closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Adelaide/ Brisbane - anyone been?

Adelaide/ Brisbane - anyone been?

We're off to Aus at Christmas and thinking of visiting either of the above for about 3 days having already been to Perth, Sydney and Melbourne.

I think Brisbane probably has more to offer but is likely to be very hot and humid in January.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

A good friend moved to Adelaide so been a couple of times, kangaroo island is interesting, a trip on the wine train to the Barosa Valley is great and well worth it. It's a really nice city a well worth a visit, very different to a lot of other Australian cities.

Kangaroo Island off Adelaide is awesome! We spent a day there with a guide, he was a real life Crocodile Dundee!

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    We're off to Aus at Christmas and thinking of visiting either of the above for about 3 days having already been to Perth, Sydney and Melbourne.

I think Brisbane probably has more to offer but is likely to be very hot and humid in January.
    Do you like wine? Adelaide has McLaren Vale, home to some of the Worlds top vineyards, all with Cellar Door lunch tours/deals.

Also you can head out towards main-laws on them
    Fleurieu Peninsular where you have Victor Harbour, Horseshoe Bay (best ocean swimming beach in the world IMHO), and then you have Kangaroo island, and at that time of year, lots of whales too :-)

Also lots of history, plus Central Market, Borough Market before Borough Market.

Brisbane,hot, modern and meh!

Rob

Blog Entries
    Adelaide is a pretty, relatively small city. The city centre is small enough that everything is within walking distance.

The North Terrace of the city has the river, the university, the museum (worth visiting if you like fossils - there's a completely opalised plesiosaur skeleton on display) the botanical gardens (which are very well kept) and the zoo.

The restaurant in the botanical gardens used to do some great kangaroo dishes.

The parklands to the south of the city have interesting bird life - wild parrots etc.

The north parklands have the cricket ground (good if there's a match on, obviously) and quite a good indoor swimming place with several pools and a laned pool with multiple lanes for swimmers with different speeds.

If you like wine, the Barossa Valley is worth touring for a day.

You can also go up to the top of the ironically named Mt Lofty to admire the views.

Glenelg is a (vintage) tram ride from the centre, it's like a British seaside resort but with cleaner sand and actual sunshine.

The best food in the city is Vietnamese and Thai, generally speaking.

I think if you like everything on that list, you can fill 3 days.

Watch for sharks if you swim in the sea.

Watch for snakes and bugs everywhere you go, South Australia has a large quantity of creatures that will make your life very unpleasant if they don't end it.

If you go in summer, take mosquito repellent and remember to keep hydrated.

In January through March, Adelaide can be hotter than most Europeans would find comfortable.

Make sure you don't run into my ex-mother-in-law.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had three nights in Adelaide while traveling across Oz on the train from Perth to Sydney, found it friendly some great restaurants but bloody Southern Ocean was cold,froze my nuts off.

Brisbane is a lovely and clean City with a nice parks, riverside and man-made beach but it's not a long stay destination. Byron Bay and Noosa are both great beach holiday destinations which are not too far away though.

Apprentice
    I lived in Adelaide for eight years. Beautiful city with lots to offer. Brisbane is a much newer city and for me it lacks the culture. If you go to Adelaide the hills are beautiful and the central markets are excellent for food, especially on a Friday. Wine tour, beautiful beaches, good beer...

Never been to Adelaide, but have been to Brisbane many times and love it. I'd live there, but I spend a lot of time in the New England area of NSW.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Brisbane and Queensland can get pretty hot, humid and rainy at Christmas; Adelaide can get hot (40˚C) but is generally dryer.

Tasmania is well worth a visit that time of year.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    Brisbane and Queensland can get pretty hot, humid and rainy at Christmas; Adelaide can get hot (40˚C) but is generally dryer.

Tasmania is well worth a visit that time of year.
    Can't second this highly enough especially at the time you could visit, there is so much going on in Hobart around Christmas it's fantastic.

Taste of Tasmania festival
    Sydney to Hobart race
    Mona festivals

1hr flight from Melbourne, easy state to get around.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Brisbane is a lovely and clean City with a nice parks, riverside and man-made beach but it's not a long stay destination. Byron Bay and Noosa are both great beach holiday destinations which are not too far away though.
    My brother has lived out in Brisbane for 18 years and been a few times at Christmas/New Year and yes it can be hot and humid but that's why the swimming pool and air con are standard.

If in the city for a few days the above two places are worth a visit with Noosa being my choice.

Lovely city and prefer it to Sydney.

Thanks all

We've settled on Adelaide.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Been to Brisbane, years ago . The only place in Oz where I found Guinness! ( terrible too!)

Take a trip down the river, very nice..
    Last edited by sestrel; 23rd August 2017 at 08:18.

If you go to Adelaide take a half day detour to Handorf, bizarrely an olde worlde German village in the hills outside Adelaide. Great pancakes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    If you go to Adelaide take a half day detour to Handorf, bizarrely an olde worlde German village in the hills outside Adelaide. Great pancakes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    hahndorf

Rob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Only, if you look for it on a map, search for Hahndorf (=Chickentown).

Master
    Blog Entries
    I lived in Brisbane in the early nineties for a year. I loved it - the weather, weekend culture and the friendliness of the locals - especially the last of the three.

But you're right about the temperature in January - it was very hot and humid. OK for my heat-loving wife but much too hot for me. Unless you really love the heat, Sydney or Adelaide are probably better bets.

ATB

Jon