closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Explorer 1.5 franken??

Rolex Explorer 1.5 franken??

Being reasonably au fait with my two-times tables, I believe could live without the engraved bezel of the Explorer II.

Does anyone know definitively whether it would possible to fit a plain bezel to a ref. 16570?

I would be as happy with a polished bezel as brushed... which I suspect might improve the odds. What donor bezel(s) would work? And who could do the transplant?

Many thanks for any answers you might have, and apologies if I've put the purists off their supper

That just looks like a well worn exp 2 where the numbers have rubbed away to nothing. Wouldn't be hard to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    That looks awful - why would you want to?

It's a personal thing, of course, but I really dislike plain bezels, rehaut etc in that style. Just smacks of cheap Chinese homage.

Master
    It looks like someone who's had their eye brows shaved off! Not a fan personally

What would be the point of the GMT hand?

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    That looks awful - why would you want to?

It's a personal thing, of course, but I really dislike plain bezels, rehaut etc in that style. Just smacks of cheap Chinese homage.
    This.

I think you'd be better off buying a DateJust instead of ruining a perfectly good watch.

Hideous, no other words for it.

Horrible. Just buy a vintage Milgauss if that's what you're after and forgo the GMT hand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Horrible. Just buy a vintage Milgauss if that's what you're after and forgo the GMT hand.
    Isn't there about a £20k difference between the price of a vintage milguass and a used Explorer II?

If you absolutely must mess up an Explorer II like this, I'd recommend sourcing a beat-up bezel separately and finding someone with a lapping machine. At least then it'll reversible with the original part when you come to your senses. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    If you absolutely must mess up an Explorer II like this, I'd recommend sourcing a beat-up bezel separately and finding someone with a lapping machine. At least then it'll reversible with the original part when you come to your senses. ;)
    That's kind of what I've been thinking about... and possibly the only way to get the right size of bezel. Don't know how much metal would be left on it after deleting the numbers though...

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    That's kind of what I've been thinking about... and possibly the only way to get the right size of bezel. Don't know how much metal would be left on it after deleting the numbers though...
    There would be plenty. The numbers aren't terribly deep-set; you'd probably only have to lap it down something like 0.1 - 0.2 mm.

So it's fine mechanically. Visually, though... :P

I have a very strong feeling that watch is unfinished.

^
    You mean the one with the bezel numbers that have been erased in an image editor using a basic clone tool?

I think the Tudor 79500 is what you're looking for. I think it looks great!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    I think the Tudor 79500 is what you're looking for. I think it looks great!
    I agree - I think the bezel looks correctly proportioned and a bit champfered (if that's the word). The OP's watch reminds me of my 10 year old television with a two inch black bezel all the way round.

I'm a big fan of the Exp II and I'd leave mine as is!

Phone number for SpecSavers anyone ?

There would be plenty. The numbers aren't terribly deep-set; you'd probably only have to lap it down something like 0.1 - 0.2 mm.

So it's fine mechanically. Visually, though... :P
    :P

^
    You mean the one with the bezel numbers that have been erased in an image editor using a basic clone tool?
    :)

Apologies if this was unclear to anyone from the original post, the image is indeed all of 5 mins' with the clone stamp by way of a rudimentary illustration.

Ah, just pulling your leg a bit. Honestly, there are probably worse fates for a knackered bezel than to be customized and put back into service.

Craftsman
    I like it. It looks sparse and original. Still easy to read the get. But what do I know????

You could always buy an exp II and wear it 24/7 for 20 years, pretty sure that's how the bezel would look!

Master
    Gads.

on the other hand, I'm sure I saw a post where Jocke added a GMT bezel to an explorer to make a PanAm style rolex, that was cool as.

Craftsman

I have learnt a bit about this explorer bezel changing malarkey in the past month, and paid for the privilege. Sourced and bought a beat up old bezel from Italy and the black came out with scrubbing and WD40(!) and this is it laid on top of my near mint one. But I'm now against swapping it. Rolex refused to do it, pointing out the manner in which my beat up one had been prised off and that they wouldn't guarantee it's water resistance if swapped, but outatime also pointed out that my existing one is in such good nick I'd be kind of crazy to reject it.
    I aim to just wear it and let it wear out as and when it feels like it.

But I just wanted to pull the black out. Take away the 24 hour markers altogether? Naaaahhh.

I just posted this so y'all could see the photos next to each other.

^^ That's the thing about round these parts - there's always some else also swimming against the tide

Don't know if I would want to leave it at paint removal though... I've seen that on chrome camera plates in the past, it gives a sort of uncanny valley effect, not quite one thing or another while approximating both.

Many thanks for posting the pics though, very useful by way of reference!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post
    on the other hand, I'm sure I saw a post where Jocke added a GMT bezel to an explorer to make a PanAm style rolex, that was cool as.
    Did it rotate though? I thought it didn't - if it did, it would be a popular change I reckon.

- - - Updated - - -

Did it rotate though? I thought it didn't - if it did, it would be a popular change I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Pretty sure it did, I'm gonna go find it.

This is C/O Jakes rolex blog

I cant find Jocke's, PAGING JOCKE!

I'm sure the whole bezel assembly is a direct swap, so you'd have to have the explorer a la Marlon Brando then buy the rest of the assembly IIRC. Dont quote me on that tho.

^^ those both look fantastic, think I would go with the red/blue first. Tempted to do this when I get my Exp II serviced

An "in the flesh" pic from insta. This guy has a seriously impressive watch collection if you want someone new to follow.

Craftsman

I'm sure the whole bezel assembly is a direct swap, so you'd have to have the explorer a la Marlon Brando then buy the rest of the assembly IIRC. Dont quote me on that tho.
    Not gonna lie, the black bezel one is pure sexiness. Love it.

I'd personally like to see if it could be achieved with the 42mm Exp, and the Ceramic GMT bezel.

That I think would be sweet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rgwarden View Post

A couple of years ago I saw a white-dialled Explorer on VRF where the owner had done that to the bezel insert. He also added a red date wheel. Looked pretty cool, though the white dial/black bezel combo above is something else.

Craftsman

I always assumed that they were GMT-IIs with Explorer II dials installed. Wouldn't an Explorer case need modification for the click spring to achieve this?

you could be correct there m8.

Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    A couple of years ago I saw a white-dialled Explorer on VRF where the owner had done that to the bezel insert. He also added a red date wheel. Looked pretty cool, though the white dial/black bezel combo above is something else.
    I wonder if anyone has ever changed the actual colour of the numbers on the bezel insert. I'd like to see that.