my family agreed we should experience 100%. I packed the car last night, with lawn chairs, a table, eclipse glasses, and plenty of survival gear in case we needed to battle our way home (the local authorities were predicting hours of traffic jams). We packed a breakfast of scones, fruit, and coffee, and left at 6:30am for a beautiful drive south through Oregon wine country. We couldn't have asked for more perfect weather: clear, sunny, and a slight breeze. The roads were slightly busier than normal, but there were no major traffic jams. We found a clear spot to watch, tested the glasses, and settled in. Around 9:15, we could see the first signs of the moon's shadow. As it progressed to 50% and 70%, the air got cooler, and the sunlight grew dimmer. The shade of the sunlight was different, unlike anything we'd experienced before. At 10:18 am local time, it got dark for 28 seconds. It is tough to describe, but will be in my mind's eye forever. There was a beautiful silver halo with rays "reaching out" in all directions where the sun should have been. Incredible. I took pictures, but regret doing so as the pictures come nowhere close to doing justice to the beauty of this event. The sky was dark, and we could see several stars and either Venus or Mars to the west.

I would have liked to "press pause" to experience totality for a bit longer, but time waits for no man.
    I was happy to experience this with my wife and two kids. My oldest is off to college in a few days and our time with him is already too little.

Since this is a watch forum, my watch choice for today was between the classic Eco-Drive PMD56-2711, or a 57' reissue Speedmaster. The Speedmaster won out.

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Wow, is this yours? where was it taken?

NASA, sorry I should have credited it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Sorry, it seems this is a fake. The original picture is by NASA but doesn't have the sun, let alone the eclipse.

Not a picture of the eclipse but pictures of the effect whilst in India yesterday. Phone pics so they don't capture the colours fully but portions of the sky went orange/pink.

During

After