closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex - The most unloved brand

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    If you're rich and want to play it safe... and still show off... you'll buy a Mercedes. Everyone knows what Mercedes and Rolex are. They're a bit boring but they're the most obvious symbols of success and wealth. Even kids know that Mercedes is an expensive car. It doesn't seem to matter at all that they have put out total crap like Vito and the old A-klasse... or designed crappy Bluetec engines that literally exploded. It's the top marquee and will always be one.

If you're passionate and rich you'll buy a top-of-the line Jaguar, Aston Martin or something even more exotic... like Maserati. Most people still know what those brands represent.

In watch world it's more problematic. Nobody (outside the WIS circles) know what Vacheron and Breguet are. That's why you always have to buy a Rolex (if you want a "symbol of wealth"). It's the only luxury watch brand that people know (besides TAG Heuer maybe). Buying a Vacheron or JLC is like buying a hand-built AC Cobra or a Eagle Speedster.

I'm not sure 'a Rolex' would make a very good status symbol, even if it's a commonly held view amongst those who know nothing about them. It might just about indicate that you have, or have had a job, or are not living hand to mouth, but that's about it. You would have only demonstrated that you can save up a few grand, and are 1/100th of the way to owning a poky one bed flat in London. Perhaps something large and gold might suggest you had more spare cash, but at the expense of implying you may be a gangster or a character from a film set in the 80s.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 16th August 2017 at 14:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I'm not sure 'a Rolex' would make a very good status symbol, even if it's a commonly held view amongst those who know nothing about them. It might just about indicate that you have, or have had a job, or are not living hand to mouth, but that's about it. You would have only demonstrated that you can save up a few grand, and are 1/100th of the way to owning a poky one bed flat in London. Perhaps something large and gold might suggest you had more spare cash, but at the expense of implying you may be a gangster or a character from a film set in the 80s.
    Haha. Yeah maybe.

It's also funny how everyone always suspect them as fakes.

John Holbrook wrote a review of the 116610 when it was brand new and Rolex USA send him the watch for photography.

First comment in the comment section was: "John, are you sure that's a genuine Rolex? Date font looks a bit off".

That cracked me up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    So who buys all the PAMs ??

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Stallone and Statham

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Stallone and Statham
    Good answer

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Well possibly but also dangerously close to those types that are loudly knowledgeable about which airlines have the finest service: All it ultimately projects is that they fly scheduled rather than private. Likewise, real watch connoisseurs commission their own unique pieces.

This one was built on the in-house chassis of the longest running unchanged watch design ever. Unmatched héritage with some unique additions for the discerning gentleman:

Close inspection reveals that the atelier has skillfully blended additional design elements that increase both utility and value. The clever movable ingot adds appreciable heft while protecting the precious dial as perhaps a chivalrous knight might protect the visage of his betrothed. Heirloom quality, and unlike any production piece, quite unique.
    Baahahahaa.
    That's fantastic.

This one was built on the in-house chassis of the longest running unchanged watch design ever.
    Brilliant, literally laughed out loud.

Can you show us a picture of it laying down?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Oh dear, can't you afford one?

And have you got a tiny tinkle?
    This is exactly why I started to post, to point out the lads ( only a small number ) like Harry that think its a "dig" at an individual who may not be able to afford one and because he can, then he must be a better individual. Hence the "big d*ck" comment. Rather hilarious actually. So many thin skins here.

Does Harry go out for dinner with his wife and see another couple at another table, and the other gent happens to be wearing lets say a Casio? I say Harry gives himself a little pat on the back in his mind, as he sips his house bottle of wine thinking "good man Harry, you're a good old dog"

Congrats if you bought a Rolex Harry, you've really made it in life, you've really shown us all. Pints are on me. :)
    Last edited by Speedie; 16th August 2017 at 16:06.

Craftsman
    The thing with Rolex, (fake & real) is that they are worn by such a wide cross-section of society ... from drug dealers to Royalty.
    If you spot someone wearing such a watch you really don't know if they are a watch enthusiast or just someone who wants to give an "impression" of wealth.....
    If I saw someone on the train home tonight wearing a Rolex, I wouldn't dream of making any comment...... But if it was a Sinn or a Damasko, then I almost certainly would strike up a conversation as I know that they would be another watch enthusiast.

I have actually had strangers stop to talk to me when they have spotted my Sinn U2.... because they are fellow Sinn owners. You'd never get that with a Rolex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    If I saw someone on the train home tonight wearing a Rolex, I wouldn't dream of making any comment...... But if it was a Sinn or a Damasko, then I almost certainly would strike up a conversation as I know that they would be another watch enthusiast.

I have actually had strangers stop to talk to me when they have spotted my Sinn U2.... because they are fellow Sinn owners. You'd never get that with a Rolex.
    In other words, Rolex is as common as muck!!!

If you spot someone wearing such a watch you really don't know if they are a watch enthusiast or just someone who wants to give an "impression" of wealth.....
    Are we ruling out possibility that people buy them simply because they're well made, well speced robust watches that have a reputation for reliability and longevity? Does a shallowness of knowledge imply a shallowness of motive, too?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Are we ruling out possibility that people buy them simply because they're well made, well speced robust watches that have a reputation for reliability and longevity? Does a shallowness of knowledge imply a shallowness of motive, too?
    Yes of course that is also true.... but none of us know why a person has a Rolex on their wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    In other words, Rolex is as common as muck!!!
    Well yes...if you include all the fakes

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    This one was built on the in-house chassis of the longest running unchanged watch design ever. Unmatched héritage with some unique additions for the discerning gentleman:

Close inspection reveals that the atelier has skillfully blended additional design elements that increase both utility and value. The clever movable ingot adds appreciable heft while protecting the precious dial as perhaps a chivalrous knight might protect the visage of his betrothed. Heirloom quality, and unlike any production piece, quite unique.
    Well, now I know who writes the catalogue blurb for nearly every watch brand ever.

Also, Tokyo Takei wins yet another thread.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    it is no surprise to see the unstoppable rise of GS here in the UK while Rolex promotes Tudor, its budget brand. Rolex is a failing brand

I respect your opinion but LOL :)

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    This is exactly why I started to post, to point out the lads ( only a small number ) like Harry that think its a "dig" at an individual who may not be able to afford one and because he can, then he must be a better individual. Hence the "big d*ck" comment. Rather hilarious actually. So many thin skins here.

Does Harry go out for dinner with his wife and see another couple at another table, and the other gent happens to be wearing lets say a Casio? I say Harry gives himself a little pat on the back in his mind, as he sips his house bottle of wine thinking "good man Harry, you're a good old dog"

Congrats if you bought a Rolex Harry, you've really made it in life, you've really shown us all. Pints are on me. :)
    Oops, which hurt most the funds reference or the manhood slight?

Calm down dude we're only having a titter here (well I am anyway)
    None taken btw, I put sugar in me wine, it all tastes like vinegar to me

Master
    Oops, which hurt most the funds reference or the manhood slight?

Calm down dude we're only having a titter here (well I am anyway)
    None taken btw, I put sugar in me wine, it all tastes like vinegar to me
    Isn't that called "trolling"?

TOP DEFINITION
    trolling
    Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can.
    Guy: "I just found the coolest ninja pencil in existence."
    Other Guy: "I just found the most retarded thread in existence."

Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    Isn't that called "trolling"?

TOP DEFINITION
    trolling
    Being a ------- on the internet because you can.
    Bit unnecessary, suggest you edit.

Craftsman
    Talking to the youngsters at work they all seem to think Rolex are old hat, old peoples watches they are more into the bigger garish stuff you d see mayweather wearing. To them a Rolex isn't a display of wealth like it can be seen to be with the older generations.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I'm sure a few people and most WIS buy them for those reasons, but I suspect that almost all (non-WIS) buyers buy them purely due to their status and reputation and have no idea whatsoever is inside the case, and don't care either.

Craftsman

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    I don't own a Rolex, but I would like one. I don't own a big d*ick, but I would also like one.
    lol you sound like my girlfriend

Well, tbh if you come on to a watch forum and start having a dig at one of the most iconic of time-pieces that the majority of owners have to save and scrimp to own (like me) AND attempt to suggest that it has more to do with penile substitution what kind of response would you expect. As far as trolling goes anybody on here unlucky enough to have met me would probably confirm that I'm not the sort to hide behind a keyboard as I say it as I see it.
    Bear in mind the old adage about taking a knife to a gunfight op.
    From the age of not very much when I first read all the James Bond books all I wanted was an Aston, a Walther PPK , a Rolex and a big willy. I never got the Aston.

Master
    Well, tbh if you come on to a watch forum and start having a dig at one of the most iconic of time-pieces that the majority of owners have to save and scrimp to own (like me) AND attempt to suggest that it has more to do with penile substitution what kind of response would you expect. As far as trolling goes anybody on here unlucky enough to have met me would probably confirm that I'm not the sort to hide behind a keyboard as I say it as I see it.
    Bear in mind the old adage about taking a knife to a gunfight op.
    From the age of not very much when I first read all the James Bond books all I wanted was an Aston, a Walther PPK , a Rolex and a big willy. I never got the Aston.
    I have missed out on only one of the above......

