closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: La Vuelta 2017

Master
    from Cycling Weekly;
    " We also paid a visit to Dr John Dickinson, the UK’s foremost expert on asthma in sport, to find out if breathing problems really do affect as many cyclists as pro-related stats seem to imply, and if so, whether us normal riders should be getting tested too."
    Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/la...lTouH9u32zQ.99

An assessment of the British Cycling team before the 2004 Olympics showed that around 40 per cent had asthma compared to only about eight per cent of the general population. For Dickinson, this discrepancy stands to reason.

“Athletes are far more prone to asthma-related problems, mainly because of the environments they’re exposed to and the conditions required by the sport, such as the high breathing rates over prolonged periods.

“Cycling is done outdoors, often in dry, polluted air — there are lots of reasons for the high prevalence.”

Given that amateur riders are exposed to as many asthma-triggering factors as the pros perhaps even more in some cases, e.g. urban commuters breathing polluted air — we are just as likely to develop symptoms.

There is a widely held suspicion that athletes get themselves diagnosed as asthmatic in order to access medications that will boost their performance, i.e. as a shady marginal gain.

Dickinson dismisses this theory as illogical and unfounded.

“We know that therapeutic doses of inhalers don’t touch performance, so if you’re a non-asthmatic taking a couple of puffs of salbutamol, it’s not going to do anything for you. We have plenty of research proving that.”

No silver bullet

That research has shown that beta-2 agonists, the swift-acting medications that in asthmatics relieve constriction in the airways, have negligible effect on performance among non-asthmatics.

It isn’t possible to improve your ventilation or induce “super lungs” by puffing on an inhaler, adds Dickinson. “Endurance- wise, there is no advantage.”

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    They have a drug testing regime but football is completely different to cycling.

A slow footballer with great skills can beat any other player who only has speed and endurance (like cyclists) in their locker.

You can't drug up skill.
    Indeed.

UKAD list the following sports: Amateur Boxing; Aquatics; Archery; Athletics; Badminton; Baseball; Basketball; Biathlon; Bobskeleton; Bobsleigh; Boccia; Bowls; Canoeing; Cricket; Curling; Cycling; Darts; Darts (PDC); Disability Powerlifting; Disability Table Tennis; Dodgeball; EIS - Multi Sport; Equestrian; Fencing; Football; Football 5 and 7 a side; Goalball; Gymnastics; Handball; Highland Games; Hockey; Ice Hockey; Ice Skating; Judo; Karate; Lawn Tennis; Luge; Modern Pentathlon; Motor Sport; Netball; Other; Powerlifting; Professional Boxing; Rowing; Rugby League; Rugby Union; Sailing; Shooting; Sledge Hockey; Snooker; Snowsport; Squash; Table Tennis; Taekwondo; Tennis; Triathlon; Volleyball; Weightlifting; Wheelchair Basketball; Wheelchair Curling; Wheelchair Fencing; Wheelchair Rugby; Wheelchair Tennis; Wrestling.

There may be more...as they conduct "testing across more than 40 Olympic, Paralympic and professional sports."

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    Dickinson dismisses this theory as illogical and unfounded.

“We know that therapeutic doses of inhalers don’t touch performance, so if you’re a non-asthmatic taking a couple of puffs of salbutamol, it’s not going to do anything for you. We have plenty of research proving that.”

No silver bullet

That research has shown that beta-2 agonists, the swift-acting medications that in asthmatics relieve constriction in the airways, have negligible effect on performance among non-asthmatics.

It isn’t possible to improve your ventilation or induce “super lungs” by puffing on an inhaler, adds Dickinson. “Endurance- wise, there is no advantage.”
    Apparently the story is quite different if you ingest it rather than take it via an inhaler

Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    Apparently the story is quite different if you ingest it rather than take it via an inhaler
    Is there any suggestion that is what Froome may have done?

Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    If you mean eating or drinking salbutamol, I'd be interested to know what you believe the advantage to be. I was always warned against eating it.

From a bit of googling there seems to be some nasty side effects including raised blood pressure, heart arrhythmia and possible fatality. Some bodybuilders believe it reduces fat but without really knowing why. I can't see any obvious performance advantage though - can you explain a bit more?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    If you mean eating or drinking salbutamol, I'd be interested to know what you believe the advantage to be. I was always warned against eating it.

From a bit of googling there seems to be some nasty side effects including raised blood pressure, heart arrhythmia and possible fatality. Some bodybuilders believe it reduces fat but without really knowing why. I can't see any obvious performance advantage though - can you explain a bit more?
    Links to some studies here that suggest there are benefits:

https://sportsscientists.com/2017/12...utamol-result/

Anyone think that Froome came across as cold in his interviews. Guess he has known about this since Sep but if I had everything on the line I think I’d be more animated/concerned
    Last edited by crooky13; 15th December 2017 at 19:28.

As I've read it, Froome may be asked to reproduce his physical state at the time of the "adverse" test and tested to see if they can reproduce the result.

September 7 was stage #18 of 21, a hilly stage following 2 mountain stages, a rest day, a time trial and another mountain stage. Good luck with reproducing that under trial conditions...in the lab or outside.

Edit: Just to make a difficult situation worse...it seems that there are personalities getting involved (link):

...McQuaid lost the acrimonious 2013 UCI presidential election to bitter rival and former British Cycling chief Brian Cookson, who was at the helm at the time of Froome's abnormal drugs test on 7 September before being replaced as president himself two weeks later.

McQuaid believes Cookson would "absolutely" have been told about the case.

McQuaid was among those heavily criticised in a landmark report published in 2015 into the sport's troubled recent history, while Cookson questioned the Irishman's handling of the Lance Armstrong scandal.
    Last edited by PickleB; 15th December 2017 at 21:30.