closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How to bring an orignal iPod up to date?

Master

How to bring an orignal iPod up to date?

I found my original 3rd generation iPod (the one with the wheel and four separate buttons above) whilst having a minor clear out and lo and behold it still works!

It has a relatively paltry 20gb hard drive and I was wondering if it could be replaced with a SSD equivalent as I am of the opinion that the older iPods do sounds better due to the uprated DAC.

Any iPod pros out there?

Cheers!

Here's a guide on how to replace the drive:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod+3r...eplacement/381

I have an old "classic" iPod which I bought from an eBay seller with a 128GB SSD. It holds an enormous music library and is an indispensable travelling companion. I wouldn't have a clue how to change the drive myself but there are a few people out there who will do refurb and upgrade work on them, including longer life batteries and of course new cases so they look spanky-new.

https://www.ipodrepairs.co.uk/

These guys put a 256GB SSD in my old iPod 160GB classic.

Not sure it sounds any better, but well chuffed with not having to buy a new MP3 player & the extra capacity.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Edit: useful video here

If I was you I'd pay somebody else to do it. Apple stuff is a ballache to work on, I replaced the drive in my mac mini the other week with an SSD. Watched the youtube videos on how to do it, looked like a 15 minute job. Oh no, took me 45 minutes of profanity and I consider myself a reasonably skilled production engineer of some 30 year's standing. I did this at work so had a whole workshop full of tools to call on. The mac is beautifully made, but there's no room in it anywhere, the connectors are all tiny and fragile-looking, it's horrible to work on. I've no reason to think an iPod will be any easier, probably worse..

Good Luck

Plug

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    https://www.ipodrepairs.co.uk/

These guys put a 256GB SSD in my old iPod 160GB classic.

Not sure it sounds any better, but well chuffed with not having to buy a new MP3 player & the extra capacity.
    +1 for these guys, I've send a couple of ipods to them plus an iphone. Very happy with all three and they're really quick on turnaround.