closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: E-Class or A6?

E-Class or A6?

I have a Mercedes E220 Estate which is approaching the end of its 3 year PCP. It has the 2148cc 177hp engine. I will be doing 20,000 miles a year in the replacement. I'm looking at various options to replace it and having ruled out a few already, I'm now down to just two.

The two possibles are either another E220 (saloon this time, probably SE trim but possibly AMG) or an Audi A6. I've driven the latest E220 (with the new 1995cc 194hp engine and 9-speed gearbox) and thought it a decent improvement on mine, both in performance and refinement. The A6 in my monthly price range would be the 2.0tdi saloon S-Line with the 190hp engine and 7-speed auto. The reason I'm dubious about going for the Audi is that the Merc is a relatively recent model, whereas the Audi would be an outgoing model which will be replaced very early next year. I can't wait until the new A6 is released, hence the decision now. The Audi would be a bit cheaper per month, especially as one "must have" for us is memory seats (standard on the Audi and extra on the Merc).

Anybody here have experience of the current model A6, or preferably both cars, who could give me an honest opinion please?

New BWM 5 Series trumps them both.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    And usually more expensive than both of the above at the moment, on lease deals.

I am in the same position as the OP as my lease will be ending soon. Been in the Merc, Audi and Volvo garage today.

The S90 R-Design is nice, great looking car. Brilliant seats. Production now moved to China, long chat about build quality but on a 3 year deal, maybe no great issue. Osmium grey is lovely, as was the Momentum in Maple brown.

Would have an A5 3dr over the A6. Great interior, Daytona Grey.

The C class coupe has a great interior, as does the E class saloon. Would be grey.

Don't want to spend the money on an E Class coupe, or BMW 5 Series. Now a 4 Series 3 dr...

Total first world problem on a wet day off work. Love it and my son is even enjoying himself!

Spend 90% of the time in the car myself with single track roads for 80% of the commute. Decisions over the next few weeks...

Thanks, but no longer on the list for me, for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatco1800es View Post
    And usually more expensive than both of the above at the moment, on lease deals.

I am in the same position as the OP as my lease will be ending soon. Been in the Merc, Audi and Volvo garage today.

The S90 R-Design is nice, great looking car. Brilliant seats. Production now moved to China, long chat about build quality but on a 3 year deal, maybe no great issue. Osmium grey is lovely, as was the Momentum in Maple brown.

Would have an A5 3dr over the A6. Great interior, Daytona Grey.

The C class coupe has a great interior, as does the E class saloon. Would be grey.

Don't want to spend the money on an E Class coupe, or BMW 5 Series. Now a 4 Series 3 dr...

Total first world problem on a wet day off work. Love it and my son is even enjoying himself!

Spend 90% of the time in the car myself with single track roads for 80% of the commute. Decisions over the next few weeks...
    Interesting to hear you mention the Volvo. That was my slightly 'left field' option on the list for a while, before I went back to the old favourites.

The A5 is no good for me. I need plenty of room in the car, both for tall sons and elderly in-laws to travel in comfort. My wife has a C-Class and good as that is the space in the back (and the boot) is not big enough. So it's E-Class or A6 size for me (or S90).

I'd go new E Class then, it's a better car than the outgoing A6 and the full screen digital dash and ambient lighting options are just lovely. I borrowed one for a weekend last year and was impressed, typical Merc though the steering wheel doesn't feel like it's connected to the front wheels, Sport mode does not improve this.

The merc is the better car.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    You may think I'm joking, but have a close up look at a Skoda Superb L&K edition.

(my last 'daily dog' was a 520d and there is no way it's 'better' than the L&K. Mind you, the BM was probably cheaper...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLUSJqoa2hE
    Last edited by wolf; 18th August 2017 at 14:45.

As has been said, you're comparing a new model with one that's due to be replaced pretty soon. The A6 will date instantly when next year's model comes out whereas the Merc will look current for the next few years. The new E class is very highly regarded, but I'm pretty sure the new A6 will give it a run for its money in terms of interior/gadgets. (I find Merc interiors a bit shiny and bling, BMW a bit nondescript, whereas Audi are the masters, especially at the A6/7/8 level - personal preference I know).

Although, I bet there's some good deals on the A6 on its run-out.

