closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch spotting in incongruous situations

Watch spotting in incongruous situations

Whilst taking a tour of the Tower of London today I couldn't help noticing that our Yoeman (Beefeater) guide was sporting a Planet Ocean 8500. I think he should have been wearing a Tudor really.

Has anyone else spotted any watches in incongruous situations?

I find myself going around the table at meetings and checking out the watches of others and quite often missing what is being said, really need to stop that.

Ryan

I was at a meeting of the executive committee at work last week and couldn't help looking at watches on show. Out of 8 very well paid execs, I saw 2 Apple watches, 2 sekondas a digital seiko and 3 fashion brands. Not a mechanical watch between them. At least the previous CEO wore a PP annual calendar as his beater!

Banned
    Nice well done

Apprentice
    Yep, its becoming a bit of a habbit!

This ?

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    This ?
    Fashion police?

Blog Entries
    Financial adviser wearing a blue Seamaster 300. Only spotted it this week, never noticed before!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Fashion police?
    Very good!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan1984 View Post
    I find myself going around the table at meetings and checking out the watches of others and quite often missing what is being said, really need to stop that.

Ryan
    Omg yes, happens all the time when I'm at client meetings.

last week I was in a meeting and while the guy was talking I caught a glimpse of his IWC prince xviii. First time I've seen one on the wrist before. Still have no idea what he said during that minute that I was looking at the watch. :P

Craftsman
    I regularly check patient's pulse or blood pressure just to get a look at their watch if it looks interesting. (I work as a GP).

Don't get many pilots or submariners or commercial divers or even military personnel in this neck of the woods.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Financial adviser wearing a blue Seamaster 300. Only spotted it this week, never noticed before!
    Is that really incongruous?

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    I once went to a lecture chaired by the late Sir Patrick Moore.
    He was wearing a pretty scruffy looking gold Rotary. I offered to clean it up for him and he told me it hadn't been off his wrist since his mother gave it to him some 40 years previously.
    Looked like it too...!!

Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by castle View Post
    I regularly check patient's pulse or blood pressure just to get a look at their watch if it looks interesting. (I work as a GP).

Don't get many pilots or submariners or commercial divers or even military personnel in this neck of the woods.
    Girard Perregaux?

I look at everybody's watches all the time.
    And boobs.

Another spot today: 'First Omega in Space' on the wrist of the owner of my local retro (upmarket used) furniture emporium. Maybe not incongruous though as the retro looks of the watch seemed appropriate given his place of work.

Journeyman
    Saw a guy at work today with a lovely looking Rolex Datejust... turns out it was a replica!

Quote Originally Posted by lewwyt View Post
    Saw a guy at work today with a lovely looking Rolex Datejust... turns out it was a replica!
    I was having a look at a very old worn (read, in need of a lot of work) rolex day date once in my local jewelers and complimented the owner on his rolex milgaus, turns out it was a "replica"! I really couldn't tell the difference, must have been a good fake if there is such a thing.

PS I didn't go for the day date, too much work needed as the bracelet would have needed re drilling, amoungst many other things.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

I do fin up to complete strangers underwater when I see a watch on their wrist - freaks them out sometimes if it looks like a interesting mechanical and therefore I move in for a closer look.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Is that really incongruous?
    I don't know what you are saying. I simply innocently commented on the subject of the thread. Is that a problem? Didn't think about it having to be 'Incongrous' so sorry.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 22nd August 2017 at 19:44.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    This ?
    what is even more puzzling is why he's rolling a splif - perhaps on a neighbourhood watch scheme

Master
    He might be making an origami swan to distract a group of potentially troublesome young people....

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flareslove View Post
    Omg yes, happens all the time when I'm at client meetings.

last week I was in a meeting and while the guy was talking I caught a glimpse of his IWC prince xviii. First time I've seen one on the wrist before. Still have no idea what he said during that minute that I was looking at the watch. :P
    Happened to me also. Two clients the other day in a meeting and they both had Rolex subs on - one date and one no date. Saw them both a week later and both had GMT's - one Pepsi and one coke.

