closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bremont question

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    You're missing the point.
    Bremont = we have strong military connections, history, blah, blah, blah. as their marketing goes.
    NO
    Reality= Bremont sold some watches to customers, who just happen to be in the military.

There is a difference, but you can't see it, then their marketing person needs a raise, as their campaign worked
    i disagree. Have a nice day.

Master
    Obviously they haven't 'earned' it in the eyes of a few nerds on an Internet forum,
    That's pretty insulting considering some of the intellects on here.

It always amuses me how these threads go, no love for a British brand trying to make its place in the watch industry.
    The watches are well engineered and distinctive in their own right it's just a shame that they mar the brand with falsehoods.
    I have every respect for them as British businessmen but that respect diminishes when they make false claims about being 'involved in the military and special forces'.

Is this true:
    The Bremont Victory’s middle barrel was made from huge brass nails that were on the ship at the Battle of Trafalgar
    or this:
    Incorporating original oak timber and copper from the vessel,
    Is so then this watch can stand as unique and a nice watch to own.

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    That's pretty insulting considering some of the intellects on here.

The watches are well engineered and distinctive in their own right it's just a shame that they mar the brand with falsehoods.
    I have every respect for them as British businessmen but that respect diminishes when they make false claims about being 'involved in the military and special forces'.

Is this true:

or this:

Is so then this watch can stand as unique and a nice watch to own.
    Are you really insulted by being called a nerd? You're a member of a watch forum, regardless of our intellect or who we are in the real world I would say we're all pretty nerdy...!

Point me in the direction of these false claims. As I said misinterpreting their marketing is not the same as false claims.

Master
    ah, didn't realise you were calling me a nerd personally.
    Please keep in mind I have an open mind and am asking a question about the authenticity of their marketing. It's a search for information I'm on, you seem to have taken this slightly personally and that's not my intention. So sorry if I've offended you in some way. I realise that the question may come across as aimed at diminishing the brand but I would be happy to hear that they do produce genuinely issued watches.

Keep in mind I never said they are false claims.
    The links you asked for:
    https://www.bremont.com/blogbook/trip-tick
    https://www.bremont.com/watch/victory/20096
    Last edited by K300; 17th August 2017 at 12:44.

... but I would be happy to hear that they do produce genuinely issued watches.
    You're entirely correct that making watches for military personnel is not the same as that watch being issued. There's no link at all, really, between the two. If the Royal Navy wanted to buy 1,000 Omega Commander watches and issue them, it could. It wouldn't change the watch.
    Last edited by Broussard; 18th August 2017 at 08:07. Reason: spelling

Of course, having an in-house calibre takes them to the same level as the likes of Rolex, JLC and Seiko...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I doubt if any military/Navy/SF in any country in the West really 'issues' expensive watches or commissions a brand to make watches especially for them. They might issue cheap bits of plastic costing $150 but that is about it. Certainly true for US. It makes it a moot point.
    I like the idea of the issued watches of the past but who knows what palms were greased then to get them issued?
    Those are desirable due to their rarity but don't confer any special powers on you nor do they let you pretend that you are an ace commando.
    Bremont ties to forces have been detailed at length here. There is no ambiguity or uncertainty.
    If haters want to carry on with derision and innuendoes, please do.
    Buy them if you like them instead of these malarkey about are they issued or not.
    For me they have some aabsolutely great watches.
    At some point they have to come up with a genuine in house movement,alone or in collaboration.

ah, didn't realise you were calling me a nerd personally.
    Please keep in mind I have an open mind and am asking a question about the authenticity of their marketing. It's a search for information I'm on, you seem to have taken this slightly personally and that's not my intention. So sorry if I've offended you in some way. I realise that the question may come across as aimed at diminishing the brand but I would be happy to hear that they do produce genuinely issued watches.

Keep in mind I never said they are false claims.
    The links you asked for:
    https://www.bremont.com/blogbook/trip-tick
    https://www.bremont.com/watch/victory/20096
    Not you personally, we, as in members of a watch forum...that's pretty nerdy don't you think? I'm fine with being a nerd by the way. I'm not offended, but as Raj points out they're not issued and make no claim that they are, no military issues expensive watches. But the military connections are there, did you look at the Bremont Military Instagram feed? Over 2000 pics of military wearing Bremonts in their day job.