I'd go new E Class then, it's a better car than the outgoing A6
    This is the kind of phrase I'm looking for to make a difficult decision easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The merc is the better car.
    Ditto. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf View Post
    You may think I'm joking, but have a close up look at a Skoda Superb L&K edition.

(my last 'daily dog' was a 520d and there is no way it's 'better' than the L&K. Mind you, the BM was probably cheaper...)
    Not at all, and I quite agree with your view of the Skoda. My wife and I went to the Skoda dealership a couple of weeks ago and looked at the Superb and the Kodiaq. Both lovely cars and we were really impressed. Sadly, when we got home and looked at the prices on lease or PCP, bearing in mind the 20,000 miles per year requirement, they worked out more expensive than either the E220 or A6! Your comment about the BMW being cheaper was probably slightly tongue in cheek, but also probably accurate.
    Last edited by Ian_O; 18th August 2017 at 14:54. Reason: Typo

If it was ever a concern (unlikely with a leased car) I believe there was a thread recently here about Audi's (lack of) customer service.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    As has been said, you're comparing a new model with one that's due to be replaced pretty soon. The A6 will date instantly when next year's model comes out whereas the Merc will look current for the next few years. The new E class is very highly regarded, but I'm pretty sure the new A6 will give it a run for its money in terms of interior/gadgets. (I find Merc interiors a bit shiny and bling, BMW a bit nondescript, whereas Audi are the masters, especially at the A6/7/8 level - personal preference I know).

Although, I bet there's some good deals on the A6 on its run-out.
    All useful and valid points, thanks. I have to admit, one of the things which was pulling me towards the A6 for a while was the interior quality. I'm not a great fan of the swathes of black plastic in the latest E-Class and although mine has been a great car for the past three years, one constant irritation is the the number of squeaks and rattles from the interior trim, which were simply not there in all my previous (and older model) Mercedes.

If it was ever a concern (unlikely with a leased car) I believe there was a thread recently here about Audi's (lack of) customer service.
    Interesting. I'll take a look at that, thanks.

It does seem like the weight of opinion so far is in favour of the Mercedes.

Master
    id go with the merc also, the new e class is streets ahead of the current a6 (which to be fair is pretty long in the tooth now).

The amg kitted e is in my opinion the nicest looking large saloon available right now, the new 5 series is a bit of a dog looks wise.

Blog Entries
    In Dec 2015 - After 2 Audi A6's I had a similar option, so I chose this...

XF 2.0d Prestige 180 bhp Auto ( I upgraded to 18" alloys as the 17" just looked too small )

The A6 was old even in Dec 2015.
    The E class & 5 series were run out models & I preferred the looks of the Jag & lower BIK tax than the E class.
    It arrived in Fed 2016 & I've no regrets. The interior isn't as solid as the Audi, but the ride is much, much better.
    Done 34k in 18 months & no major issues at all - no squeaks, rattles etc.
    The new E clss & 5 series have moved on admittedly, but the Jag is still worth a look IMHO.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 18th August 2017 at 16:03.

Master

E-Class or A6?

What sort of difference is there between the leasing cost of the Skoda and the Merc?
    I have both (2016 Merc E Class and 2017 Skoda Superb SEL Exec) and the Skoda absolutely walks all over the Merc for MPG and servicing costs. Offers much more leg and boot room too when talking about the saloon version.
    Over the course of the lease it could work out the cheaper car.
    I'd also add that the L+K is quite a big jump up in price over the SEL Exec so look at what's available as standard on both and decide what you can and can't live with.
    Last edited by jaytip; 18th August 2017 at 16:08.

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    In Dec 2015 - After 2 Audi A6's I had a similar option, so I chose this...

XF 2.0d Prestige 180 bhp Auto ( I upgraded to 18" alloys as the 17" just looked too small )

The A6 was old even in Dec 2015.
    The E class & 5 series were run out models & I preferred the looks of the Jag & lower BIK tax than the E class.
    It arrived in Fed 2016 & I've no regrets. The interior isn't as solid as the Audi, but the ride is much, much better.
    Done 34k in 18 months & no major issues at all - no squeaks, rattles etc.
    The new E clss & 5 series have moved on admittedly, but the Jag is still worth a look IMHO.

z
    I wouldn't buy a Mercedes or Audi, either.

The Jaguar is a much better choice, imo.

