closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any love for the milgauss

Any love for the milgauss

IMG_0965.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do like them, just not sure I want one, bit unloved really.

No, never been a fan.

Master
    Yes, for the vintage Milgauss references 1016 and 1019. Nay for the current ones.

Master
    Like the seconds hand.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Yes, for the vintage Milgauss references 1016 and 1019. Nay for the current ones.
    You'll have to show me a Milgauss 1016 ;-)

H

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

H
    Aye, that was a brain fart moment. The 1019 is so much better looking than the current models, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

H
    Have never seen a 1019 in the flesh
    Have you managed to acquire many of these?
    Think 1019 with black dial looks cool

Craftsman
    I do like them, just maybe not enough to stump up 4K for one...

Master
    I have one and it's one of my favourite watches, worn for special occasions unlike my Sub which is worn more frequently and for work! Mine is the black dial and green crystal stunning watch!

Master
    Yes ... I like them ... well the Z Blue one at least anyway.
    Had this until very recently ...

Last edited by I a n; 16th August 2017 at 23:33.

Master
    I like the one above this post. Not the white.

What's the story behind the Milgauss? What's its purpose. Not sporty, not dressy..?

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    I like the one above this post. Not the white.

What's the story behind the Milgauss? What's its purpose. Not sporty, not dressy..?
    Try this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolex_Milgauss

Craftsman
    I love the 1019 and the 6541 but both way out of my price range

Yup it had a purpose an engineers or electricians watch ,
    Have seen a few older watches from the 60s with an internal cover underneath the case back ,the aqualung and the speedmaster
    Magnetism must have been a major problem

Master
    Not for me I'm afraid. I really dislike the jagged seconds hand, and the marker batons just look wrong - and it's a bit too small for me as well. All purely personal taste of course and I wouldn't throw rocks at anyone who lusted after one.

Strangely enough, I was looking at one with a dark face at Lord of London's Shenfield shop on Friday. They have a December 2015 watch Reference Number:116400gv, which looked mint for £5,400.00

http://lordoflondon.com/portfolio-view/rolex-milgauss/

Blog Entries
    I understand the design brief was to convey a sense of electricity in the air (but not in the case) but the second hand is extremely unsubtle and makes it look like the kid's watch in the Rolex lineup.

Craftsman
    I have a black dial & a white. The white is stored away & the black gets worn on a black leather nato, it's a nice solid piece that feels like quality.
    Would like to ad a gv at some point or even a vintage piece if funds allowed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Yes ... I like them ... well the Z Blue one at least anyway.
    Had this until very recently ...
    ....and it is now sitting happily in my watch box :)

I like the electric shock second hand.. it is different....
    Last edited by jamesnw; 14th August 2017 at 11:08.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not a fan of the white at all or the latest blue

Like the previous GV and Black

I am in the market for a Milgauss Z Blue. I think the watch is stunning in person and love how the blue dial really pops out. The contrast against the green crystal is visually pleasant. I concede this is not a watch for everyone but I find it quite unique and fun for a Rolex. Not very many out in the 'Wild' either, unlike the Subs, GMTs, DJs, etc that are quite a common sight.

The thunderbolt seconds is another favorite aspect of the watch. If you want a serious steel smooth bezel Rolex, the OP39, Explorer 39 or DJ41 are excellent and less expensive options.
    Last edited by Lostintime; 14th August 2017 at 03:47.

Nice watches but obviously vs the 15k gauss Omegas the branding is a bit daft seeing as the name of the watch alludes to being THE anti magnetic watch whereas Omegas are 15x more anti magnetic and don't even refer to it in the name of the watch.

On the wrist they are lovely though and the black dial/orange hand version is an all time favourite

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Nice watches but obviously vs the 15k gauss Omegas the branding is a bit daft seeing as the name of the watch alludes to being THE anti magnetic watch whereas Omegas are 15x more anti magnetic and don't even refer to it in the name of the watch.

On the wrist they are lovely though and the black dial/orange hand version is an all time favourite

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Are many watches bought for their intended purpose?
    Diving, flying, working with magnets?
    I take you're point though... the original milgauss may have had a point to make - doesn't stand out in today's market.

Craftsman
    I don't dislike them, but there are many other Rolex models I'd like to own above this.

Craftsman
    The Z-Blue is the only Milgauss I wanted, I'd prefer it on a brushed bracelet rather than a PCL, but its still my second favourite Rolex,

http://imgur.com/eVqQlRs

PS.. still cant seem to get a blooming photo to post directly off Imgur, used the copy function here, but no luck.. any ideas?

Craftsman
    I'm a big Omega guy, but the Milgauss seconds hand and it's science background has always appealed to me. It was actually the first Rolex that I actually looked at seriously. Plus I love the lack of the Merc Hour hand.

This is the one for me:

I like the GV's.

The second hand really ruins it for me.

I had one of the GVs really liked it as was different and don't see that many out and about (although have seen a few). I liked the second hand, but found it a bit "blingy" with the PCLs (although I chose the GV so go figure) sold it, don't really miss it except for special occasions - would happily have another but would probably choose something different in reality.

Sorry that doesn't help much - it was my first (and only) Rolex but probably is better as a 2nd or add to a collection as I didn't find it hugely versatile.

Craftsman
    I'd have to wear it on a bright orange nato if i got one, or a nice orange-tan leather nato... mmmm...

