closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor Black Bay Heritage 79220N

Tudor Black Bay Heritage 79220N

All, I know it's been reviewed over a hundred times on this (and other) forums but I would just like to reiterate what a damn fine watch the Tudor BBN is. I have owned it since late 2015 and it has kept fine time ever since; the satisfaction of having it on my wrist just gets better and better - I'm not surprised that it has become so very rare on the second hand market as, for me it's a keeper all the way. I love the Rose and curved text (scratching the Rolex submariner urge!) and feel this is the best Black Bay produced to date. Finally, I haven't quite managed to dive to 200m yet but there's always time IMG_4713.JPGPlease excuse the poor photo quality though, cheers!IMG_4978.JPG
    Last edited by WHL1882; 16th August 2017 at 08:53.

Craftsman
    Very nice! I am the sort of person who would choose a Bentley over a RR ........ and choose a Tudor over Rolex precisely because it is NOT a Rolex.
    I also love the fact that the Tudor range don't have the hideous Cyclops contraption for half blind people ;-)

I loved mine too, it was just a bit too big for me sadly. If they did a 39mm thinner one I'd buy it....

Cheers, not that I don't like Rolex ( I absolutely crave a Kermit or Hulk, maybe in the future) but I feel the Tudor has a personality of its own. All this 'poor man's Rolex' stuff gets on my nerves as it's clearly not. I've also nothing against Tudor in-house but feel the 1st generation has that special something is still reasonably priced on the secondhand market (aside from the BBN which I saw on Watchfinder a while back for nearly £2,700 and sold within two days!).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Mine gets a lot of wrist time. Currently on the NATO strap...

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by djjuk View Post
    Mine gets a lot of wrist time. Currently on the NATO strap...

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Very nice, would have definitely bought the in-house BBN if I was looking for one now.

Master
    Love mine. I also prefer the first gen - for me there's more "vintage charm" in it's look. It had to go back to Tudor as time keeping wasn't in spec. Its due back on Friday - been a LONG 3 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    Love mine. I also prefer the first gen - for me there's more "vintage charm" in it's look. It had to go back to Tudor as time keeping wasn't in spec. Its due back on Friday - been a LONG 3 weeks!

Agree and nice pic; don't know how you're coping without it for all that time? ☹️ Just to add, the red and blue versions look good - am quite confident they'll also be sought after in the longer term. Who needs a Rolex anyway...?? 😉

Lovely watch for sure.
    I don't think it is quite 'rare' on secondary market,though.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Lovely watch for sure.
    I don't think it is quite 'rare' on secondary market,though.
    'Admit 'rare' is probably the wrong word to use but you don't see too many eta BBNs come up for sale these days; when they do they're snapped up pretty quickly for more than RRP.

Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    'Admit 'rare' is probably the wrong word to use but you don't see too many eta BBNs come up for sale these days; when they do they're snapped up pretty quickly for more than RRP.
    Really. I might be wrong but my feeling is they are for sale much less on secondary market.
    I think it is an awesome watch and good for it if it fetches more than RRP.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Really. I might be wrong but my feeling is they are for sale much less on secondary market.
    I think it is an awesome watch and good for it if it fetches more than RRP.
    I was just going by Watchfinder where the old ones (79220N specifically) tend to sell for more than the in-house and generally seem to go very quickly. There always appears to be a healthy supply of blue and red etas though.

The ETA black sells for around £1700 on here. Admittedly, not too many come up for sale but at that price its fantastic value for money IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    The ETA black sells for around £1700 on here. Admittedly, not too many come up for sale but at that price its fantastic value for money IMHO.
    £1,700? Just goes to show the Watchfinder mark-up then!

Master
    £1,700? Just goes to show the Watchfinder mark-up then!
    Thats what mine cost new, from a high st AD.

£1500-£1750 depending on leather or bracelet seems to be a usual price point for vgc ETA Black Bays. I might add an in-house black bezel to my ETA one.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Have to agree, getting people to part with theirs is the problem 
    Last edited by Coronet king; 16th August 2017 at 19:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Coronet king View Post
    Never! 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Coronet king View Post
    Shouldnt be too hard if people are willing to pay £2700!

Lady at Fraser Hart told me they sold their last black bay eta for £1750. Can you only buy them used now? And are they much thinner than the new ones? Thought the case too chunky.

Had the first in house movement model BBB in the UK but sold it after a few weeks.

Found the snowflake on the hour hand too large, the crown too large and a bit stuck out with the plastic washer on it and the riveted bracelet wasn't for me.

Oddly I really like the date version in two tone so maybe a day window will grace the BBB at some point with a regular bracelet as the power reserve was incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGood View Post
    Lady at Fraser Hart told me they sold their last black bay eta for £1750. Can you only buy them used now? And are they much thinner than the new ones? Thought the case too chunky.
    Case is thicker because the bezel is so thin. Overall not so thick. They sold for more than £1750, but maybe that was the selling price with discount - most weren't discounted as they knew the model was being pulled following the in-house Basel version. It's a great watch imo and I have one on the table in front of me as I type.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGood View Post
    Yes, but that must have been the blue/red eta versions. The BBN appears to be the one that you have to pay a high premium for - and not just because I've got one!