I nearly bought an XF recently - I just couldn't quite bring myself to buy a diesel, which is looking like a good choice now!

M

I went to my local Jaguar dealer as well, I didn't even bother driving one after sitting in an XF for all of 2 mins, I thought the interior build quality was just nasty and the arm rests in the door are hard plastic, not what you expect in a luxury mid sized saloon.

Craftsman
    With your requirements OP, it would be the Merc E Class I would say. The new model is a step up.

I thought the XF interior could have been better, but where you see the difference is odd things like boot lining quality and fixtures and fittings.

All the garages were great and I was clear at the start that I would be leasing from elsewhere.

Apart from the BMW garage, where no-one bothered their arse to come and have a chat. With two cars required over the next few months, I feel a poor show on their part.

I went to my local Jaguar dealer as well, I didn't even bother driving one after sitting in an XF for all of 2 mins, I thought the interior build quality was just nasty and the arm rests in the door are hard plastic, not what you expect in a luxury mid sized saloon.
    We all look for different things in a car, I guess.

I like the way XFs drive compared to the German alternatives.

M.

I have an older XF and absolutely love it. Interior build quality and materials have declined in a big way on the recent models. They are still great cars overall but you need to be willing to look past the plasticky leather.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The W213 (S213) Mercedes is a great car in the Premium Plus spec (gives you all the bezels and whistles) and is leaps and bounds ahead of the last incarnation W212.
    I didn't go for the AMG as I found the front seat bolsters too narrow for my shoulders and my back wasn't actually touching the seat back.
    Power is good, the 9 speed box is lovely (definitely not as agrictural as the old 7 speed) and the interior refinements do make it feel like a car should at that sort of money.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    New Merc for me, you will get more gadgets wither Merc for the money. I had the Saloon 220 AMG 14 plate. It was a great car covering motorway miles with ease and 50mpg

Thought I'd add a final update to this thread, as people have been kind enough to offer opinions.

I'd finally decided to go for another E220, but saloon this time. I wanted to add one or two extras so was prepared for a wait for delivery. However when I did a final check of all the deals available I noticed the one that I've subsequently signed up for, an E350d. That combination of car and engine sounded too good to miss for the sake of some extra equipment. Let's face it, it's a pretty well equipped car as standard.

I know the V6 is on its way out to be replaced by the new straight six, but reviews suggest it had been developed into a very good engine, and I'm really looking forward to the sub 6 second 0-60 and 457 lb/ft of torque! All this comes at a price very similar to the E220 as well.

Thanks again to all those who took the trouble to advise.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian_O; 4th October 2017 at 09:27.

Nice choice on the E Class. I think I'll be leasing next, when my 55 plate Ford Focus finally decides to die! Will have to a be a personal lease rather company though.

Question - do people generally prefer to deal direct with the manufacturers when getting a lease deal, or are you going through one of the many 3rd part leasing companies? And if the latter, any recommendations on which one? I am also thinking Merc or Audi saloon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    Nice choice on the E Class. I think I'll be leasing next, when my 55 plate Ford Focus finally decides to die! Will have to a be a personal lease rather company though.

Question - do people generally prefer to deal direct with the manufacturers when getting a lease deal, or are you going through one of the many 3rd part leasing companies? And if the latter, any recommendations on which one? I am also thinking Merc or Audi saloon.

Thanks
    If your Focus is a diesel, Mercedes are currently offering and additional £2k +VAT when you trade in against a new diesel car.
    Look on the Mercedes website at their offers as they usually have one or two with large finance deposit contributions.

I was looking at a C200 (petrol) estate which came out at about £23k on the road.

Craftsman
    Can I ask where you leased from? Good choice and a lovely engine and gearbox combo...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post

Thanks
    Can I ask where you leased from? Good choice and a lovely engine and gearbox combo...
    Thanks both.

I dealt directly with the local Mercedes-Benz dealer for my last E-Class (having printed off a good quote from an online source so they could match the figures). This time however I'm using Carsave (UK) Ltd. in Sheffield, dealing with a guy called Jon Harvey. The car is not due to be delivered until the 9th, but so far my dealings with Jon at Carsave have been a real pleasure. He's a very helpful chap and (again, so far) the whole process has been very smooth and easy, and of course the price is very good. I suppose the only (very minor) disadvantage of doing it this way is that the car is being driven to my house for delivery, rather than experiencing that delightful moment in the showroom when the dust sheet is removed from your gleaming new car ready for you to drive it home! Small price to pay in exchange for a good deal on the car.

