closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bremont question

Master

Bremont question

Reading this on a website:
    "Kingsman is first and foremost British, which made Bremont watches the perfect fit. Their links to special forces around the world make them ideal for the modern spy" says director Mr Matthew Vaughn on his decision to collaborate with the iconic horology brand.
    So my first thought is Bremont is a French name although the brand is founded by English chaps.
    Also, what links do they have with special forces.

Bremont was the surname of a french chap that helped the brothers when they had to land a plane in a field.

They make many, many special versions of watches for various armed forces regiments

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post

So my first thought is Bremont is a French name although the brand is founded by English chaps.
    Lots of history available on t'internet. Bremont was the name of the French farmer into who's field the intrepid English Senior and 1 son, I believe, crashed their aeroplane.

They have been commissioned to make some of the units watched. Bit like Rolex, omega, Breitling and Bamford.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Two of the lads that work for me have the Royal Marines Supermarine 500 divers watch, them being ex RM.
    It's a lovely watch but not issued in the true sense being a private purchase item available after showing Bremont you service number and records.
    I had the opportunity to buy one with my grandfathers service number on but though better of it as it's a bit Walt.
    They also do lots of other unit colaberations that for the most part look great in my eyes.
    However without unit affiliation I am not sure why you would want one.

Blog Entries
    That's right and farmer Bremont helped them hide the plane until it was repaired. Apparently it was a criminal offence to crash land a plane!!! How that's an offence I'll never know - only the French 

It's a lovely story and the 2 lads of Mr English senior have taken the business on a fantastic journey. I read somewhere recently that they had secured some really good funding to move the business forward again (it may have been HSBC) but don't qoute me.

Brilliant story and brilliant brand 

Apprentice
    I'm sure you've already looked but there's a handful of military examples on their website. The director of Kingsman is possibly including Royal Marines in the term special forces, as they do in the states?

https://www.bremont.com/military-watches

I have friends with an Apache prototype and CH-47 variants and I wasn't that impressed in the flesh. The reason why I didn't pull the trigger on buying a couple that were relevant to me was the DLC on the Apache variant was already rubbing off (possibly as it was a prototype?) and when I was provided the link to place a deposit I realised just how many military variants are produced worldwide by Bremont. Also the fact that the watches in the very interesting London boutique just didn't 'speak' to me so I went for another brand instead, worth a visit if you're in the vicinity though.

All very personal I know but I just wasn't blown away by their range when actually on the wrist.

Apprentice
    An interesting bunch of people trying to 'bring back British watchmaking'. Good but 'of a type' watches. I like them, but am regretting my purchase due to a non-matching bracelet (I hate straps). My Alt1 is the most accurate watch I've ever owned losing only 0.1 spd! Most of their military stuff is related to pilots because they largely make pilot watches; I could have asked for something due to my service with R.E.M.E., but I think the corps has to arrange something with them and R.E.M.E. haven't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What links do they have with anything? the whole brand is marketing BS gone mad.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    What links do they have with anything? the whole brand is marketing BS gone mad.
    Their store in Royal Exchange is pretty peculiar with all the props which presumably are supposed to legitimise the brand somehow. The Omega boutique next door seem to do OK without such props. Neither do other big brands.

Apprentice

Bremont question

Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    Their store in Royal Exchange is pretty peculiar with all the props which presumably are supposed to legitimise the brand somehow.
    Or because they just look interesting.... Why does having a 'peculiar' boutique make them less 'legitimate' (whatever that's supposed to mean)? I go to an AD/boutique to look at their products -- if they have an interesting or quirky venue, then the more the better. (I know some Rolex ADs that offer coffee and play video clips of their movement/case development on concealed panels in the wall -- are these 'props'?)

The Bremont boys like to marry their love for flying with historic aircraft or interesting artefacts. That's ok in my book, seeing as Omega make their sea master dial look like waves because it's a 'master of the sea' and a diver's watch (Get it? How droll! Har Har, what a gimmick that is!)

All watchmakers have a thing; stop beating up on Bremont because the lads want to do things a bit differently. Now, have at it if you have movement, case, or design issues (and there are some, like why can't they produce a world traveller that has a quick set hour function instead of a quickset Zulu hand, or why can't they produce a 40mm GMT, or why can't they make a bracelet to match their cases? These criticisms are 'legitimate' (in the sense that they carry with them some substantiative critique)). But stop implying their claim to being a higher-end watchmaker is invalid because they have bits of an airplane in their boutique! Geez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by shedlock2000; 16th August 2017 at 23:55.

