closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurghada, how safe?

Hurghada, how safe?

I've always fancied a Nile cruise to visit the historic sites but the one I am looking at has a week in Hurghada as well.

How safe is it?

Any recent experience?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I've been, just before the 'troubles' lovely place, you might struggle getting direct flights to Egypt though.
    Cheers..
    Jase

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.e...day-resort/amp

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

Each to their own but I wouldn't be willing to take the risk, but then with a young family my risk tolarance is very very low.

You could go and have no trouble or you could get stabbed on the beach...you roll the dice and take your chances.

Westerners in this part of the world do tend to stick out like a sore thumb!
    Last edited by dougair; 16th August 2017 at 13:51.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.e...day-resort/amp

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

Each to their own but I wouldn't be willing to take the risk, but then with a young family my risk tolarance is very very low.

You could go and have no trouble or you could get stabbed on the beach...you roll the dice and take your chances.

Thanks for that Doug.

It's only me and the Mrs but Egypt is out of the equation now.

Back to my son's in Florida again I expect.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Thanks for that Doug.

It's only me and the Mrs but Egypt is out of the equation now.

Back to my son's in Florida again I expect.
    Probably wise, holidays are supposed to be relaxing and I think I'd be on edge the whole time!

Craftsman
    I thought it was meh. Wife loathed it. So, never again.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf View Post
    I thought it was meh. Wife loathed it. So, never again.
    It was actually the historic sites I wanted to see. I don't think they can be classed as meh.

Hurghada, or any resort really has no interest to me, it's just that it was tagged on the trip.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Hurghada is a bit of a hole (think Club 18-30), however to the south are some very nice and very secure gated resorts.

We stayed at the Royal Palace and it was great for a week. There are a few other really nice hotels within the same complex. The diving was also excellent.

The downside (sounds a bit racist I know) was the number of Russians, most of whom don't really get the concept of good manners, but we found the same Cyprus last year as well.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Hurghada is a bit of a hole (think Club 18-30), however to the south are some very nice and very secure gated resorts.

We stayed at the Royal Palace and it was great for a week. There are a few other really nice hotels within the same complex. The diving was also excellent.

The downside (sounds a bit racist I know) was the number of Russians, most of whom don't really get the concept of good manners, but we found the same Cyprus last year as well.
    Very true, I should have qualified my post with this being the reason we went.
    ( I agree about the Russians too! )

Hello

Personally I wouldn't but each to his/her own.

Try Croatia, it's absolutely beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I've been, just before the 'troubles' lovely place, you might struggle getting direct flights to Egypt though.
    There's plenty of flights to tourist resorts along the Red Sea (including Hurghada), it's Sharm el Sheik that our government seems to have an issue with (yet many other European govenment's don't)

There's no reason to expect you'd get stabbed on the beaches of Hurghada than most other beaches and foreigners (not just westerners) stick out because it's a tourist resort...

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Personally I wouldn't but each to his/her own.
    I would - and without hesitation - but yes, each to their own.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

There's no reason to expect you'd get stabbed on the beaches of Hurghada
    Tell that to the two German tourists and their families. I find it more relaxing when I don't have to think about whether something might happen, which is why there is a long list of places I'd rather not go...there's plenty of choice in the world...plus I have no interest in resorts.

Craftsman
    I am intending to go back to Sharm this Autumn for 2-3 weeks, with tourist numbers down the dive sites are reported to be stunning with many of the larger fish returning. I have been diving in the Red Sea since 1993.

Let's not beat about the bush, if I didn't scuba dive I wouldn't go to Eqypt (beach resorts), there is basically nothing there, they are completely artificial. The combination of Muslim and Arab is particularly nasty, the Egyptians are generally horrible people, there are very few exceptions.

I put up with the Egyptians because the diving can be so good.
    All this Arab Spring nonsense, people were so naive thinking Democracy would ever survive with people that are so selfish. The Russians, I like the Russians they like to shout at the Egyptians and take no nonsense or excuses and the Egyptians generally need shouting at as they are bone idle!