Craftsman
    Well I did take the left field option and ordered a Volvo S90 Inscription Auto in Osmium Grey, charcoal nappa leather and mesh metal inlays. Added the winter pack and dark tinted windows to the near top spec car - very happy with the choice. On 10k miles per annum and a 3+35 non maintained deal, I managed to save £30 a month on what I am currently paying for my VW Golf 3dr GTD. A cracking deal from Neva Direct and I look forward to 15th March 2018 with great anticipation... happy days...

Craftsman
    I'm test driving the E Class Premium next week. I looked at the Audi but the fact it's the outgoing model removed that from the list for me. I've driven a 5 series for the last 4 years and the new model doesn't look different enough. Given that I've had two BMW's in the past, I think it's time for a change. Still unsure whether to get the estate though?

I swore off VAG after poor dealings with Audi customer service in the past. However, this was 8-9 years ago, things might conceivably have improved in the meantime.

Craftsman
    I've had two VW's and a SEAT over the last few years - okay not Audi I know. I could not recommend their local garages highly enough - great honest service. If I had not owned the VW's I would have ordered an Arteon last week; however, I just fancied something different.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    XF 2.0d Prestige 180 bhp Auto
    Last week I was travelling the motorways of the UK again. It was mainly around 70mph but with some roadworks down to 50mph & I have to say I’m impressed with the economy & range on these new diesels...

That’s around 750 miles on a tank for a car of this size !

z

Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    I'm test driving the E Class Premium next week. I looked at the Audi but the fact it's the outgoing model removed that from the list for me. I've driven a 5 series for the last 4 years and the new model doesn't look different enough. Given that I've had two BMW's in the past, I think it's time for a change. Still unsure whether to get the estate though?

I went from 5 BMW's over about 18 years to a E350 and was just annoyed with myself for not doing it sooner. Not a "drivers cars" like my old 325 MSport, but much better than my old 525 MSport.

The only negative is that Merc Diamond cut wheels tarnish and I have been quoted £400 to have the stripped and redone.

Other than that its been brilliant. It's now 5 years old and I still have no intention of replacing it. The automatic headlights (low/high bream) are like witchcraft

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I went from 5 BMW's over about 18 years to a E350 and was just annoyed with myself for not doing it sooner. Not a "drivers cars" like my old 325 MSport, but much better than my old 525 MSport.

The only negative is that Merc Diamond cut wheels tarnish and I have been quoted £400 to have the stripped and redone.

Other than that its been brilliant. It's now 5 years old and I still have no intention of replacing it. The automatic headlights (low/high bream) are like witchcraft
    You lot with your E350's aren't helping at all. I'm currently driving a 12 plate E220 estate and whilst it is not a drivers car it demolishes long journeys...... I had an offer on a new E class estate which was basically a 28% discount. The old saying he who hesitates has never been truer and I missed the deadline!! I'm kicking myself now as I'd love one of the new ones but then again there is nothing wrong with the one I have got.

I'm hoping the OP gets some pictures up so I can drool and beat myself up for not changing.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

It will be a 220 for me. Test car arrives tomorrow morning so will post later how I find it.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    I'd love one of the new ones but then again there is nothing wrong with the one I have got.

I'm hoping the OP gets some pictures up so I can drool and beat myself up for not changing.
    Ive the same issue but mine's a 55 plate!

There's a nice new E63 AMG on the "what are you driving" thread.

Seems this thread has moved on a bit since I last looked.

Thought I'd post an update now I've been driving the new car for a week and a half (the delivery date was pushed back from the original estimate). I've done nearly 1000 miles in the car in the 10 days since I've had it, and overall I'm happy ... I think.

The slight reservation is due to the areas where I think my previous car was better, and that's mainly the interior. Now, before I go any further you should know I have slightly old-fashioned taste in car interiors! I was able to spec my E220 exactly as I wanted it as it was a factory order and I chose cream leather, polished walnut trim and dark metallic blue exterior. Even as the car was being collected yesterday I looked at it and thought "that looks superb"!

