closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The re-issue Autavia

Master

The re-issue Autavia

Can someone remind me why 'we' don't think much of this re-issue. Only, on paper, it looks a serious challenge to the Speedmaster. Panda dial, modern movement, some genuine history.....what's the drawback?
    Especially as you can buy them for around £3200.

I saw one on Saturday and wasn't particularly impressed; it was very shiny and, for me, a little too large.
    To me, it was just another watch in the window.

I am being drawn back to the CV2010, CV2014 Carreras though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's too bulky.

If it was 39mm I would buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Can someone remind me why 'we' don't think much of this re-issue. Only, on paper, it looks a serious challenge to the Speedmaster. Panda dial, modern movement, some genuine history.....what's the drawback?
    Especially as you can buy them for around £3200.
    I think it looks great and like the Speedmaster a very versaitle watch. It's only drawback is Tag Heuer's brand perception amongst many of the TZ members because as far as I can see 'too large/bulky/shiny' can be atributed to some of TZ's most desirable brands and watches.

The proportions being different to the watch it was modelled on I think put its reputation off to a bad start. The joke subdial doesn't help, at least to those whose eyesight hasn't gone yet.

Master
    Blog Entries
    In trying to ensure it wasn't a copy of the original they ruined the proportions imo. Not a fan of the polished BOR bracelet but that wouldn't have been a deal breaker if I liked the watch itself.

The Jack Heuer limited edition actually looks nicer as the changes in colour/design look like they hide the bloated bezel a bit - I'd like to see it in the flesh.

Master
    The BoR bracelet is far too blingy for me. The dial also reminds me of one if those Dan Henry watches.

Size / dimensions.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Apprentice
    Photo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
    Photo?

Here's one…

Apprentice
    Are we talking about this:

(Sorry, I'm not well in with Tag -- but I like to know what aspects of a watch are considered to be poor, so this thread interests me).

Craftsman
    This is the prototype, but essentially, yes.

Master
    Blog Entries
    See, if they made the watch 40mm and took both those 2mm off the bezel, I think it'd look great.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I prefer it to the moonwatch by a mile.
    Proportions are fine when you try it on.
    I don't see a problem but then again I don't have any experience of the original.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Here's one…

Bahahaha! Very good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Just don't like the looks of it, especially the bezel. Speedmaster seems much more refined in comparison:

Craftsman
    I like it the reissue. But they've messed up the scale/markers on minutes subdial. Somehow one can divide 10 by 4 in Switzerland, it doesn't seem to work elsewhere.

Craftsman
    There's a lot to like about it but the bezel is very thick compared to the rest of the watch.

Also, as someone pointed out to me the other day, the minute counter subdial only measures 2.5 min increments so it's hard to precisely time anything less than that, which is a problem for a chronograph.

Master
    So, not flavour of the month, then. I'd like to see one in a shop, get a better idea.

They made an oversized, automatic version of what was a relatively small manual watch. The original is about the size of a pre-ceramic Sub but not quite as thick. The new version is about the same as the new ceramic Sea Dweller. Bearing in mind the size and movement I think they'd have been better off doing a reissue of an automatic Autavia but they already tried that a few years ago. I tried one on the other day and while I thought elements of it were good, for the money I'd rather have virtually anything else, top of the list being a Pelagos. I have a lot of chronographs and find a rotating bezel just as good for what I need to time as a chronograph, so for me the Pelagos with its titanium case and bracelet, adjustable clasp, better design and cheaper price wins every time.

I do think TAG had it right with the Carrera reissues - that is the ones that actually looked like faithful replicas of early Carreras.

I'm not so keen on modern Speedmasters but at least they have a nice continuous history, something the Autavia doesn't have. I wonder how long it will take TAG to Photoshop one onto a photo of Jochen Rindt like they did the new Monaco onto photos of McQueen?
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Thing that struck me when I saw one was just how big the gap looks between the case and the strap as the lugs must be quite long or certainly the spring bar holes are quite close to the ends of them.

Otherwise I quite like it, it's almost there. For me though the bezel insert let's it down and the mentioned lug/strap fitment look.

The re-issue Autavia

Just a question, but can anyone see TAG Heuer continuing with this reissue or ceasing production pretty quickly (similar to previous, failed attempts at bringing it back) due to a general lack of interest in the piece?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by WHL1882; 14th August 2017 at 14:38.

Master
    I also saw one at the weekend. I didn't handle it but seeing it in the cabinet, it didn't exactly reek of quality to my eye. I'd feel more confident in the quality of a speedy. Perhaps it would be fine, if it weren't a reinterpretation of a much admired classic. As it is, it looked like a re-issue made with the modern diet in mind, and made me think:

Last edited by Itsguy; 14th August 2017 at 14:50.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I also saw one at the weekend. I didn't handle it but seeing it in the cabinet, it didn't exactly reek of quality to my eye. I'd feel more confident in the quality of a speedy. Perhaps it would be fine, if it weren't a reinterpretation of a much admired classic. As it is, it looked like a re-issue made with the modern diet in mind, and made me think:

Hahahahaha. V good.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Just to add, I bought one a short while ago after contemplating an Omega Speed FOIS; I love it, only criticism being that it does sit 'noticleably' high on the wrist and has that 'large watch' feeling. I personally can see it becoming a fairly short-lived affair; don't think they'll shift many as Omega seem to have this corner of the market sewn-up - much to the detriment of TAG and others.

