closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 for 1 on Rolex

Craftsman
    On purely trade value alone, the cumulative of the two is probably not that far off. But the Sub and GMT are a pretty handsome pair to let go so I'd be reluctant myself!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    No! If you want the daytona get your name down and go interest free on one or sell the Sub privately and use that money. Subs however are slowly climbing in value even tho'they are plentiful.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Yes. The 1675 is nice but it's not the rarest of watches. The 14060 are 10 a penny.
    Looks like a 5513, 660ft/200m.

OP you have 2 nice watches. I'd keep them.

As many have already said - no.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Journeyman
    Absolutely not!

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    No! If you want the daytona get your name down and go interest free on one or sell the Sub privately and use that money. Subs however are slowly climbing in value even tho'they are plentiful.
    Last time I checked I was 3rd. That could be a while though and would see me have to sell both of these anyway.

I suppose I should just wait it out.

Grand Master
    Don't do it. You're a young guy, plenty of years ahead to get a Daytona and let it take it's place in a collection. Letting these go would be a mistake; play the long game and be patient.

Paul

Craftsman
    No ,got similar to you and the Daytona does nothing for me

Blog Entries
    Well there is no doubt to the general thoughts here on this one.

I to don't feel the Daytona thing but then again I was in the same camp with the DSSD until I had one on my wrist for a hour.

At the end of the day you alone know what you truly wish for, but we have all regretted some of our sales and I am sure you will regret losing the GMT and would always look back.

Pitch

I would say yes if really want a Daytona White dial Ceramic, if the 5513 was matt may be not, but doubt you would get 10k plus for the pair of them, as I am sure the 5513 is the one bought for £3750 in sales, the Daytona with ease will do 10k used to a dealer!! I am sure they was on recently on here used and it went for a lot more than 10k.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...t=rolex+116500

£13k so I think is a good deal
    Last edited by bokbok; 20th August 2017 at 23:27.

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 11th September 2017 at 02:48.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Ceramic Daytonas are freely available at inflated prices and a few have sat unsold for a long time and the wise heads are predicting a continual downturn in the selling price.

The other two watches are clearly harder to source and a lot of people who part with nice vintage examples later regret it (apart from me of course ).

Value wise at present the sums add up for me and there is not a lot in it, so it is a straight choice of what you want the most. It really is a head over heart decision.

Personally, I would suggest that you keep the two vintage and wait for the collapse in the Daytona price. Wasn't the prediction £13k by the end of the year. I don't think they will ever sell at RRP used, but somewhere between £11k and £12k would satisfy a few.
    This! Seriously contemplating a Daytona purchase at the moment but a 116520, not ceramic. There's something about the photos of the ceramic that puts me off. Just a gut feeling for me but your choice at the end of the day.

You have two lovely watches there. I'd be for keeping.

My initial thought was "No!" as you have two proper classics there, and the ceramic Daytona to me looks like a Seiko. The older one is nicer, in my opinion.

But on the other side of the ledger, as an ex-16753 owner, you'd be swapping two old watches for a new(er) one. This may appeal and be cost effective purely for reducing the maintenance costs and worries. Rolex wouldn't service my 16753 without replacing the (nipple) dial. It became a liability, so I sold it. At some point, vintage watches make their journey towards becoming Trigger's broom. The Daytona should be serviceable for many years yet.

Ally.

I wouldn't part with the GMT ever.I did and regret it.

Craftsman
    Love that GMT, so no way would I swap it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    What's the residuals comparison between the two cases?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Boy - I would try and hold on to that GMT at all costs

Master
    No. That's a great pair!

You avin a larf?

Get some therapy

Its like saying I'm seeing two gorgeous birds, should I dump them both to go out with this one other bird just becuase she's got a posh accent and shops at harvey nicks
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Its like saying I'm seeing two gorgeous birds, should I dump them both to go out with this one other bird just becuase she's got a posh accent and shops at harvey nicks
    But consider the ease of servicing

Apprentice
    I'm a no too on this one. The GMT is a beaut and think it would be a mistake to let it go. Would it be an option to trade in the sub plus cash? If so I would do that

It has to be your personal choice and preference, in terms of what you want to own and wear - 99% of other people will neither notice or care.

Craftsman
    I think you will regret selling the GMT.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    But consider the ease of servicing
    But the same one, over and over, every single day.... Surely having the pair to pick from will help keep things interesting?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Absolutely would not.

I thought the received TZ UK wisdom was that the cost of servicing a Daytona was basically twice a regular Rolex?

Master
    My initial thought was "No!" as you have two proper classics there, and the ceramic Daytona to me looks like a Seiko. The older one is nicer, in my opinion.

