closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega - Ordering Replacement Cards

Omega - Ordering Replacement Cards

Hi oh fountain of collective knowledge,
    I wonder if someone can help me please?

I recently purchased a watch described as having "full papers" only to discover it didn't. Financial restitution has been made (for that and other things) and I now find myself without the cards (expired I know but my OCD for completeness prevails).

Before I have always emailed my friendly contact at Omega Head Office and ordered the requisite cards, paid the money, waited and they turned up.

This time however, my contact has stated that due to a policy change by Omega they will no longer supply to the general public and it must be done via an AD (I presume to authenticate authenticity as well as possession of the watch).

So I popped into my local AD who have stated that they have to send the watch to Omega before they can be ordered. Personally I don't believe this and wondered if anyone has ordered replacement cards "post" this policy change and what the procedure was.

Many thanks in advance,

Si

What you're being told is accurate. I bought a Speedmaster Professional Gemini 4 without papers and went into my local Omega Boutique to find out about replacement cards/papers. They sent the watch back to Bienne to be authenticated, four weeks later I got the watch back with replacement cards and a Certificate of Authenticity. It cost me £125 - a bargain imo.

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    What you're being told is accurate. I bought a Speedmaster Professional Gemini 4 without papers and went into my local Omega Boutique to find out about replacement cards/papers. They sent the watch back to Bienne to be authenticated, four weeks later I got the watch back with replacement cards and a Certificate of Authenticity. It cost me £125 - a bargain imo.

Simon

Do you know whether there is a limit on how old the watch can be for them to be able to authenticate this? I.e. after the 1970s?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Allwatches View Post
    Do you know whether there is a limit on how old the watch can be for them to be able to authenticate this? I.e. after the 1970s?

Thanks
    I think we are talking recent times here, probably within 10 years or so, they are not going to reissue a 30-40 year old set of papers / cards. For those I think they would expect you to order an Extract from the Archives.

I can see why Simon did it with his highly desirable limited edition, but not convinced it would add much to a standard production model, unless it is being bought to satisfy OCD

It wii add more the £125 value to most modern loose Omega watches, in some cases a lot more.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    They definitely have a cut off which may be to do with the fact that Omega only used the plastic credit cards like they use now from the late 1980s so they won't provide one for anything before that and would instead sell you an extract from the archive. Even if you can get one, the replacement will be a brand new card back dated, not a period replacement so will be an obvious on a watch from before 2010 or so. I got one for a 1999 piece last year.
    Last edited by Padders; 15th August 2017 at 06:06.

Thanks for all the replies.

As I said above it's all about my OCD for a complete set as opposed to adding any value (although should I decide to move it on then it would make a future sale easier) .

I will take it into the Omega Boutique in Birmingham and see what they say.

Cheers,

Si.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Master
    It cost me £125 - a bargain imo.

Simon
    Only on a watch forum can anyone think a piece of plastic is worth that much! But I agree with you.

Apprentice
    What about the tag?If the tag is missing could you get a replacement from Omega too?

Apprentice
    A nice little 'heads up', thanks.

By the way does anyone out there ever use the box their watch came it? Or is it just a case of keeping it for when you possibly punt it on in the future?

I bought my Railmaster 2403 without box and papers from Watches of Knightsbridge and I just wondered how much it would actually add to the value in the future to gather these together via various means?

Quote Originally Posted by jenksruss View Post
    A nice little 'heads up', thanks.

By the way does anyone out there ever use the box their watch came it? Or is it just a case of keeping it for when you possibly punt it on in the future?

I bought my Railmaster 2403 without box and papers from Watches of Knightsbridge and I just wondered how much it would actually add to the value in the future to gather these together via various means?
    It will add little value (maybe a cursory amount) but should you decide to sell it in the future it would at least give some reassurance of authenticity.

Mine is purely CDO (it's like OCD BUT ALL THE LETTERS ARE IN THE CORRECT ALPHABETICAL ORDER) .

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post
    Only on a watch forum can anyone think a piece of plastic is worth that much! But I agree with you.
    When I sold the watch I gained a lot more than that

Blog Entries
    How long does it take to get the cards?
    Cheers

Craftsman
    So.... the one in sales corner that came without cards now seems like a bargain

Master
    Bad man sends good watch to Omega for new cards, just as he might send a good watch to Rolex for a service.

Bad man then has good Omega with corresponding card / good Rolex with service card.

Bad man then swaps expensive genuine parts for fake ones, in either case.

Bad man now has bad watch --- but a card to accompany it which he knows many others will accept as proof of authenticity!

This whole concept of cards / boxes / paraphernalia providing any enduring evidence of authenticity for the watch itself is illogical and naive, yet perpetuated on the very fora where members might be expected to be more critical.

Judge the watch and its parts in isolation when assessing authenticity. If any accompanying fluff excites you that's fine (I can be similarly aroused), but don't bestow upon it greater meaning than is properly merited.

Haywood

Grand Master
    Agree 100% with Haywood's comments, but trying to change peoples' perception of the value of papers, warranty cards etc is like persuading the fox to play nice with the chickens......some folks enjoy the warm feeling of having a 'full set' so much that they see what they want to see when looking to buy.

Swapping a genuine Omega movement for a Chinese ETA clone is very easy to do. Such a watch may have papers, box, and all the trinkets but it could still be a wrong 'un. It's unlikely for most models but it's possible and it does happen.

Unless the box/papers/warranty card are original to the watch I would place zero value on them; getting a replacement card set doesn`t cut it for me. Others will disagree and be prepared to pay money too obtain said items.

Paul

@ Haywood & Paul... whilst I completely agree with everything you both have said, it seems nevertheless to be an undeniable truth that a watch with (box and) papers will enjoy a higher resale value than an identical loose one. When I sold my Gemini 4 to a well known dealer, the difference in the prices they offered me depending on whether or not it had papers was considerably more than the cost of obtaining them...

Simon

Master
    @ Haywood & Paul... whilst I completely agree with everything you both have said, it seems nevertheless to be an undeniable truth that a watch with (box and) papers will enjoy a higher resale value than an identical loose one. When I sold my Gemini 4 to a well known dealer, the difference in the prices they offered me depending on whether or not it had papers was considerably more than the cost of obtaining them...

Simon
    Indeed, people like us may bestow whatever value we like to such related accessories.

My point, however, is that these items represent no enduring guarantee that the watch itself is genuine. This is the misconception I highlight.

Haywood

Apprentice
    Thanks for the info, I totally get both sides.

Funny thing is I only told the Mrs I was buying the Railmaster as an 'investment' but in reality I wear it more, and it gets more admiration than my titanium PO GMT...both will probably never get sold!

I'm sure I'm not the only one in this club

I said this in another thread here somewhere, boxes/papers/hang tags etc etc seem to add resale ability in most popular watch brands... But in the case of Rolex why do they add a substantial monetary value like no other watch brand, yes I know there will be certain watches with historical value like military watches increasing in price with official papers, but Rolex just outclasses every other watch brand in popularity for full sets - why?

It may seem like a simple question to answer but I think it's more complex and weaved into the fabric of the Rolex brand along with the "vintage" theme that just keeps climbing to new asking price highs, I mean even late 90's/noughties watches are now having the vintage word attached to sales and of course the included full set..