closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The re-issue Autavia

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Just saw that. I think it's actually the same watch! The receipt is even folded the same way
    I paid £3,705 for mine in May 2017 plus free watchwinder as compensation as an acknowledgment of poor customer service/late delivery.

Ironically I haven't received it yet. 😥

Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    I paid £3,705 for mine in May 2017 plus free watchwinder as compensation as an acknowledgment of poor customer service/late delivery.

Ironically I haven't received it (the watchwinder)yet. 😥

Master
    Just looked on watchcount.com and it actually sold for £2800! Thats a huge loss if they paid RRP
    Iconic selling for around £3150.

Journeyman
    Love the aesthetics of the re-issue but the case size is the elephant in the room. Completely rules it out for I think unless seeing it in person changes my mind.

Just saw that. I think it's actually the same watch! The receipt is even folded the same way

I can assure you it is not

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Iconic selling for around £3150.
    Thats not bad and you wouldn't take much of a hit if you didn't get on with it

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Apologies it appeared to have the exact same sales receipt. Good luck with the sale

Master
    Just looked on watchcount.com and it actually sold for £2800! Thats a huge loss if they paid RRP
    That's a good price but how does watchcount actually know what it sold for? The eBay ad still says £3200

Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post
    That's a good price but how does watchcount actually know what it sold for? The eBay ad still says £3200
    No idea but I use it sometimes before I send a best offer to see the lowest a seller has sold for.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    If you look at the old and new the old looks so much better proportioned.

Wow what a great photo. Good to see them side by side! The vintage one looks very new though. Did you have it restored?

Craftsman
    Starting to feel some tag love..... always hated them but I keep been drawn to a Monaco. Not sure what the model name is but it's the one with the heuer branding. If I could find a place with a decent discount I'd probably get one. Wouldn't want to pay rrp in case I don't bond with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    If you look at/mouse over the last picture in the ebay ad:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tag-Heuer-...p2047675.l2557

You can see that the watch was bought from Beaverbrooks Westfield, Stratford City.

The order date was 04/05/2017 at 11:53.

There is an order number which ends 31263.

I happen to have links to the photos from today's SC post in my browser history:

https://postimg.org/gallery/2tsixhug4/

Image 1659 is an interesting one - the receipt is back-to-front of course, but in the nature of these things, a little transparent.

https://postimg.org/image/o9oxswh77/

or as here, though this is a smaller version of the hi-res download:

Looking below 'A family business since 1919', you might think you can just make out in reverse, an address, possibly 'Westfield, Stratford City'.

Below the '#myhappymoment', I think that may be a date and time - '04/05/2017 11:53'.

And under that, some sort of transaction reference, '31263' perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by nickk View Post

Looking below 'A family business since 1919', you might think you can just make out in reverse, an address, possibly 'Westfield, Stratford City'.

Below the '#myhappymoment', I think that may be a date and time - '04/05/2017 11:53'.

And under that, some sort of transaction reference, '31263' perhaps.

Last edited by Der Amf; 16th August 2017 at 22:31.

A quick edit

That's a first, buying from Ebay to sell on SC.

Usually happens the other way round, buy from SC to sell later at inflated price on Ebay !

Interesting bidding history on eBay: http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI...D1285875574050

How come the seller did turn down/let expire multiple bids of 3,000 before he accepted 2,800?

Something else going on? Quick check of the domain swisstimewatches.co.uk, owned by one Gaetano Alfano. Does the name ring a bell? Not for me.

To be continued....?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Remember you sent me a PM asking why I would never deal with you in any capacity ?

You are a chancer.

For me it's not the profit thats the issue for me but the lies regarding the condition. The add said something along the lines of "in perfect condition as new like all the watches I sell here" the watch in the ebay add is really scratched and something I commented on. The watch sold Friday after 5pm so allowing for postage it wouldn't have arrived until Tuesday where you refinished it to "as new" then listed Wednesday. The initial price from memory was actually closer to £3500. I was a bizarre chain of events but the worst part was the "assurance" that it wasn't the same watch but the resident detectives have proved otherwise.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    This has provided some excellent breakfast coffee reading.
    Chapeau, supersleuths.

Banned
    Makes you wonder why folk rush to buy from here.

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    Because chancers are outed?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    Which account are you going to log in with next?