Master
    Another vote for the blue and have seen some vintage ones which are quite cool looking although they are already V expensive. One of those u get when u have a sub already and want another sports Rolex that is a little different. Difficult to be a first pick sports Rolex for most

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Just got a Z-blue about a week ago. I've also had a Submariner no-date 2-liner, GMT Master II, and 2 different Explorer (1) models. I had realized that I didn't have any visually exciting or particularly interesting watches and I wanted a blue-dialed watch, that combined with the controversial second hand and the coke bottle crystal, it kind of fit the bill to add some variety to the collection. I'm not a fan of the Cyclops so it mostly fit the bill. I've worn it 3 days and I think it's enough of a departure from my comfort watches that it's taking me some time to warm to it. I don't dislike it at all, but I've not felt immediate connection as I did with the Explorers. If I were designing it, I'd not have included the PCL. I do like the fact that it's visually a departure from most of the company's otherwise somewhat staid designs but it is a little more bling-y with the combination of the height and polish. It is made beautifully and feels great.

Interesting take on the Z Blue. As a former owner of polished Breitlings, the perceived bling factor of the watch doesn't bother me much, in fact, this is what I am looking for. I have looked at the Subs, DJs, GMTs and Explorers and while watches and all they seem a little staid for me, nothing wrong with that of course.

Hope you warm up to your new Milgauss. I can see how it's blingy and fun persona may seem like a huge departure from the look and feel of other Rolex watches.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Another vote for the blue and have seen some vintage ones which are quite cool looking although they are already V expensive. One of those u get when u have a sub already and want another sports Rolex that is a little different. Difficult to be a first pick sports Rolex for most

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    It will be my first sports Rolex. I thought about a Sub C but to me for some reason these fail to grab me. I would pick a new DJ41 over it to be honest.

If the watches and the Rolex ownership lives up to the hype I will probably add another one GMT Iic or BLNR down the road....

Master
    Had the black dialled GV and loved it. Kept for about a year and then sold it. It was during that time my favourite watch and I got the most positive comments about it.

Roll on a couple of years and bought a Z-Blue as I missed the Milgauss and ended up selling after a few months and not a lot of wear. The blue dial was a really nice sunburst dial, but I think in that time, my tastes have changed. If I buy another, it will be another black dial GV, but it will have to be a really good deal.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post
    Interesting take on the Z Blue. As a former owner of polished Breitlings, the perceived bling factor of the watch doesn't bother me much, in fact, this is what I am looking for. I have looked at the Subs, DJs, GMTs and Explorers and while watches and all they seem a little staid for me, nothing wrong with that of course.

Hope you warm up to your new Milgauss. I can see how it's blingy and fun persona may seem like a huge departure from the look and feel of other Rolex watches.
    It's kind of funny, the days I've worn it, no one has noticed other than my 8 & 10 year old daughters, but those two notice if a few hairs are parted differently, so the sense of bling is probably mostly me. I generally fly below the radar on most things (drive a dark gray Audi, ride a black Triumph, and lots of earth-tone clothes) and this watch probably does too for most people--compared to the still fashionable 'clocks' people wear, it is relatively discreet I suppose. Most of my watches are otherwise pretty subtle (Sinn 856 & 656, Damasko DA36 & DB2, the aforementioned Rolexes, IWC Mark XV in white, several TimeFactors, etc.). Now that I think about it, I used to wear my Tag Carrera Twin Time and it's pretty shiny, it never attracted much attention either.

Lostintime, I'm guessing you're a fan of the the Milgauss in all its [relative] bling glory. ;-)

Journeyman
    I like the white dial/red seconds hand combo

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asmetana View Post
    drive a dark gray Audi, ride a black Triumph, and lots of earth-tone clothes
    Earth tone clothing with grey and black vehicles?

Master
    I get cold sweats when I think how close I came to buying one in 2010ish. Awful watch.

The original (?1019) is just fabulous. There was one on SC once.

Quote Originally Posted by Merch131 View Post
    The Z-Blue is the only Milgauss I wanted, I'd prefer it on a brushed bracelet rather than a PCL, but its still my second favourite Rolex,

http://imgur.com/eVqQlRs

PS.. still cant seem to get a blooming photo to post directly off Imgur, used the copy function here, but no luck.. any ideas?

Your image needs to end in ".jpg" and it needs the IMG wrapping code.

[img]insert jpg link here[/img]

So for yours:
    http://imgur.com/eVqQlRs.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    The original (?1019) is just fabulous. There was one on SC once.
    Yes. Went down to 22.5k.

Blog Entries
    I flipped this black dialled (non GV) several years ago ...

It's my favourite of the Milgauss range & might be the one watch I have to revisit.

z

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Yes. Went down to 22.5k.
    Shame the seller deleted all the photos.

Journeyman

Craftsman

Lume isnt bad either

Last edited by Merch131; 15th August 2017 at 21:19.

Master
    Have had a few - in fact all of them:

GV first, then white and then black - had them all for a number of years. The black went in favour of the others, then GV went in favour of white (really....), and then white went in favour of something else, then I missed a Milgauss and in came the Z.

Nice watches. Formal and informal, wearable 24/7.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post

GV first, then white and then black - had them all for a number of years. The black went in favour of the others, then GV went in favour of white (really....), and then white went in favour of something else, then I missed a Milgauss and in came the Z.

Wow! Very nice, there's some love for the Milgauss.

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post

Very nice they look good

I like the GV and saw one in the Rolex store at Heathrow T2 last Friday. Very tempting but I can't justify the outlay. Maybe if it's still there when I next pass through I'll take the plunge.

Love my Z-Blue which was my first Rolex as it even knocked my BLNR down into second place!

Of course, it helped that it was a lot easier to find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paw3001; 16th August 2017 at 21:06.