closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage Omega Help

Journeyman

Vintage Omega Help

A good friend of mine is about to pull the trigger on this 1960's Seamaster DeVille, he's a bit unsure on spending £2,600 on it unless it's definitely worth it. I thought I'd ask for him and see if there was any insight you gents had that might help his decision. As ever I appreciate the help. Link below.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/362074909444?_mwBanner=1

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

There's a cleaner example on C24 with a BoR bracelet for 2525

Master
    Listed as 36mm but I suspect they're actually 35mm, worth checking. Beautiful things, so long as your friend is aware it is actually a very small watch by current chronograph standards, which could come as a shock. Can't comment on the price.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    There's a cleaner example on C24 with a BoR bracelet for 2525
    Thanks will have a look!!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Listed as 36mm but I suspect they're actually 35mm, worth checking. Beautiful things, so long as your friend is aware it is actually a very small watch by current chronograph standards, which could come as a shock. Can't comment on the price.
    No that's good to know! Thanks for that

Master
    The ebay seller gives their website in the ad.

On their website there is no ebay fee so it's £150 cheaper:
    http://chronoaddict.com/watches/show/id/173

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nwokoj View Post
    No that's good to know! Thanks for that

I own the reverse panda dial version, it is 35mm but the pushers and thin bezel make it appear bigger on the wrist (not as big as it appears in the wrist shot on eBay which must have been modelled by a small adult or a very hairy child!). It's a great watch and regularly draws positive comments when worn, but I'd say it was more of an elegant dress chronograph than a sports watch.

The seconds subdial on the C24 one is discoloured which would be a deal breaker for me even though it has the correct bracelet and (apparently) has been serviced. If your pal is still keen after knowing the size I'd advise being patient and look for a mint condition one. No idea whether the prices being asked are reasonable as I don't think they crop up all that often.

Cheers

Ian
    Last edited by brownip; 26th August 2017 at 11:06.

Grand Master
    I'd be a lot happer buying this if I'd actually handled it, I'm not a fan of buying vintage watches from photos unless I'm buying as a fixer upper. I'd want some assurance that it' s been serviced properly too at this money.

These are quite rare so it's hard to put a price on them, but this is a strong price IMO and it needs to be absolutely right to justify the cost. Is it waterproof?.......it should be if it's been sorted out properly with new seals everywhere.

As for the size, that's a big plus in my eyes! I'd like one of these myself, I find the size appealing because I dislike modern big watches.........but others will think the exact opposite and the buyer needs to be aware of this.

Condition of the dial is v. important on a watch like this, and the only way to really tell is to see the watch.

Saw a nice solid gold one on chrono24 but the was £5k. At that price I'd definitely need to inspect it!

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 24th August 2017 at 12:57.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    The ebay seller gives their website in the ad.

On their website there is no ebay fee so it's £150 cheaper:
    http://chronoaddict.com/watches/show/id/173
    Oh jeez! Nice spot! Thanks

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by brownip View Post
    I own the reverse panda dial version, it is 35mm but the pushers and thin bezel make it appear bigger on the wrist (not as big as it appears in the wrist shot on eBay which must have been modelled by a small adult or a very hairy child!). It's a great watch and regularly draws positive comments when worn, but I'd say it was more of an elegant dress chronograph than a sports watch.

The seconds subdial on the C24 one is discoloured which would be a deal breaker for me even though it has the correct bracelet and (apparently) has been serviced. If your pal is still keen after knowing the size I'd advise being patient and look for a mint condition one. No idea whether the prices being asked are reasonable as I don't think they don't crop up all that often.

Cheers

Ian
    Thanks Ian! I think he's after a dress watch which is ideal and I think someone found one without the discolouration on chrono24 so just compiling replies and passing them back to him! Thanks for taking the time, much appreciated!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I'd be a lot happer buying this if I'd actually handled it, I'm not a fan of buying vintage watches from photos unless I'm buying as a fixer upper. I'd want some assurance that it' s been serviced properly too at this money.

These are quite rare so it's hard to put a price on them, but this is a strong price IMO and it needs to be absolutely right to justify the cost. Is it waterproof?.......it should be if it's been sorted out properly with new seals everywhere.

As for the size, that's a big plus in my eyes! I'd like one of these myself, I find the size appealing because I dislike modern big watches.........but others will think the exact opposite and the buyer needs to be aware of this.

Condition of the dial is v. important on a watch like this, and the only way to really tell is to see the watch.

Saw a nice solid gold one on chrono24 but the was £5k. At that price I'd definitely need to inspect it!

Paul
    Yeah I gather it is a tough one hence the varied replies, anyway thanks for the questions to ask il make sure he does! Cheers