Yes some of their stuff is gimmicky, like the Victory, but it seems to sell watches. They did actually buy a chunk of timber from the Victory, but that's not anything special, they put bits in a watch, good for them, doesn't do anything for me.

All marketing is liable to a little talking up...isn't that what marketing is?

I think they have a great brand and will continue to build, far from disappearing in 5 to 10 years as another poster predicted I think they will continue to grow and within 5 - 10 years will develop a genuine inhouse movement. Why they get the bashing they do is beyond me, they are reinvigorating the British watchmaking business and creating jobs.

People seem snobby about them because they don't have the history, but even Rolex had to start somewhere.

For full disclosure I own a Bremont, would never sell as it's a bit unique. I wouldn't buy a RRP because I don't think watches are good value at RRP regardless of the brand. I have spent time at the Boutique and been to many of their events. It sounds corny but the company feels genuinely like a family and they look after their customers like no other brand I've come across, free events with food and good whiskey and champagne and talks by interesting ambassadors. Rolex could certainly take a leaf out of their book on customer service!

Agree with almost everything in the last comment by Dougair.
    I have my theories about why Bremont gets a hard time here but will keep it to myself.

Bell & Ross were the first to market their military connection in much the same way. It helped sustain the sales, just like it helped Bremont.
    There will come a time where 'nerds' recognition becomes more important, especially given the RRP. It will be a much smoother ride if they have toned down their marketing by then, and kept it factual. They are certainly a good quality product, although thickness is a significant issue for me.

Master
    Yes some of their stuff is gimmicky, like the Victory, but it seems to sell watches. They did actually buy a chunk of timber from the Victory, but that's not anything special, they put bits in a watch, good for them, doesn't do anything for me.
    So are the barrels of the watch actually made from brass nails taken from the HMS Victory that was at the battle of Trafalgar as stated.
    Straight question not interested in 'for or against' argument just let me know yes or no, is it BS or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Bell & Ross were the first to market their military connection in much the same way. It helped sustain the sales, just like it helped Bremont.
    That first bit isn't actually true.
    Breitling have been making unit-pride editions for various squadrons for decades.
    As have many others. Porsche Design, The DPW lot in Italy. Loads of them, from the 70s onwards.
    I am sure it does sustain sales, even if the discount may reduce income (although as they are purchasd direct and not through the AD network, perhaps income per unit is maintained)
    I think the fact that over 100 squadrons and other military groups worldwide have selected them above a bigger, more established name such as Breitling is a significant feather in their cap.
    Not issued, but selected by genuine military personnel. This is not "Walt" in any way.

There will come a time where 'nerds' recognition becomes more important, especially given the RRP. It will be a much smoother ride if they have toned down their marketing by then, and kept it factual. They are certainly a good quality product, although thickness is a significant issue for me.
    Marketing is never truly factual. The whole idea is to paint your company and product in what you see as its best light, and that is never totally unbiased fact.

There have always been a few detractors here, perhaps more in the past. And a few fans too, and likewise perhaps there are a few more now than back then.

Yes, I have one.
    No, I didn't buy it new. I don't buy much new.
    My Bremont is, without doubt, at least as well put together, if not better, than the vast majority of watches I have handled in the past decade, including many that cost significantly more at RRP.
    D

Master
    Blog Entries
    Did the French farmer ever get tracked down??

I vaguely remember people searching for him to verify lol

I like some of the watch designs but I feel their marketing / romantic story does raise some eyebrows

So are the barrels of the watch actually made from brass nails taken from the HMS Victory that was at the battle of Trafalgar as stated.
    Straight question not interested in 'for or against' argument just let me know yes or no, is it BS or not?
    Yes. It's not BS.

The case is steel with part of the copper that was given to them by the Naval Heritage Trust in the form of a 6-8" copper nail that was taken from the rotting hull of HMS Vctory being used to make the case ring (barrel). The rotor was stamped out from the same copper embossed with Nelsons crest. Bremont were also gifted a chunk of rather woodworm-ridden oak from which veneer rings were made in our joint county of Cheshire by a luxury boat interior makers in Cholmondeley. These veneers were incorporated under the sapphire case back. These artefacts were assured to be contemporary with the Battle of Trafalgar by the NHT as Bremont were raising money for the Victory restoration fund from the sales of the watches.