Master
    There was such a buzz about this, I feel they had to try to mess it up. The design was chosen, they just needed to put it in production, but instead they changed it.

Heuer appeals more to the watch community, whose prefer authentic smaller watches.

Instead they beefed it up, to appeal to a wider audience. Most of whom won't be interested in the heuer brand anyway.

Master

The re-issue Autavia

Here's mine. I really like it. Definitely chunky yes, but not as large appearing in real life.

I recommend trying it on in person. As for size comparisons, the latest Carrera's are actually measured thicker, and that's without a bezel!

Personally I'm hoping that it doesn't sell very well. It's not good when everyone owns the same watch!

Last edited by Yunsung; 14th August 2017 at 17:11.

Seems lovely in pics and I'm considering buying one. Need to try it first though - wouldn't hesitate if it was <39mm.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have heard the statement that they didn't want to re-issue too close to the original to protect the owners of vintage versions. That sounds like bs to me.

I have the 1964 Carrera re-edition and it is almost identical to the original.

They have bulked this up to fit with current fashions and in the process spoilt it.

I have tried one one and wanted to like it but it was just too big.

Also, the 2 1/2 markers on the minute sub dial are a very odd choice. Why not minute markers like the original.

Master
    Aficionados are complaining here and, aesthetically, I agree with them. However, will the watch as it is sell better with the general public than if it were completely faithful?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I would buy tomorrow if the strap only fit!

No issue with the Bracelet though

.....But may just wait for The 85th Anniversary Autavia.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is what a quality re-issue looks like.

1964 Heuer Carrera Re-edition from 1999

Carrera - Original compared to the re-edition

Craftsman
    I agree with most sentiments here. Nice watch but I wouldn't buy it because - case too big and too thick, bracelet doesn't do it for me. I get that the latter is true to the original tho, it's just not my thing. Viewed it in person to be sure but just felt it was a big heft of a watch and there were others I'd prefer for the money.

Why is the date '8' displayed sideways, is that correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
    Are we talking about this:

(Sorry, I'm not well in with Tag -- but I like to know what aspects of a watch are considered to be poor, so this thread interests me).

Quote Originally Posted by UKWatchGuy View Post
    Why is the date '8' displayed sideways, is that correct ?
    Because that's a picture of the prototype.

Apprentice
    i like this one, prolly getting one by year end, as too many incoming... i prefer this re-editions compared to the earlier autavia / carrera / monza (not the recent) re-editions / re-issues

I like it,would be nice to see one the flesh.

I've tried it on both on leather and bracelet.
    I liked the look of the leather but the OEM strap is really short.
    On the bracelet it was very shiny and did not appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    On the bracelet it was very shiny
    Indeed.

Not worried about the size, but it's too highly polished, especially on the bracelet.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post
    Here's mine. I really like it. Definitely chunky yes, but not as large appearing in real life.

I recommend trying it on in person. As for size comparisons, the latest Carrera's are actually measured thicker, and that's without a bezel!

Personally I'm hoping that it doesn't sell very well. It's not good when everyone owns the same watch!

Looks pretty good, probably too big for me. Do you know how thick the case is?

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you look at the old and new the old looks so much better proportioned.

The re-issue Autavia

I think it looks really good, but has been made too big/thick.

Also of concern is the implementation of the date. I'm someone who finds a date rather useful, and it has been integrated into chronographs well from time to time. Trouble is, if it's not at 12 'o' clock or at half-four, there's not really much room on a three-register chronograph for a date. This is quite noticeable in this instance, as it looks alright when the date is in the single digits, but when it's in double digits it's just too crowded.

Haven't seen one in the metal yet, granted.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 15th August 2017 at 20:09.

brush the bracelet

Master

The re-issue Autavia

Measures at 15.6mm according to reviews. Side by side against a Speedmaster

Last edited by Yunsung; 15th August 2017 at 23:02.

One from May sold for £3200 or best offer recently
    Looking at the pictures it picks up scratches very easily
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tag-Heuer-...p2047675.l2557

Just looked on watchcount.com and it actually sold for £2800! Thats a huge loss if they paid RRP

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    Just looked on watchcount.com and it actually sold for £2800! Thats a huge loss if they paid RRP
    That doesn't bode well did the one on SC at the moment then!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    That doesn't bode well did the one on SC at the moment then!
    Just saw that. I think it's actually the same watch! The receipt is even folded the same way

SC one is same watch that sold on EBay ?

Just saw that. I think it's actually the same watch! The receipt is even folded the same way

Master
    withdrawn now