If you're passionate and rich you'll buy a top-of-the line Jaguar, Aston Martin or something even more exotic... like Maserati. Most people still know what those brands represent.
    Does that include the Fiat diesel with a Maserati badge that self-employed double glazing salesmen and 'financial advisors' can lease for the same monthly payments as a 3 series BMW?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Idc0001 View Post
    Talking to the youngsters at work they all seem to think Rolex are old hat, old peoples watches they are more into the bigger garish stuff you d see mayweather wearing. To them a Rolex isn't a display of wealth like it can be seen to be with the older generations.
    Perhaps those hideous Cyclops are the reason that youngsters think that Rolex are meant for old, half-blind people ???

Master
    Rolex outsell every competitor by a large margin, and have done so for many years. Hard to think of a better definition of success. What else are they supposed to do ?

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Rolex outsell every competitor by a large margin, and have done so for many years. Hard to think of a better definition of success. What else are they supposed to do ?
    They don't though if you consider group sales, which is more relevant in the real world.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I used to know a lady whose favourite saying was "with just one of *these* I can have as many of *those* as I want".
    I assume d*ck. I heard about the mooring shortage in the Grand Harbour.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Does that include the Fiat diesel with a Maserati badge that self-employed double glazing salesmen and 'financial advisors' can lease for the same monthly payments as a 3 series BMW?
    It doesn't really matter. I heard Maserati Ghibli was crap.

It doesn't matter, really. Maserati will always have the "exotic" image. If you drive one and arrive to a party with a Maserati, it's a statement.

As I said, Mercedes has put out total crap too. But if you drive to a party with a new(ish) top-of-the-line Mercedes, it's a statement. It's the ultimate symbol of wealth for most people.

Does it makes sense to buy a Maserati Ghibli? Does it make sense to buy a Patek or a Breguet? Servicing alone will cost more than 50 Casios (that show time more accurately).

Absolutely not. Sense has nothing to do with it. People buy these things because they either want to "show off" or have weird fetishes (like we watch people do).

Reminds me of the old guy who was bragging about how his Rolex never lost a minute in the last 30 years. Guess what... neither did my Timex.

How can you "rationalize" yoursef buying something as useless as a luxury automatic watch? There's just no way. I'm honest about it. I buy them because I have a watch fetish / perversion and I have some extra to spend.

It doesn't really matter. I heard Maserati Ghibli was crap.

It doesn't matter, really. Maserati will always have the "exotic" image. If you drive one and arrive to a party with a Maserati, it's a statement.

As I said, Mercedes has put out total crap too. But if you drive to a party with a new(ish) top-of-the-line Mercedes, it's a statement. It's the ultimate symbol of wealth for most people.

Does it makes sense to buy a Maserati Ghibli? Does it make sense to buy a Patek or a Breguet? Servicing alone will cost more than 50 Casios (that show time more accurately).

Absolutely not. Sense has nothing to do with it. People buy these things because they either want to "show off" or have weird fetishes (like we watch people do).

Reminds me of the old guy who was bragging about how his Rolex never lost a minute in the last 30 years. Guess what... neither did my Timex.

How can you "rationalize" yoursef buying something as useless as a luxury automatic watch? There's just no way. I'm honest about it. I buy them because I have a watch fetish / perversion and I have some extra to spend.
    I think your point if you had one is somewhat lost.
    The comparison between Rolex and Timex is stupid.
    Is Rolex the best watch ever made or the most exciting or exclusive? No
    Do people buy it just because they want to make a statement or show off? No. Obviously some do but not all. Some buy it because they like it,know it is reliable, durable, holds its value and is just a darn good watch.
    You have spent major part of the week singing orgasmic praises of the Ebel BTR Chronograph. I agree it is a damn fine looking watch and well finished. Let me tell you my experience- I sourced one, lovely watch but hated the bracelet.
    Sourced a rubber strap and a deployant ( not easy to find ) and no options given their stupid screw system.
    Given how small the screws are I took it to a jeweler to change. One of the screw heads came off with the bottom part of the screw stuck to the bracelet. Borrowed a screw from one of my other Ebels. Put on the deployant, doesn't close properly. This may not happen with every Ebel but much less likely with a Rolex or a Mercedes.
    Things and OEM replacements perform for the most part as they are supposed to. That is not boring, it is reassuring.
    Rolex and Mercedes are both luxury or aspirational products. But not always intended as a statement of wealth.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 16th August 2017 at 23:23.

