closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biggest selling regret!!

Biggest selling regret!!

Been sorting through a load of old photos and found this one. An all original SM300 and a minty Ed White Speedy, both had their Extract of Archives and their boxes. I sold the SM300 in 2012 for £1850 and the Ed White in 2013 for £2850. Seemed like perfectly good prices at the time!

Along with a lovely 16750 GMT, a white gold Zenith Daytona, an Apollo-Soyuz Speedy, an minty old Monaco, a Carerra Dato 45 and these two Omegas, I have absolutely no regrets about selling watches 5 to 15 years ago!!

SM300 and Ed White! July 2011 by Greg Noble, on Flickr

What is your biggest selling regret??

Craftsman
    Might sound a bit daft but I miss my Corum Bubble

Master
    Wish I'd kept this one...

Blue smp quartz, I sold for £500! 😢

Master
    This for me. Think I sold it for around £3000. Best ever PO and one of the nicest dive watches in my opinion. Would love to have another!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    This for me. Think I sold it for around £3000. Best ever PO and one of the nicest dive watches in my opinion. Would love to have another!

I remember being offered one of these super limited edition watched new and turning it down... Big mistake.

My biggest regret is selling my 2500 planet ocean

Master
    I never sell so no regrets.

Craftsman
    I had a 1 year old CWC SBS which I sold a couple of years ago for £200. Really wish I'd kept it now. I didn't really appreciate it at the time and wasn't entirely sure of its value. I can't believe how expensive they've become. I'm strictly a one in, one out collector and was getting ready for my next purchase which was a Sinn U1SDR. Great watch but I decided to sell it after a year to free up some cash for a new hobby. I put it on eBay and turned down a few cheeky private offers around the £750 mark. It finally sold for....£680, minus fees etc! A regrettable sale for different reasons!
    You guys have had some bargains out of me over the years!

Master
    Regret because I miss it = Breitling Avenger Skyland

Regret because it's worth ++ more now = 1967 Speedmaster 145.012, cal.321

The latter isn't really a regret, since I'm frustratingly unmotivated by money, but in terms of watches sold for a fair price which subsequently skyrocketed, that'd be it.

The one I wish I had kept

Regret swapping a GMT Master II I bought new in 1989 for a speedy moonwatch 4 years later...

Long before I knew what watches were worth ! wish I'd kept the GMT and bought a bloody speedy at the time

Only watch I regret selling was my Longines Ultronic.

It was the perfect watch to wear with a suit, but I was persuaded to sell it.

To be honest, I don't sell many watches, but other than this one, I've not really missed any I have.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 18th August 2017 at 16:11.

Craftsman
    Jesus that SM300 is beautiful.

I would regret that too.

Journeyman
    For me, its one i didn't buy. Had everything lined up for a used Daytona and i got cold feet at the last moment. it was my first big purchase and I ended up buying a new Sub instead. The SubC is a great watch but i have always regretted not buying the Daytona.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I never sell so no regrets.
    I regret that I haven't ever sold any.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by udayrulz View Post
    but i have always regretted not buying the Daytona.
    Don't; it's an over-rated girls watch.

Master
    I Miss this one

Master
    Two: an early 50s Oyster that I let pass through my hands to a colleague; and an early 90s Speedie with delicious vanilla plots that I sold to the same colleague for a very good price.

Though when I see the OP's regrets list, I realise that I have little to complain about.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

This one for me:

20170216_165909 by ataripower, on Flickr

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    This one for me:

20170216_165909 by ataripower, on Flickr
    That's is lovely ❤️ I can see why you'd regret that. Never sold any yet.....

Master
    I regret selling these two:

Both seemed like a good idea at the time, and were sold to fund some other "must have" thing, but I'd like to get them both back again some day - in the same condition I sold them in.

Master
    I traded your stunning 358LE which was still in the same stunning condition I bought it off SC, with Andy (big chopper) for his yellow emergency which I recently moved on to Mick (mk1974) what a hobby!!
    Don't know if Andy still has it, it was the full set with the Sinn bracelet.

Tudor Sub 79090. Traded in to dealer (£600) against my lovely GMT 11 in 2001. I should have kept it as I didn't need to trade it in.

Master
    My Omega Seamaster titanium 2231.50. It's not about the money, my loss can be calculated in hundreds, but I had an absolutely pristine example and I really liked the watch. My flipping got a bit wild a few years ago and I just kind of let it go without thinking. Quite difficult (and expensive) to get one in such condition nowadays.

Not my pic

White Daytona 116520 and a couple of 14060s.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Don't; it's an over-rated girls watch.
    Tosh.

Craftsman

Had a massive brain fart when I flipped this beauty....

Master
    Pic borrowed from the net, but here's mine:

These four for sure...

I'd love another one, but they're out of my price range now.

Also regret letting these go, for various reasons and in no particular order...

Master
    this is my biggest regret,

T dial Pam243 sold for £4000ish back in 2008/9 with a view to replace with a brand new (from AD) Seadweller 16600 (similar price)
    by the time I had the funds a recent house move had swallowed up the cash, No Pam and no Rolex

Regret selling this, it was my 1st mechanical watch in the hobby and a great watch in it's own right.

Master
    Many. A TT datejust, which was my first Rolex, a TT YM, and an LV. Also regret selling my Cartier roadster chronograph, a stunner.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Idc0001 View Post
    I remember being offered one of these super limited edition watched new and turning it down... Big mistake.