Since 1805 HMS Victory had undergone a quantity of restoration projects that had resulted in a lot of the original timbers being (sometimes badly) replaced. As the restoration work has continued sadly more and more rotting and damaged timber is still having to be replaced at enormous cost. Victory is still the flagship of the Royal Navy, and IMHO every penny of whatever it costs to save is well spent.

Bremont make some fantastic watches but obviously they rattle some people's cages, as do Rolex, Omega, Patek, Audemars etc etc. Luckily we all have freedom of speech and choice but I personally feel there are far more important things in our lives to get steamed up about than watches.

I sell Bremont. I was on HMS Victory for the launch of the watch which, as a nerd on the Napoleonic Wars (I choose to call myself that) was an experience in itself. To have lived and fought on board must have been hellish (a bit like posting on a Bremont thread!) but I can verify all that Bremont say about the watch as I had the privilege of a long chat with the Director of the Trust who told me all about their enjoyment of working with Bremont. But for Photobucket acting like complete a***s I would post some of the pictures I took that very wet evening.

Bremont are making some great watches - I have two that I treasure.

As you live in Cheshire perhaps you have visited Nantwich and have tried the watches for yourself - if not it would be great to meet you here for a coffee (that poison that we Rolex AD's are accused of serving ) and have a chat about Bremont, Rolex and anything else.

Give me a call.

David

There will come a time where 'nerds' recognition becomes more important, especially given the RRP.
    Really?! More important than the vast majority of watch buyers? I think you might be giving us more credit than we're due. It's a nice thought though that brands really care what we think.

Yes it's true, you can still see the what's left of the bit of timber they have, not sure if it's in Mayfair or Henley now. Same with the Codebreaker.

Bremont question

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Really?! More important than the vast majority of watch buyers? I think you might be giving us more credit than we're due. It's a nice thought though that brands really care what we think.
    Remember the debacle that followed Tag's so called in-house movement?

Remember the debacle that followed Tag's so called in-house movement?
    No 🤷🏻

No 🤷🏻
    You can do a search on calibre 1887. A good summary can be read here: http://www.europastar.com/magazine/h...ntroversy.html

What the summary doesn't show is the mayhem (big word admittedly, but in the softly spoken Swiss watch world it is what it was) once the first references to Seiko appeared on blogs and watch forums.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post

I like some of the watch designs but I feel their marketing / romantic story does raise some eyebrows
    It should be very very simple to track him down and confirm the story as any air crash must be reported, in this case to the BEA, to NOT do so is a serious criminal matter. The BEA records are all online. So either the story is a lie and never happened or...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ellomoto View Post
    It should be very very simple to track him down and confirm the story as any air crash must be reported, in this case to the BEA, to NOT do so is a serious criminal matter. The BEA records are all online. So either the story is a lie and never happened or...
    But was it a crash? I thought they made an emergency landing, rather than crashed.

Must emergency landings be reported to the BEA, do you know?

From https://www.bremont.com/about/values/heritage
    The Name Bremont

In the late 1990s, Nick & Giles were flying across France in their 1930's biplane. The weather was closing in. A rough-running engine forced them to make an emergency landing. Keen to avoid the French authorities, the brothers were more than happy to accept the gracious help of the farmer whose field they had landed in. They stayed in his home, the aircraft took cover in the barn. It transpired their host had flown aircraft during the war, as well as being a gifted engineer. Half-restored wall clocks lay everywhere, together with numerous engine parts. The farmer still even wore his own father's wristwatch. The brothers promised that his warm hospitality would never be forgotten. His name? Antoine Bremont.
    (Bold added by me)

P.S. The BEA's reports can be searched here: https://www.bea.aero/no_cache/en/inv...ssing-reports/

With the information above, one would probably need to search about 600-700 records to see if the English brothers' incident was listed.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 17th August 2017 at 23:47.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post

I would imagine people would have better things to do in life/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I would imagine people would have better things to do in life/
    If the proprietors of the company consider it worthwhile to make the claim, then it seems similarly worthwhile to want to check up on it, if a person wishes.

There may well be other things to do in life but humans can choose to do many things, and not every one of them has to be the best thing to do at any particular time, as arbitrary other people might define it.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 18th August 2017 at 00:00.

Tourby watches made a number of watches for some section of the US air force, if you go onto the Christopher Ward website they can put the insignia of a unit of whatever you like on the dial of one of their watches for a small fee over the price of the watch so long as you buy a certain number. A number of companies have made a hundred or so commissioned watches so in that respect Bremont are doing nothing unique. I guess its something that works both ways, a military has some nice watches to commemorate something and a watch company has a good advertising piece where it can reasonably say that their pilot watches are actually worn by pilots or divers watches worn by divers.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    That first bit isn't actually true.
    Breitling have been making unit-pride editions for various squadrons for decades.
    Really? I always thought that Breitling had an actual link to aviation, having supplied dashboard watches to planes in WW1. Furthermore I seem to remember that Chronomats were used by some USAF pilots during WW2 but I am on my phone and it makes searching more complicated. In other words, they were already associated with aviation when they offered their wares to squadrons, unlike B&R and Bremont.

Marketing is never truly factual. The whole idea is to paint your company and product in what you see as its best light, and that is never totally unbiased fact.
    Painting under the best light is fine. Deception is not.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Yes. It's not BS.

- if not it would be great to meet you here for a coffee (that poison that we Rolex AD's are accused of serving ) and have a chat about Bremont, Rolex and anything else.
    Hey David,

I don't object to serving coffee! I was merely drawing the connection between facilitating talking via coffee and via wooden propellers. I'm about Nantwich next week -- I might (if I may) take you up on the offer you extended elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    So people actually DO believe that story. Wow.
    Not true?

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Unlike the Omega - Bond thing.
    Imaginary link to special forces versus real link to imaginary service.

Really? I always thought that Breitling had an actual link to aviation, having supplied dashboard watches to planes in WW1. Furthermore I seem to remember that Chronomats were used by some USAF pilots during WW2 but I am on my phone and it makes searching more complicated. In other words, they were already associated with aviation when they offered their wares to squadrons, unlike B&R and Bremont.
    This page shows you all sorts of Breitling LEs with substantially less complication in the design than Bremont offer their mil customers, so yes, breitling have offered this service at a discount for a long time. Breitling do have an aviation history, undeniable. But they also do this.

Painting under the best light is fine. Deception is not.
    Agreed, 100%. I can think of one Bremont example of such deception, corrected within a day. It is not the only commpany to have made a false claim. And I am sure they will eventually make their own movements.

Dave

I am no fan of the Victory, Codebreaker or other pieces with a bit of something historically interesting in it but irrelevant to a watch. Certainly not worth the premium but some no doubt love the eccentricity. Unfortunately to some it undermines the brand credibility, which I can understand.

I also have never be won over by what I've seen in AD windows.

As for the military connection, I understand their marketing message clearly. They do work with them: a piece is commissioned by the unit or squadron project team. It is not made and offered in the hope they'll sign up to it. They are not issued, tested for or designed to be worn on deployment and I don't recall them claiming they are.

They are, in that guise, far more appealing than the Breitling offerings of the 90s which now look horribly dated.

Are they worth the price? No more or less than anything else in 4 figures.

As for the brothers, aviation fanatics who have started up a watch company I believe, so no surprise what they've focused on or what they decorate their office or shops with.

I've bought into it purely on the basis on one of their project models, which I'll see at their HQ this month. The fact that they work closely with the project team, visit units and also invite small groups to visit for 3 hours and learn and see is a great thing. The project models when done well lift pieces to a new level, and for those of us looking for something special, and if possible a personal connection, then these certainly hit the spot.

Master
    But, Bell & Ross did also supply watches to be issued, the Type Demineur was specifically designed for the french military bomb squad unit to their specs, then made available to the public.

This page shows you all sorts of Breitling LEs with substantially less complication in the design than Bremont offer their mil customers, so yes, breitling have offered this service at a discount for a long time. Breitling do have an aviation history, undeniable. But they also do this.
    That was my point. I do not contest that Breitling was doing it before but they have an aviation legitimacy. B&R was the first I can think of who made this link up.
    Having said that I have no problem with either brand doing whatever LE they want and selling them to whoever they want. I have a problem when they claim a non existing history of association.

Agreed, 100%. I can think of one Bremont example of such deception, corrected within a day. It is not the only commpany to have made a false claim. And I am sure they will eventually make their own movements.

Dave
    I am also reasonably convinced they will. I would like to meet Antoine Bremont, or see the royalties they are paying to his heirs.