But on the other side of the ledger, as an ex-16753 owner, you'd be swapping two old watches for a new(er) one. This may appeal and be cost effective purely for reducing the maintenance costs and worries. Rolex wouldn't service my 16753 without replacing the (nipple) dial. It became a liability, so I sold it. At some point, vintage watches make their journey towards becoming Trigger's broom. The Daytona should be serviceable for many years yet.
    Did you consider a service by an independent who would respect your wishes regarding the dial?

I was nodding vigorously while reading Wallasey Runner's post which raises the possibility of the Daytona bubble bursting. That would only harden my resolve to reject the trade and wear the GMT with pride.

Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    Did you consider a service by an independent who would respect your wishes regarding the dial?
    I did. But the issue (exactly as Rolex Japan explained to me directly) is that to service the watch they need to remove the hands and dial. This involves risk of damage, and there are no replacements. An independent retains the same risk. Plus you never really know what they have done. (Used the correct oils?). The old dials with bare lume plots are quite easy to damage. I have had a vintage Omega dial damaged when serviced at Omega Bienne. I have had the lume crack on a not-so-old Omega Seamaster 2254. Vintage collectors accept this risk and the inevitable decay, or just keep the watches unserviced. If neither of these appeals, a newer watch might be preferable.

I'm wary of old dials with lots of lume (especially if not contained within a nice gold surround) these days. It's a not-much-discussed risk of vintage.

Master
    I did. But the issue (exactly as Rolex Japan explained to me directly) is that to service the watch they need to remove the hands and dial. This involves risk of damage, and there are no replacements. An independent retains the same risk. Plus you never really know what they have done. (Used the correct oils?). The old dials with bare lume plots are quite easy to damage. I have had a vintage Omega dial damaged when serviced at Omega Bienne. I have had the lume crack on a not-so-old Omega Seamaster 2254. Vintage collectors accept this risk and the inevitable decay, or just keep the watches unserviced. If neither of these appeals, a newer watch might be preferable.

I'm wary of old dials with lots of lume (especially if not contained within a nice gold surround) these days. It's a not-much-discussed risk of vintage.

Yes, it is a risk for sure. I sent a bubbleback for service about five years ago and the hands didn't survive the experience. Seeing replacement hands on the watch just ruined it for me.

Of course you're right about newer watches being a better ownership proposition. But I don't like them as much...

Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    Of course you're right about newer watches being a better ownership proposition. But I don't like them as much...
    No argument there

Absolutely NEVER!!

Master
    Ok from a pricing perspective but going from two lovely vintagy Rolex sports to a current hot watch. The Daytona probably shine for another 3-5 years but it's hard to know how it will be thought of after that.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Agree with majority on here but

- 5513 was purchased cheaply on this forum so why not try & use that to trade up to the Daytona, esp with replacement dial etc?
    - GMT I would definitely keep - looks a cracker & feel you will regret it

That said - if you don't feel the love for either why not - Daytona is a great watch

I'd be inclined to do it.

I have recently found myself drawn to newer Rolex sports and newer watches in general. I am contemplating trading my 126600 or my 116710 BLNR for a Daytona C, although I have never seen the Daytona in the metal, I do love the older reference 116520 though.

Master
    I wouldn't do the swap.

The GMT and Sub are both lovely and would be keepers for me.

Grand Master
    Can't say i'm overly keen on the Daytona, so no.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Keep em would be my view

No chance of this happening now, Daytona has gone to Watchfinder.

Craftsman
    Without a second of hesitation not a chance.

New daytonas are Meh.

Those two are epic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    The opportunity will arise again. From reading this forum I would say you'd have had massive sellers regrets and would be straight out to buy a new pair to replace what you'd lost!

Master

Good job!!

Good job it's gone now as I think the two you have are different enough to fill two seperate spaces in any watch box and a Daytona doesn't take those spaces on its own so you would end up needing a GMT and a Sub at some point if you had traded!!

Definately not worth these two irrelevant of value as that GMT would be hard to replace, even though I do like the ceramic quite a lot?!?!?

Chris

Or well that made your mind up them

Sent from my SM-C7000 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    No way, your GMT is simply stunning. I would save up for the Daytona.

Master
    Keep the Pepsi and wait for a Daytona at retail.

Blog Entries
    If that were the case I wouldn't be asking.

It would be a straight 2for1 with a fairly well worn white dial Daytona.
    It's a no from me. Those are two class acts.. even if you had the chance again.

Martyn

Apprentice
    Bite their hand off! The daytona is a steal for those two!

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

2 for 1 on Rolex

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_e View Post
    Bite their hand off! The daytona is a steal for those two!

Welcome to the forum but you're late to the party here. So late in fact that the rest of the guests have already gone home!

Apprentice
    Exactly how much are they asking for the Daytona ?

Master
    Absolutely not in a month of Sundays