Not sure about a high premium, but usually a couple of hundred more than an earlier red or blue - some of that could be down to the ages of those watches those.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Not sure about a high premium, but usually a couple of hundred more than an earlier red or blue - some of that could be down to the ages of those watches those.
    Or it could be the fairly short production timespan of the eta BBN meaning that they're not around in quite the same quantities as the other two colours. The Manager of the AD where I bought mine got one for himself just before Tudor ceased making it and he still raves about every time I go in there - and he's in a shop surrounded by every current Omega/Brietling model you could imagine. Still a great watch whatever colour/model you own.

Thats what mine cost new, from a high st AD.
    If you got the BBN (Black version) for £1700 BNIB then you got an absolute bargain.

If you got the BBN (Black version) for £1700 BNIB then you got an absolute bargain.
    Paid £1,780 for mine on bracelet. In house movement.

Master
    Sorry didn't realise we were talking about the Black - mines the Blue (still think it was a decent price)

Sorry didn't realise we were talking about the Black - mines the Blue (still think it was a decent price)
    Agreed, great price.

Gorgeous watch! I have one myself but I'm looking to part with it. I've loved it for 2 years but I think I need the cash more. Would kick myself if it became a collectors item down the road and started fetching way more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ostrichfalafel View Post
    Gorgeous watch! I have one myself but I'm looking to part with it. I've loved it for 2 years but I think I need the cash more. Would kick myself if it became a collectors item down the road and started fetching way more!

Is that the eta BBN? I suspect someone will bite your hand off for it if it's at the right price.

Craftsman
    I have the red one, love it to bits, however, recently in Greece could go diving with it. Felt afraid , etc etc, end up putting a gshock for the task

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by murilloinf View Post
    I have the red one, love it to bits, however, recently in Greece could go diving with it. Felt afraid , etc etc, end up putting a gshock for the task

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I'm in Kos at the moment and took mine off when embarrassed (I was trying to pretend I was asleep on the sunbed but the organiser caught me opening my eyes at the wrong moment😕) into playing water polo yesterday rather than risk smashing it against the side of the pool. Other than that the Black Bay is performing admirably; I swam down to a depth of 2 metres yesterday and it's still working! 😉

Journeyman
    Just bought the BB Blue, beautiful clear design and feels great on the material strap, perlon?

I've had my ETA BB blue since 2015 and it's still my most worn watch. In comparison to the in house BBs It's the small details that give the ETA the edge for me.

I much prefer the old Tudor rose as apposed to the shield, the curved text on the dial and the non riveted bracelet.

Craftsman
    Blue is tasty. Easily my favourite no date BB. I wish Rolex let us swap bezels, I'd love to see my BB steel with blue bezel.

I like the blue, red and black both eta and in-house; not as enthused about the astetics of the bronze but still a very nice watch. Also not keen on seeing more iterations under the Black Bay name. Maybe it's high-time for a Tudor name change - what about the Tudor Black Beard or Black Pearl? 😉😊
    Last edited by WHL1882; 19th August 2017 at 09:43.

Master
    My heart wants bb ETA but head says pelagos

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Fabulous looking watch. I have the Pelagos on my wishlist and can't wait to get my hands on one.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

i now see there are two Tudor BBN 79220N's (one on a bracelet and the other on leather) on Watchfinder - will be interesting to see how quickly they go?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistolpete21 View Post

I've had my ETA BB blue since 2015 and it's still my most worn watch. In comparison to the in house BBs It's the small details that give the ETA the edge for me.

I much prefer the old Tudor rose as apposed to the shield, the curved text on the dial and the non riveted bracelet.

Agree completely, the curved text is iconic, the straight text on the in-house models drags it back into obscurity for me (just one of the tiny details we obsess about). I do also wonder if the thicker caseback on the in-house model will make it sit very high on a nato?

Moved mine on pretty quickly. Didn't get on with the case proportions (slab sided with slim bezel), and the snowflake with round markers doesn't work well (imo).

Would love a pelagos to try.

Likewise I moved mine on, just found it too big and too thick. Loved the movement, power reserve and winding action of the big crown, if they made it in a 39mm I'd buy one in a flash. Or if they made the BB36 with a gilt dial and handset and in house movement...

Still better than another Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch rare, limited edition
    though...😉😊

Still better than another Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch rare, limited edition
    though...😉😊
    I wear my Speedmaster pro far more often than the BBN if im honest. Cant say one is better than the other but the Speedmaster appeals more to me.

I wear my Speedmaster pro far more often than the BBN if im honest. Cant say one is better than the other but the Speedmaster appeals more to me.
    Only joking, just having a poke at Omega's fixation with 'limited' editions. 😊 I actually love Speedy's as well; both they and Tudor are top notch.👍

i now see there are two Tudor BBN 79220N's (one on a bracelet and the other on leather) on Watchfinder - will be interesting to see how quickly they go?
    A bit sad replying to my own post but just checked on Watchfinder and both BBNs appear to have been sold. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is that the eta BBN? I suspect someone will bite your hand off for it if it's at the right price.

Yep it's an ETA Black Bay Blue. So far I haven't had anyone bite my hand off yet!

Craftsman
    WF now has the 79230N in house Black Bezel at above retail (only by £15 admittedly...!). Seems odd as I didn't think they were difficult to get hold of.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post
    WF now has the 79230N in house Black Bezel at above retail (only by £15 admittedly...!). Seems odd as I didn't think they were difficult to get hold of.
    Yep, while I can understand a mark-up on some rarer discontinued models, I can't really understand paying over-the-odds at Watchfinder for a current, reasonably well stocked (in ADs) model like the in-house Black Bay Black? You'ld have to be completely Ga Ga!