Given the OP is a member since 2010, has over 3,000 posts and amount of information available on the internet, it surely is a mischevious question:-)

Apprentice

So far as I can tell, and I'm no expert here, they have produced a special edition for the SAS (I believe Elliot Brown do one for the SBS). I am not familiar with any RAF special forces. They do a number of special editions for the 'special' Airforce personnel who operate certain bombers or other 'special operations' units (wrong service for me to weigh in on with any accuracy).

Regarding the movie, I think that, being a tongue-in-cheek spy movie, The movie needed a tricked-out watch, as Bond movies used to have. However, as the movie did not have a Bond-level budget and was not expected to be such a hit, they probably didn't have much persuasion with the big brands. Bremont saw a marketing opportunity and took it. (Curiously enough, the sequel is using a Tag smart watch. Quite reasonably, given that a tricked-out spy watch might reasonably be 'smart'. Disappointing for Nick and Giles though -- and Bremont fans that were looking forward to a second option in the Kingsmen line).

On that latter point, the 'Kingsman' watch was a modified version of their world timer. A nice watch with a modified but robust ETA movement in it. It suffers from poor lume due to reduced sized markers, non-lumed world time zones, a large case size, and a small and hard to find 24 hour hand. Otherwise, it's a pretty nice watch; I was hoping for a black dial stainless steel version, which I doubt to be forthcoming now.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
    Or because they just look interesting.... Why does having a 'peculiar' boutique make them less 'legitimate' (whatever that's supposed to mean)? I go to an AD/boutique to look at their products -- if they have an interesting or quirky venue, then the more the better.
    It's because unrelated props are typically used as filler aimed at uninitiated laymen.

They do a number of special editions for the 'special' Airforce personnel who operate certain bombers or other 'special operations' units (wrong service for me to weigh in on with any accuracy).
    Yay! I'm special!

This should be on its way to me soon. Can't wait to give that crystal a good licking :D

Master
    This is what I was thinking.

Given the OP is a member since 2010, has over 3,000 posts and amount of information available on the internet, it surely is a mischevious question:-)
    No it's a genuine question. I knew the story of the crashlanding in the field, hence I knew the reason for the French name. Thanks to the interweb. But I couldn't find anything about any forces let alone SF procuring watches from them. Do any of their watches match any military criteria?
    Point me in the right direction and I'd be happy to read it, I'm looking for that info so RAJEN please send me a link.

It does sound a bit 'pandering to the Walts', making a watch and calling it after some military icon or kit and then saying they have links with special forces.
    I like some of the watches hence doing the research, but it just stank a bit and I did look but couldn't find anything concrete. So RAJEN please do send me a link so I can give them the due respect.
    Here to be educated.

To be fair, most of their forces specific watches are only originally available to members of those units, or clearance divers, users of ejection seats etc. etc.
    It's just a matter of time...

No it's a genuine question. I knew the story of the crashlanding in the field, hence I knew the reason for the French name. Thanks to the interweb. But I couldn't find anything about any forces let alone SF procuring watches from them. Do any of their watches match any military criteria?
    Point me in the right direction and I'd be happy to read it, I'm looking for that info so RAJEN please send me a link.

It does sound a bit 'pandering to the Walts', making a watch and calling it after some military icon or kit and then saying they have links with special forces.
    I like some of the watches hence doing the research, but it just stank a bit and I did look but couldn't find anything concrete. So RAJEN please do send me a link so I can give them the due respect.
    Here to be educated.
    Are you looking to buy and if so, because of its real or imaginary relation with Special Forces OR because you like the watches? If it is the former, it is a rather lame reason to buy a watch and if it is the latter, it shouldn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Are you looking to buy and if so, because of its real or imaginary relation with Special Forces OR because you like the watches? If it is the former, it is a rather lame reason to buy a watch and if it is the latter, it shouldn't really matter.
    Well, the main reason I'm buying mine is because it is significantly cheaper than the RRP of the base model. The Tornado bit is nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Well, the main reason I'm buying mine is because it is significantly cheaper than the RRP of the base model. The Tornado bit is nice though.
    Some of the RRPs are somewhat ambitious and I wouldn't buy at those prices for sure.
    Yours looks like a lovely example.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    Unlike the Omega - Bond thing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    Bremont was the surname of a french chap that helped the brothers when they had to land a plane in a field.
    So people actually DO believe that story. Wow.