There was a member here called johncoote69 who used to do this sort of thing, along with buying lots of CDs from Tesco for the clubcard points, which he exchanged for Godsmiths vouchers to either sell on here or to buy Montblanc pens which he - you guessed! - sold on here. The CDs he bought in bulk made it onto SC too. Eddie ended up banning him from SC. I wonder if history is in the process of repeating itself?
    "A man of little significance"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Which account are you going to log in with next?
    One with you on my ignore list sounds a good idea.

I could be wrong but did the same guy try to pass off some bubble bath as a collectable 70's Dr Who toy?

Master

Jeez, does it ever look better! Why can't they just get these right! Whenever you see threads about bloated re-releases you get 8 people saying it's proportions are wrong and 2 saying they love theirs.

Makes me think if they made it look exactly the same they'd have 8 people saying 'it's perfect' and 2 saying the original was too small for me so this one will be too.

Which one makes better business sense?

For me it's not the profit thats the issue for me but the lies regarding the condition. The add said something along the lines of "in perfect condition as new like all the watches I sell here" the watch in the ebay add is really scratched and something I commented on. The watch sold Friday after 5pm so allowing for postage it wouldn't have arrived until Tuesday where you refinished it to "as new" then listed Wednesday. The initial price from memory was actually closer to £3500. I was a bizarre chain of events but the worst part was the "assurance" that it wasn't the same watch but the resident detectives have proved otherwise.
    Is the suggestion being that the watch was bought off eBay for £2800 refinished then put up here for £3400? Genuine question because this is a bit all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Jeez, does it ever look better! Why can't they just get these right! Whenever you see threads about bloated re-releases you get 8 people saying it's proportions are wrong and 2 saying they love theirs.

Makes me think if they made it look exactly the same they'd have 8 people saying 'it's perfect' and 2 saying the original was too small for me so this one will be too.

Which one makes better business sense?
    Likely most customers will not care and so long as it looks like the original which it does will be perfectly happy with it. To be fair the reissue is a nice looking watch especially if you factor in the in house movement.

Looks much better on bracelet, only stumbling block is the bezel width for me, but i may change my mind when seeing it.

They are the same person ? See post #6

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...nd+johncoote69

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    There was a member here called johncoote69 who used to do this sort of thing, along with buying lots of CDs from Tesco for the clubcard points, which he exchanged for Godsmiths vouchers to either sell on here or to buy Montblanc pens which he - you guessed! - sold on here. The CDs he bought in bulk made it onto SC too. Eddie ended up banning him from SC. I wonder if history is in the process of repeating itself?
    Last edited by UKWatchGuy; 17th August 2017 at 09:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Looks much better on bracelet, only stumbling block is the bezel width for me, but i may change my mind when seeing it.
    I was looking forward to it but it feels all wrong. I'm lucky enough to have an original and was thinking the new version could be one I could wear everyday, so having the looks of the original but with the practicality, spare parts should something go wrong(!) or the watch pick up a knock and general less fear of wearing a new watch. I'd much rather spend a big chunk of money less on a Tudor Heritage Chrono, which is very nicely proportioned, or even better, a Pelagos which at least has a nice movement and that titanium case and bracelet. The bracelet on the new Autavia is very nice though but a shame it's 21mm (I think?) and not useable on old Heuers. I think TAG missed a trick here, had they said it was going to be a) 43mm or so b) automatic and c) with a date at six I wonder how many people would have voted for a 39mm manual no-date model when it would have been simpler to just produce a direct copy of the Siffert, which was 42mm, automatic and had a date at six. The Siffert wouldn't have needed a disproportionally sized bezel either.

Quote Originally Posted by UKWatchGuy View Post
    They are the same person ? See post #6

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...nd+johncoote69
    No, I don't believe it, what a coincidence! Who knew returning with a different username could end in tears like it's done for almost everyone who's ever been banned and come back and tried to carry on as before.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was looking forward to it but it feels all wrong. I'm lucky enough to have an original and was thinking the new version could be one I could wear everyday, so having the looks of the original but with the practicality, spare parts should something go wrong(!) or the watch pick up a knock and general less fear of wearing a new watch. I'd much rather spend a big chunk of money less on a Tudor Heritage Chrono, which is very nicely proportioned, or even better, a Pelagos which at least has a nice movement and that titanium case and bracelet. The bracelet on the new Autavia is very nice though but a shame it's 21mm (I think?) and not useable on old Heuers. I think TAG missed a trick here, had they said it was going to be a) 43mm or so b) automatic and c) with a date at six I wonder how many people would have voted for a 39mm manual no-date model when it would have been simpler to just produce a direct copy of the Siffert, which was 42mm, automatic and had a date at six. The Siffert wouldn't have needed a disproportionally sized bezel either.
    The whole process has been strange from TAG:

Run an online poll overwhelmingly targeted on watch/vintage enthusiasts about which classic they'd like to see reissued. So far so good.
    Proceed to "reimagine" the watch to appeal to their perception of mass market, thus making it unappealing to many of the people they polled.

