closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedy V Max Bill

Journeyman

Speedy V Max Bill

Ny first post, here goes :-)

My thoughts for what they are worth,
    I am looking at getting a new speedy moonwatch, but I keep getting drawn to the Max Bill Chronoscope!! I love the cleaner look of it, disregarding the difference in price, am I mad!!
    I have not seen a Max Bill in person yet, but I am planning on going to Stewarts in Leicester to have a look.
    what do folks think?

Scottie

Smile

Hi Scottie and welcome.

Yes you are mad. The speedy wins for me everytime. Now you have entered the Time Light Zone.. you will maybe buy both.

ismaaeel

Master
    Not so sure the two are comparable, with the Speedy being more or less double the price of a Max Bill Chronoscope.

One thing is sure though : they are both very nice watches and I'd gladly go for either of them, depending on how much money I had

Master
    Both very tasteful IMO. Is it the black chronoscope you're looking at? The main issue is probably your views on how busy/minimalistic the dials are.

I have the speedy but probably prefer the minimalist look of the chronoscope. Max bill is smaller. I'd want it on the bracelet, however, adding my own leather as an alternative look.

Journeyman
    There is a large price difference that cannot be ignored, hell I could even get a Nomos as well :-) but I have always wanted a speedmaster just now I am not so sure, is the finishing that much nicer than Junghans? I dont believe the movement is better, aesthetically I was leaning towards the cleaner lines of the max Bill, in fact anything from Glasshute really.

stefmcd
    Interesting that you have a speedy and you prefer the Max Bill, it was indeed the black one I was looking at with the arabic numerals,
    should be interesting to see one tomorrow

Scottie

The Max Bills are very attractive watches, beautiful to look at...but you spend a lot more time feeling the watch on your wrist than you do gazing at it.

The Max Bill case design in its original state - a sub-35mm manual - is a nimble little thing, but by the time it's being stretched to 40mm and doubled in thickness, it's lost its subtley of physical presence. Even the 38mm auto can feel like it's perched on the wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie2345 View Post
    stefmcd
    Interesting that you have a speedy and you prefer the Max Bill, it was indeed the black one I was looking at with the arabic numerals,
    should be interesting to see one tomorrow

Scottie
    I prefer the LOOK of the max bill, der ampf's point about its feel on the wrist may well suggest I'd be disappointed. You are doing the right thing by trying it on first. Saves the grief of taking a big hit on resell if you don't like it.

Craftsman
    The Max is a good watch to have in a collection and wear occasionally but a tad delicate for robust all-purpose wear unlike the Speedy.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie2345 View Post
    ...but I have always wanted a speedmaster just now I am not so sure...
    If your heart has always been set on a speedmaster I would go with it or atleast take some time to think it over. Find myself getting distracted by new watch interests while savings funds for a specific watch but think I'm always better sticking to the original plan as generally just fleeting lust.

Master
    I think if you start looking for quality or finishing differences you'll always end up plumping for the cheaper watch as in is a Rolex Sub 18 x's better than a Seiko Monster?
    However if you are buying a Speedmaster it really is a go anywhere dress it up or down watch and they age well as proven by the vintage models.
    Buying well I.e grey market could result in less of a hit if you decide to sell on. Also you get to a point buying second hand where you could buy and sell it on at virtually no loss at all.
    If I was saving up for a watch and really through general experience I'd always buy the more expensive Watch first and then get the other as a nice to have down the road.
    I have tried on Junghans at Selfridges and did think they are great watches though so it's a nice problem to have.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by AidanG View Post
    If your heart has always been set on a speedmaster I would go with it or a tleast take some time to think it over. Find myself getting distracted by new watch interests while savings funds for a specific watch but think I'm always better sticking to the original plan as generally just fleeting lust.

This is so me, getting distracted with more shiny things :-) worst for me is looking on Ebay, vintage seikos in particular, I keep looking at bellmatics!!!
    but i have been rather keen on Max for a while.

Scottie

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    I think if you start looking for quality or finishing differences you'll always end up plumping for the cheaper watch as in is a Rolex Sub 18 x's better than a Seiko Monster?
    However if you are buying a Speedmaster it really is a go anywhere dress it up or down watch and they age well as proven by the vintage models.
    Buying well I.e grey market could result in less of a hit if you decide to sell on. Also you get to a point buying second hand where you could buy and sell it on at virtually no loss at all.
    If I was saving up for a watch and really through general experience I'd always buy the more expensive Watch first and then get the other as a nice to have down the road.
    I have tried on Junghans at Selfridges and did think they are great watches though so it's a nice problem to have.

I was thinking grey market, Iconic probably, you are of course right, I should get the speedy, there is always a three hand max bill which is cheaper as a future purchase.

Scottie

speedyprospeedyprospeedyprospeedyprospeedyprospeed yprospeedypro

It's one of the most important watches ever made and that plus a Sub would be boxes ticked in most complete collections

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Speedy V Max Bill

I've had three Speedmasters and sold them all. It's a must have watch, but for me the allure wore off quite quickly. Also, they are a bitch to wind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really love the look of the Max Bill over the Speedy, but the lack of running second hand on the Max Bill would get to me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I love both and have had a couple of Speedys over the years, but fancied something different to add to my collection. Enter the Max Bill Chronoscope its such a beautiful clean looking face, I only wear it as a dress watch but I love it.

Last edited by hilly10; 18th August 2017 at 20:38.

I have the white/silver dial Chronoscope without numerals and I think it wears/looks bigger than the Speedmaster. I do love it, but the movement (operating the pushers and setting the time) feels cheap and nasty compared to the Speedmaster too.

When I bought my Chronoscope (white dial, because Speedy among some others) I had my Speedy Moon on my wrist. I think you must have both ;) Seriously. CS is very elegant and that is very much said when compared to Speedy.

JP

Journeyman
    bit of a update,
    I went and tried on the max bill and loved it, its the way it seems to have this lovely high domed crystal, that goes right to the edge of the case, I struggled not to buy it there and then!!!
    but I shall take my time, I think i might get the speedy first as I have always wanted one,
    They have got some lovely watches there, also very tempted with a preowned Muhle, well worth a visit
    Thanks for everyones thoughts,

Scottie