Given they only produce 10,000 watches a year either they are only producing very small numbers of these or the brand is must less popular with the general that you'd think.

I've owned a few Bremonts and I think they get too much of a hard time here. In my experience lovely watches, beautiful cases and very robust. Best as a pre-owned purchase as residuals aren't great. I would say Breitling level quality-wise.

Which reminds me - which one has a bit of an ejector seat in it? My Brother used to service them in the RAF and I said I'd keep my eye out for one.

Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Unlike the Omega - Bond thing.
    The thing about Omega and Bond is that we know Bond isn't a real thing and the collaborations are a bit of fun. Omega haven't built a brand around a connection with James Bond, the brand was already there.

Bremont though, that's a brand built purely on links with real units of HM Forces. Some of those links are tenuous collaborations and some are disingenuous at best and outright fabrication at worst.

The watches might be great quality, I've never held one and never seen anything that suggests they are anything less than well-made. Let's be honest though, there are plenty of nicely designed and constructed watches out there and Bremont's USP in the nicely designed and constructed sector seems to be its marketing BS gone mad. But hey, if it works it works, good luck to them.

Or because they just look interesting.... Why does having a 'peculiar' boutique make them less 'legitimate' (whatever that's supposed to mean)? I go to an AD/boutique to look at their products -- if they have an interesting or quirky venue, then the more the better. (I know some Rolex ADs that offer coffee and play video clips of their movement/case development on concealed panels in the wall -- are these 'props'?)
    He didn't say the props make the brand less legitimate, he said they fail to make the brand more legitimate, a subtle difference.

Regarding Rolex showing videos of their watches; do you really think that's the same thing as another brand displaying random bits of planes?

Here to be educated.
    Check out https://www.instagram.com/bremontmilitary/?hl=en

Their links with the military are pretty clear.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Some of the RRPs are somewhat ambitious and I wouldn't buy at those prices for sure.
    Yours looks like a lovely example.
    Ambitious in what sense given that they are obviously selling at that price?

Master
    Having previously owned a Bremont and not being averse to another I'm still not sure what some people have against them. Yes, they are now a bit expensive, but so are a lot of watches these days. My take on the military connections is that it's relatively easy for Bremont to tweak an existing watch (usually the dial) for limited number releases. This appeals to some people who like to feel a member of a club, having something only they can own. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a brand built "purely on links with real units of HM Forces". It just so happpens that there is a proportion of the armed forces that like watches, fancy something in keeping with their occupation (functional, robust) and Bremont fits the bill. Pretty sure Breitling have done the same in the past, but maybe they're a bit too expensive to be accessible and clearly much less "British".

Ant

The links that Bremont have made with the military are pretty extensive (at least 100 watches so far, I've been told). They certainly *appear* to have stolen a march on the previous incumbent in that space. https://www.bremont.com/military-watches gives a decent overview. During their stint in London in February, the chap who heads up the military liaison (himself an ex-flyer) was downstairs surrounded by almost a hundred different dials. It's impressive stuff, sold directly to the military at reduced prices (as mentioned above). But as these are *only* available to members / ex-members of those units, few of us tend to get to see them. It was certainly interesting to spend some time with them discussing military watches; perhaps strangely, many are far more *ornate* than the civilian versions, but then again, the military has never really shied away from dressy objects and uniforms. If you get a chance to look at some of these dials in one of their boutiques, you might be surprised. It's a bit geeky, but quite fun to try and spot the subtle / not-so-subtle elements that link the dials specifically to a particular unit.

Apprentice

Bremont question

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    He didn't say the props make the brand less legitimate, he said they fail to make the brand more legitimate, a subtle difference.
    Agreed -- but intimated in his entire post was that the brand wasn't legitimate (again, I'm still not sure what he means by this). I was referring to the tenor of his entire post.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Regarding Rolex showing videos of their watches; do you really think that's the same thing as another brand displaying random bits of planes?
    Absolutely! The poster was talking about 'props'; things which supplement in some way the selling of the watch itself. While we might reasonably rule out chairs, lights, counters, and the like, decor and other things seem to be up for critique. I've also seen high-end divers in tanks of water in ADs -- when the Alaska Project was a thing, the display case came with 'props' (at least in Calgary), which had some sort of dry ice thing going on while the display featured models of the moon and the spacecraft used for the mission.

