closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grandads old Marvin watch

Grandads old Marvin watch

I clean forgot about this and found my grandads old Marvin watch in the safe yesterday. See below for the link to the previous thread on this.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=359680

Anyway I had sent for a service a while ago, work completed was a light case and glass polish, the movement serviced and the dial given a very light clean. All in that cost £120 which I thought to be pretty steep but the sentimental value of the watch makes it ok in man math. Add in a "Condor camal grain" 20mm open ended strap and the job is complete.

I'll be giving it to my dad tonight to see if he wants it as they'll be off on hols soon to Italy where his dad was actually blown up (and survived) in Monte Cassino in WW2.

Anyway (hopefully) some pics.

Can't seem to attach any using tapatalk from my gallery on my phone so tried as attachments

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Great story and £120 well spent. I'm sure Dad will love it and the care shown to it will touch him. Damn but that looks tight on the wrist in your last pic tho!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Great story and £120 well spent. I'm sure Dad will love it and the care shown to it will touch him. Damn but that looks tight on the wrist in your last pic tho!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He's not really a watch wearer but I'll give him the choice. I've just looked at that photo again and it does appear tight though it wasn't. I thibk it just how some of my manly arm hairs clumped together to look like a crease of skin.

I'm sure your Dad will love that.

I always like those old rectangular deco style watches and Marvin are always decent quality.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Marvin are on the High Street of La Chaux de Fonds. Lovely boutique.
    Very nice underrated watches.

The dial could do with a bit of restoration.

Brendan

I was advised the dial was too far gone to restore. It was cleaned up as much as it could be.

I offered it back to my dad last night but he wants me to keep it so that's what's happening. He did confirm that grandad did indeed take it off a dead German soldier at Monte Cassino so it's a pretty old piece. I'm going to try and do an accuracy test today (if I remember). I've just wound it up and I'm surprised at how strong the winding mechanism feels. It's got a good positive feel to it.