Quote Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
    Hey David,

I don't object to serving coffee! I was merely drawing the connection between facilitating talking via coffee and via wooden propellers. I'm about Nantwich next week -- I might (if I may) take you up on the offer you extended elsewhere.

That would be great - we even have a Nespresso machine or instant - the choice is yours!

I'm not in on Monday but am around the rest of the week.

Look forward to it.

Master
    I would like to meet Antoine Bremont, or see the royalties they are paying to his heirs.
    Is he even real?

The whole back story, although might be true, just doesn't make sense.

Plane crash, father dies, son seriously injured decides to make watches, a year later same son with his brother emergency lands in a pea field, they're helped out by a farmer and name the watch brand after him.

Blog Entries
    we even have a Nespresso machine or instant - the choice is yours!
    I'm sorry to have to say this, but that's not a choice at all.

Is he even real?

The whole back story, although might be true, just doesn't make sense.

Plane crash, father dies, son seriously injured decides to make watches, a year later same son with his brother emergency lands in a pea field, they're helped out by a farmer and name the watch brand after him.
    Sounds more likely to be true than the stuff I've been reading in the Confessions thread recently....

That was my point. I do not contest that Breitling was doing it before but they have an aviation legitimacy. B&R was the first I can think of who made this link up.
    Having said that I have no problem with either brand doing whatever LE they want and selling them to whoever they want. I have a problem when they claim a non existing history of association.
    The English brothers have both flown planes of all decriptions since their teens, if not before. And their father before them.
    When you start a new company with a new name, and that company needs a combination of aesthetic and technical design, you look at design cues.
    They chose what they knew, and chose to link their company in real terms to the industry (MB and Boeing) as well as the aesthetic. And they supply various squadron watches.
    This is not made up, it is real aviation links.

As a new company started in an age where there is not one single issued mechanical watch left in the stores of all services worldwide, what choice do they have?

I cannot see why all this is being held against them as some kind of evidence of crimes against horology.
    Breilting's association is in name only, as the company was fished out of bankruptcy after all of its issued history was long past.
    One can argue the same of all Eddie's brands, Smiths, Precista, Sewills etc. All illustruous brands with history, but with no direct ownership link to that history.
    I have no problem with that at all. But it shows the link is not continuous.
    Bremont decided to come up with a new name, rather than fish a historical one out of the defunct names bin, and use that.
    Similarly, I have no problem with that.

[QUOTE=seffrican;4462315]I'm sorry to have to say this, but that's not a choice at all.

We also offer tap water, tea in at least 3 flavours, semi-skimmed milk and Champagne (if we've not drunk it all )

Oh and possibly a biscuit (if I've not eaten them all)

Eeee we know how to have a good time up north

The English brothers have both flown planes of all decriptions since their teens, if not before. And their father before them.
    When you start a new company with a new name, and that company needs a combination of aesthetic and technical design, you look at design cues.
    They chose what they knew, and chose to link their company in real terms to the industry (MB and Boeing) as well as the aesthetic. And they supply various squadron watches.

As a new company started in an age where there is not one single issued mechanical watch left in the stores of all services worldwide, what choice do they have?

I cannot see why all this is being held against them as some kind of evidence of crimes against horology.
    Breilting's association is in name only, as the company was fished out of bankruptcy after all of its issued history was long past.
    One can argue the same of all Eddie's brands, Smiths, Precista, Sewills etc. All illustruous brands with history, but with no direct ownership link to that history.
    Bremont decided to come up with a new name, rather than fish a historical one out of the defunct names bin, and use that.
    Spot on!

Master

Eeee we know how to have a good time up north
    Never mind all that. Have you got the blue S300 in stock?

Sums it up pretty well, but that doesn't matter to some. Haters gonna hate. Either way they seem to be proving the haters wrong so far. In terms of military connection I'd like to know which brands currently have a stronger connection to the military, I'm struggling to think. Check out the Bremont Military Instagram to see the connection Bremont has.

Banned
    Sums it up pretty well, but that doesn't matter to some. Haters gonna hate. Either way they seem to be proving the haters wrong so far. In terms of military connection I'd like to know which brands currently have a stronger connection to the military, I'm struggling to think. Check out the Bremont Military Instagram to see the connection Bremont has.
    It's not hate, it's discussion on a discussion forum. I think they have military interest solely as a sales aid, but often try to make more of it. I'd say Breitling have a much stronger connection.