JPE, you obviously didn't read my post properly.
    Otherwise, you wouldn't question BTRs relevance.
    If you find Rolex boring, that is ok.
    But that is not what was under discussion.
    About how many Rolex I own or have owned.....let us just say fewer than Omegas and Seikos:-)
    I love my Rolexes but not to exclusion of everything else.
    Yes, they are just watches but that is what we normally discuss in Watch talk. Hopefully with passion, sincerity, a complete lack of objectivity and most importantly with intellectual consistency- the last part is hardest for many.

PS-Just saw your edit. If I had seen it before, I wouldnt have bothered to respond. That edit tells me all I need to know.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 17th August 2017 at 00:25.

Some of the new models are -------- ugly and undesirable.

Grow the ----- up. These are just watches... toys for big boys.

Edit PS: Look at this Yacht-Master II. This looks like a piece of -----. The fat, rich, tasteless ----- who buys this doesn't even impress the hookers
    Just because you've omitted a letter here and there doesn't mean you've observed the rule about decency of expression in WT. This is no way to discuss watches.

Don't you think that using aggressive language like this is just playground talk for big boys - but because you've put an asterisk in here and there you don't even impress. Perhaps you could reflect on your advice about growing up?

Master
    The idea that people buy things just to 'show off' is often just projection. People hear a loud sports car, and assume the driver wants everyone to know they own one. Perhaps they do, but perhaps they just enjoy driving it. It would also be possible to be the only person on earth (post zombie apocalypse, let's say) and still choose to live in a nice house, drive a nice car, and wear a nice watch because those things please you and you alone.

It could be a bit of both, of course. When we buy new clothes we hope we won't look like idiots. When we buy expensive clothes we hope we might even look our best. But to attribute everything to 'showing off' is mean spirited at best, a quality that Thorstein Veblen suffered from in attributing psychological motivations to economic phenomena.

Rolex gets this accusation the most of course, due to being the most well known luxury brand. They themselves have played into this as many of the designs have travelled firmly in the direction of bloat and bling, as compared to their more subtle and perhaps stylish designs in the past, though there are certainly exceptions. Either way, it's hard to know the motivations of any particular owner. Quite likely 'good value' will be one of them, as opposed to buying something as expensive as possible.

All in all though, it's hard to enjoy a watch forum unless you are capable of enjoying pictures of nice things which other people own. To join a watch forum without that basic ability would be an exquisite form of self-torture, I'd imagine.

Or a Sinn U2

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    The idea that people buy things just to 'show off' is often just projection. People hear a loud sports car, and assume the driver wants everyone to know they own one. Perhaps they do, but perhaps they just enjoy driving it. It would also be possible to be the only person on earth (post zombie apocalypse, let's say) and still choose to live in a nice house, drive a nice car, and wear a nice watch because those things please you and you alone.

It could be a bit of both, of course. When we buy new clothes we hope we won't look like idiots. When we buy expensive clothes we hope we might even look our best. But to attribute everything to 'showing off' is mean spirited at best, a quality that Thorstein Veblen suffered from in attributing psychological motivations to economic phenomena.

Rolex gets this accusation the most of course, due to being the most well known luxury brand. They themselves have played into this as many of the designs have travelled firmly in the direction of bloat and bling, as compared to their more subtle and perhaps stylish designs in the past, though there are certainly exceptions. Either way, it's hard to know the motivations of any particular owner. Quite likely 'good value' will be one of them, as opposed to buying something as expensive as possible.

All in all though, it's hard to enjoy a watch forum unless you are capable of enjoying pictures of nice things which other people own. To join a watch forum without that basic ability would be an exquisite form of self-torture, I'd imagine.
    Fantastic post, and one with which I'm in full agreement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Bit unnecessary
    as was your post....

Craftsman
    Well if I'm sat on a train with my Rolex on and that puts someone off starting a conversation with me - job done. I don't particularly want weirdos talking to me on the train.

Good enough reason not to wear a Sinn.

Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    as was your post....
    I was trying to be helpful but as you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    Well if I'm sat on a train with my Rolex on and that puts someone off starting a conversation with me - job done. I don't particularly want weirdos talking to me on the train.

Ha ha, spoken like a true London commuter! (I am exactly the same).