My strong opinions honestly given.

Calesh! Calesh!

Tell that to the two German tourists and their families. I find it more relaxing when I don't have to think about whether something might happen, which is why there is a long list of places I'd rather not go...there's plenty of choice in the world...plus I have no interest in resorts.
    In which case are London, Manchester and everywhere else that there has been an attack on your list then?

PS I have no interest in resorts either, fwiw.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Hello

But Ralphy the difference is in the response to the incident and also the preventative measures in place.

The UK is in a far better position than Egypt/Kenya etc.

Craftsman
    It was actually the historic sites I wanted to see. I don't think they can be classed as meh.

Hurghada, or any resort really has no interest to me, it's just that it was tagged on the trip.
    To be fair, we stayed at a place called El Gouna and specifically the Movenpick resort which was, well, mostly ok in a 3 starrish sort of way. But we had to spend some time in Hurghada - enough time to get a good look at it. This was about 10 years ago. My best description of it? Shithole.

Quite obviously the historic sites aren't the same as downtown Hurghada.
    Last edited by wolf; 17th August 2017 at 10:51.

Craftsman
    We went in November last year & March this year as Sharm is a no go. Never had any issues with the Egyptians in the hotels or outside in the 12 years we have been going. Its was very quiet the last trips as the Russians weren't allowed to fly there. We use it as an excuse to wind down and get a bit of Winter sun, its not for everyone but you do get a lot for your cash.
    Not much in Hurgharda itself, but we are booked again for November and March next year.

In which case are London, Manchester and everywhere else that there has been an attack on your list then?

PS I have no interest in resorts either, fwiw.

R
    I live in London, when I go on holiday I don't want to be worrying about it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post

We went a few years ago and the Russsians then could give us all lessons in bolshiness and general all round tackiness . Got the obligatory stomach bug so that spoils things further lol
    It's not a place I would go back to again and her indoors won't entertain it full stop

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 15th September 2017 at 03:56.

Blog Entries
    Egypt is a place I would love to see, sadly it is a place I would not want to be! The country is not the problem, it is the inhabitants! I was amused by the earlier comment about Russians kicking idle Egyptian arses, that definitely had a ring of logic and truth about it although the Russkies should be careful about the knives the locals tend to carry in the folds of their walking about kit! Would I rather holiday in a Egyptian resort or be branded on the arse with a glowing Texas iron? Mmmm, difficult one that! I guess the Egyptians are not over fussed that I will not be visiting and will be able to hide their disappointment.

p.s. Doubtless certain members will be 'offended' by my non PC comments about Egyptians, if you are so offended I apolo...... Zzzzzz!
    Last edited by KavKav; 17th August 2017 at 08:53.

I went once, saw quite a lot of Egypt too. I agree with KavKav. I'd rather stay at home and wash my plums with a brillo pad and pickling vinegar than go back there - but agree it says more for the natives than the Country.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very glad I went over 10 yrs ago but only because the sites are truly amazing and worth seeing.

I can't say the same for the people I met along the way unfortunately and my wife (who went before we met) would never return for this reason also.

The current situation only adds to the woes. If it improves and becomes acceptable risk to go there, I still would always go with a highly reputable and organised tour company and never wander any town without 2 or 3 people for company. Contrary to how I would approach most countries, just see the sights and stay with your fellow travellers.
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 17th August 2017 at 09:34.

Been to Egypt 3 times, 2008-2010, 2009 was a cheap and cheerful post wedding all inclusive where we stayed in resort in Sharm the whole week, the other 2 of those on Red Sea cruises

Loved it, got to see so much, Pyramids both day and night, Cairo museum, Valley of the kings, Karnak, Petra (OK that's Jordan), Wadi Rum jeep safari (Jordan again), went quad biking in the desert, star gazing, snorkelling etc etc.

Fantastic trips, but feel i've done Egypt now and don't feel the need to go back, which is good because there's no bloomin way i'd go in the current climate.