Do you think they call each other in the morning to check what they are wearing - maybe I will ask them next time if they both Don a nice timepiece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I walked into Clarke's with my son a few months back and spotted a vintage Heuer Carrera on another customer's wrist. I gave him a compliment which sparked a very pleasant conversation and it transpired that he had owned it from new and bought it in 1969. The first automatic chronograph, he proudly proclaimed. I didn't say that Seiko and Zenith can also lay claim to that title depending on how you look at it.

Lovely watch and not the only conversation I've had with complete strangers about what was on their wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I do fin up to complete strangers underwater when I see a watch on their wrist - freaks them out sometimes if it looks like a interesting mechanical and therefore I move in for a closer look.

R
    Ha Ha, that's truly the behaviour of a WIS!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I don't know what you are saying. I simply innocently commented on the subject of the thread. Is that a problem? Didn't think about it having to be 'Incongrous' so sorry.
    Dude. We don't have a problem. It was just a question. I meant, do you find a financial advisor wearing a dive watch to be incongruous, in the sense that he should be wearing a dress/business watch, or would you consider it to be normalised by current fashion and not at all incongruous? That's all.

I was on the tube coming back from Wembley on Sunday after watching Spurs lose to Chelsea 😥 and noticed a guy wearing a really nice BLNR. He didn't seem in a particularly good mood either!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    I was on the tube coming back from Wembley on Sunday after watching Spurs lose to Chelsea 😥 and noticed a guy wearing a really nice BLNR. He didn't seem in a particularly good mood either!
    BLNR is the ideal watch for a bath rugby fan. Not sure what a spurs supporter would wear to show his support.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    BLNR is the ideal watch for a bath rugby fan. Not sure what a spurs supporter would wear to show his support.

Are you suggesting Spurs fans aren't refined enough to wear these great watches..?! 😉 😊 Then maybe a Mickey Mouse one to match the quality of their defending in the last 10 minutes.😕

Master
    Are you suggesting Spurs fans aren't refined enough to wear these great watches..?! 😉 😊 Then maybe a Mickey Mouse one to match the quality of their defending in the last 10 minutes.😕
    Best chum is a spurs fan so I would never suggest such a thing 😁😁 but must agree about their defending at the end. Let Chelsea off the hook....

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Best chum is a spurs fan so I would never suggest such a thing 😁😁 but must agree about their defending at the end. Let Chelsea off the hook....

Good man 👍

I've nearly stopped sulking about the result now - the wife thinks I'm insufferable with my watch and football fixation!

Master
    Good man 👍

I've nearly stopped sulking about the result now - the wife thinks I'm insufferable with my watch and football fixation!
    My chums wife is lucky as he has no interest in watches. He is a spurs season ticket holder tho, quite a commitment living this side of the Irish sea.

Master
    NB sorry to go off thread 😯😯

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I was at a meeting of the executive committee at work last week and couldn't help looking at watches on show. Out of 8 very well paid execs, I saw 2 Apple watches, 2 sekondas a digital seiko and 3 fashion brands. Not a mechanical watch between them. At least the previous CEO wore a PP annual calendar as his beater!
    Over the last few weeks I've been dealing with a lot of high-level execs (I work in IT!) and have noticed not a single decent timepiece among 20 individuals, all on at least £100k a year, I would think. The best I saw was a quartz TAG. Everything else while not terrible (most of the women I work with seem to have fake jewelled Michael Kors et al.) was hardly worthy of note. Seiko and Accurist quartz pieces, the odd Eco-Drive. Nothing that was obviously chosen to match a shirt or whatever.

Maybe those in charge are too busy making money to worry about service intervals or whether they put it on the watch winder overnight?

Me and a customer spotted each others watches at the same time today!
    Possibly the first Fortis i have seen in the wild.

Not so incongruous, but waiting in the departure lounge for a flight back from Barcelona today, there was an elderly Spanish couple. He was wearing a white dialled Daytona and she a blingy datejust.

Made me think that I may need a white dialled Daytona....

Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    Me and a customer spotted each others watches at the same time today!
    Possibly the first Fortis i have seen in the wild.
    Minkle and Finkle both enjoy Italian food, and long walks on the beach................

(Imagine the theme tune from 'Our tune' playing in the background......)

:-)

Master
    2254.50 just now at the O2 shop, guy in the background looks like he's having a bad day.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk