closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Item on sales thread question

Item on sales thread question

Hi all, so I see a watch on the for sale thread and I would like to know if it's bad form to compare prices on the bay and to pm the seller with a low ball offer in regard to these prices or is comparing like this bad practice ?

Thanks

Master
    You can Pm them whatever you like. Some take great offence at their prices being questioned, others appreciate people pointing out that their price may be wrong. Lowballing may be a different issue as may be seen as taking the pee. You've also got to consider whether the two watches are really comparable. An eBay speedmaster treated in their "in house spa" etc will not be comparable to one with service paperwork from say STS. Condition will also vary between the two, and unlike Ebay, sellers here will generally point out every possible flaw, not hide them with clever photo angles and just say condition is commensurate with age etc.

Basically no point making a comparative offer unless you know exactly what you're talking about.

Master
    I can't post on sales corner yet. But if I could, I'd have done my research and would have priced the watch appropriately and fairly. If one was cheaper on eBay, I'd politely suggest you get that one if it's so good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Basically no point making a comparative offer unless you know exactly what you're talking about.
    Yes, make sure you know exactly what you're comparing it to. I noticed the other day someone posted in a thread questioning the sellers price (which is poor form in itself) and saying they can get one for less on eBay. Seller was selling a J variant and poster was comparing to non J so they are not directly comparable.

PM's are always a better idea, in the case above the seller could have corrected the poster via a return of PM.

I'd say PM what you like but prepare to take whatever the seeler feels like saying after your "low ball offer". I probably wouldn't be polite but then I'd consider that acceptable form as a "low ball offer" isn't polite either?!

Lowballing also implies that the buyer is looking to move it on and make a profit for themselves and a reputation for lowballing is not one to have. Equally telling someone that you could buy the same watch elsewhere cheaper is going to lead to an obvious response.

Making a reasonable offer is okay, just avoid extracting the Michael.

I disagree. If you think that the price is too high or can buy it cheaper elsewhere then there's nothing wrong with making an offer.

The seller wants to sell and the buyer wants to buy. If an agreement can be reached then all well and good, if not then no harm done.

A low offer is certainly not an indication that the buyer wants to sell on for a profit in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I disagree. If you think that the price is too high or can buy it cheaper elsewhere then there's nothing wrong with making an offer.

The seller wants to sell and the buyer wants to buy. If an agreement can be reached then all well and good, if not then no harm done.

A low offer is certainly not an indication that the buyer wants to sell on for a profit in my opinion.
    I did say making a reasonable offer is okay and there are people who have been outed as profiteers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I did say making a reasonable offer is okay and there are people who have been outed as profiteers.
    You did and there are!

Thanks all for the helpful replies, perhaps I worded my op wrongly when I mentioned a lowball offer, what I meant to say was that a watch X is for sale at £100 and the same model and year and it appears the same condition has been in completed sales at around say £50, then what would the reaction be to putting in a bid at £50 and explaining where and why I came to that price.
    Other online forums wouldn’t allow you to do this.

But I would never try and say that this watch is selling @ £50 and putting a lot lower bid in, after all I hope we are all in it for the watches rather than a quick profit, rambling on now so thanks again

Item on sales thread question

It wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that the watch that sold for £50 on eBay is the same watch that's currently on SC at £100!

Edit : Hypothetically, I'm not referring to any specific watch currently on SC.

Banned
    It wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that the watch that sold for £50 on eBay is the same watch that's currently on SC at £100!

Edit : Hypothetically, I'm not referring to any specific watch currently on SC.
    Do members here mind if someone sells at a good price, irrespective of the price paid, say from ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    Do members here mind if someone sells at a good price, irrespective of the price paid, say from ebay?
    If someone tries to sell a watch on here for substantially more than they paid for it on eBay the week before, they will often be found out and taken to task.

Profiteering is frowned upon and many a member's reputation has been permanently damaged through attempting this. The most recent being just this week.

Banned
    If someone tries to sell a watch on here for substantially more than they paid for it on eBay the week before, they will often be found out and taken to task.

Profiteering is frowned upon and many a member's reputation has been permanently damaged through attempting this. The most recent being just this week.
    If you were upfront though? What I'm trying to say, if you found a bargain Ed White (extreme example) just because you were lucky or a good at spotting bargains and even perhaps linked the ebay add and put for sale at more than price paid but maybe not at full value?

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    If you were upfront though? What I'm trying to say, if you found a bargain Ed White (extreme example) just because you were lucky or a good at spotting bargains and even perhaps linked the ebay add and put for sale at more than price paid but maybe not at full value?
    I think the difference is when members on here are involved, either buying cheap from them or selling high to them.

If you buy from a dealer / e-bay and get a good deal then move that on to another dealer / e-bay for substantially more than you paid, then well done and good luck to you.

Master
    There is nothing wrong in making a low offer as long as you are prepared to go through with it should the seller agree to it. That is what the free market is about.

What is plain gormless is saying " I can buy it cheaper on ebay". If that is the case, go to ebay and buy it.

Half the problem with the SC is people who have no intention of making a purchase keep coming in asking questions and making comments on the price. The only people who should be there are the sellers and serious buyers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I think the difference is when members on here are involved, either buying cheap from them or selling high to them.

If you buy from a dealer / e-bay and get a good deal then move that on to another dealer / e-bay for substantially more than you paid, then well done and good luck to you.
    So, you'd not buy a bargain watch because someone else bought it a less?

The seller is under no obligation to sell and the buyer likewise. I wouldn't have thought anyone would be offended with a low offer, it might start a dialogue between the two parties which leads to a sale at a mutually agreeable price.

Master
    Personally, if someone made me a seriously low offer, I would rather doubt that they were serious buyers, and be rather sceptical of any offer they might subsequently make. There again, I guess it depends on how keen I might be to sell....or not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    Thanks all for the helpful replies, perhaps I worded my op wrongly when I mentioned a lowball offer, what I meant to say was that a watch X is for sale at £100 and the same model and year and it appears the same condition has been in completed sales at around say £50, then what would the reaction be to putting in a bid at £50 and explaining where and why I came to that price.
    Other online forums wouldn’t allow you to do this.

But I would never try and say that this watch is selling @ £50 and putting a lot lower bid in, after all I hope we are all in it for the watches rather than a quick profit, rambling on now so thanks again
    Just to clarify, if you do negotiate with the seller then do it via a PM rather than in a post on the sales thread. I know some other forums are different.

I rarely buy from here but on eBay with common watches I do nothing but low-ball nothing else makes sense. Eventually someone accepts.

I dont lowball members here and often go with the asking price if fair, that's why some watches sell instantly because they are priced fair to keep within the forum, although if something I fancy is hanging around then an offer is always worth it..

The sellers that bug me are the bumpers, you know, the ones that bump an ad for weeks without lowering the price, if it's priced fairly it will sell - simple