closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Replica Watch Thread

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossmore10 View Post
    I've just read through the lot of this - I'm confused, are we saying the movement on my Omega is made by VW or Ford? And do I have to check under the bonnet to see if it's a fake.....?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont forget to check the oil

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dm1672 View Post
    Dont forget to check the oil
    Goes without saying....

In all seriousness though, I'd never drive a fake watch, it's just too dangerous!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Yes, if it were made and sold by Patek.

Are you saying that a watch made by Omega with an ETA movement isn't an Omega?

Nope. Omega are part of Swatch and Swatch own ETA therefore they are all part of the same company, but before Swatch got involved with Omega, Omega used Omega movements.

So a purist Omega fan could, in their opinion say that Omegas fitted with an ETA movement are not true Omegas. Much like a true Mini fan would argue that a genuine Mini was built by Austin and that the current BMW mini is a piece of crap.

But if an omega is fitted with an ETA, does it make it the same as a Blancpain, Panerai, Tissot, etc, etc, etc?

Its a bit like champagne bottled in the champagne region which was made using grapes from Italy.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Acttually the GT bodyshell and engine are made by VAG in Germany, and shipped for assembly in Crewe.

The V10 engine is also used by VW, Audi and Lamborghini. I imagine the floor pan is also used elsewhere.

So its a bitsa.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    The V10 engine is also used by VW, Audi and Lamborghini. I imagine the floor pan is also used elsewhere.

So its a bitsa.
    It's a w12 engine actually in the Continental.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    It's a w12 engine actually in the Continental.
    It was. It's now a 4.0L V8.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    It was. It's now a 4.0L V8.
    V8 is an option
    V10 never was

Some say "to-may-to"...

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Nope. Omega are part of Swatch and Swatch own ETA therefore they are all part of the same company, but before Swatch got involved with Omega, Omega used Omega movements.

So a purist Omega fan could, in their opinion say that Omegas fitted with an ETA movement are not true Omegas. Much like a true Mini fan would argue that a genuine Mini was built by Austin and that the current BMW mini is a piece of crap.

But if an omega is fitted with an ETA, does it make it the same as a Blancpain, Panerai, Tissot, etc, etc, etc?

Its a bit like champagne bottled in the champagne region which was made using grapes from Italy.
    Sonoma bi*ches! Name and shame.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

I make sure I buy all my swiss watches in Switzerland only. Once you use foreign currency to pay, the line is crossed.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Journeyman
    I use to want one, but now it's real all the way, no replicas for me!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I make sure I buy all my swiss watches in Switzerland only. Once you use foreign currency to pay, the line is crossed.
    I once found out the so called Swiss man who made my watch had German parents. Needless to say the piece was immediately returned in disgust....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    On another forum I use there's an interesting thread about replica watches, including some pictures of some (genuine looking to me) watches. Always surprises me how many people want them, personally I don't see the point.

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=181869
    Yes, each to their own.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossmore10 View Post
    I once found out the so called Swiss man who made my watch had German parents. Needless to say the piece was immediately returned in disgust....

Let's not mention that the founders of Patek Phillippe were Polish and French.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Some of these fake watches contain swiss made ETA movements, the same as Tudor and many others. I'm surprised there has never been a fake Tudor or maybe there has.
    There certainly has.

I took a look at part of the thread linked by the OP, was interesting to see the 'real world' view on luxury watches/fakes etc

Cheers

Apprentice
    Surely you cant compare the experience buying a premium branded watch to buying a replica. The box, papers, delivery, weight of the piece etc all add into something imo you wont feel about a replica.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    The whole thing is a farce!!

Quote Originally Posted by mattwilko92 View Post
    Surely you cant compare the experience buying a premium branded watch to buying a replica. The box, papers, delivery, weight of the piece etc all add into something imo you wont feel about a replica.

I remember reading on another forum, someone building a Frankenstein Breiting. They bought genuine, bracelet, crystal, bezel, hands, dial and movement. The only thing that was fake was the case.
    Now the interesting thing was that the owner of this watch went to an AD and got a set of papers citing that the watch was authentic!
    So this person assembled this watch got proof of authenticity and it was still way still way cheaper than buying the real thing.
    Of course I have no way of knowing if this is true or not

Quote Originally Posted by monty77 View Post
    re: bswatch.cn link some of those look far too good for cheap reps, I'll bet the pics aren't legit. I've owned a couple many years ago, they were OK but never feel special as you know they're not the real deal.
    Buy a handful, leave them in a cheap watch box in your master-bedroom. Hide the real ones in the garage........................

