closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sale of Goods Act - TV's

Sale of Goods Act - TV's

Wonder if anyone can advise or help

Long story short, bought a 55" Sony TV in August 2015, £859. A couple of weeks ago it started playing up (blinking lights, won't switch on) and a quick google suggests it's a common fault with 2015 Sony TV's. Spoke with the supplier (Tesco) and they said they could deal with it but we'd need to speak to Sony first. Happy to do so. Sony basically washing their hands of any comeback as out of warranty and have said we can pay £25 to diagnose the fault and then if we went ahead with repairs they would take £25 off the bill!

Anyway went back to Tesco and advised of situation and after a little toing and froing they have agreed to pay 35% of value based on expected lifespan (so the lifespan is 3yrs???) coming in at £301. Now in fairness to Tesco, they are doing this without much pressing but won't increase as said they are no legally obliged to pay any more than the expected lifespan cost.

Do we have a case with Sony here? Tesco have said if we accept the money they will not be liable for any further claim but we keep the TV (no good as won't switch on).

Really disappointed with Sony and I appreciate it is out of warranty so may not have any other angle to take - just may be one of those things and I am grateful Tesco will do something.

As I say - just after any thoughts?

Master
    Your contract is with Tesco, you have no recourse against Sony.

You could go after them on SM, which does bear fruit sometimes.

If you pay for an accredited engineer to look at it and he/she can verify there is a manufacturing defect, you can claim for up to 6 years. The onus is now on you to prove this however, and how easy this is to do is another question.

My experience with Sony is that they are very fair with out of warranty repairs — they repaired a CD player for me free of charge on one occasion that had been out of warranty a lot longer than your TV. On another occasion I just paid for a part which was very little. I'd take Tesco's money and get Sony to look at it. You might end up up on the deal.

Master
    Like others have said- You'll have to get an independent engineer to assess the set and no doubt there will be a lot of faffing around trying to get something out of Sony- My suggestion is take it on the chin, take the money and head off to either JL or Richer Sounds and buy a new set with a 5 YEAR Warranty inc- Have had similar problems with sets over the years and JL have always gone overboard fixing or replacing the sets.

Master
    I had a new Sky Box sent to me for this reason. You get 12 months warranty, then they will see if you want pay insurance at £15 or so a month. No thanks.

After 13 months my box decided to stop working so I called them. They (Sky) wanted paying for a new box so my argument was that no electronic device worth £400 (their words) should have a life expectancy of just over one year. Eventually they agreed to have a new box installed FOC.

I think a TV costing that much which suffered a "well known" fault should be covered by this and a repair/replacement should be offered to you, IMO.

Good luck.

Thanks all - that's good enough for me. Didn't realise the contract is with the provider not the end product company.

I'll take the money.

For info - it's a TV I no longer have (I replaced it with a Samsung in May from Richer Sounds) but sold it to a friend then - so I am doing what I can to sort. Was just easier saying it the way I did above although should have mentioned it anyway.

My friends are happy to accept that as it is - but I've said I'll cover the difference (only £99) although they've refused that offer saying there's no need. I will though.

Fair point re: getting Sony to look - I suppose worst case is losing £25.

Thanks again

Master
    If you pay more than£500 a reasonable person would expect s TV to last 5 years. That is what you should receive. Either repairs during the first 5 years or if accepting a payment should be based on a five year life expectancy. Actually, having read the above the poster mentioning 6 years is correct

I've had a few occasions with Currys when I had to point out that rule and they have always responded correctly
    Last edited by redmonaco; 17th August 2017 at 16:37.

All explained here is a few short paragraphs http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...mer-rights-act

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    If you pay more than£500 a reasonable person would expect s TV to last 5 years. That is what you should receive. Either repairs during the first 5 years or if accepting a payment should be based on a five year life expectancy. Actually, having read the above the poster mentioning 6 years is correct

I've had a few occasions with Currys when I had to point out that rule and they have always responded correctly
    I fully agree. However, they have said they will only pay 35% of value and I did push this. I'll be going back tomorrow anyway but will accept

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    All explained here is a few short paragraphs http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...mer-rights-act
    That didn't come into effect until after I bought the TV. Funnily enough, Apple have just repaired my Macbook Air FOC due to the consumer act. They pointed this out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post

That didn't come into effect until after I bought the TV. Funnily enough, Apple have just repaired my Macbook Air FOC due to the consumer act. They pointed this out to me.
    Then you need to look up the sale of goods act.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Then you need to look up the sale of goods act.
    Sorry you've lost me?

Master

The consumer rights act says you have 6 years to claim but you have to prove that the item was faulty when manufactured. SOG says this too so could you tell me how your conversations with Currys have gone and why they complied, assuming it wasn't just goodwill
    Thanks

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    The consumer rights act says you have 6 years to claim but you have to prove that the item was faulty when manufactured. SOG says this too so could you tell me how your conversations with Currys have gone and why they complied, assuming it wasn't just goodwill
    Thanks
    LG TV went wrong after 18 months or so. Currys said out of warranty. I stated soga and 6 year rule. I had to pay £75 for engineer to inspect . When confirmed faulty they repaired and refunded engineers inspects. Same happened when same TV went wrong again after another

18 months

Sorry you've lost me?
    The SOGA was superseded with a different act. At the time you bought under the SOGA so that will apply.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post
    The SOGA was superseded with a different act. At the time you bought under the SOGA so that will apply.
    I know that - I asked my opening post about the Sale of Goods Act (and my thread is titled that). Hence I don't know what was being suggested??

Craftsman
    You purchase was made with Tesco so I believe any recourse open to you would have to be with them.

Expected life of a large flat screen TV, I would say it has to be 5 or 6 years as why would John Lewis (5 years) and Richer Sounds (6 years) include guarantees of that length in the price. They are not going to do that if significant numbers of large flat screen TVs are going to start developing major faults after just 3 years.

I have bought a few large screen TVs over the years, I always buy Samsung, only ever had one issue, a guy came out on behalf of John Lewis and basically replaced the entire circuit board inside, which suggests to me that they don't repair anything these days.

I know that - I asked my opening post about the Sale of Goods Act (and my thread is titled that). Hence I don't know what was being suggested??
    I think he was stating that just in case.

One of the things in the SOGA is that something has to be fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality so you would have a strong case of arguing that a Sony TV is a premium product and should last longer than it has and that Tesco should repair for free at the worst.

Master
    LG TV went wrong after 18 months or so. Currys said out of warranty. I stated soga and 6 year rule. I had to pay £75 for engineer to inspect . When confirmed faulty they repaired and refunded engineers inspects. Same happened when same TV went wrong again after another

18 months
    Ok thanks. Were Currys interested in defending it at all or just agreed once your report was in? I'm just trying to see how faulty at the point of manufacture might differ from became faulty after a period of time/use.
    Last edited by DavidL; 18th August 2017 at 19:09.

Played it nice with a Tesco a bit earlier saying I didn't find 35% enough. Anyway after a bit of a chat they upped it and I've accepted £391.05. Random but accepted.

Annoyingly they now want the tv back so I have to somehow package it for a courier. Yesterday they didn't want it.

I've no issue with it going back but asking for it to be packaged is very inconvenient but sounds like there's no option.

Craftsman
    The other option could be to dump it on the customer service desk of your local store, call it giving the same level of assistance you seem to be getting...