closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone else wear a watch on each wrist?

I’m playing devils advocate here as I’m a watch lover, but the comment that you do not like wearables because its dead money after two years really doesn’t work.

A ball park basic sum / example that a Techy could argue against a WIS:

I like the Rolex Explorer and would like to get it =
    £4800.

Servicing over say 40 years =
    £2000

Total of 40 years ownership, lets say =
    £6800.

An basic Apple watch at the moment in the UK =
    £269

No servicing / repair should be needed over a two year life span.

So £6800 divided by £269 =
    25 Apple Watches

25 x 2 year Apple watch cycle =
    50 years worth of smart watch ownership for my Rolex.

Now, I’d probably need to add another service in for the Rolex for the extra 10 years to get to 50 years of ownership, adding to more smart watch budget. Also the Techy could flog his old smart watch each time for a hundred quid… making more money back etc, etc. (£500 extra Rolex service + £2500 second hand sales = £3000 more in Techy pocket)

You can make numbers work to prove any point (I used a luxury item against a base tech product), but there are always other factors at play. The one here is we love mechanicals / traditional watches and all that goes with them!

Master
    I don't think it's about replacing one with the other. The discussion is smart watch/activity band/whatever in addition to a regular watch. Of course a tech gadget will be a cost on top of the other watch(es). Personally I don't upgrade my tech just because a newer, better version is out. I tend to keep using stuff until it (a) completely dies; (b) is on its last legs and I fear being without it for even a few days; or (c) key functionality breaks. So probably more than 2 years for me.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    I don't think it's about replacing one with the other. The discussion is smart watch/activity band/whatever in addition to a regular watch. Of course a tech gadget will be a cost on top of the other watch(es). Personally I don't upgrade my tech just because a newer, better version is out. I tend to keep using stuff until it (a) completely dies; (b) is on its last legs and I fear being without it for even a few days; or (c) key functionality breaks. So probably more than 2 years for me.
    No I understand your original point FK – i was just replying to the tangent comments! :)

I just keep reading on here about it being dead money buying a smart watch and it all depends on perspective. An Apple product usually has a 5 year life cycle before they phase out iOS support, so imagine I factored that into the sums... we'd be into buying them for grandkids ;-)

I don't own a smart watch BTW...

someone came into my work a few weeks back with a rolex on his left and a fitbit on the right, I noticed but I recon most people would not. I do not think its looked out of place

A watch and a Fitbit looks like a watch and a charity wristband at a glance, so most people won't notice. 2 watches does look a bit silly in comparison - and if eg an Apple Watch had an 'always on' display I don't see the point in wearing a smart watch and a mechanical - and tbh I'd probably only wear a mechanical for smart or special occasions (and I've been wearing autos for 25 years interspersed with a few g shocks). I think the mechanical watches days are numbered beyond jewellery lovers/enthusiasts no matter whether we like it or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    No I understand your original point FK – i was just replying to the tangent comments! :)

I just keep reading on here about it being dead money buying a smart watch and it all depends on perspective. An Apple product usually has a 5 year life cycle before they phase out iOS support, so imagine I factored that into the sums... we'd be into buying them for grandkids ;-)

I don't own a smart watch BTW...
    Ah understood now

Craftsman
    I’m playing devils advocate here as I’m a watch lover, but the comment that you do not like wearables because its dead money after two years really doesn’t work.

You can make numbers work to prove any point (I used a luxury item against a base tech product), but there are always other factors at play. The one here is we love mechanicals / traditional watches and all that goes with them!
    Seems strange to conflate cost of purchase with cost of servicing. If you're going to look at cost of servicing, etc. then you should probably factor in the purchase of iPhones and macbooks, etc. as you need those to make the apple watch worthwhile and/or function.

You should also look at the end position. With most Rolex sports watches, it'll have appreciated over time. The 50th Apple watch post use will be worth GBP 100 at the end of you example. The net difference between the two positions in year 50 is pretty significant.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    A watch and a Fitbit looks like a watch and a charity wristband at a glance, so most people won't notice. 2 watches does look a bit silly in comparison - and if eg an Apple Watch had an 'always on' display I don't see the point in wearing a smart watch and a mechanical - and tbh I'd probably only wear a mechanical for smart or special occasions (and I've been wearing autos for 25 years interspersed with a few g shocks). I think the mechanical watches days are numbered beyond jewellery lovers/enthusiasts no matter whether we like it or not
    Agreed, Fitbits etc. have a much lower profile and look like just another band. My Apple watch in comparison is chunky so unless hidden under the sleeve, is more noticeable. I was at a birthday party yesterday and talking to one of the other dads about Apple products in general. Even after the conversation turned towards their watches, he still hadn't seen mine until I pulled the sleeve up to give him a demo. It makes sense to have the display on permanently when it is the only watch one's wearing but mine only comes on when I twist the wrist towards me.

Quote Originally Posted by crooky13 View Post
    Seems strange to conflate cost of purchase with cost of servicing. If you're going to look at cost of servicing, etc. then you should probably factor in the purchase of iPhones and macbooks, etc. as you need those to make the apple watch worthwhile and/or function.

You should also look at the end position. With most Rolex sports watches, it'll have appreciated over time. The 50th Apple watch post use will be worth GBP 100 at the end of you example. The net difference between the two positions in year 50 is pretty significant.
    I wasn't looking at just cost of purchase, but cost of ownership. And I do take your valid point on needing extra kit to make them work - but there is not many without the nessercary kit to power one these day as an essential tool for their life.

