closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else wear a watch on each wrist?

Master

Question Does anyone else wear a watch on each wrist?

Thanks to a discount heads up on this forum, I bought an Apple Watch Nike+ recently. The original thought was to track my workouts better i.e. wear it ONLY at the gym or while running instead of my main watch. However, since getting it I have realised it is best utilised by keeping it on the wrist all the time so that it monitors and measures various health metrics throughout the day. Now I love my "nice" watch and can't not wear it just because I have decided to stay informed of my activity levels. Since day 1 of starting to use the fitness tracker/watch, I have been wearing both - Apple Watch on the right and the other one on the left wrist (as before).

So far in 1 working week no one has commented, probably because I wear long sleeve shirts to work so one or both are hidden most of the time. The only exception has been my dentist but that was probably because I was wearing a half sleeved t-shirt during the appointment. Anyway I am not bothered about what others may think as I have good reasons to wear both and am not going to change that based on anyone's perceptions. However, I am curious and would like to know if anyone else here does the same i.e. wears two watches (of any kind) simultaneously?

I've taken to wearing a Fatbit on my right wrist in order to tell myself I'm still alive, and of course still wear a real watch on my left wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I've taken to wearing a Fatbit on my right wrist in order to tell myself I'm still alive, and of course still wear a real watch on my left wrist.
    That's what I do - Fitbit looks like a band and is hidden under short sleeve.

Craftsman
    My mother (age 65) wears two watches. She has two Rolex datejust's. She bought a 26mm about 15 years ago and absolutely loves it but due to the size and silver dial she has been struggling to read the time. A few months ago we were out shopping and she tried a blue dial 31mm and immediately fell in love with it. When I saw her a couple of weeks back I asked her how she was getting on with the new watch, she said she loves it but also can't not wear her old one so she thought why not just wear both and that's exactly what she's been doing, one on each wrist just like Diego Maradona!

Like others here, I wear a fitbit on the right to tell me to move my office bound butt and stretch my legs, I wear a real watch on my left as always.

Master
    I don't, but I imagine I will once the smart watches become something you just can't live without (like phones nowadays).

Master
    When in the house, frequently. Too man nice watches and not enough time to appreciate one at a time :) Outside though? Not a chance, I'd feel like a right twit be it a second watch or a fitness tracker.

For the last year or so I've been wearing my watch as normal on my left wrist, with a Fitbit on my right wrist. I've had maybe three comments about it in that time.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Watch on the right, Fitbit on the left here. Some of my colleagues like to jokingly taunt me for 'wearing two watches', but most people don't even notice

Master
    Wow. So not as uncommon as I thought. I have never seen anyone with more than one so thought it was a bit unusual hence started this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    My mother (age 65) wears two watches. She has two Rolex datejust's. She bought a 26mm about 15 years ago and absolutely loves it but due to the size and silver dial she has been struggling to read the time. A few months ago we were out shopping and she tried a blue dial 31mm and immediately fell in love with it. When I saw her a couple of weeks back I asked her how she was getting on with the new watch, she said she loves it but also can't not wear her old one so she thought why not just wear both and that's exactly what she's been doing, one on each wrist just like Diego Maradona!
    Interesting. Most people don't "need" a conventional watch these days so in many cases a watch is an item of jewellery after all and not much different to wearing multiple rings I suppose.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post

Interesting. Most people don't "need" a conventional watch these days so in many cases a watch is an item of jewellery after all and not much different to wearing multiple rings I suppose.
    Yes essentially she wears the other as a bracelet and many rings!

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I don't, but I imagine I will once the smart watches become something you just can't live without (like phones nowadays).
    Hope that day never arrives. The day I need a watch to tell me to get off my ass is a long way away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    The day I need a watch to tell me to get off my ass is a long way away
    Fitness trackers do a lot more than telling you it's time to stand up. Like I said, I only bought one as a workout tool but the information (accuracy of which I haven't yet determined) available to the wearer is actually quite revealing. For example I had no idea what sort of walking distance I covered during a normal working day (office job, sitting in front of a computer)! I now feel a lot better about myself than I did before lol.

Master
    Fitbit Flex 2 on the right, watch on left, like many others. Even a few non WIS at work do that where they have some knackered old Rotary or Timex, so no-one comments. And the Flex is the least obtrusive fitbit, whilst still giving me enough info via the app.