Because I got a good deal on the lease of the E350 and the big drawback with the old car was the engine/gearbox, I accepted I wouldn't be able to have some of the extras I enjoyed on the old car, such as the memory seats, panoramic roof, 80 litre fuel tank, interior trim to my taste etc. but what I have been surprised about is the lack of a few seemingly trivial features on the W212 which are missing from the latest W213. OK, so the interior design looks very modern and stylish, but as a result I have no keypad (for both phone and radio presets). I have no "favourite" button (which I'd programmed to enter home into the Satnav on the old car). Navigation around the media interface is very clumsy. There are no longer storage bins under the front seats. There is no 12v socket in the boot. There are no coin slots for car park change. The centre stowage is much smaller. There is no lumbar adjustment on the driver's seat. These are just the things I've noticed in the first 10 days of ownership. There may be more, and conversely I may discover more things I like about the car as time goes by. Set against all the negatives above are the three things I love about this car, the engine, the gearbox and the suspension. The 457 lbs/ft of torque is brilliant and gives effortless performance. The engine is also beautifully smooth and quiet. Surprisingly I'm also seeing high forties mpg at the moment on my commute, when I expected low forties in this very early phase (in my experience Mercedes engines improve dramatically in mpg as you pile on the miles). The 9-speed gearbox is much better than the old 7-speed, and the air suspension is just brilliant. The ride quality is superb, but it can be tightened up a bit when the mood dictates.

Overall then, I'm pleased with it. The performance of the car puts a smile on my face, but I can waft along in near silence when I feel like it. If only Mercedes-Benz hadn't done away with so many of the little things which make everyday living with the car more pleasurable.

I'll put up one or two photos when I get time for anyone interested.
    Last edited by Ian_O; 4th October 2017 at 10:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Ive the same issue but mine's a 55 plate!

There's a nice new E63 AMG on the "what are you driving" thread.
    That's my new E63s on the 'What do you drive' thread. It replaced my previous W212 E63. I also had a W211 E320d estate, a lovely car for eating up the miles. I don't do high miles any more, so an E63 is practical for me.

I do like Mercedes E Class. I tried a BMW 5 Series and an A6 Audi. But they are 'drivers cars', which to me means twitchy steering that I got fed with. The E Class steering feels just right to me.
    I agree with Ian_O, I miss the under seat storage bins in the new W213.

I got bored with Silver, Black, or White Mercedes, they are everywhere. So I ordered my new car Hyacinth Red. That is a very rare colour. I have never seen a red E Class on the road before. It was an easy choice for me, and I love it.
    I don't want to hi-jack this thread... - pics are on the 'What do you drive' thread.

And very nice it is too Jim!

Journeyman

New E Class just out.

Super car. The first of a new model is always better than the last of the old one. Go with the Merc.

Craftsman
    Finished a 3 day test drive of the E220 SE Premium today. Loved it and have placed an order.

Master

E-Class or A6?

Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    Finished a 3 day test drive of the E220 SE Premium today. Loved it and have placed an order.
    Were there any conditions to you getting a three day loan?
    Last edited by jaytip; 7th October 2017 at 01:21.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Were there any conditions to you getting a three day loan?
    No. It will be a company car so it was arranged by the leasing company. Just had to provide them with a copy of my licence and the company insurance. Seems standard practice as I was also offered a Landrover Discovery Sport for 3 days. I cancelled that though after driving the E Class.

Craftsman
    Well I did take the left field option and ordered a Volvo S90 Inscription Auto in Osmium Grey, charcoal nappa leather and mesh metal inlays. Added the winter pack and dark tinted windows to the near top spec car - very happy with the choice. On 10k miles per annum and a 3+35 non maintained deal, I managed to save £30 a month on what I am currently paying for my VW Golf 3dr GTD. A cracking deal from Neva Direct and I look forward to 15th March 2018 with great anticipation... happy days...
    Pppfffft. Back to square one. Lease firms finance company will not honour the quote for next March. Would have to take delivery of the car before the end of December, and my current lease runs until mid March. Quote for next year is too high. Took a VW Arteon out for a drive today, not bad at all.

Pppfffft. Back to square one. Lease firms finance company will not honour the quote for next March. Would have to take delivery of the car before the end of December, and my current lease runs until mid March. Quote for next year is too high. Took a VW Arteon out for a drive today, not bad at all.
    The naming leaves a bit to be desired although it looks like a nice car.