Craftsman
    I was there with the other half three years ago, the hotel we stayed in was fantastic and pretty much a gated type complex. It had roof top bars/restaurants, on site 'nightclub' which was reall y just a late bar, quiet bar, pool hall etc.

We did venture out to Hurghada town one evening as we were sick of the food in the hotel (which was pretty rubbish to be honest but typical of an Egyptian hotel by the sounds of it), to cut it short it was a shit hole. Certainly not a nice holiday walk, people hanging round shouting stuff, employees trying to drag us in every shop imaginable and when we refused then were very rude/aggressive. We walked to the hard rock for a bite to eat and a drink then went back, remainder of the holiday was spent in the hotel complex.

Wouldn't go again but it was a lot of hotel for the money so if your on a tight budget you probably wouldn't get much better.
    This was our hotel:

Wow!

Thanks for all the insight.

Showed the Mrs, she wasn't that impressed to begin with and that put the tin lid on it.

I definitely will visit Egypt in the future when the situation improves (if it ever does) as I am interested in the artefacts but nothing more.

Probably back to my son's in Fla and another trip to the KSC but at least the beaches are safe (apart from the sharks) and we feel at home there.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

How about Tunisia or Libya?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Analogue View Post
    I assume you wear a "tool" watch when you are diving there?
    Don't wear a watch diving sunshine, I wear a dive computer.

Let's see some photos of your "tool" watches as you appear to be an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    I am intending to go back to Sharm this Autumn for 2-3 weeks, with tourist numbers down the dive sites are reported to be stunning with many of the larger fish returning. I have been diving in the Red Sea since 1993.

Let's not beat about the bush, if I didn't scuba dive I wouldn't go to Eqypt (beach resorts), there is basically nothing there, they are completely artificial. The combination of Muslim and Arab is particularly nasty, the Egyptians are generally horrible people, there are very few exceptions.

I put up with the Egyptians because the diving can be so good.
    All this Arab Spring nonsense, people were so naive thinking Democracy would ever survive with people that are so selfish. The Russians, I like the Russians they like to shout at the Egyptians and take no nonsense or excuses and the Egyptians generally need shouting at as they are bone idle!

My strong opinions honestly given.
    Here's my opinion honestly given: you're a particularly unpleasant bigot.

R

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    How about Tunisia or Libya?
    Been to Tunisia in the past and it was always friendly but never Libya.

Some great Roman remains in Tunisia (El Djem) and my interest in ancient stuff is the only reason I would visit Egypt TBH.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Just come back from there, great base for touring , nice harbour with decent restaurants. Google Sahl hasheesh for a place to stay.

The Egyptian people I found to be very kind and friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerUK View Post
    Don't wear a watch diving sunshine, I wear a dive computer.
    Two?

M.

Quote Originally Posted by wellsy View Post
    Just come back from there, great base for touring , nice harbour with decent restaurants. Google Sahl hasheesh for a place to stay.

The Egyptian people I found to be very kind and friendly.

That the gated location we stayed at twice. I very much enjoyed it and found it 100% better that Sharm (which I thought was a hole). Very safe.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Went to Hurghada three years back, stayed outside the town, in one of the new, gated resorts called Makadi Bay (just past the decrepit Dolphinarium on the road to Safaga). A week on the coast and a week on the Nile. Full board. Incredible value.

The hotel was 5* and generally pretty good. Varied eating, decent pool, relatively good levels of cleanliness, the beach was pretty poor. Diving was okay, and on site. Had a day trip to Hurghada itself, where the diving was about the same, but there was a young whale shark at the surface which was wonderful, and prompted us to go to Djibouti the following year to see them properly.

The Nile Cruise was surreal. We were told that there were under a dozen boats operating (instead of the "normal" 100+) so the locals were desperate for business. The sites were therefore largely empty (which is great as a tourist), and we never felt in any danger. Similar number of road blocks as the Sinai Peninsula, I'd say (based on previous visits).

I'd go back in an instant.

Off to Sulawesi and Halmahera next, flying Malaysian. Which probably tells you all you need to know about my risk appetite.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Two?

