closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Holidaying in the US? - Fab iPad Deals

Holidaying in the US? - Fab iPad Deals

Currently on holiday in the US and I know many other families will be too.

On the look out for a cheap iPad, and Staples have the latest 9.7" 32 GB, 2017 iPad (not pro) for only $289.

With 6% sales tax (YMMV) and exchange rate of $1.28=£1, it costs an equivalent of £239!

These are £339 in John Lewis.

I'm off to buy a couple. A heads up for those on holiday too.

https://www.staples.com/iPad-9-7-32-...roduct_2520381
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 20th August 2017 at 05:22.

Like the one on SC?

Master
    Thanks for heads up- they have 128gb iPad mini 4 for $299 (£419 in John Lewis) and since I am flying to the US on Monday I have ordered one for the Mrs, she might leave mine alone then!

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Currently on holiday in the US and I know many other families will be too.

On the look out for a cheap iPad, and today only Staples have the latest 9.7" 32 Gb (not pro) for only $289.

With 6% sales tax (YMMV) and exchange rate of $1.28=£1, you'll get it for at total of £239!

These are £339 in John Lewis.

I'm off to buy a couple. A heads up for those on holiday too.

https://www.staples.com/iPad-9-7-32-...roduct_2520381
    Might be charged VAT on arrival?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    Might be charged VAT on arrival?
    At that price - none at all.

edit: actually I see they are buying two that would put you £40 over which amounts to... £1.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    At that price - none at all.

edit: actually I see they are buying two that would put you £40 over which amounts to... £1.
    And buy nothing else?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    And buy nothing else?
    Well I have no idea - they could buy £10,000 worth of gear or nothing else. On my most recent trip to New York, I did splash on a bag of limited edition M&Ms but nothing else so...

Well I have no idea - they could buy £10,000 worth of gear or nothing else. On my most recent trip to New York, I did splash on a bag of limited edition M&Ms but nothing else so...
    Fair enough, was thinking of myself.

Not sure of your calculation though. As I understand it, allowance for goods is £390. Above this, duty is paid on total value of item, not the excess. There will also be VAT (total value or excess?) so overall >£1.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Fair enough, was thinking of myself.

Not sure of your calculation though. As I understand it, allowance for goods is £390. Above this, duty is paid on total value of item, not the excess. There will also be VAT (total value or excess?) so overall >£1.
    No that's wrong - It's total value of goods if a single item is worth more than £390, if it's two items individually worth less, it's 2.5% (upto £630) on the amount over the threshold - however double-checking if the amount owned is less than £9 you pay less than nothing. There is the caveat you *might* be asked to pay VAT to allow them that option but in reality here that would never happen.

No that's wrong - It's total value of goods if a single item is worth more than £390, if it's two items individually worth less, it's 2.5% (upto £630) on the amount over the threshold - however double-checking if the amount owned is less than £9 you pay less than nothing. There is the caveat you *might* be asked to pay VAT to allow them that option but in reality here that would never happen.
    Thanks, good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    Thanks for heads up- they have 128gb iPad mini 4 for $299 (£419 in John Lewis) and since I am flying to the US on Monday I have ordered one for the Mrs, she might leave mine alone then!
    Best Buy are doing the iPad mini 4 for 128 GB for $280.

That's equivalent to £232 including the sales tax. Nearly half the John Lewis price.

I ended up overhauling our Apple products by buying two iPads and one iPad mini. At these prices it was a no brainer. There's enough of us so that customs duty is not an issue.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-i...=ref:212,loc:2
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 20th August 2017 at 05:17.