closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Your opinion Matters!

Your opinion Matters!

Hi all,

I write today because after saving up for a while (a LONG while), i finally decided to hit that big, red, nuclear apocalyptic style button that says ‘buy’..

now, i managed to collect around 4k, which i decided to invest in a single watch.
    So far, i’m indecise between two watches.
    The first one being the,
    TAG heuer Autavia 02..

and the second being the latest aqua terra (2017 model), in blue..

Very different watches i know.. so i’ll tell you what i like about them..

I’m a vintage watches guy at heart.. i just like Vintage!
    i know that strictly (or generally) speaking the TAG isn’t a vintage watch, but it has got the vintage look, with a modern feel to it... IMO the best of both worlds.

On the other hand, the aqua terra, has got that luxurious look, it comes in my favourite colour and overall is a lot of bang for bucks IMO.

So this it.. a little trip inside my head.. not pleasant i believe.

I highly regard your opinions and i welcome them. If you think, that i should carry on my research, and perhaps look at other watches.. or if you have any suggestions that might help me choose between regarding these 2 pieces, please reply to this post..

as i said.. your opinions matter!

regards, me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No contest aqua

Master
    Autavia for me. But not on a bracelet

Blog Entries
    Out of those two the Aqua Terra for me. It simply appeals to me more.

(Although if I had £4K to spend I'd probably go for a GS).

Is the AT really a £4K watch? It looks very nice but I'd be unhappy about spending £4K on it.

Oh yes, and I'd only buy the AT on a bracelet (possibly with the strap as an extra).

Apprentice
    With vintage styling in mind - the Autavia for me as well. It will open up more strap options too.

Have you also considered a steel Omega Globemaster? Fantastic looking watch in the flesh with its mix of modern and vintage styling and impressive co-axial movement.

You used the word 'investment' in your post, as such you might want to consider holding off until the next Speedmaster limited edition release (the last one was £4.1k at retail I believe) At the rate they're churning them out it won't be long until the next one is announced!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I would say the Autavia, it's a more interesting watch. I find the AT is very plain and (as has already been mentioned) doesn't seem worth £4K to me.

Master
    The AT looks as dull as ditchwater. Insipid. Bland. Buy the Autavia but don't pay anything like list price for it.

Craftsman
    Of the two, Autavia is more interesting but I do like the AT as well. Though I wouldn't pay 4k for an AT.

If this is going to be your main watch and a daily wearer then the AT is more practical and more versatile. The blue dial is stunning too.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    The AT looks as dull as ditchwater. Insipid. Bland. Buy the Autavia but don't pay anything like list price for it.
    What he said, if you like the AD design just get a Ball watch for just over a grand.

Master
    I'm a vintage chronograph lover too, have you seen the transocean? Quite nice if you like vintage chrono's

Journeyman
    The AT would be the one I'd have. I think the colour is stunning and the simplicity of the dial appeals to me alot more. Personally I don't like chronographs. I can understand the fascination for these complications, but to me they are superfluous adornments that are rarely or never used and clutter the dial. Having said that, If that's what you like, you've obviously saved hard for this so go with your heart on your choice. Looking forward to hearing your decision.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I'd describe myself as a vintage guy too, and in that vein the Autavia is the only choice. The only modern watch I have been able to properly "get on with" is a Nomos Club and that has a non-shiny dial. None of the others I've tried has stuck.

Alternatively: if you really want a blue watch, why not save a few hundred more and shop around for a blue dialled Tudor snowflake?

Master
    Perhaps a silly thought, but if you're a vintage guy at heart, why not buy a vintage watch? For your £4k you could have any number of seriously interesting older watches.

All depends on what floats your particular boat, but restricting myself to Heuer and having a 30 second look on Chrono24 this morning there are a number of lovely pieces - Camaro 7220, Panda 1153, Autavia 1163 as just a starter - that all come in well shy of your £4k, and would be considerably cheaper again if bought privately. That's where I'd be looking, though obviously it may take you ages to find precisely what you want.

Obviously it's been owned by someone before (duh!), but in addition, an older watch will almost certainly come with imperfections - may well cost a bit to get serviced/sorted when you first acquire it, the bracelet may be stretched, and unless it's been kept in a box all of its life, there'll be signs of wear. All depends on whether these things bother you or not; one man's patinated delight is another man's horribly scratched piece of scrap.

That peculiar endlink on the Omega rules it out for me; I assume that it's part of the rubber strap rather than an add-on to the case but even if it didn't narrow down one's non-Omega strap options I think it looks unpleasant and unnecessary.

Purely on looks alone, got to be the Autavia.

The Omega would be my choice fwiw. Let us know which one you opt for

Master
    I'm going with the Autavia, but I'm biased!

Personally I prefer the older ATs. Particularly the white dial with blue hands/markers.

I think the Autavia is a vastly more interesting watch, so if I was making the choice you've outlined then that would certainly be my pick.

Simon

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Autavia. I find aqua terras pretty dull and the strap lug arrangement on the one you've posted baffles me

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mc View Post
    The AT would be the one I'd have. I think the colour is stunning and the simplicity of the dial appeals to me alot more. Personally I don't like chronographs. I can understand the fascination for these complications, but to me they are superfluous adornments that are rarely or never used and clutter the dial. Having said that, If that's what you like, you've obviously saved hard for this so go with your heart on your choice. Looking forward to hearing your decision.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using TZ-UK mobile app
    Tend to agree.

Craftsman
    AT it's the one I like more but 4k is a lot.

Master
    Autavia for me too.

Blog Entries
    Got to be the Aqua Terra, stunning looking and the better make in my opinion. Co-axial movement as well so great reserve power.
    Ian

I'm a bit of a sucker for blue and the AT looks fantastic, but I'm not keen when on a bracelet as I think they get a bit bland, at 4K ? Not for me, secondhand at a huge discount maybe.
    The Autavia is more my style, the bracelet is gorgeous and really sets it off, but at 4K? Not for me.
    As has been said why not get a vintage watch rather than a pretender, I think in the long run it would be a better choice and would probably increase in value whereas these two are most likely going to plummet.

Blog Entries
    Looking further afield try a Zenith CP-2. Discounts are possible.

Also. Try looking through some of the Friday threads for further inspiration.

Personally, just my own opinion, I would not buy a (new) Tag - that's just my opinion so take it as it is.

I guess you've looked at the Omega moon watch (not the latest coaxial versions).

Once you do decide - you can get an immediate 20% off MRP at a London Airports wherever you fly to. Just saying.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 22nd August 2017 at 08:35.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    This succinctly sums it all up for me.

Master
    £4k's a great number, loads of interesting new and vintage options.
    Used Sub or Seadweller (just ?), Vintage Date-just.
    Loads of '90s-'00s Tag/Heuer re-issues (the Monaco CAW211P is lovely), the Autavia CY2110 and 2111 are very underated (and currently undervalued).
    Grand Seikos ??

Some of the criticism aimed at the Autavia about its proportions, I don't quite see, I really like the look of it. However, there is one feature, so amazingly stupidly executed I could never bring myself to buy it; the minutes subdial... measuring increments of 2.5 minutes. A bizarre design choice.

Master

Your opinion Matters!

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Got to be the Aqua Terra, stunning looking and the better make in my opinion. Co-axial movement as well so great reserve power.
    Ian
    The Heuer 02 movement in the Autavia has an 80 hour PR.

If they are the only two options then definitely the Aqua Terra for me. However as already mentioned, £4k gets you into used Rolex territory (if that's what you're into).

Master
    I'd go AT all the way, it feels like a more serious watch. Though personally I'd go for a bracelet and also consider an older AT with brushed centre links and save some cash, unless the new model particularly appeals. There's no point in making that decision until they've appeared in stores of course, they may be great but never judge from photos.

As others have already mentioned, there are a great many watches and brands to be found in this price bracket, particularly pre-owned where even Vacheron Constantin are within reach. The AT is a solid buy and a versatile, wearable one watch, but there would be a great many things ahead of the vaguely Autavia themed reissue on my list.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 22nd August 2017 at 11:16.

No offense here, but it seems the two watches have nothing common apart from being relatively new on the market. Personally I would decide first what type of watch I'm after. Start with one being a chrono and the other a three hander?

Craftsman
    I would also be going AT - its less gimmicky to me and technologically awesome too.

If I had to choose, the Autavia but I agree with other posters that 4k is a lot to spend and could perhaps be better expended on some other choices. I wouldn't be so unoriginal as to suggest a Sub just because it happens to be within reach as nothing indicates that the OP yearns for one given his question!

Craftsman
    Between the two, the Autavia wins for me. I find the older AT's more appealing and can be had for £2.5k
    In fact a pal of mine picked up an AT daydate at the airport for £2.8k - a bargain!

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickJ View Post
    Between the two, the Autavia wins for me. I find the older AT's more appealing and can be had for £2.5k
    In fact a pal of mine picked up an AT daydate at the airport for £2.8k - a bargain!

Where can AT's be had for 2.5K? That seems very cheap, even for airport prices. Do you mean the quartz version?
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 23rd August 2017 at 09:55.

I'm a sucker for blue dials but the Omega's hands look mismatched to me. IMHO....obviously.

Hi All,

Just got back from holiday, and very happy to see that so many of you had taken the time to write something here, for this i Thank you all very much!

Back to the matter, during my travel i wasn't able to try on the TAG, as the AD did not have one in the store.. so because of that i'm unable to make a decision base exclusively on looks.

Value for money, tough one!
    they both in my opinion not the 'best value for money' out there in that price range, therefore i agree with everyone that made a statement pointing this out.
    In terms of alternatives, both NOMOS and G.S. are good shouts, but, both of them, for different reasons do not appeal to me as much as the AT or the TAG.

Having taken all your opinions into consideration.. i decided that..

1. paying full price for the TAG (without having it tried on) is not the i feel that comfortable about anymore.

2. yes, the AT hasn't been drastically changed, but, i do prefer the look of the newer one.. and i'll be waiting until i get to try it on and see what vibe i get from it.

3. At this price range there's plenty of fish available in the sea.. and as some of you have successfully pointed out, it is probably worth waiting until i collect ~1k more (5k budget), which it'll give me access to a wider segment of the market.

4. Lastly, by all mean not the least. I'd like to thank you all for sharing your opinions with me, and helping me taking a different prospective on the matter!

Claudio, OUT.

Apprentice
    I'm considering the AT as well but will go for the leather as I'm not convinced by the look of the bracelet. I looked bigger on my wrist than I expected as well which was a nice surprise.

If you buy the Autavia don't pay more than £3.2k or so new, and buy it with the bracelet. You can always stick it on a leather strap (I'd put it on a replica from Giuliano for that authentic look!).

If it were me though I'd go for the blue Pelagos. It has the heritage (based on the Tudor Snowflake), an in-house movement, it's made of titanium and combines bits of both the watches you listed. Plus you should be able to knock a chunk off the £3.2k list price as they don't appear to be selling that well.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Hard to argue with Simon on the Pelagos but, to be honest, neither of those you've initially chosen scream out to me.

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=Rocket Man;4467489]Where can AT's be had for 2.5K? That seems very cheap, even for airport prices. Do you mean the quartz

Sorry for the late reply. Was the automatic version and was just the airport 'sale price' - believe it was Ernest Jones at Gatwick wasn't travelling out of the EU!!

Craftsman
    Of the two it would be the aqua terra I would choose.

The AT is a stunning watch and that would be my choice out of the two. However I am a little biased as I have one

Craftsman
    I am surprised I am saying that but between the two I would vote for the TAG.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolthai32 View Post
    No contest aqua
    Spot on.

Apprentice

Your opinion Matters!

If it were limited to these two I'd choose the AT, just a better watch, but if I had my choice I'd choose a Zenith El Primero over either. The following one is clearly less than £4,000 but it's from a US web site, I don't know what the costs are in the UK now.

https://www.jomashop.com/zenith-watch-03-2520-400-69-c713.html?utm_source=googleproduct&utm_medium=cpc& utm_campaign=googleproductsearch&pt_source=googlea ds&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=(ROI)+Shopping+-+Sale+Watches+$3000+-+6000&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoZTNBRCWARIsAOMZHmEDVkipqBFzFx IKg1rv-CKC7A3pTgw1E5uPeD4L3acgeTfi_ToBQ8caAteHEALw_wcB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk