closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fitness / Sports / Smart watches

Craftsman

Fitness / Sports / Smart watches

I do a fair amount of mountain biking and I like to keep the tech down to a minimum, so I generally make use of the Strava iPhone app.

But, what GPS / fitness watches would you recommend or do you wear?

Ideally, I'd like something that has a h/r monitor and good GPS tracking that can be synced with Strava.

The TomTom Adenturer looks quite good, any other recommendations?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tomtom-adven...7C5360794373uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Not sure about the syncing with Strava but i own an apple watch which works great at tracking most exercise. I use mine for gym, squash, running and cycling.

Craftsman
    But is that simply relying on the GPS in the iPhone? Also no h/r monitor?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by db3266 View Post
    But is that simply relying on the GPS in the iPhone? Also no h/r monitor?

It does monitor heart rate. I have a series 1 which relies on GPS from iPhone but i believe the Series 2 doesn’t.

If you want something that will take a bash:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/casio-wsd-f20

Master
    Garmin fenix is the best imo at the moment real use battery life of a week for me too

Craftsman
    Garmin Fenix is a good versatile sport watch (waterproof, sapphire etc). . If specificity for cycling/running and with tighter budget I would recommend Garmin FR245 (200 eur with heart monitor integrated - means no chest band - and GPS). Battery lasts about 2 weeks with moderate usage, fast GPS synchronisation. Can't help with STRAVA - Garmin has own apps and programs for analysis

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    The range of Fenix watches get good write ups,i do a lot of mtb riding i just use the fitbit charge hr2 mainly for heart rate zones

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattwilko92 View Post
    It does monitor heart rate. I have a series 1 which relies on GPS from iPhone but i believe the Series 2 doesn’t.
    Correct. Series 2 doesn't need iPhone and can work standalone with its own GPS then sync with iPhone later when connected. However, they recommend using it with the phone initially a few times at least, claiming this will improve accuracy when used standalone later.

Craftsman
    Another Fenix user here.

I’ve set mine up that the Garmin app that syncs with my watch is linked to my Strava account so my workouts show up on there as well.

Master
    Strava does work with Apple Watch too https://www.strava.com/apple-watch?hl=en-GB

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Strava does work with Apple Watch too https://www.strava.com/apple-watch?hl=en-GB
    Nice. Thanks.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    Garmin fenix is the best imo at the moment real use battery life of a week for me too
    Cheers. Will take a look. I have a Garmin account that is linked to my Strava account, so this could be an option.

Craftsman
    I still like my Polar V800 (but hope to see a new top model from the Polar soon). I don't use the Strava so not aware about syncing.

Craftsman
    I've got the Forerunner 230. If you want a built in HR sensor then the 235 would be the one to go for, although I'm not bothered about that sort of thing and I'm not sure the built in monitor is very accurate.

It seems pretty good so far, accurate and picks up GPS fast. You can link it with Strava so any workouts get sent to Strava as well. Very configurable too with different faces and apps. There's always warehouse deals on amazon too so you can get a few quid off RRP

Craftsman
    Try www.dcrainmaker.com

His blog and reviews are excellent and helped me choose my Garmin Forerunner

I wear a FitBit (ChargeHR) tracker every day and night apart from when running/cycling. This is on my right wrist with another watch on my left.
    When running the ChargeHR goes on charge and I wear a FitBit Surge on my left wrist.

Partly because of my failing eyesight, the Surge is really just a tracker not a training device. It will tell me where I've been on my bike, running pace etc but I don't use it for 'live' pace or HR training. It will do more that I do with it.

Fitbit integrates well with Strava - within seconds of the Surge syncing with either my phone or laptop the run/ride is available on Strava.

Master
    I do a fair amount of mountain biking and I like to keep the tech down to a minimum, so I generally make use of the Strava iPhone app.

But, what GPS / fitness watches would you recommend or do you wear?

Ideally, I'd like something that has a h/r monitor and good GPS tracking that can be synced with Strava.

The TomTom Adenturer looks quite good, any other recommendations?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tomtom-adven...7C5360794373uk

I've been using the previous model TomTom for 18 months and it's been great. The HR is reasonably accurate when tested against a 'proper' monitor, albeit it sometimes takes a few minutes at the start of a run to settle down. The GPS is equally good and can be synced to most things.

Mine is the version with Bluetooth link to headphones so I can listen to podcasts when running, and it's a bit sensitive to (a) which headphones work well (b) which wrist you wear it on - I have to wear it on my right wrist when running as the transmitter clearly isn't that powerful and I get reception problems. I've tried several different sets og in-ear headphones and they're all affected - depends where the receiver head is I suppose.

Craftsman
    I had the pre-HR fenix 3 which was great while it worked. Unfortunately it just up and died one day mid workout.

This happened right outside of warranty and I had used it only for cycling and the occasional run.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidsteruk View Post
    Try www.dcrainmaker.com

His blog and reviews are excellent and helped me choose my Garmin Forerunner
    Thanks for the link.

Craftsman
    With any of these watches, are there apps that show you h/r stats through the day? I.e., could I see a log of my h/r in any 24 hour period?

Master
    With any of these watches, are there apps that show you h/r stats through the day? I.e., could I see a log of my h/r in any 24 hour period?

On the TomTom ones you certainly can, though not on the watch itself - need to download the data, which is simplicity itself

Craftsman
    Ok cheers. The TomTom's are my favourite so far.

Journeyman
    Another vote for the Apple watch here. I've got the 1st variant, use it every time I cycle, on and off-road. I've also found it great for off bike exercise as well.

Master
    I'm still getting used to my Apple Watch. Just did some (painful) stretches while sitting down so not enough movement to register on GPS. Quite impressed that it still managed to identify that as "exercise" and recorded "active calories", presumably purely using the LEDs against the wrist.

Craftsman
    Thanks. I'll try to get time to pop into an Apple Store and check them out.

Earlier today I ordered the TomTom spark cardio/music as I've been getting into jogging recently. Currently on offer at £93.49 so thought I'd give it a go

Craftsman
    My 1st gen Apple Watch was great for running, surprisingly accurate for something that doesn't have a gps chip in it, to within a quarter of a mile over 6 miles.

One day it just stopped being accurate though, added to the occasional problem of standing at the start line of a race stabbing the screen with my finger and it just not kicking off the run, led me to the garmin.

Master
    I'he had my Garmin FR235 over a year and use it on average 4-5 times a week. It has always performed flawlessly (unlike my Edge 520!).

All in all very happy with it. Occasionally I toy with the idea of a Fenix but in all honesty the 235 is all I really need.

Master
    Garmin Vivosmart HR+ works well and has independent gps maseman

I tried all the Fitbit models and they don't work well for this function unless you take your phone with you (connected GPS) which is rather pointless.

I have a friend that uses the Garmin and he loves it. Can't go wrong with TomTom either.

Craftsman
    I had a fitbit blaze that lasted ten days before it went belly up on the battery front . I was not impressed how easy it marked too so it went back . Her indoors is on her second fitbit ( battery again ) but i was thinking about the tom tom spark iirc too but i use the runkeeper app just for tracking when i go out on the bike for basic distance / time guff

Quote Originally Posted by P ELLIS View Post
    I had a fitbit blaze that lasted ten days before it went belly up on the battery front . I was not impressed how easy it marked too so it went back . Her indoors is on her second fitbit ( battery again ) but i was thinking about the tom tom spark iirc too but i use the runkeeper app just for tracking when i go out on the bike for basic distance / time guff
    I went through two Fitbit Blaze batteries (under warranty) before it headed off to fleaBay, the Charge 2 is great but no GPS... Hence I don't see Fitbit as offering a real answer here. Shame software is very good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by D3ckard View Post
    I went through two Fitbit Blaze batteries (under warranty) before it headed off to fleaBay, the Charge 2 is great but no GPS... Hence I don't see Fitbit as offering a real answer here. Shame software is very good IMO.
    There's the Surge but it's a bit long in the tooth.
    As above, I have a Surge and a Charge HR. Actually I've just noticed they don't do the Surge any longer. I've never considered the Blaze as a replacement as imo it's designed to be worn all the time whereas the Surge is something I put on for running/cycling. Also, the Blaze doesn't have its own GPS which pretty much kills it for how I want to use it. I'm looking to replace both of them in the medium term so will look out for whatever's replacing the Surge. I could replace the Charge HR with either Charge 2 or Alta HR but am looking to see what they have new for 2018.
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 24th August 2017 at 12:09.

How much do you want to spend?

There are a few top end options although more limited if you want music storage?

The Garmin 935 or Fenix 5 (middle sized one not the 'S' or 'X') are fantastic with everything except music storage (which kills it for me as I want to ditch the need for a separate mp3 player on my arm)

https://www.wareable.com/garmin/gami...runner-935-220

Tom Tom Runner 3 Cardio+Music is a good option but I'm not sold on it's looks although OK if you only want to wear for exercise?

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sports/...k-green-large/

Polar do the M600 which has music storage as well as everything else...

https://www.polar.com/uk-en/products...GPS-smartwatch

If you just want GPS and a few training features with limited smart watch features then the Garmin FR235 is hard to beat.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/529988

All the above have built in GPS, Optical HRM.

I'm waiting to see if tyhe new AW series 3 is worth buying or if to look for a discounted series 2.
    I'd be all over the Garmin's if they had music storage...perhaps one day?
    Neil.

Just re-read your post.

If you want biking/cycling features the 935 or Fenix 5 are great options as is the FR735XT

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/541225

Gets a good review

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/05/...lon-watch.html

Neither has built in music storage though so (if you want music whilst you ride/train) you will need another device as well.

Of course this is due out anytime now...

Here's the ladies version or for those with a smaller wrist...