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    It's not hate, it's discussion on a discussion forum. I think they have military interest solely as a sales aid, but often try to make more of it. I'd say Breitling have a much stronger connection.
    Given my post above, why?
    As a current company, Breitling has not supplied an issued watch, only "vanity pride" ones (not that I like the term). What is "much stronger" about that, when Bremont do exactly the same, and actually go to considerably longer lengths to customise their watches for the individual units than Breitling does.

So approximately equal performance gives Breitling a "much stronger connection", in your view.

This is the problem that dougair refers to (haters etc).
    Bremont do have a current to swim against for some members here.

Of course, no-one is expecting every one to fawn over everything that they do (and I don't, I think many of the public LE's with relics inside are unnecessary).

But a level playing field of attitude would be nice.

D

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Never mind all that. Have you got the blue S300 in stock?
    No Just sold it Rich

Will be getting another.

Have got the 301 in though if you fancy calling in for a glass of water.

Trust you are well

Master
    No Just sold it Rich

Will be getting another.

Have got the 301 in though if you fancy calling in for a glass of water.

Trust you are well
    It's a tempting offer...

Craftsman
    Totally agree with Dougair.

I'm very happy with my Bremonts, great quality and presence and a good company to deal with.

Master
    I still don't get the connection?

What connection, apart from selling some watches to companies, squadrons and other military types?

From history, Omega, Rolex, Breitling, Panerai, have all supplied military outfits equipment for use in the field.

That's where the difference lies.

Or put it this way, if a University Don commissions a watch with the University of Oxford crest printed on the dial, would that make Bremont (or any other brand for that matter) strongly connected to excellence in education?

Of course not.

Okay, don't get it.
    I have explained enough.
    None of the companies you mention currently offer a watch that is issued to the military.
    All of that is in the past.
    Let's leave it there
    D

Bremont question

The past is called history. Bremont, as a new company, doesn't have one. That is fine and more importantly it is their choice. Their marketing is woven into making you think they have one and it's associated with aviation. Good for them but I don't buy it and it is the reason I turned away from them.
    A Veyron may not have the racing pedigree its prestigious name suggests and Ettore is long dead yet the connection is there. Likewise for Panerai. Provided the new owners honour the name with their product the connection continues. I am not sure that will be the case for Breitling but it has been until now.

I still don't get the connection?

What connection, apart from selling some watches to companies, squadrons and other military types?

From history, Omega, Rolex, Breitling, Panerai, have all supplied military outfits equipment for use in the field.

That's where the difference lies.

Or put it this way, if a University Don commissions a watch with the University of Oxford crest printed on the dial, would that make Bremont (or any other brand for that matter) strongly connected to excellence in education?

Of course not.
    Either you don't want to see it or you don't care. All the detail about their connections are in this thread with over 2000 pics on Instagram dedicated to Bremont and their military connections. Perhaps you're defining connection as something else but personally I see a perfectly legitimate and strong connection. Why would so many units wear Bremonts if they (the miliatary) didn't feel some connection to the brand? I'm guessing all those units could have approached Breitling or B&R if they wanted?

Just because you don't see the connection doesn't mean it's not there. Go and talk to the military pilots that chose Bremont and ask them why.

They're not to everyone's taste and that's fine, but they do work closely with many military units, that's fact. They're not issued but who cares? Bremont don't say they are and many pilots seem to prefer their Bremont to whatever issued watch they've been given, there is no shortage of evidence of that.

None of those brands you mention supply the military now.

A connection to the military is completely seperate to issuing kit to them.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter if you see a connection or not, the military do, particularly pilots.

The past is called history. Bremont, as a new company, doesn't have one. That is fine and more importantly it is their choice. Their marketing is woven into making you think they have one and it's associated with aviation. Good for them but I don't buy it and it is the reason I turned away from them.
    A Veyron may not have the racing pedigree its prestigious name suggests and Ettore is long dead yet the connection is there. Likewise for Panerai. Provided the new owners honour the name with their product the connection continues. I am not sure that will be the case for Breitling but it has been until now.
    The brothers have a love of aviation and their own history with it, that is where their concept came from. Everyone has to start somewhere, I'd rather wear a Bremont than a Breitling, B&R or Panerai. The history of those brands means nothing to me. I also like supporting new brands particularly British ones in a market dominated by the Swiss.