My biggest regret is selling my 2500 planet ocean
    Oh yeah sweat match. I'm ne listing gros baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post

T dial Pam243 sold for £4000ish back in 2008/9 with a view to replace with a brand new (from AD) Seadweller 16600 (similar price)
    by the time I had the funds a recent house move had swallowed up the cash, No Pam and no Rolex
    Never sell house when moving house! Instead take some equity out and buy another one ! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post

Never sell watch when moving house! Instead take some equity out and buy another one ! :)

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Been sorting through a load of old photos and found this one. An all original SM300 and a minty Ed White Speedy, both had their Extract of Archives and their boxes. I sold the SM300 in 2012 for £1850 and the Ed White in 2013 for £2850. Seemed like perfectly good prices at the time!

Along with a lovely 16750 GMT, a white gold Zenith Daytona, an Apollo-Soyuz Speedy, an minty old Monaco, a Carerra Dato 45 and these two Omegas, I have absolutely no regrets about selling watches 5 to 15 years ago!!

Oh yeah that SM300

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah that SM300 is so nice

I can toss in a buying regret or missed opportunity tonight.

I was on Haywood's site earlier and was close to tears when I saw this.

http://www.miltonaires.com/product/6006

Why is it never me who stumbles on these things first.

A 1971 stepped dial, original bracelet with a period dnn insert for £2.5k and the shop is 10 miles from me.

A £350.00 trip to Simon Freese would turn this into a complete gem and virtually double its value.

Almost worth swearing and getting a ban for.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 19th August 2017 at 00:28.

Master

Meaning!!

To be honest Ive sold loads that would be worth a fortune now and many that I could not afford now but they aren't my regrets!!
    My main three are Seiko Giugiaro with an orange face that was my first big watch purchase(£500 was a lot for me then!!) some 20 years ago!! A Citizen Aqualand that I bought in the US that had the perfect dial, hand and crown makeup for me, haven't found one since!!!!!!
    Then the only higher priced one was an Omega 300 that my wife bought on a credit card without me knowing so I took it back, that has always annoyed me as I'd bought her loads of watches on cards and paid them off but I felt like we had bitten off more than we could chew with that one?!?! This was when my wife worked before we had kids so this was the last watch she bought with her own money(all be it she would have had to pay it back to the card company😂🤗👍🏻)
    Anyway the wife doesn't have enough of her own personal money now to be able to surprise me with a present like that ever again do I do wish I had kept it just for sentimental reasons!!
    Not as exciting as some but still my regrets!!!

Chris

Been sorting through a load of old photos and found this one. An all original SM300 and a minty Ed White Speedy, both had their Extract of Archives and their boxes. I sold the SM300 in 2012 for £1850 and the Ed White in 2013 for £2850. Seemed like perfectly good prices at the time.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing, under £5k for the pair. I bid £8k on a big triangle SM300 in an auction and it sold for for £12k, which went up to £15k with fees - these are seriously rare and try finding an Ed White under £10k and yours looked a stunner.

I am also a victim, I bought and sold a Daytona 16520 Zenith white dial for £9k last Christmas and now 8 months later Watchfinder want £17k for the same watch.

Rolex GMT Master 16753 for £1500, Rolex 1530 for £1500, Rolex Day Date Oysterquartz for £4000 ... and many others.

But all pale compared to my wise decision to offload a thousand AAPL shares at under $20 in the early 2000s. That would have been 14,000 shares today, for well over $2m in total - excluding dividends. Oh well. My watch mistakes are irrelevant

Fortis Cosmonaut Day Date - Twice!

CWC Divers - figured I could always pick up another but not now that the prices have rocketed.

Mileata M1 - never come up for sale and new prices are daft. Sold it super cheap too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

A 1971 stepped dial, original bracelet with a period dnn insert for £2.5k and the shop is 10 miles from me.

A £350.00 trip to Simon Freese would turn this into a complete gem and virtually double its value.

I noticed that a few months ago. Apparently the buyer is paying for it in instalments. I've asked them to contact me if they can't pay in the end.

Master

This was a fun watch

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Master
    If you like it, don't sell it !

Master
    As I'm a serial flipper there is loads of them. Most recent regret is this one

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    If you like it, don't sell it !
    Some of us need to sell so as to afford a new "Hit"...

I was very tempted by this one when I processed it for Haywood but I’d just bought a 168000 so it was bad timing!!

Phil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

1 My first 16600 SD. Cost me quite a bit more to replace it.
    2 = My Kermit & BLNR - Both sold for circa £5k to raise cash to assist my Son buy his first flat just before the values started to climb quite sharply.
    Last edited by andy tims; 19th August 2017 at 13:43.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I'm on my second Planet ocean 2500 orange dial (but owned 3 PO) but probably miss my Rolex GMT II the most.
    Bought when they looked like great value against the Submariner but that gap has closed.
    Fancy another Submariner now having sold a new hulk - again would be my 3rd sub...
    Just noticed a theme

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Some of us need to sell so as to afford a new "Hit"...
    If you really like it don't sell it !

Not really a selling regret, more a bit buying. My father had a 1970s Rolex Oyster Perpetual. As he got older he found he wasn't wearing it and offered me it for a few hundred pounds. As I wasn't into watches then and didn't have any money spare, I declined and he sold it to Austin Kaye for £700. If I knew then what I know now...