closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replica Watch Thread

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    I don't drink alcohol.
    You on the other hand are presumptuous and dismissive of the facts.

Brendan
    Hi Brendan, i believe you when you say you don't drink alcohol, but could someone have possibly spiked your Coffee with some drugs??

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    Hi Brendan, i believe you when you say you don't drink alcohol, but could someone have possibly spiked your Coffee with some drugs??
    What's your point ?

Brendan

Master
    So a 8500 co-axial movement isn't made by Omega?
    And Patek don't make their own movements?

News to me.

On topic now, sorry for the tangent, fakes, I don't get the point of them, or the mugs who buy them.

What's your point ?

Brendan
    We're all wondering that Brendan...

Master
    What's your point ?

Brendan
    I don't have one Brendan, it's nearly midnight on a Friday night and the HP is flowing! :)

I was only having a joke with you, you seem unusually grumpy tonight!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    I don't have one Brendan, it's nearly midnight on a Friday night and the HP is flowing! :)

I was only having a joke with you, you seem unusually grumpy tonight!

Point taken !
    Cat+pigeons I love it...!!

Brendan

You say tom-a-toe

I say tom-r-toe

Let's call the whole thing off.

Blog Entries
    'Swiss Made' was forced on the Swiss watch makers by American Customs because the Swiss were making inferior fake copies of American watches back in the 1920's.
    I'm thinking that it didn't work out exactly as planned for the American watch industry.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    I'm thinking that it didn't work out exactly as planned for the American watch industry.
    No. I guess the fakes took over !!

Brendan

Craftsman
    I had an argument the other day with someone at work.

They called me a snob because I told them their fake watch was a piece of crap and in no way comparable to a real Rolex.

When I pointed out that they were the snob because they were choosing the branding rather than the quality of the product, they laughed. They really didn't get it and I could tell they thought they were superior for making such a wise and money saving purchase. He even suggested that he may "have been lucky" and picked up a real Rolex for a bargain price, even though he bought it in Benidorm and it was a quartz Sub.

The problem is, once these debates start nobody can win because in their eyes they are always right. it really is so polarising in the extreme.

Omega is the only entity that has the authority to determine "what is an Omega?" If they place an ETA movement in an Omega case and deem the watch to be an Omega, then it is an Omega.

When Tudor was in its youth, most of its movements were produced by Rolex. This did not result in a "fake Tudor." Tudor in those days was defined as containing Rolex movements...because Tudor deemed it so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Yes, if it were made and sold by Patek.

Are you saying that a watch made by Omega with an ETA movement isn't an Omega?

Fair enough.

(In some circles this would be known as "badge engineering". Personally I would not consider it a Patek despite it leaving the factory with Pateks name on the front, but that just me)

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by coldwarkid View Post
    The problem is, once these debates start nobody can win because in their eyes they are always right. it really is so polarising in the extreme.
    Welcome to TZ-UK.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Banned
    I have repaired watches nearly all my life and seen profound changes to the industry from a watchsmith's perspective.
    The Swiss ebauche has improved dramatically in both quality and accuracy and I love working on them.
    What saddens me is that there are only a handful of makers left and most share the same ebauches. These companies now rely on their past glories to sell their current models.
    The companies who still make their own movements sell very expensive watches but have stuck to their traditions.
    I personally find the former a kind of fakery because the customer is no longer buying a product which is designed and made by the company selling it.
    That's progress !
    And simply my opinion.

Brendan

Master
    The car industry must be the worst perpetrators of fakery and is similar to the Omega issue. You buy a car with a Ford badge and it's really only the badge that is Ford or Mazda maybe. Most of the low to medium range cars and vans are bitsa this and that from wherever it's made cheapest then stuck together and badged whatever name takes the marketers fancy and sells the best.

Master
    I have repaired watches nearly all my life and seen profound changes to the industry from a watchsmith's perspective.
    The Swiss ebauche has improved dramatically in both quality and accuracy and I love working on them.
    What saddens me is that there are only a handful of makers left and most share the same ebauches. These companies now rely on their past glories to sell their current models.
    The companies who still make their own movements sell very expensive watches but have stuck to their traditions.
    I personally find the former a kind of fakery because the customer is no longer buying a product which is designed and made by the company selling it.
    That's progress !
    And simply my opinion.