Already trading well below retail when, done right, it could have been highly in demand and commanded a premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    The whole process has been strange from TAG:

Run an online poll overwhelmingly targeted on watch/vintage enthusiasts about which classic they'd like to see reissued. So far so good.
    Proceed to "reimagine" the watch to appeal to their perception of mass market, thus making it unappealing to many of the people they polled.

Already trading well below retail when, done right, it could have been highly in demand and commanded a premium.
    Presumably the watch was made to fit the movement? In fact I'm seeing similarities between the Autavia and the Fiat 500 - both are reimagined classics made using existing parts.

I didn't bother voting because I knew it would end up like this. Had they made the watch faithful to the original Rindt I would have had one by now, especially with a 19mm bracelet. I don't believe that it would have affected prices of the original (especially since TAG just did a Skipper Carrera replica that's very close to the original: https://www.tagheuer.com/en-gb/news/...s-quintessence) - in fact I think there's a much bigger market there for a close replica. I don't believe watches should have dates for the sake of it and if the spacing of the subdials is such that you can't make the dial wider without spoiling the proportions why not do something really crazy like make the case and bezel a bit thinner so it doesn't spoil the proportions? Makes no sense to me. Funny thing is I'm friends on Facebook with a lot of Heuer collectors but the TAG Autavia is conspicuous in its absence from the photos they post. Jeff Stein has one but I suspect he was given it by TAG, apart from that, nothing.

Presumably the watch was made to fit the movement? In fact I'm seeing similarities between the Autavia and the Fiat 500 - both are reimagined classics made using existing parts.

I didn't bother voting because I knew it would end up like this. Had they made the watch faithful to the original Rindt I would have had one by now, especially with a 19mm bracelet. I don't believe that it would have affected prices of the original (especially since TAG just did a Skipper Carrera replica that's very close to the original: https://www.tagheuer.com/en-gb/news/...s-quintessence) - in fact I think there's a much bigger market there for a close replica. I don't believe watches should have dates for the sake of it and if the spacing of the subdials is such that you can't make the dial wider without spoiling the proportions why not do something really crazy like make the case and bezel a bit thinner so it doesn't spoil the proportions? Makes no sense to me. Funny thing is I'm friends on Facebook with a lot of Heuer collectors but the TAG Autavia is conspicuous in its absence from the photos they post. Jeff Stein has one but I suspect he was given it by TAG, apart from that, nothing.
    Have I just purchased a turkey then? 😥

Have I just purchased a turkey then? 
    No.
    Enjoy your watch- it may not have been to everyone's taste but still a damn fine watch.
    Just hasn't found favor with the lovers of the original.
    Vintage watch lovers are one of the most difficult crowds to please:-)

Master
    I have learnt a lot on this thread. But supposing we approached this in a different way. Instead of historic comparisons, we simply judged the new Autavia as a watch, to be seen as a 'stand alone ' with no history.
    Does it come out better then ? Or is just a poor design, full stop?

Exactyl. If you like and wear it then really who cares? The re-issue is a great watch in of itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactyl. If you like and wear it then really who cares? The re-issue is a great watch in of itself.

Craftsman
    especially since TAG just did a Skipper Carrera replica that's very close to the original: https://www.tagheuer.com/en-gb/news/...s-quintessence

It's even further apart from original than Autavia.

Master

The re-issue Autavia

I have learnt a lot on this thread. But supposing we approached this in a different way. Instead of historic comparisons, we simply judged the new Autavia as a watch, to be seen as a 'stand alone ' with no history.
    A good question... I think the bracelet would put me off, as a new design could have a more appealing one. Then there's the bulk and overall shiny quality. The designers have clearly latched on to the current trend for a slightly 'pumped up' feel, as if a watch has been inflated with a miniature bicycle pump, or taken steroids. Omega have fallen for this look too, unfortunately. Perhaps it's intended to communicate a cartoonish generosity of size and luxuriousness, or to create 'presence' and make the watch 'pop'. But personally it always makes me think of a watch intended for a gentleman with a fuller figure.

