closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand seiko link question???

Grand seiko link question???

Due to my 'porky wrist syndrome' :@( I need an extra link for my SBGA029. Sorry no pic's but it's a basic 'oyster' type link with thin polished borders running along both outside edges of the centre link), it's a pin and collar arrangement and a bit of a pain to adjust but that's what GS likes so that's what GS gives you.
    I just wondered if any of the Seiko gurus on here had added/substituted a non 'GS' link into one of their bracelets or if a 'normal' Seiko used the same links as mine? The Seiko service centre wants to charge me £215 for a spare link -and I have to send them in the watch for it to be fitted- so that ain't happening any time soon.
    Your help would be much appreciated .
    Cheers
    Joe
    Last edited by Joe.K; 15th August 2017 at 16:43.

I'm sure you could pick one up from another part of the world for a damn site less than 200 nicker plus.
    I'd be exploring that avenue in the smallest details.

I needed just such a GS link. I paid Jura in Leeds 70-something quid and the nice young chap behind the counter even fitted it for me.

Joe, I bought mine from Peplows, cost about 80 quid a year ago - I just told them the model of the watch and that was sufficient for them to order. They did tell me that if the watch was bought from a UK AD Seiko would supply a free link.
    Keith
    btw Jura was more expensive..what a surprise

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe.K View Post
    The Seiko service centre wants to charge me £215 for a spare link
    Interestingly, the Seiko service centre never used to supply to the public at all. They always recommended buying from KKH Services, http://www.kkhservices.co.uk/.

It would be interesting to see what KKH charge compared to Seiko UK.

I did try to order one --admittedly by phone- from the new London boutique but they told me to order it from Maidenhead direct. in fact the first price I was quoted was £330 😱 which caused me to phone again later just to find out if I was imagining things...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

When I thought I needed a link for a quartz grand Seiko a few years ago I rang Seiko UK and they told me if I sent them the watch they would fit one for free so I wonder if there's been a change of policy? I've been dealing with them recently regarding a replacement dial and it's like hitting your head against a brick wall, takes them days to reply to an email and it's a different person every time. £220 odd for a link is extracting the urine somewhat!

Blog Entries
    I did try to order one --admittedly by phone- from the new London boutique but they told me to order it from Maidenhead direct. in fact the first price I was quoted was £330  which caused me to phone again later just to find out if I was imagining things...
    Good grief.

Just call Josh at Jura in Leeds- very helpful.

Thanks guys I will give KKH and Jura a call tomorrow to see if they can help.

If you live near to Maidenhead or it's convenient for you to get there, ordering a link directly from Seiko UK will be the cheapest option. The only catch is that they won't post parts to you and you will have to send your watch to them or visit in person for fitting.

I ordered an entire GS bracelet, one of the five row type, and it was under £750 from Seiko UK.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    If you live near to Maidenhead or it's convenient for you to get there, ordering a link directly from Seiko UK will be the cheapest option.
    The OP said that it was the "Seiko service centre", presumably Seiko UK, who wanted £215 for the link!

It's true, it was indeed the service center that quoted me that price ( although the woman I spoke to was obviously embarrassed by the price).

I did try to order one --admittedly by phone- from the new London boutique but they told me to order it from Maidenhead direct. in fact the first price I was quoted was £330  which caused me to phone again later just to find out if I was imagining things...
    ]
    Seems like there is a competition amongst luxury watch makers to see how much of a mug you can make your customers.

Machine made SS links made in the hundreds of thousands at less than a pound a link I would think, much less actually.

Why don't you buy a full bracelet and then start selling individual links in competition and massively undercutting Seiko at say £150 each. Are there about 18 links per bracelet? That would make £2700 per bracelet and you would still have the clasp to sell.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    The OP said that it was the "Seiko service centre", presumably Seiko UK, who wanted £215 for the link!
    Further on though he implied that he'd initially contacted the new London boutique, which made me think that was the cause of the silly pricing, perhaps not.

BiC have a video on YouTube showing their manufacturing process, technology and quality control, it's very Grand Seiko in style:
    https://youtu.be/-OxsoPxc8SY

Who knows, maybe the BiC crystal will increase in price to the thousands once everyone knows how in house it is.

It's true, it was indeed the service center that quoted me that price ( although the woman I spoke to was obviously embarrassed by the price).

I dealt with Hazel. The bracelet I bought wasn't even in stock anywhere in the world and a job was raised for it to be manufactured in Japan, that's why I couldn't comprehend the price you'd been quoted for a single link.

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    BiC have a video on YouTube showing their manufacturing process, technology and quality control, it's very Grand Seiko in style:
    https://youtu.be/-OxsoPxc8SY

Who knows, maybe the BiC crystal will increase in price to the thousands once everyone knows how in house it is.

'Almost harder than diamond'.

Just spoken to the guy's at Jura -who incidentally got back to me at the speed of sound and couldn't have been more helpful- and they were quoted a mrrp for the link by Seiko of £450....! No, I'm not joking £450!!
    The quest continues....

Just spoken to the guy's at Jura -who incidentally got back to me at the speed of sound and couldn't have been more helpful- and they were quoted a mrrp for the link by Seiko of £450....! No, I'm not joking £450!!
    The quest continues....
    What a complete howler that is

Master
    The quest continues....

Might me worth sending Rob at Monster Watch an email, and see what he can do. I've brought a few things Seiko from him, and when i got my SBGA029 it came with a rattlely clasp. He quoted me 975 euros for a complete bracelet (managed to fix the clasp myself)

www.monsterwatches.eu

Good luck!

Seiyajapan sells the three row GS bracelets for $486. Perhaps I should buy a few and then strip them down for parts to sell on eBay.

I did email him about my five row bracelet but he never responded.