And go on holiday - without a worry :)

Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    I remember reading on another forum, someone building a Frankenstein Breiting. They bought genuine, bracelet, crystal, bezel, hands, dial and movement. The only thing that was fake was the case.
    Now the interesting thing was that the owner of this watch went to an AD and got a set of papers citing that the watch was authentic!
    So this person assembled this watch got proof of authenticity and it was still way still way cheaper than buying the real thing.
    Of course I have no way of knowing if this is true or not
    Are you sure it wasn't yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Are you sure it wasn't yourself?
    Pretty sure it wasn't me :)

Oh ok. I must be getting confused with the other fake/franken Breitlings that you put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    Let's not forget that Rolex started out in London too! 🇬🇧

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Oh ok. I must be getting confused with the other fake/franken Breitlings that you put together.
    Yes I think you are

There are advantages in wearing a fake watch..

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...esigner-watch/

There are advantages in wearing a fake watch..

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...esigner-watch/
    Maybe you could sell him another one?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Buy a handful, leave them in a cheap watch box in your master-bedroom. Hide the real ones in the garage........................

And go on holiday - without a worry :)
    Does every burglar search the master bedroom until a haul of luxury watches have been uncovered?

They'd be looking forever in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by mattwilko92 View Post

Dont you mean fake?

Threads like this serve a useful purpose in identifying candidates for the "treat with caution" and "ignore" lists.

Which Patek models use FP movements?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Threads like this serve a useful purpose in identifying candidates for the "treat with caution" and "ignore" lists.
    Treat everyone with caution - they are all at various stages of mental illness ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Bit late to this but interesting thread so here goes.

First off, I mostly agree with Brendan. There was a time when a Swiss maker made the whole watch or at least the vast majority of it. They may well have bought in components even in those days but probably to their own specification. It's part of the reason I collect old watches.

Then came the near collapse of the Swiss Watch industry and the emergence of the mighty Swatch group. It's easy enough to Google the brands owned by Swatch and to figure out that (just like VAG) there are a lot of common parts used in watches with different brand names. Your Hamilton and your Omega are not so different under the surface , just like your Skoda and your Audi.

Let me also remind people that Brendan didn't mention movements but rather used the word ebauche. There is a difference, a lot of manufacturers add a level of customisation to the ebauche they buy in, of course that might be confined to some fancy engraving but sometimes it's small improvements to the basic movement as well.

The question then is what are you paying for? If the engine in your watch is the same engine as a watch costing half the price? Is the bracelet or case twice as good? Maybe you think that it is. That's the great thing about choice and might explain why I choose Audi over Skoda, but I don't kid myself about the components under the bonnet.

Oddly the flip side of this is my disposal, bit by bit, of almost every ETA powered watch I'd accumulated before I started to understand the structure of the industry. They are slowly being replaced with watches with different movements. Although I'm pretty lazy about moving the last few on.
    Last edited by aldfort; 20th August 2017 at 12:13.

Sorry to say that you totally missed the point of the post and what you have said is mostly rubbish.

The Omega Speedmaster uses Lemania movements since 1957 and Panerai used Rolex and Angelus movements since WWII. Its not a thing of recent and it does not make them lesser Omega's or Panerai's in my book.

But as a VP member of a fake watch site - surely you can fill us in a bit more about the process?

What about your golden rule - want to tell us more about that?

My golden rule is not to get a rep of a GEN that would cost more than a few £1000's. So basically, Omega's, IWC's, Breitling so never £10000's reps like philippe patek, Hublot etc
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 20th August 2017 at 13:38.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Bit late to this but interesting thread so here goes.

First off, I mostly agree with Brendan. There was a time when a Swiss maker made the whole watch or at least the vast majority of it. They may well have bought in components even in those days but probably to their own specification. It's part of the reason I collect old watches.

Then came the near collapse of the Swiss Watch industry and the emergence of the mighty Swatch group. It's easy enough to Google the brands owned by Swatch and to figure out that (just like VAG) there are a lot of common parts used in watches with different brand names. Your Hamilton and your Omega are not so different under the surface , just like your Skoda and your Audi.