But every £249 Apple watch would be £149 each time with the sell off... The Rolex would have a lot more value after 50 years but you'd have spent less over the 50 years on your smart watches. As I said you can twist numbers to fit any point. Management consultants have been doing it for many years!

As an aside point, the servicing cost should always be a factor in any watch you buy. As with a car.

You may not need a phone soon for smart watches, but you'll probably need a contract. Which I think will actually harm them more than they realise - who wants another bill?!

Agreed, Fitbits etc. have a much lower profile and look like just another band. My Apple watch in comparison is chunky so unless hidden under the sleeve, is more noticeable. I was at a birthday party yesterday and talking to one of the other dads about Apple products in general. Even after the conversation turned towards their watches, he still hadn't seen mine until I pulled the sleeve up to give him a demo. It makes sense to have the display on permanently when it is the only watch one's wearing but mine only comes on when I twist the wrist towards me.
    Can you have the display on constantly? I was looking at one on a girls wrist today and that was the thing I dislike most... the fact it looked like a lump of black not showing off any colour or info!

Master
    Can you have the display on constantly? I was looking at one on a girls wrist today and that was the thing I dislike most... the fact it looked like a lump of black not showing off any colour or info!
    Just looked at the settings and can't find anything that would make the display constantly on. Can only choose whether or not to show when wrist is raised so I guess if I turn that off it would only come on at the press of a button or tap on the screen, which would be super annoying. So the answer to your question is probably 'no'.

Blog Entries
    Can you have the display on constantly?
    If you could, the battery would only last a few hours at best.

Just looked at the settings and can't find anything that would make the display constantly on. Can only choose whether or not to show when wrist is raised so I guess if I turn that off it would only come on at the press of a button or tap on the screen, which would be super annoying. So the answer to your question is probably 'no'.
    Which is as I remember it from the keynote... I agree taping the screen would take away the whole point!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I wear a dive computer on one side and a watch on the other while diving. But that's the only ever time I would have two 'watches' on at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    I wear a garmin that has an LCD display - always on - on right wrist. And wear whatever watch I want on my left wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    That is true. I charge it every night as I feel it may not last the whole of the following day. Especially after a day of heavy use of the RunKeeper and/or Workout apps that use quite a bit of battery due to constant HR monitoring/measuring burnt calories.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I wear a garmin that has an LCD display - always on - on right wrist. And wear whatever watch I want on my left wrist.
    My mistake, I was under the impression that the people I was responding to were discussing the Apple Watch.

I have a Breitling Orbiter Emergency that I wear when traveling by plane on the alternate wrist to my other watch. It's a silly suspicion of mine and only wear it on the journey.

I spent most of one year in India where they have the added complication of a half hour time difference. I often wore two watches on days when I wasn't desk based (frequently) as I couldn't do the time difference conversion quickly in my head; I had a few complaints from people being woken up by me at 6am. On days at my desk I would simply have my laptop clock on UK time and dispense with the second watch.

Here are some of the Friday shots at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post

Have you still got the Dynamic? I've often thought that if I got an Omega it would be the three handed version.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Have you still got the Dynamic? I've often thought that if I got an Omega it would be the three handed version.
    No, I sold it to a mate last year.

Fitness band + watch: fine. Two watches, I'm with Izzaard:

...you've crossed the line into looking like a d*ckhead!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    I have a Breitling Orbiter Emergency that I wear when traveling by plane on the alternate wrist to my other watch. It's a silly suspicion of mine and only wear it on the journey.
    What an honest response. I don't wear two at-a-time, but I do wear a travelling watch, but I just take the one. My justification to myself is that it shows the day, date and month in addition to the time. If it is a holiday then i might lose track of the day of the week... Hopefully I would not lose track enough to miss my flight back! I haven't so far.

But, yes, maybe a superstition. Watch folk can be odd folk.

The health kick has got me 8kg down and now to shift the last 3kg and 4% body fat I've got a Fitbit using it right wrist as well as a traditional watch on my left as normal. No comments yet!

Craftsman
    One of the things to consider is that modern tech quickly becomes obsolete. I was probably one of the very first people in my Institution to have a personal mobile phone, way back in 1993. It was a "People's Phone" CTN 7000, no use at all now because of course they dropped the analogue system. I'm sure that my 1st Gen Apple Watch will be obsolete in the not too distant future..........

.... and yet I can pull my Grandfather's gold hunter pocket watch out of the safe that was bought in 1931, give it a wind and use it for its intended purpose just as well as the day it purchased....
    Last edited by PDR; 22nd September 2017 at 09:39.

Er.....

Whilst this will attract the opprobrium of other members here I have to admit that I do.

A mechanical on the left and a quartz on the left, started as a way of checking how the mechanicals were performing over the day, due to the complicating factor of too many watches for my own good it slowly morphed into habit. And as is the way, habit has become practice.

I apologise now to those whose sensibilities are offended, so I don't have to if we should ever meet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by strutjack View Post
    A mechanical on the left and a quartz on the left

Sorry, sorry!

I thought you asked about wrist and ankle!

Of course I would never wear watches on both my left and right wrists, I'd look a proper Charlie.

Doh.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by strutjack View Post
    Sorry, sorry!

I thought you asked about wrist and ankle!

Of course I would never wear watches on both my left and right wrists, I'd look a proper Charlie.

Doh.
    No worries ... each to their own

Journeyman
    Astronauts usually wear two wristwatches.

If TGV wears two then that's all the reason I need

not to