Master
    I don't and I hope i never will!!!😮

Blog Entries
    Err no...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by asteclaru View Post
    Watch on the right, Fitbit on the left here. Some of my colleagues like to jokingly taunt me for 'wearing two watches', but most people don't even notice
    Big difference between noticing and commenting.. I see folk on the tube with watches so big it makes the individual look like an utter bell, but I don't tell them that :) (part manners, part self preservation)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Big difference between noticing and commenting.. I see folk on the tube with watches so big it makes the individual look like an utter bell, but I don't tell them that :) (part manners, part self preservation)
    True. No comments could actually mean no comment.

I'm wearing two today, as I'm traveling and all my watch travel cases are full too.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    True, but since no one ever bothered to bring it up so far, I think it's safe to assume that they either don't notice or simply don't care. Either way I could not be less concerned of what others think of it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I'm wearing two today, as I'm traveling and all my watch travel cases are full too.
    Show off lol.

Master
    Either way I could not be less concerned of what others think of it.
    Me neither

Christ no,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    If I saw somebody dual wielding watches in public or in the office.... I'd think they have no awareness of social norms.

And I love watches.

Master
    Blog Entries

😎

I changes wrists when wearing the Panerai and in a hotel room alone when travelling.

😋

If we assume the OP wasn't meaning fitbits, and actually meant "does anyone wear a WATCH on each wrist", then I'm surprised no one has mentioned the elephant in the room. Wear a GMT - I assume you would be wearing two watches to tell two times so..... am I missing something here? Watched some of TGV vids on YouTube and when he says he's "pulling a Schwartzkopf" I cringe so much it hurts

Craftsman
    A few two watch wearers:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    If we assume the OP wasn't meaning fitbits, and actually meant "does anyone wear a WATCH on each wrist", then I'm surprised no one has mentioned the elephant in the room. Wear a GMT - I assume you would be wearing two watches to tell two times so..... am I missing something here? Watched some of TGV vids on YouTube and when he says he's "pulling a Schwartzkopf" I cringe so much it hurts
    I meant watch of ANY type. FitBits are worn on wrists and while their main purpose is something else, pretty sure they tell time also which makes them watches in my opinion. Just like I wear an Apple Watch as a fitness tool only while it is really classed as a smart watch first and activity tracker second. My specific use of it doesn't change what it is.

Don't think anyone has suggested they wear 2 watches to tell time in two different time zones so yes, you probably are missing the point.

Craftsman
    Guys, this is a watch forum. We discuss real watches, not some electronic wearable junk nobody reall needs. Fitbits, apple watch, Samsung gear, etc useless rubbish.

To be honest I did wear a Fitbit on my right wrist some years ago, but I was looking like a tool and luckily I lost it. I will not waste more money on stuff like this

Journeyman
    Good god no!

Two watches?

Not 'alf!

Another FitBit on the right, real watch on the left wearer. Though sometimes I go without one or the other.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    Guys, this is a watch forum. We discuss real watches, not some electronic wearable junk nobody reall needs. Fitbits, apple watch, Samsung gear, etc useless rubbish.

To be honest I did wear a Fitbit on my right wrist some years ago, but I was looking like a tool and luckily I lost it. I will not waste more money on stuff like this
    Arguably most people don't really need a "real" watch either these days but we still love and wear them. Loads of people think of us, who wear a watch in this day and age, when you can check the time just by looking at the corner of the screen/phone/dashboard or even by looking around in most places, are nothing more than bling displaying "tools". Doesn't mean they are right.

Last time I checked this forum was about watches which includes mechanical, quartz, electronic everything. Please correct me if that's not the case.

Craftsman
    Fitbit in the left for me, real watch on the right. Although as I'm currently working in Mexico the real watch is a Citizen that cost less than the Fitbit. Used to work with a guy that wore two watches on the same wrist - one that worked and one that had belonged to his dear departed father.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I meant watch of ANY type. FitBits are worn on wrists and while their main purpose is something else, pretty sure they tell time also which makes them watches in my opinion. Just like I wear an Apple Watch as a fitness tool only while it is really classed as a smart watch first and activity tracker second. My specific use of it doesn't change what it is.

Don't think anyone has suggested they wear 2 watches to tell time in two different time zones so yes, you probably are missing the point.
    Nah- I don't think I am missing the point. If it's main purpose isn't telling the time then it's not a watch imho.

Master
    Fair enough

Arguably most people don't really need a "real" watch either these days but we still love and wear them. Loads of people think of us, who wear a watch in this day and age, when you can check the time just by looking at the corner of the screen/phone/dashboard or even by looking around in most places, are nothing more than bling displaying "tools". Doesn't mean they are right.

Last time I checked this forum was about watches which includes mechanical, quartz, electronic everything. Please correct me if that's not the case.
    You are right FK... everything is up for discussion. The new electronic wrist technology is challenging the 'wrist real estate' of the world and is certainly a good area to debate.

Back to the point, in school I had two swatches and I just worse them both, one on each wrist. Colourful jobs they were! My thinking was - why the hell not...
    I wanted to go to design school and when I went to an interview for a course at Croydon college this 'quirk' was what lead to me being the youngest person ever allowed onto the course - I started it 10 days after my 16th birthday. The course leader was going to put me into a foundation for a year but she said the two watches left an impression on her and she felt it show good creative qualities. So not all negative!

I think overtime we might see more trackers on the right, watch on the left (I think Apple will do a tracker when they feel people who will wear the watch have a watch and are in that product category for life. It will be basic tool to send you to look at the phone - hopefully look s lot nicer than Fitbit which are dreadful looking lumps) Like you say, I feel to make the most off the Apple you need it on most of the time.
    Last edited by OliverCD; 20th August 2017 at 09:48.

Craftsman
    Didn't Chris Gardner of 'The pursuit of happyness' fame wear two watches?

Craftsman

More seriously the issue I have with wearables is their limited life. In 2 years max they will be obsolete, battery will not last, and nobody would bother repairing them. So they are good for the bin.

Compare this to real watches where some lasts decades with proper servicing. And more importantly look as good or even better when they were brand new. Even Casio G-Shocks can last 20+ years.

Gold Day date on one wrist, platinum" the other. Who needs a GMT?
    It's just a matter of time...

Mechanical on the left wrist and a pebble smart watch on the right dominant wrist.

Too useful having a smartwatch for phone notifications and I am too wedded to my mechanical watches and the occasional gshock.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    Back to the point, in school I had two swatches and I just worse them both, one on each wrist. Colourful jobs they were! My thinking was - why the hell not...
    I wanted to go to design school and when I went to an interview for a course at Croydon college this 'quirk' was what lead to me being the youngest person ever allowed onto the course - I started it 10 days after my 16th birthday. The course leader was going to put me into a foundation for a year but she said the two watches left an impression on her and she felt it show good creative qualities. So not all negative!
    Great story

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xpatx View Post
    Didn't Chris Gardner of 'The pursuit of happyness' fame wear two watches?
    One of my all time favourite movies but never noticed two watches. Any excuse to watch that movie yet again!

Ditto - I wear my proper watch on my right wrist and Fitbit/Fatbit on my left.

Sent from TZ-UK app on an iPhone

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post

Lovely story. I'm a member of the "Fatbit on the right/proper watch on the left" gang.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by NickRed71; 20th August 2017 at 17:53.

Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    More seriously the issue I have with wearables is their limited life. In 2 years max they will be obsolete, battery will not last, and nobody would bother repairing them. So they are good for the bin.

Compare this to real watches where some lasts decades with proper servicing. And more importantly look as good or even better when they were brand new. Even Casio G-Shocks can last 20+ years.

I honestly don't care - fitness trackers are so cheap now, it's no different to me than buying something clothes that will go in the bin in a couple of years.

A friend of mine wears a watch and a fitbit , personally I think it looks alright .

Craftsman
    I have been wearing my AppleWatch on my right wrist from the day it arrived in May 2015 (original series 1. online pre-order Apple fanboy) as I saw a specific major advantage for my work....
    20727825_10155461041156397_8548181785751863303_n

I have my iPhone in a Otterbox case / belt holster on my left hip and I was for ever getting phone calls, messages and notifications at the most inopportune time.....

Now I can hold a snake in my left hand as per usual and glance at my right wrist while the fingers of my right hand massage the venom glands in the sides of the snake's head. Doesn't interfere with my work and at least I know if the missed call or message was important or not.

I wouldn't wear two regular watches...... but my Sinn U2 and AppleWatch combo feels perfectly normal to me now.

(my right hand is out of the above shot as we were filming at the time).