Brendan
    Well tbh if you don't know what you are talking about then who does IMO?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    The car industry must be the worst perpetrators of fakery and is similar to the Omega issue. You buy a car with a Ford badge and it's really only the badge that is Ford or Mazda maybe. Most of the low to medium range cars and vans are bitsa this and that from wherever it's made cheapest then stuck together and badged whatever name takes the marketers fancy and sells the best.
    I totally agree. If I had bothered to research I would have realised my Bentley Continental GT was made by pollution figure fakers Volkswagen and never owned one!
    But I did, enjoyed it immensely and have now crossed it off my bucket list.
    At least though, being a car not a Swiss watch, I could easily buy any parts I needed for it !!

Brendan

And practically everything electrical too.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    It's true, Casio make Patek's movements. Finally we can come clean about this, phew.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    It's true, Casio make Patek's movements. Finally we can come clean about this, phew.
    ...and Patek offer a free Valium with every service invoice...

Brendan

Master
    I totally agree. If I had bothered to research I would have realised my Bentley Continental GT was made by pollution figure fakers Volkswagen and never owned one!
    But I did, enjoyed it immensely and have now crossed it off my bucket list.
    At least though, being a car not a Swiss watch, I could easily buy any parts I needed for it !!

Brendan
    Actually, the Continental GT was 'made' by Bentley. VAG just own the company.

Unless you also believe that Omega watches are made by Swatch?

Thinking about it, you probably do...

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    just imagine though five weeks or five months down the line ...weird rotor noises, being out by seconds then minutes eventually hours.
    And you suddenly realise....you actually bought a genuine Rolex.

What I'm saying is that Omega use ETA movements. Not Omega movements.
    That's all.
    Take it or leave it.

Brendan
    Omega and ETA are two divisions of the same organisation I can't see an issue with this at all.

I once had a Mini with a Peugeot engine and never considered that to be anything other than a Mini.

Journeyman

Not quite...

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Omega is the only entity that has the authority to determine "what is an Omega?" If they place an ETA movement in an Omega case and deem the watch to be an Omega, then it is an Omega.

When Tudor was in its youth, most of its movements were produced by Rolex. This did not result in a "fake Tudor." Tudor in those days was defined as containing Rolex movements...because Tudor deemed it so.
    Tudors used to have A Schild movements (my father's one from the 50s does). Tudor had Rolex made (and Rolex branded) cases, but bought the ebauches.

Quote Originally Posted by Toodlepip View Post
    Tudors used to have A Schild movements (my father's one from the 50s does). Tudor had Rolex made (and Rolex branded) cases, but bought the ebauches.
    Case or ebauche, the principle remains the same.

It's a Tudor* because Tudor* deem it to be so.

* Insert your brand of choice

Banned
    Case or ebauche, the principle remains the same.

It's a Tudor* because Tudor* deem it to be so.

* Insert your brand of choice
    20 years ago when I was working at Jaeger Lecoultre CH, the watch repairers there were moaning about the poor quality of Frédéric Piguet movements.
    Now they use them !
    They have much improved I should add.

Brendan

That's progress !
    And simply my opinion.

Brendan
    It's a shame that so few companies make their own movements now, I think. A lost art?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by coldwarkid View Post
    I had an argument the other day with someone at work.

They called me a snob because I told them their fake watch was a piece of crap and in no way comparable to a real Rolex.

When I pointed out that they were the snob because they were choosing the branding rather than the quality of the product, they laughed. They really didn't get it and I could tell they thought they were superior for making such a wise and money saving purchase. He even suggested that he may "have been lucky" and picked up a real Rolex for a bargain price, even though he bought it in Benidorm and it was a quartz Sub.

The trick to convince them is to offer to take them to an AD, and buy them the real deal. In exchange that they give you their fake one.

If one wanted to be absolutely purist, one could argue that many of today's watches are fakes. I mean do Omega make their own movements ? Or Patek ? Or Breitling ? Or IWC ?
    Many others.
    You are buying their name. Not their product.

Brendan
    Genuine question. Do Patek not make their own movements?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post

I’m pretty sure it was designed using the Phaeton platform D1, just like the Audi, VW, Seat and Skoda all use the MQB platform. It purely cost saving (and makes financial sense to a manufacturer).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido-K View Post
    I’m pretty sure it was designed using the Phaeton platform D1, just like the Audi, VW, Seat and Skoda all use the MQB platform. It purely cost saving (and makes financial sense to a manufacturer).
    Yes it was. And probably why this over engineered monster has horrible faults.

