closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many Watches makes you a collector ?

Apprentice

None....

Once you can't stop changing or acquiring. You could only own one watch and keep flipping it and swapping with all sorts of different watches. It's a state of mind not a number. or I should say an affliction.

Grand Master
    We all know the correct number of watches to own is N+1
    RIAC

Craftsman
    I think it is when you have more watches than you actually need. For example, most of my workmates have a work watch that is tough and inexpensive. They then have a weekend watch which is a bit smarter and maybe more expensive. Quite a few have sports watches with gps, lap timers etc.
    But they are not collectors,,they just have a practical use for 2 or 3 watches.
    I have 2 work watches, a weekend watch and a couple that I just like. I have put thought into my purchases, beyond just the appearance. So to me, the 5 watches I have are my own, small 'collection'.
    A watch enthusiast on the other hand, doesn't have to own any.

does this include watches you have and have never worn

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/NEILMC~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/NEILMC~1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image004.gif[/IMG]What Is
    A Collection?
    UKOLN: Supporting The Cultural Heritage Sector
    About This Document

This briefing document provides a brief introduction to the concept of Collections.
    What Is A Collection?

A collection is a group of resources that are related to each other in some identifiable way. The relationship might be through a topic, a place, a person, an organisation or a type of object.
    A collection may be divided into smaller parts, or sub-collections, which may in turn be divided into smaller parts. For example, a library collection might be divided into fiction and non-fiction stock, with the non-fiction stock divided into lending and reference stock, while a museum might have collections of ceramics, textiles, coins and silverware, with the coins divided into categories or sub-collections by time period – Roman, Anglo-Saxon, medieval, etc.
    How Many Items Make a Collection?

There is no minimum number of items for a collection – in theory it is possible to have a collection containing only one item! Collections can also be very large and, typically, large collections will divided into a number of sub-collections.
    Physical or Digital?

The items in a collection can be physical (books, objects, paintings, etc.) or digital (e-books, digital images, databases). It is also possible for collections to be hybrids, and contain both physical and digital items. A collection may also contain digital items that are surrogates of physical items in that collection.
    Whether physical, digital or a combination, the items do not have to be in the same location and can be distributed over multiple locations. Locations may also be a factor in creating sub-collections; a public library may have a number of branch libraries each with its own stock collection.

Craftsman
    Either buying a type or style of watch or buying when you know you may not wear.

Just my thoughts.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

When you have watches that you don't actually wear anymore but you still like looking at them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    When you don't know how many you have.😮

Sent from my SM-J320FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Looks like They were trying to sell a limited edition...

Intersting thread...
    It is all very subjective, but while I share and agree with lot of your thoughts and have been interested in watches for the best part of my adult life, I have always been obsessed with one specific brand or theme.
    It does not mean I did not own and/or wear other brands, far from it, but if you start buying watches of the same brand and type and are interested in knowing a maximum of information on history, type, movement, cases, take pictures of them, have an even larger collection of straps and bracelets, know all the different type of bracelet (by complete ref, number!), wear a birth year model of the type, and chase a very specific model for more than 10 years. I am almost obsessed sometimes....
    I think that qualifies...
    ;-)

I'm an accumulator...of most things!

No real direction, just buy what takes my fancy...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

More than one, with a total value excess of their annual salary. They should also own at least two of their favourite collectables or something totally unique.

Anything less demonstrates a total lack of commitment and therefore these people are just hobbyists or enthusiasts

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I would say a collector has two or more watches with the intention the number will increase (whatever the pace) over time. The collection is likely to be quite focussed to watches with little or no variance.

Blog Entries
    The issue is not of number, it's of intention.

Suppose one of you dies - I have a ist of preferences BTW - and leaves your collection 50 watches to your spouse, who has no interest in watches. They now own a collection of 50 watches, but they are not a collector. Unwilling or reluctant curator, perhaps.

Conversely, suppose I were obsessed with the Patrick Philip Calibre 89, and I had no interest in other watches, but saved, stole, and scrimped to be able to buy one of them at auction (unlikely, since there are only 5 or so but it's a gedankenexperiment). I would still not be a collector, merely interested/obsessed. Now suppose I acquire one. It's the only watch I own. I love it, know everything about it, and have documents, photos, and paraphernalia to go with my single watch. I curate this collection of one in my spare time, and bore anyone who is careless enough to listen about the Calibre 89, its design and history and workmanship. I am then most definitely a collector.

TL;DR You're all wrong because you haven't asked yourself the question clearly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Collector comes from the word-collect.
    The Latin root is Colligere which means to gather together.
    You cannot gather together one watch.
    One watch does not make a collection or a collector.
    Just plain silly to suggest otherwise.
    One can be a hobbyist or an enthusiast even without a single watch.
    Next people will be sugggesting you can be a watch collector even without a watch!
    Again, it is not necessary or important to be a collector. It is just words.
    This seems to be the closest response to my own thinking.

I would add - and I think that the germ of this is already in Raj's points - that a collection, be it 2 or 200 pieces, in any sphere, needs to have a narrative arc.

So for me, the test as to whether one has a collection (rather than a number, horde, or whatever), is whether one could talk someone through his watches, piece by piece, describing the facets of each that add (whether by compliment or contrast) to a singular vision or ethos that is applicable to the grouping as a whole.

Apprentice
    It's not a matter of number,not how many watches you have but what kind of watches you collect.
    A collector has to collect brands for example,complications,years,special events,colour of dials,numbers etc etc.
    Thats why most,almost all of us, are not collectors.my 2 c
    Michail

I think a collector is someone that is aiming to buy as many of something as they can.

I have a lot of art books but I'm not an art book collector however I do own virtually all the books published about a particular artist even though you only need a couple of them to own a printed example of every painting that artist made...that doesn't stop me buying more books about that artist. I would say I'm a collector of books about that artist.

You can also be called a 'completist' where you are buying examples of an item that you don't actually like but you do like most of the other previous examples. For example Speedmaster limited editions where you have a large number of previous examples but feel you have to buy the horrific xxth anniversary of Apollo xx otherwise your collection will feel incomplete.

A 'collectors edition' of something, say an album or box set will contain a load of stuff that only someone that wishes to own everything will ever listen to, like out-takes