Let me also remind people that Brendan didn't mention movements but rather used the word ebauche. There is a difference, a lot of manufacturers add a level of customisation to the ebauche they buy in, of course that might be confined to some fancy engraving but sometimes it's small improvements to the basic movement as well.

The question then is what are you paying for? If the engine in your watch is the same engine as a watch costing half the price? Is the bracelet or case twice as good? Maybe you think that it is. That's the great thing about choice and might explain why I choose Audi over Skoda, but I don't kid myself about the components under the bonnet.

Oddly the flip side of this is my disposal, bit by bit, of almost every ETA powered watch I'd accumulated before I started to understand the structure of the industry. They are slowly being replaced with watches with different movements. Although I'm pretty lazy about moving the last few on.
    Thank you for your comments Aldfort.
    I did not reply to this post to berate the Swiss watch Industry, and my use of the word 'fake' was meant in the broadest possible terms.
    ETA movements are on the whole pretty damn good as are Frédéric Piguet. I work on them every day.
    It has made good sense for the Swiss to streamline movement production. The whole industry will profit from that.
    I guess what annoys me is that independents played a great part in supporting the industry when times were hard.
    Then they chose to let us all down.
    We still survive even when Companies restrict parts for their home grown indies as well.
    One should not assume that all watches which go back to the manufacturers are serviced in house.
    They are not.
    There are many indies in CH who take work on for them because of the sheer volume and waiting times. I know a couple in the Vallee Joux who fix for JleC and AP. Others in Neuchatel and St Imier.
    In the70s Rolex UK would open case backs for indies here before they could buy a Rolex case opening tool and they supplied parts too.
    They would even comment on the quality of work !
    Not now sadly.
    The watches produced in CH are in the vast majority a pleasure to work on and of superb precision.
    Don't sell all your ETA's thinking that they are not.
    Times change I suppose. It's no longer economical in CH to tool up new calibres for many low volume manufacturers.
    Much more efficient to centralise ebauche manufacture.
    But in my view very short sighted to restrict the supply of spare parts both for their own indies as well as those worldwide.
    PS: Rajen is obviously a *oro*

Brendan
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 20th August 2017 at 14:29.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanbooth78 View Post
    Let's not forget that Rolex started out in London too! 

No it didn't, Rolex trademark was registered in 1908 in Switzerland.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Hans Wilsdorf first started making watches in London! He also dreamed up the name Rolex whilst still in London (even though he was importing the movements from Switzerland).

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    ...and William Tell invented the lever escapement....

Brendan

Ok, so what Ebauche do FP supply to Patek, for which watches, and which Patek calibres are they?

Quote Originally Posted by dylanbooth78 View Post
    Hans Wilsdorf first started making watches in London! He also dreamed up the name Rolex whilst still in London (even though he was importing the movements from Switzerland).

That is better. But Rolex was established in Switzerland. Hans Wilsdorf was not.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Ok, so what Ebauche do FP supply to Patek, for which watches, and which Patek calibres are they?
    Google FP+PP

Brendan

I did?

Master
    I'm sure everyone else on here knows what 'ebauche' means but I didn't so here it is for the other dunderheads

https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php...auche_movement

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by coldwarkid View Post
    I had an argument the other day with someone at work.

They called me a snob because I told them their fake watch was a piece of crap and in no way comparable to a real Rolex.

When I pointed out that they were the snob because they were choosing the branding rather than the quality of the product, they laughed.
    That is a good point you mention, no one would think to call fakers snobs, plenty of other words are usually used first, but in a way they are.

Quote Originally Posted by aksing View Post
    That is a good point you mention, no one would think to call fakers snobs, plenty of other words are usually used first, but in a way they are.
    Brand whores probably better describes them

The number of fake LV handbags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Thank you for your comments Aldfort.

PS: Rajen is obviously a *oro*

Brendan
    Polynesian god? I Think not somehow but I could be wrong.

Still have a few ETA equipped watches. I'm just trying not to have 2 of anything with essentially the same movement in my collection. Still have 2 with 7750's inside them though.
    Last edited by aldfort; 21st August 2017 at 09:20.