closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice sought. Best mobile phone holder for car

Advice sought. Best mobile phone holder for car

Having never bought one before I was hoping to get some advice as to the best model of mobile phone holder for my car and iPhone 6plus.
    I'm after good quality/brand and easy fit and remove. Thanks

I've used Brodit clips in the past - they make bespoke brackets for most cars with common holders.
    Now I use an eBay job that fits in the (never used and utterly redundant) CD slot and it works a treat.

I think I've had 'em all - CD slot ones, Lighter socket ones, vent ones, etc, etc.
    This is the one I've found the most stable and the least amount of fiddling about required.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kenu Airframe+ is by far the best one I've used, if you have friendly vents for it. For example, it was fine in my Mercedes 190E but will absolutely not go in my girlfriend's mini.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jchlu View Post
    I've used Brodit clips in the past - they make bespoke brackets for most cars with common holders.
    Now I use an eBay job that fits in the (never used and utterly redundant) CD slot and it works a treat.
    I used a cd slot one which worked really well. Now have one which slots in a vent and holds the phone magnetically. Needs a flat disc sticking to the phone but I use my old iPhone 5s as I only use it for the satnav because the Land Rover one is useless so that doesn't bother me.

Master
    I have had a few, currently have this in the Z4M and it's brilliant

https://www.cdslotmount.com/index.ph...&products_id=1

In the JCW i don't have a CD player, so got a Belkin one; takes up a cup holder but vicinity to the USB port in the car means I don't trail a cable up the dash in the way I'd have to with a vent mounted one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Univ.../dp/B00NL7GTXG

Mine broke recently but being replaced by Belkin, no issue at all.

The two I sale from caseco were and are awesome

A magnet mount

You can spin the phone around etc without it coming off

Better than any suction or clip on rubbish

Craftsman
    Trust me, this is excellent and under £3 delivered! The one you receive looks better too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mobile-Cel...72.m2749.l2649

Quite a few options there. I think I'm probably limited to a windscreen mount as the car has no CD player and I don't want to block the vents or cup holder. I've got a heavy duty protective phone case that does not have a smooth section to attach stickers for the magnetic holders so these are not an option either.
    Any idea who makes the best quality (and preferably smallest windscreen phone holders)?

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Any idea who makes the best quality (and preferably smallest windscreen phone holders)?
    Belkin.

I bought this one about a month ago and can vouch that it's good quality. Very happy with the purchase:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/f2p/Mpow-...id/B00Z620TF8/

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The above comes with two metal pads for rear of phone, one large and one small. I've got through loads of cheap mounts and this one is well worth the extra.

Craftsman
    Another vote for Kenu Airframe, get the plus model if you have a larger handset. I have one in each car, it just works. Its a vent mount rather than window

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    ...but will absolutely not go in my girlfriend's mini.
    You get a slap for trying...?

Master
    Kenu Airframe+ is by far the best one I've used, if you have friendly vents for it. For example, it was fine in my Mercedes 190E but will absolutely not go in my girlfriend's mini.
    Clearly a phone holder with excellent taste.

I have shoe box in the coat cupboard full of phone holders.
    Last edited by Jeremy67; 4th August 2017 at 13:39.

I'm not being awkward, but... why would you need a phone holder for your car??

I don't use one, I just leave my phone in my pocket or sling it in the arm rest and drive. The phone links via bluetooth to the handsfree and I don't need to look at or touch my phone. Or am I missing something?

I fear that if I could see my phone I'd be tempted to see who text me, what e-mail pinged in etc... it's best out of reach in my opinion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    I'm not being awkward, but... why would you need a phone holder for your car??

I don't use one, I just leave my phone in my pocket or sling it in the arm rest and drive. The phone links via bluetooth to the handsfree and I don't need to look at or touch my phone. Or am I missing something?

I fear that if I could see my phone I'd be tempted to see who text me, what e-mail pinged in etc... it's best out of reach in my opinion.
    For me the sole use is as a SatNav.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    For me the sole use is as a SatNav.
    That, I had not considered.