It is not without elements I like, but even ignoring the comparison with its classic ancestor, it doesn't really attract me as a package. In fact, when I saw it recently I was thinking how remarkable it is that just a glance at a display cabinet seems to indicate the relative price points of different brands. You'd think you could design your way out of this, but it's rarely the case, as watches and brands that manage to look more expensive, end up being more expensive. Which is a long way of saying it's not for me, even with fresh eyes and no history.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 17th August 2017 at 12:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post

It's even further apart from original than Autavia.
    Good point, I thought it was more similar.

Have I just purchased a turkey then? 
    No, I think it's still a very nice watch with an interesting movement. If you like it don't be swayed be others opinion, especially us vintage Heuer enthusiasts who are likely to be much more critical! :)

For the record I do also think the design should've been closer to the original. The bezel is a bit too thick, the case is a bit bulky and the sub dials too large. So in a way it is a missed opportunity by Tag (a bit like their first attempt at an Autavia reissue in the early 2000s) but I still like it and if I was in the market for a modern chronograph I would check it out.

I don't think it looks right on most straps though, especially untapered ones but it looks great on the perforated black vintage style strap shown earlier in this thread.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like the design - albeit only from pictures. What would stop me getting one is the weird minutes sub-dial, the original was fine and the current one has 2.5 minute increments - very odd.

Thing is we can't approach it as a standalone watch because it was supposed to be a reissue and things like the dial are very close copies of the original. I'd be much more interested in seeing TAG come up with a modern version, much like the Pelagos is to the Snowflake or some of the modern Carreras are. It wouldn't be difficult to say it should have a date, be 42mm, have two sub dials (the 1163 and 11630 Autavias had it right the first time round) rather than try to cram in a date and three sub dials, a bezel in proportion to the case and dial and so on. Sell it with a nice perforated rally strap or a bracelet like the non-BOR bracelets fitted to the 11630.

For me it falls into the same category as the Monza, which is a combination of what looks like the Monza reissue case from 2000(ish), which was based on a Heuer from the 1930s that was never called Monza, but with the dial and hands of a PVD Cal.12 Monza from the early 1970s. You can find these for sale in Ernest Jones and other TAG dealers up and down the country, and there don't appear to be many circulating on here or onthedash. I actually think the new Monza reissue dial and hands would work much better in the new Autavia reissue case but that's just me!

FWIW I think this is one of the closest "re-issues" out there
    Yes, they always change the aesthetics, and often fluff the watch to 3-5mm larger, adding spurious dates.
    But overall I think this is very well done.
    Except
    Making the minute sub-dial unreadable (2min 30 sec hashes???)
    That is just plain stupid, and totally unnecessary, as the original 30 minute counter (in the same dial position) used 30 hashes.
    Fools
    D

I like it and would consider one used when prices come down

Master
    Have I just purchased a turkey then?
    That's the wrong way to look at it my fellow Autavia owner! I'm assuming you bought it because you liked it (there aren't many owners on this or any forums). So what's changed?

Believe me when I say it's not a good thing if everyone owns the same watch. It was never going to be a classic in the same way the Speedy or a Sub is. So even if you do want to move it on, there might be more potential interest as the options will be slimmer to buy elsewhere.

I'm planning to keep mine for a while. And maybe in a few years replace the bezel with the LE version - if that's even possible (with a bit of luck). This should freshen it up and give it a new look.

I've been offered a brand new for £3k but with the leather strap. Very tempted.

Steve

Cheers all, I appreciate and tend to agree with all of the helpful opinions expressed on here, both positive and negative about the Autavia. I really do like the watch but it doesn't give me quite the vibe that I get from my BBN; maybe that will come with time though... Anyway, should I decide to flip it at some stage in the future, I already hope it will go to a good soul on this forum, mind you, I'll need to get to 200 posts first so not just yet! 😊👍

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post
    That's the wrong way to look at it my fellow Autavia owner! I'm assuming you bought it because you liked it (there aren't many owners on this or any forums). So what's changed?

Believe me when I say it's not a good thing if everyone owns the same watch. It was never going to be a classic in the same way the Speedy or a Sub is. So even if you do want to move it on, there might be more potential interest as the options will be slimmer to buy elsewhere.

I'm planning to keep mine for a while. And maybe in a few years replace the bezel with the LE version - if that's even possible (with a bit of luck). This should freshen it up and give it a new look.

That version does look better, less bulky font on the bezel.