I'm also trying to point out the ridiculousness of the claim that 'props' have anything to do with adding or subtracting legitimacy. Bremont do it because the boys are into flying, they make pilot watches, and props are interesting conversational piece's for some people who also enjoy these things and have a shared interest. It's just a different way of doing things. It doesn't interest me, as I'm not interested in fixed wing stuff -- but I can see it interesting some of their clients.

Last edited by shedlock2000; 17th August 2017 at 08:31.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Yay! I'm special!

This should be on its way to me soon. Can't wait to give that crystal a good licking :D

Haha!! Enjoy in good health, Friend!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    It's because unrelated props are typically used as filler aimed at uninitiated laymen.
    Sorry, I remain unconvinced. Decor is just decor to me -- regardless of its species.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Check out https://www.instagram.com/bremontmilitary/?hl=en

Their links with the military are pretty clear.
    Commissioned, not issued, that's the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Which reminds me - which one has a bit of an ejector seat in it? My Brother used to service them in the RAF and I said I'd keep my eye out for one.
    The Martin Baker series were designed with the help of Martin Baker ejector seats. If your brother can prove be used a seat in "anger" he can get an MB with a red surround.

Sent from TZ-UK app on Android

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Commissioned, not issued, that's the difference.
    No one ever said they were issued 🙄

How does that change the strong military connection?

Banned
    No one ever said they were issued 

The difference is perhaps they developed the connection to make money?

Master
    I like some of the watches and had some respect for the lads building a brand from nothing, first saw them at an air tattoo in 2010 but was pretty stunned at the prices for what they are.

Not currently looking to buy one and I must admit it does put me off when a company is marketing something with BS. I wouldn't want to be in that 'Oh you bought a Bremont did you' bracket a few years down the line.

This is the link somebody gave off their website which is supposed to prove their links with SF:
    Constructed to withstand the rigors of high altitude or undersea depths, our military watches adorn the wrists of combat personnel worldwide. Working closely with elite military units from all over the globe, we provide bespoke watches to match their needs, all based on models from our core collection.

Working in line with Bremont’s core principles, the Bremont Military and Special Projects Division create exclusive bespoke watches for military personnel and also specialized communities and private organisations and corporations.

If your organisation or military community are interested in talking to Bremont with the possibility of creating something unique or wish to find out if we already have an existing project, please email us today at military@bremont.com or specialprojects@bremont.com
    I think the most telling line in that is "all based on models from our core collection."
    So it's basically just a company that can produce a military style watch with some adaptation to suit what they want to acheive. Never been issued to the MOD though or even conform to a military spec?
    Any watch company could do that couldn't they? Instead of resting on the quality of the watch they seem to be trying to engeandour some form of false pride in purchasing their watches.
    Why not just sell them on their own merits like Eddie does.
    Not trying to bash Bremont but don't like this Waltish type advertising.
    Chase Durer are another one.
    They have loads of SF, UDT, Bomber Command, Fighter Command watches etc etc.
    http://www.chase-durer.com/home.aspx
    Last edited by K300; 17th August 2017 at 09:39.

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    Why else would they do it?

And?

Banned
    And?
    And it shows they continue to 'exploit'. Manufacturers of military issued watches tend to develop according to the needs of the wearers. Bremont and a corny military 'angle' and market them with the sole intention of cashing in on that. If it works for you, great, but to me they're just another Christopher Ward and I expect they will no longer be a manufacturer* in five to ten years.

*ah, actually, I don't think they are, but need to search some of the threads discussing their lies.

I like some of the watches and had some respect for the lads building a brand from nothing, first saw them at an air tattoo in 2010 but was pretty stunned at the prices for what they are.

Not currently looking to buy one and I must admit it does put me off when a company is marketing something with BS. I wouldn't want to be in that 'Oh you bought a Bremont did you' bracket a few years down the line.