M.
    Strangely enough yes, my main Suunto and an old Aladdin Pro Blue Nitrox as backup being risk averse.
    I am not too keen on having anything shiny in my kit including a watch for the sun to glint off of in tropical waters.

But these days my technical diving days are behind me, in reality I could dive without a computer or watch as I rarely go below 20 metres and I would run out of air long before the 45 min NDL.

I was in Hurghada around 14 years ago and stayed at the hotel where the stabbing took place.

Hurghada was shady as hell even back then with machine gun posts and armed guards everywhere for the protection of the tourists.
    I flew to Cairo and did the armed bus tour to see Cairo and the pyramids and a week after I left there was a grenade attack on a tourist bus.

The poverty levels are high.

I was in Sharm El Sheikh staying in the Savoy two weeks before the Russian plane was bombed and Soho square is just one big military complex with checkpoints, guards, machine guns. They are constantly patrolling the hotels and bars with sniffer dogs looking for bombs, and for good reason.

I won't be going back, and as much as a tour of the Nile would be amazing I wouldn't fancy having to be looking over my shoulder all of the time or wonder if our armed tour guide Mohammed is going to go Allah Snackbar with his H&K MP5.

It has great history and has some great people, but there is also plenty of people who seriously hate us and would be quite happy to beat us to death with a stick.

Although if I really wanted to go and it was on my bucket list and your spouse knew the risks and doesn't care then I would still go.

The chances are you will have a great time, meet great people and have no trouble whatsoever.

If it is your dream to see the Nile then just go, I would.

If it is a choice between there and somewhere else and you aren't bothered then i'd go somewhere else.

So to reiterate.. just go.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Off to Sulawesi and Halmahera next, flying Malaysian. Which probably tells you all you need to know about my risk appetite.
    Enjoy.

My October trip includes Egypt, Sudan and Eritrea (so you can imagine the carriers involved). I'll be wearing a Rolex - but leaving the box and papers papers at home, just to be on the safe side.

R

Enjoy.

My October trip includes Egypt, Sudan and Eritrea (so you can imagine the carriers involved). I'll be wearing a Rolex - but leaving the box and papers papers at home, just to be on the safe side.

R
    Sounds fantastic. I'm probably just going with the Baby Tuna. Saves on a kilo on integrated weight. Probably.
    Last edited by Broussard; 22nd August 2017 at 10:02. Reason: Spelling

Thing is these days nowhere is completely safe so I reckon it comes down to your personal attitude to risk, assessment of the local situation and how strongly you need or want to go. Oh and whether it's for just touristic type reasons OR there's a financial motivation.

Personally having spent a fair bit of time in Israel and Sinai in my 20's, didn't like Sharm back then either, I have no reason compelling enough to return to the region at this stage.

Good luck.

Funnily enough a friend of mine was talking about going to Egypt at the weekend.

She used to live there and wants to visit friends in Cairo and Alexandria before going on to do some diving in Hurgada or Marsa Alam.

Her view was that nowhere is totally safe, but these places are not really any more dangerous than most if you're sensible.

Her husband is worried about going somewhere 'dangerous' - Clearly he doesn't watch the news!

M.

PS Sharm's not great unless you want to fry by a pool on a budget or dive - It is great for either of those!

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Funnily enough a friend of mine was talking about going to Egypt at the weekend.

She used to live there and wants to visit friends in Cairo and Alexandria before going on to do some diving in Hurgada or Marsa Alam.
    FWIW, I'd recommend Marsa Alam over Hurghada for both above and below the water.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Personally having spent a fair bit of time in Israel and Sinai in my 20's, didn't like Sharm back then either...
    Depending on how long ago your 20's were I think you'd be quite surprised what Sharm is like nowadays. Other than using it's airport for transfers (or joining a client on his boat off Sharks Bay) I avoid it.

R

Went to Egypt a 8 years ago. We were in Cairo for a night, Luxor for 3 , Hurghada for 3 and finally finishing in Sharm El Shaikh.