I happen to love Rolex, I used to own a beautiful two tone Datejust on a jubilee (i don't remember the reference number but bought it brand new about 7 years ago if that gives you any clues!?) the only reason I got rid of it was because I couldn't justify the cost of it (I wanted to go out for a pint one evening but couldn't afford to so I Sat at home, miserable, staring at my £6500 watch😅).

Although, if I suddenly came into some money I would probably buy a really garish diamond encrusted Rolex, a purple suit, feather bower and a fedora, so it's probably for the best that I am skint! 😁

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dylanbooth78 View Post
    Ha ha, spoken like a true London commuter! (I am exactly the same).
    .... and that is why travelling on the London Underground is so very depressing... Its rare that I go to London, but when I do, the contrast with my regular commute on the Chester - Liverpool line is very noticeable. Up here we are very friendly.... only the other morning I struck up a conversation with a Goth girl who had a rather good tattoo on her forearm of a Bearded Dragon (Lizard), so I shared pictures of my Gila Monsters (venomous lizards) at work.

Another example: I rode into Limestreet Station last month and saw a Black guy with a Limited Edition Brompton (folding bike), I made a comment about it being a nice Brompton and he told me how he had wanted that particular version... He said that he liked my Raw Lacquer Titanium Brompton.... I told he that I have only 2 Bromptons... but my Sister has 22 Bromptons... his reply "Ahhh, I know your Sister from her U-tube videos, love watching them.... so you must be the venomous snake man from LSTM... small world"..... He later told my Sister that he was pleased that I stopped and said "hello"..... that's how we are up here :-)

.... and that is why travelling on the London Underground is so very depressing... Its rare that I go to London, but when I do, the contrast with my regular commute on the Chester - Liverpool line is very noticeable. Up here we are very friendly.... only the other morning I struck up a conversation with a Goth girl who had a rather good tattoo on her forearm of a Bearded Dragon (Lizard), so I shared pictures of my Gila Monsters (venomous lizards) at work.

Another example: I rode into Limestreet Station last month and saw a Black guy with a Limited Edition Brompton (folding bike), I made a comment about it being a nice Brompton and he told me how he had wanted that particular version... He said that he liked my Raw Lacquer Titanium Brompton.... I told he that I have only 2 Bromptons... but my Sister has 22 Bromptons... his reply "Ahhh, I know your Sister from her U-tube videos, love watching them.... so you must be the venomous snake man from LSTM... small world"..... He later told my Sister that he was pleased that I stopped and said "hello"..... that's how we are up here :-)
    I was robbed by a Scouser. And SE London is as friendly as it gets, real salt of the earth. Regional stereotypes eh.... yawn...

I was robbed by a Scouser. And SE London is as friendly as it gets, real salt of the earth. Regional stereotypes eh.... yawn...
    SW London also has a pretty cool population. I am usually miserable on public transport because my commute takes two hours! Try being cheerful for two hours on busy London busses! 😁

I was robbed by a Scouser...
    Wasn't a Brompton was it?

Journeyman
    Very interesting thread, but can't help but be a little put off with Rolex with some of the comments...however the design of the submariner is awesome......so will still persevere.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tanatron View Post
    Keep in mind that the Rolex yearly production was a few years ago almost of one milion pieces. It should be down to 800.000 now (someone please correct me if i'm wrong).
    It obviously reflects on the second hand market.
    what!!! Not very exclusive then!!!

A million pieces......I m shocked...

Why on earth would you choose to describe him as a "Black guy"?

Master
    What always strikes me is that people are uninterested in what watch we are wearing. They just don't care . Why should they? If my watches attracted attention, I would sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Why on earth would you choose to describe him as a "Black guy"?
    Because some people probably wouldn't have started a conversation with him, regardless of the bike, simply because of his colour. I would prefer more description than less. To be fair the assumption for most white people would be that he was white without the additional description, and by contrast if it was an all black audience the assumption would be that he was black. I'm not sure there is anything more to it.

Quote Originally Posted by wantasub View Post
    what!!! Not very exclusive then!!!

A million pieces......I m shocked...
    They are made on a production line! Do you remember the advert that they bought out a few years ago that claimed "it takes 365 days to make a rolex" 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Because some people probably wouldn't have started a conversation with him, regardless of the bike, simply because of his colour. I would prefer more description than less. To be fair the assumption for most white people would be that he was white without the additional description, and by contrast if it was an all black audience the assumption would be that he was black. I'm not sure there is anything more to it.
    We'll have to agree to differ on this one, then. His colour is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    His colour is irrelevant.
    Totally.