This is the link somebody gave off their website which is supposed to prove their links with SF:

I think the most telling line in that is "all based on models from our core collection."
    So it's basically just a company that can produce a military style watch with some adaptation to suit what they want to acheive. Never been issued to the MOD though or even conform to a military spec?
    Any watch company could do that couldn't they? Instead of resting on the quality of the watch they seem to be trying to engeandour some form of false pride in purchasing their watches.
    Why not just sell them on their own merits like Eddie does.
    Not trying to bash Bremont but don't like this Waltish type advertising.
    Chase Durer are another one.
    They have loads of SF, UDT, Bomber Command, Fighter Command watches etc etc.
    http://www.chase-durer.com/home.aspx
    🙄 They sell quite well to the military, I guess that's all that matters. The military seem to think they're worth buying. Plenty of military pilots use them over their issued watches in the cockpit.

Funnily enough their whole point is to sell watches, which they do pretty well, and the use whatever marketing furthers that goal...like all companies. Call it what you like but in terms of branding they've done a pretty good job.

Obviously they haven't 'earned' it in the eyes of a few nerds on an Internet forum, I suspect they don't lose a lot of sleep over that.

It always amuses me how these threads go, no love for a British brand trying to make its place in the watch industry. Overpriced? Of course they are, as are Breitling, IWC, Omega, Rolex, Patek, AP! I wouldn't pay RRP but I wouldn't for any brands.

And it shows they continue to 'exploit'. Manufacturers of military issued watches tend to develop according to the needs of the wearers. Bremont and a corny military 'angle' and market them with the sole intention of cashing in on that. If it works for you, great, but to me they're just another Christopher Ward and I expect they will no longer be a manufacturer* in five to ten years.

*ah, actually, I don't think they are, but need to search some of the threads discussing their lies.
    Are in the military, do you chose to wear a bremont over your issued watch? A lot of military pilots do. I think you underestimate the strength of the brand and their growth across the world. If you don't like them that's fine, they're not for everyone. The military seem quite happy to wear them in the cockpit so I wouldn't say the connection is corny.

Banned
    Are in the military, do you chose to wear a bremont over your issued watch? A lot of military pilots do. I think you underestimate the strength of the brand and their growth across the world. If you don't like them that's fine, they're not for everyone. The military seem quite happy to wear them in the cockpit so I wouldn't say the connection is corny.
    I didn't say I don't like them. I simply consider they exploit a connection. Some are taken in by that and have to say, it's excellent marketing.

Who doesn't like a limited edition? Leaving the military with an issued watch is theft, so why not have another memento? Some call it niche, I call it corny.

Craftsman
    I think you have to applaud what they have achieved as a new brand. There have been some missteps, the in-house debacle was a low point, but I think you're going to find that with any new business

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    None of them. All is not lost however - I can commission a one-off Vostok for him with a genuine bit of Martin Baker ejection seat jammed inside it. It'll have to be something small like a washer or tiny screw though. Lets call it two hundred, no... five hundred pounds. I'm the same trade as your brother - I wonder if I know him?

Master
    No one ever said they were issued 

There's no military connection other than they sold them some watches, that's it. But if you read their BS marketing it can be read as if they actually have something to do with the military, as if their watches were military kit. Which of course reads better than we sold some watches to some squadies at a discount.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    There's no military connection other than they sold them some watches, that's it. But if you read their BS marketing it can be read as if they actually have something to do with the military, as if their watches were military kit. Which of course reads better than we sold some watches to some squadies at a discount.
    😂😂 Ok 👍🏻

Master
     They sell quite well to the military, I guess that's all that matters. The military seem to think they're worth buying. Plenty of military pilots use them over their issued watches in the cockpit.

Funnily enough their whole point is to sell watches, which they do pretty well, and the use whatever marketing furthers that goal...like all companies. Call it what you like but in terms of branding they've done a pretty good job.

Obviously they haven't 'earned' it in the eyes of a few nerds on an Internet forum, I suspect they don't lose a lot of sleep over that.

It always amuses me how these threads go, no love for a British brand trying to make its place in the watch industry. Overpriced? Of course they are, as are Breitling, IWC, Omega, Rolex, Patek, AP! I wouldn't pay RRP but I wouldn't for any brands.
    You're missing the point.
    Bremont = we have strong military connections, history, blah, blah, blah. as their marketing goes.
    NO
    Reality= Bremont sold some watches to customers, who just happen to be in the military.

There is a difference, but you can't see it, then their marketing person needs a raise, as their campaign worked