closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inflatable Tents?

Master

Inflatable Tents?

Does anyone have experience of inflatable tents?

I am considering getting one and would like to know how people find them in reality?

Specifically, are they as simple to put up as it looks and are they easier to collapse and pack away?

Cheers

James

Blog Entries
    Yep, we have an 8 berth Vango Rivendale which was purchased new last spring.

Several trips now and the reason..... it is just so quick, painless and easy to put up and take down. I would say virtually every camp someone comes up and comments on how fast we have it set up.

Vango's airbeam system is very good and the overall quality is as you would expect.

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Yep, we have an 8 berth Vango Rivendale which was purchased new last spring.

Several trips now and the reason..... it is just so quick, painless and easy to put up and take down. I would say virtually every camp someone comes up and comments on how fast we have it set up.

Vango's airbeam system is very good and the overall quality is as you would expect.

Pitch
    ok thanks that is useful to know, I will google that model ....

Does all the air come out of the tubes ok when collapsing?

I've got the outdoor revolution 6.0 xtr. Very good tent, lifetime warranty on the tubes. Around 20 pumps to get them
    Fully inflated, and deflate at a touch if a button in around 3 seconds. Have smart valves so you can't over inflate, and the Air tubes are very substantial in size.

Blog Entries
    Yes, you can use a pump to suck the air out but I just generally smooth the pockets out as we pack it.

Pitch

Master
    Yes, you can use a pump to suck the air out but I just generally smooth the pockets out as we pack it.

Pitch
    Ok thanks that is also useful to know.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I've got the outdoor revolution 6.0 xtr. Very good tent, lifetime warranty on the tubes. Around 20 pumps to get them
    Fully inflated, and deflate at a touch if a button in around 3 seconds. Have smart valves so you can't over inflate, and the Air tubes are very substantial in size.
    the tubes do look chunky in the videos, and seem to deflate very quickly so good to know they actually do...

Master
    we have an outwell pole tent currently, but i seem to break a pole every time i put the bloomin thing up... It is good once up though.
    Probably my poor outdoor skills...

Ideally, I would like a tent that self inflates, pegs itself into the ground and opens a beer for me...

Master
    Do the air tubes make them much larger when packed into the bag?

I was only reading up on these last night. I have a few tents but most are proper mountain tents and not suited to family camping. (Hilleberg, Mountain Hardwear, TNF and Vango).

The one that grabbed my attention was the Vango Palermo 800. I liked the way the sleeping areas were divided into pods. Particularly handy as the boys get older and want their own space (they are only 1.5 and 2.5 at the moment). Obviously the extra space would be handy now as being so young they come with lots of stuff !!

http://youtu.be/U6V91d7M0M4

Master
    I was just looking at the Vango Diablo 800 which is a similar shape with bedrooms at the sides also.

Our kids are young too and as you say they need space... lots of it...

Inflatable Tents?

I must add that we have never seen one up close so that could change our minds but they do look incredibly cool !
    I have had 2 poles on my Vango family tent snap due to wind on Achill Island in Summer time.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesnw View Post
    Do the air tubes make them much larger when packed into the bag?
    It is pretty bulky, you'll need a big car! Thing is it all goes in one bag so you cannot split it up unlike conventional tents where you can separate fabric from poles. Check website for dimensions, but I can tell you it's 50kg and takes some wrestling. The supplied bag on wheels is quality though and no troubles getting it back inside the bag.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    It is pretty bulky, you'll need a big car! Thing is it all goes in one bag so you cannot split it up unlike conventional tents where you can separate fabric from poles. Check website for dimensions, but I can tell you it's 50kg and takes some wrestling. The supplied bag on wheels is quality though and no troubles getting it back inside the bag.
    ok thanks, we have an s-max but we fill that out as it is when we go!

Journeyman

Inflatable Tents?