I thought Sharm was the best of the lot- and that's saying something in itself.

Have to say I hated the place. It grew very tiresome very quickly with getting ripped off every time you went outside. Every Taxi ride- became a battle of wits . Drivers would a agree a price then demand more, pretend they were lost and ask for more money to take you where you wanted to go. tourist spots.-Even buying tickets the sellers would ask for "bakshish" (bribe).

I've travelled extensively, have visited many poor and third world countries too but nothing left me feeling drained like Egypt.

I would never go again. A country that thrives on tourism shouldn't treat it's tourists like it does.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Went to Egypt a 8 years ago. We were in Cairo for a night, Luxor for 3 , Hurghada for 3 and finally finishing in Sharm El Shaikh.

Have to say I hated the place. It grew very tiresome very quickly with getting ripped off every time you went outside. Every Taxi ride- became a battle of wits . Drivers would a agree a price then demand more, pretend they were lost and ask for more money to take you where you wanted to go. tourist spots.-Even buying tickets the sellers would ask for "bakshish" (bribe).

I've travelled extensively, have visited many poor and third world countries too but nothing left me feeling drained like Egypt.

I would never go again. A country that thrives on tourism shouldn't treat it's tourists like it does.
    Actually my son said very similar, about being virtually dragged into shops etc etc. I've had similar in Tunisia and Morocco. It is hard work.

TBH If it wasn't for the antiquities Egypt wouldn't cross my mind as a destination.

Funnily enough, whilst rooting through my cupboard I found some old coloured postcards in my collection from when my Grandad was there pre war.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post

It hasn't changed and a fair summary.

Actually my son said very similar, about being virtually dragged into shops etc etc. I've had similar in Tunisia and Morocco. It is hard work.

TBH If it wasn't for the antiquities Egypt wouldn't cross my mind as a destination.

Funnily enough, whilst rooting through my cupboard I found some old coloured postcards in my collection from when my Grandad was there pre war.
    Incidentally I went to Morocco a fortnight after returning from Egypt. Egypt was with the boys and Morocco was with the now wife. I was so rubbed up the wrong way I was super defensive /cautious/ untrusting of anyone /retailer/service provider outside the hotel. My wife thought I was really odd but 10 days of Egypt does that to you.

Morocco in comparison is 1/10th as bad as the hustles/scams/bribes and general crap you have to deal with in Egypt. I know I sound very negative of Egypt but I really did not enjoy the place. Even the 5 star hotel staff would be in on scams in Egypt. Eg order you a taxi and the taxi price is bumped up already to give a back hand to hotel staff. Hotel staff negotiate a rate including toll gate , then the taxi driver says they didn't etc.

There issues is when you're on holiday you use taxis several times a day , and every journey becomes a chore. Oddly that's the only reason why I liked Sharm- because I didn't have to leave the place!
    Last edited by eagletower; 23rd August 2017 at 09:27.

I went on a trip to Eilat in 1986 and a day trip from there into Egyptian territory to go snorkelling at a well known spot leaves a memory.
    Into Egyptian waters and the gunboat rocks up, across the gunwhale steps the ray-ban wearing official who demands to see all passports- luckily had ours, but those who didn't were told that if they didn't pay "fish tax" then the whole excursion would be turned back- cash of course.
    We had no further problems but I vowed then never to return to Egypt- if that's limited my horizons ,so be it- I'll look at the pyramids on TV thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I went on a trip to Eilat in 1986 and a day trip from there into Egyptian territory to go snorkelling at a well known spot leaves a memory.
    Into Egyptian waters and the gunboat rocks up, across the gunwhale steps the ray-ban wearing official who demands to see all passports- luckily had ours, but those who didn't were told that if they didn't pay "fish tax" then the whole excursion would be turned back- cash of course.
    We had no further problems but I vowed then never to return to Egypt- if that's limited my horizons ,so be it- I'll look at the pyramids on TV thanks.
    FWIW, I think you'll have been in the Ras Mohamed National Park, which does require a visa to enter - and the visa is attached to your passport at the airport.

R