Brendan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Genuine answer: I wish I'd never replied to this thread because I have friends at the below, but sadly no they don't. They use some FP.
    As do VC, JLeC, Blancpain and others.
    Tooling up to make a new calibre costs a fortune. Ask Zenith !

Brendan
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 19th August 2017 at 12:55.

Replica Watch Thread

That's progress !
    And simply my opinion.

Brendan

Genuine answer: I wish I'd never replied to this thread because I have friends at the below, but sadly yes they do.

Brendan
    Make your mind up!

Banned
    Make your mind up!
    Sorry. I'm not concentrating.
    Yes they all use Frédéric Piguet movements.

Brendan

Banned
    Brendan
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 19th August 2017 at 13:28.

Genuine answer: I wish I'd never replied to this thread because I have friends at the below, but sadly no they don't. They use some FP.

Brendan
    Thanks for the response Brendan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post

Acttually the GT bodyshell and engine are made by VAG in Germany, and shipped for assembly in Crewe.

Banned
    Thanks for the response Brendan.
    My pleasure.
    Just put FP Calibre 1150 into Google.
    They are pretty nice movements now.
    Only reservations I have is that the balance wheels are relatively small and most don't have a balance stop mechanism.

Brendan

Craftsman

Replica Watch Thread

My pleasure.
    Just put FP Calibre 1150 into Google.
    They are pretty nice movements now.
    Only reservations I have is that the balance wheels are relatively small and most don't have a balance stop mechanism.

Brendan
    Hi Brendan

I just wondered what your opinion is on In-house movements by CW and Nomos compared to the ébauches by eta that a lot of watch manufacturers use?

Master
    Blog Entries
    ETA is owned by Swatch who in turn also own Omega so Omega uses in house movements

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    My old Db9 had crappy ford locks,Volvo keyfob just to name a few,it was a mismatch of parts but the most reliable car ive ever had,better than my Audi A4 by miles which needed a full set of injectors,2 turbos and 2 engines .....never again

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    ETA is owned by Swatch who in turn also own Omega so Omega uses in house movements
    For me, that's a bit of an oversimplification; the logic really doesn't follow. While there's absolutely no rational basis for saying that Omega makes fakes due to their movements being manufactured by ETA and some of their components being outsourced to countries with cheap labour and lax environmental standards, they're not exactly what I'd call in-house, either.

Anyway, it's a completely tangential discussion to fake watches, which are obviously both for and by total lame-Os — and nothing further needs to be said on that subject.

Master
    So.... Back on topic(-ish).
    Anyone noticed the Sea Dweller just popped up on a very well known Auction Website with a Brown leather strap and a very attractive price ?
    I'm certainly not an expert, but I'm not quite sure that it's kosher....

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    Anyone noticed the Sea Dweller just popped up on a very well known Auction Website with a Brown leather strap and a very attractive price ?
    What makes you say that?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Acttually the GT bodyshell and engine are made by VAG in Germany, and shipped for assembly in Crewe.
    The GT was designed, engineered and built in the Bentley plant at Crewe.

Like most manufacturers, they outsource manufacture of some components. I can't think of any who make everything 'in house'. It's not like VAG stamped out some panels and said 'design something around this little lot would you?'.

A bit like watches, I don't really care where the components are manufactured, but I do care about the design, engineering and quality of assembly.

Why is it a lesser watch or vehicle because it wasn't all done under one roof?

Perhaps I should join the M3 forum and say I have been offered a car with all the right M3 badges etc. but it is really a 320d but looks the same so might as well buy it and what do they think ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    What makes you say that?
    Have a look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Perhaps I should join the M3 forum and say I have been offered a car with all the right M3 badges etc. but it is really a 320d but looks the same so might as well buy it and what do they think ?
    Most of them have probably done the same judging by the number of 'M' cars I see on the road!

Craftsman
    I've just read through the lot of this - I'm confused, are we saying the movement on my Omega is made by VW or Ford? And do I have to check under the bonnet to see if it's a fake.....?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post

The box is certainly a fugazi.