Yep, highly rated! We just got the Kampa Croyde Air 6. Officially six berth, but a very comfy 4 man. It's pretty big, 7.5m by 4.2m and 30kg but it is able to be put up (and down) by one person which was the biggest draw for me. Took the kids out (6&3) by myself last weekend and it was great. 25 mins to fully errect with little helpers passing the pegs and having a go at pumping...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    we have an outwell pole tent currently, but i seem to break a pole every time i put the bloomin thing up... It is good once up though.
    Probably my poor outdoor skills...

Ideally, I would like a tent that self inflates, pegs itself into the ground and opens a beer for me...
    Drop me a pm when you find one

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
    Yep, highly rated! We just got the Kampa Croyde Air 6. Officially six berth, but a very comfy 4 man. It's pretty big, 7.5m by 4.2m and 30kg but it is able to be put up (and down) by one person which was the biggest draw for me. Took the kids out (6&3) by myself last weekend and it was great. 25 mins to fully errect with little helpers passing the pegs and having a go at pumping...

I have seen the Kampa brand on a few sites. I will check that one out too thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dm1672 View Post
    Drop me a pm when you find one
    It does not seem like an unreasonable objective to me....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Our Outwell inflatable has been superb. But, get yourself an electric pump. Arriving at your destination, to then have to manually pump it up in 30c + temps, is not fun.

Have a look at Richard III Camping Supplies. I understand that now is the discount of their winter tents.

Yes, I made the same joke in these two threads. The old ones are the best...
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...neumatic-tents
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...flatable-tents

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Have a look at Richard III Camping Supplies. I understand that now is the discount of their winter tents.

Yes, I made the same joke in these two threads. The old ones are the best...
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...neumatic-tents
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...flatable-tents
    I was just about to google for their website... until i read those threads lol... doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Our Outwell inflatable has been superb. But, get yourself an electric pump. Arriving at your destination, to then have to manually pump it up in 30c + temps, is not fun.
    Good tip, thanks :)

Journeyman
    Changed from an Outwell Montana to a Betghaus Air tent. Best thing we ever did. As others have said so quick and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

+1 for Vango airbeams, great company to deal with for warranty issues too

Have a look at Decathlon's offerings.

Over the years I've spent months staying in those in all conditions and they've never let me down.

Their stores normally have an area where they are set up. You can even have a go at putting them up and own yourself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Have a look at Decathlon's offerings.

Over the years I've spent months staying in those in all conditions and they've never let me down.

Their stores normally have an area where they are set up. You can even have a go at putting them up and own yourself.
    ok thanks...

Master
    there is definitely a lot of positivity for the inflatable tents so i think that is definitely the way forward....

Journeyman
    Also saw in Gooutdoors today a 6 man airtent for around £650 including footprint and carpet which was a very good price, not sure on the manufacturer though so do your own research...

As mentioned above, they don't pack small. Went from an 8 person pole tent to a 4 person vango air beam in an attempt to downsize but the airbeam bag is much bigger and heavier!
    Tent is lovely though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swisstony View Post
    As mentioned above, they don't pack small. Went from an 8 person pole tent to a 4 person vango air beam in an attempt to downsize but the airbeam bag is much bigger and heavier!
    Tent is lovely though.
    It seems like a price worth paying for the benefits of them though ..... but definitely something to think about for storing it and travelling with it

Blog Entries
    We picked the Rivendale because it has a big living area to crash in if its cold and also a covered porch area to sorta sit outside and keep dry. The sun canopy is a really nice addition but does have a pole.

how to host images

Packed up this is it in the back of the Q7

how to host images

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Go Outdoors have some deals on at the moment...

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/airgo-so...6-tent-p360478

Master
    We picked the Rivendale because it has a big living area to crash in if its cold and also a covered porch area to sorta sit outside and keep dry. The sun canopy is a really nice addition but does have a pole.

Packed up this is it in the back of the Q7
    Thanks for the photos, they give a good indication especially for the bag size.