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Quite a few options there. I think I'm probably limited to a windscreen mount as the car has no CD player and I don't want to block the vents or cup holder. I've got a heavy duty protective phone case that does not have a smooth section to attach stickers for the magnetic holders so these are not an option either.
    Not all Brodit holders will block vents.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    You get a slap for trying...?
    Oh, the layers!

Its just that the Mini has convex vents that offer no real stability. They're also shrouded quite heavily, not great. This holder is best sat on flat, horizontal vents.

I superglued the magnetic pad to my heavy duty protective case...still on there after six months of abuse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I have had a few, currently have this in the Z4M and it's brilliant

https://www.cdslotmount.com/index.ph...&products_id=1

In the JCW i don't have a CD player, so got a Belkin one; takes up a cup holder but vicinity to the USB port in the car means I don't trail a cable up the dash in the way I'd have to with a vent mounted one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Univ.../dp/B00NL7GTXG

Mine broke recently but being replaced by Belkin, no issue at all.
    Just bought the Belkin one which fits really securely in the cup holder. I was fed up of vent holders which were flimsy at best.

Craftsman
    The Kenu one works really well, you can just bang your phone in in a split second no matter what it is. And it really doesn't matter that it blocks a vent, there are plenty of others in cars these days, just shut it off and let the others blow the air.

It is rather expensive for what it is though, and looks very much like the £2.50 Ebay one posted above

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Not all Brodit holders will block vents.
    ^^This.
    Another vote for Brodit from me. My experience over four or five different cars is that they are a really good, stable mounting system.
    The Brodit web site shows the various options available so you can see if any vents will be blocked in your car and how well the phone will be visible while driving....

I’ve had Brodit mounts in 4 cars and will get one for my next I’m sure. They come in two parts, one specific to your car, the other for the phone. More popular phones have multiple holder types including support for different case thicknesses. I get my from http://www.dsldevelopments.com/

Another vote for the Kenu Airframe. It does the job well but whilst it is expensive, it is very minimalist and virtually unnoticeable.

Having narrowed it down to a windscreen mounted holder I'm surprised that no manufacturer seems to make the definitive/gold standard product.
    There are plenty of cheap and nasties out there and a few that look better made but they all seem to be either fiddly and bulky and made from brittle plastics.
    The search goes on.............

Master
    Got 1 of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01...holder+for+car. (Single version).
    Does the trick, simple and effective

Craftsman
    I use a Brodit, ne'er a wobble with my iPhone 7

Master
    I like my phone in the bottom right of the windscreen where it's out of the way and I can run a charging lead up the door pillar out of the way. As my current car is an SUV with a lot of space between the dash front and the base of the windscreen I got one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01E509XSA

Nice long adjustable arm that sits well and doesn't wobble about if you position it right. It works well for me but as always YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    I think I've had 'em all - CD slot ones, Lighter socket ones, vent ones, etc, etc.
    This is the one I've found the most stable and the least amount of fiddling about required.
    This was a good tip, thank you.

Apprentice
    Have you seen or tried Quad Lock? I use it I'm my van and on my bikes too; quick, easy and the case is very slim considering. I'd highly recommend them:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quad-Lock-C...ords=quad+lock

After reading this thread I came across and purchased this type and I'm finding it's just fine actually.

Don't these magnetic ones mess with the phone's compass?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Don't these magnetic ones mess with the phone's compass?
    Who uses the phone compass anyway ?
    You mean to say you don't have one of these in your dashboard ? Pfft...

Master
    Brodit for me too. Just bought a new holder after finally upgrading my phone and mounted on the same Brodit ProClip that I was using before.

Advice sought. Best mobile phone holder for car

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Who uses the phone compass anyway ?
    Presumably used by by sat nav for orientation?

I find it annoying that the different phone holders do not incorporate the power supply (like on a satnav)as it means its an additional 'weight' on one side which tends to tilt the phone over time.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    +1

I have a Belkin for my iPhone 7+. The quality and simplicity are second to none. Superb vacuum lock on it too.