closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lightning

Lightning

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Amazing. Perhaps that's how life started.........

Brendan

Fabulous.

I've always found it amazing that the lightning flash we see travels from the ground up to the clouds, not the other way around.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Craftsman
    It does both doesn't it? Can't remember which end starts first, but a short streamer goes up from the ground, a long one comes down from the clouds and they meet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Amazing. Perhaps that's how life started.........

Brendan
    Over the past 20+ yrs we've lived two different houses. Both were struck by lightning, leaving an expensive chaos. In short: the electrical installations (2x) needed to be replaced and a lot of 'machines' with a stand-by modus had died: TV, computer, induction cooking plate with timer etc.

Still, no need to worry. Last time we were hit (2009), the home next door nearly burned down: an old house with a prehistoric electrical installation that caught fire. Luckily the lady's son was at her home and able to put the fire out! It's all what the Americans call 'An act of God'. Chances of getting hit by a bus are bigger.

Menno

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Over the past 20+ yrs we've lived two different houses. Both were struck by lightning, leaving an expensive chaos. In short: the electrical installations (2x) needed to be replaced and a lot of 'machines' with a stand-by modus had died: TV, computer, induction cooking plate with timer etc.

Still, no need to worry. Last time we were hit (2009), the home next door nearly burned down: an old house with a prehistoric electrical installation that caught fire. Luckily the lady's son was at her home and able to put the fire out! It's all what the Americans call 'An act of God'. Chances of getting hit by a bus are bigger.

Menno
    Or winning the lottery to pay for the damage..
    Bad luck. I'm sorry to hear it.

Brendan

Master
    Our house was hit on the night of my stag night 25 years ago. I came home after a heavy night out to find the house in total darkness and thought my mates had pulled all the fuses as a joke so I fumbled around in the fuse box, in the dark and got things back on. It wasn't until the morning when I found the tv, DVD, vcr, stereo and satellite system were all dead that it dawned on me.

A neighbour witnessed it and he swears he saw a ball of lightning hit the satellite dish. He said the ground shook under his feet. He was quite shaken up.

Blog Entries
    The power involved is scary in the extreme. Mother Nature at her best, or worst.
    Ian

Lightning is incredible - much hotter than the surface of the Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Fabulous.

I've always found it amazing that the lightning flash we see travels from the ground up to the clouds, not the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by fraggle42 View Post
    It does both doesn't it? Can't remember which end starts first, but a short streamer goes up from the ground, a long one comes down from the clouds and they meet.
    I never knew that, always assumed it was top - down.

I've had several 'too close for comfort' experiences of lightning strikes, but my father was actually injured when one hit his home. He was on the phone at the time, he received burns to his arm where the coiled handset cable ran and the phone cable channeled into the wall blew out of the plaster.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    And it's oh so common...!

https://www.lightningmaps.org

I remember cycling home from university in Delft in the worse lightning storm I've ever experienced, genuinely fearful I'd be struck. Crazy stuff.