THe porch bit with poles is an extra presumably, it does not look to come with the standard tent?

oh - you did mention it was an addition...
    Last edited by jamesnw; 17th August 2017 at 09:17.

Inflatable Tents?

We brought the Vango Airbeam Evoque tent last year. It is for 6 but we wanted some space as a family of 4. I think this model has been replaced by a newer upgraded model.

The thing is that once you unroll it and peg out the corners the tent is up within 10 mins and so the wife can then focus on setting up the beds and inside while I finish off the pegging. Usually the tent is fully up and pegged out in 20-30 mins and we are fully set up with glass in hand within 60mins! In terms of pack up, once the tent is empty, it comes down in seconds and is rolled and back in the bag in 10mins.

We went for the Airbeam for the speed and ease of putting up and packing up and we felt that it would get more use if it was quick and easy with even short weekend trips as who wish to spend an hour or two on setting up or packing away?

It also gets comments when it is up and it is very stable and comfortable even in high winds. I could never go back to a pole tent now.

However, as people have said, it does comes in one big heavy bag and so you need a decent amount of boot space. However, at least everything is in one bag and so it is hard to misplace anything that is required to set up the tent!

No matter which model you go look for videos on setting up and packing down as we found those very helpful as camping novices!

Last edited by paw3001; 17th August 2017 at 09:46.

Master
    @paw3001 - thanks. I think i am definitely sold on getting one now due to all the positive responses and photos.

I shall be keeping an eye out in the sales for any good deals.

We brought the last years model and saved around £250 on the price of the new seasons model. However, the Airbeam tents are much more expensive than the equivalent pole tents but worth it in the long run.

Oh and my timings above are with using the supplied hand pump. We haven't felt the need for an electric pump as it is so quick and easy and I'm a terribly unfit late 40 something!

Craftsman
    Complete left field but we have a tentipi Safir 9. 3 mins tops to put up, no guy ropes needed around the tent and packs to the size of a rucksack. Can even have an open fire although we also have the stove with flue, keeps it warm and can cook on.

Not inflatable but the drain with camping is the faff that's needed in setting up. We also have an oztent but prefer the tipi

Tentipi Safir 7 here. Can withstand everything the weather can throw at it. Only thing quicker to set up are the pop ups.
    Too heavy to carry around but perfect for car camping
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    not an option i had considered the tentipis. I will have a look, thanks

If you bear in mind that quality wise they are a couple of notches above the rest, but bear in mind that the shape means that the periphery inside the tent has a low height clearance: fine for sleeping on a mat but only for storage if you use a cot. The fabulous surprise is ventilation, you can completely control it and opening the top really acts as a chimney drawing warm air out, which is brilliant on a hot day, unlike many other tents. It also allows you to cook inside without having to risk carbon monoxide poisoning

Master
    I have a couple - a Vango Airbeam, which was pretty good on the one occasion I used it and a QUECHUA MSH Living Room Inflatable Tent. The Quechua one is part of a modular system, but I use it in place of an easy-up shelter at rallies. I was utterly fed up with buying expensive shelters only to have them wrecked by high winds. At 3 x 3m this shelter is big enough to keep one end of the car out of the rain or to provide shelter for my service crew and high winds are absolutely no problem for it.

We've had a Gelert Omega 6 for a few years now, and it's ace - quick and easy to pitch and pack up, it's handled some pretty unpleasant weather including high winds and torrential rain, and it's got lots of head room inside (I'm 6'2" and have no problem with clearance). Sleeps 4 in comfort, and 2 in opulence... ;-) The bag is pretty big, and it weighs about 35Kg with all the pegs, mallet and pump, but given the amount of time it saves when pitching, it's a no-brainer for me.

I've got one of these - https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/colema...hoCqiYQAvD_BwE

Brilliant for a couple of nights away, but I wouldn't want to share it with anyone (well, maybe I could tolerate Monica Bellucci! ).

Very easy to put up and down (5 minutes) and it always amazes me that it actually packs back into its bag without much trouble - It really looks like it should be impossible!

Obviously if you're going big an inflatable might be a better idea.

M

Master
    Just as a counterpoint - I've used a Vango inflatable tent (really good) but more normally use a flex-poled Outwell. I have to say that the difference in setup time wasn't that huge, maybe 5 minutes saved with the inflatable. Where it really makes the difference is that the inflatable is far more of a one-person job.

As I've never gone camping on my lonesome with a family tent, I can't quite see the benefit, for me at least, though obviously if there's a sole adult with a couple of young kids it would be an entirely different story.

We have a Vango Airbeam Icarus Air 500, which is a little bit extravagant for 2 people, but gives us lots of room and the ability to stand up inside the tent.

As others have said, it's extremely easy to pitch - peg out the corners, pump up the 3 arches (even with the hand pump, it only takes minutes) and that's it. You can also peg out the guy ropes if it's likely to be windy, but the tent is pretty stable on its own.

Striking it is equally quick - unpeg, unscrew the plugs, and by the time you have folded it all the air will have been squeezed out.

The Vango also has a lot of thoughtful little features (e.g. velcro ties for the guy ropes) which suggest that it was designed by somebody who has actually spent some time under canvas.

Only downside is that it's quite large/heavy when packed, but I'd never go back to a pole tent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Just as a counterpoint - I've used a Vango inflatable tent (really good) but more normally use a flex-poled Outwell. I have to say that the difference in setup time wasn't that huge, maybe 5 minutes saved with the inflatable. Where it really makes the difference is that the inflatable is far more of a one-person job.

As I've never gone camping on my lonesome with a family tent, I can't quite see the benefit, for me at least, though obviously if there's a sole adult with a couple of young kids it would be an entirely different story.
    You must be good at putting the pole tents up ..., it takes me ages to get ours up and I break a pole every time lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of useful thoughts from everyone so thanks, it is appreciated ...

Heads up for a good price on this Berghaus inflatable tent. Use code DISCOVER20 to reduce the sale price further to £239.20.

https://m.blacks.co.uk/product/blue-...ign=HotUKDeals

It's also available via Millets (same company) using code CAMPING20.

After going through 4 different tents in as many seasons to find one that really suited us, we went to the campig show at the NEC in Feb.

After mulling over all the options from the usual suspects, Outwell, Vango, Outdoor revolution, Royal etc...we went with the Kampa Bergen 6.
    Its a huge tent and the pack is also huge and heavy so you will need a big car/van/trailer.

That said, its great, nice and airy, lots of room and the addition of the built in utility room males an ideal place for the toilet, saves trooping up to the blocks when one of the kids needs a wee.

Admittedly its not as well made as the Outwells, and I would have liked zip up curtains but the show price we got was about £600 off the retail.

Th only thing that bugs me is the sloping front door...why!!! all the makers do it now.

It rains, then you open the door to go out and all the water pours in....will most likely buy the additional front porch/awning.( hmmm answered my own question....!)

Aerodynamics also come into play... ^^

Master
    Blog Entries
    In ours at the mo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Heads up for a good price on this Berghaus inflatable tent. Use code DISCOVER20 to reduce the sale price further to £239.20.

https://m.blacks.co.uk/product/blue-...ign=HotUKDeals

It's also available via Millets (same company) using code CAMPING20.
    I have been looking at the Air 6 XL they do which comes in around £560 with the discount and seems a good size.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    In ours at the mo

looks comfy..... are you the only guys camping there? it looks like you have a lot of space!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have been looking at the Air 6 XL they do which comes in around £560 with the discount and seems a good size.

- - - Updated - - -

looks comfy..... are you the only guys camping there? it looks like you have a lot of space!
    We have a massive field to share between us and a couple others (just how I like it) All the rest are squashed up together at the other end hooked up to that electricity stuff.