closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Premium Bonds

Craftsman

Premium Bonds

So Mrs king & myself are maxed out on premium bonds this month, eagerly awaiting the knock on the door on the 1st.
    For me it's a good investment as it stops me buying more watches apart from my f2f tomorrow.

Have any members had any luck with larger investment in bonds?

Quote Originally Posted by Coronet king View Post
    So Mrs king & myself are maxed out on premium bonds this month, eagerly awaiting the knock on the door on the 1st.
    For me it's a good investment as it stops me buying more watches apart from my f2f tomorrow.

My dad gets something fairly consistently although nothing like he could get elsewhere but there is always a chance and it forms part of a diverse portfolio.

Master
    I had a few £K in them quite a few years ago, and I won a £50 prize... it changed my life...

Overall they did not seem worth it to me... but it is luck of the draw I guess.

Not worth it TBH.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Have a few k my self in bonds I get a few cheques come through the door , it better than any interest I would get from the banks imho

Journeyman
    my dad has had the full premium bond holding for two years now and it has returned just over 1.1% each year which is tax free and better than any taxed savings account I can find at the moment (isa maxed out each year etc) and there is the
    vain hope of a big win.

I would only put money in premium bonds once all other tax efficient investments have been utilised and you're also close to your £1000 tax free savings interest allowance.

regards

Saggs

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    My dad gets something fairly consistently although nothing like he could get elsewhere but there is always a chance and it forms part of a diverse portfolio.
    I agree.
    Diverse portfolio is the key, it also stops me buying watches & shares in gold miners.

Ive had only £100 worth of bonds.

Cant remember when I got them! It must be about 15 years ago though...

I had my first win a month or two ago...............£25!

Blog Entries
    We have max premium bonds and most months we get some return, it varies a lot. If you expect large returns it's not a good idea. Some will say inflation loses value but you have to take into account the returns you get. Our other investments bring greater % returns per £ but there's always the chance of winning a major prize. We like to look each month to see what we won, or didn't!
    If you can do it and not rely on it for an income then all well and good.
    Ian

Not really worth it these days. I stated on a thread a couple of months ago that if I had spent the £10K on watches instead of pb's in 2001 I would have £20-25K worth of investment rather than the £10K worth of premium bonds I've still got. My biggest win was £100 in May(I think govt spies heard I was going to cash them in) When I first got them the wins were £50 and I would get 5 or 6 a year. Then they reduced the minimum to £25 and the frequency dropped as well.

Premium bonds deliver approx the same rate of return as index linked savings certs. I have both and I'm sad enough to have the stats. You do need to be in up to the max for this to be true. They are also tax free and somebody had to win the big prize each month.
    Well managed portfolio will beat them all day long.

Master
    But they'll not go 'belly up ' and you could win big time ,though vvvv unlikely.

If you do stats I realise need more v's

My mother won £50k 23 years ago which was nice. £1k to each of us know kids and dad got a president watch

I use them as a sop to the temptation of other forms of gambling. As such they have proved to be one of my best investments.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    I use them as a sop to the temptation of other forms of gambling. As such they have proved to be one of my best investments.
    That's good to hear, we had a few last month & won 3 prizes so time will tell.

I like the idea of it not burning a hole in my pocket & you never know you could get a return on your investment

Master

Mrs T & I buy £100 each month but are some way off the max of £50K and haven't had a win for a while
    My gaffer is maxed out and usually gets 2 £25's each month
    For us it's not about investment but somewhere to keep a few £'s safe with a slim chance of a win some day

hope you get a knock next month

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    Mrs T & I buy £100 each month but are some way off the max of £50K and haven't had a win for a while
    My gaffer is maxed out and usually gets 2 £25's each month
    For us it's not about investment but somewhere to keep a few £'s safe with a slim chance of a win some day

hope you get a knock next month
    If I do get a knock next month I will buy September's for you
    I know my generosity knows no bounds.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I've had mine for about 15 months. Biggest single win was one £100. As expected, my return has been give or take the prize fund yield - 1.15% currently. It's tax-free and (nearly) instant access so reasonable place to park cash you don't want to risk and may need in a hurry.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Premium bonds deliver approx the same rate of return as index linked savings certs.
    Not currently they don't with inflation where it is. Index-linked are great at the moment but you can't currently buy them.

Craftsman

Had the max in for myself and her nibs whilst waiting house purchase, over the year returned just over 4% which was a pleasant surprise.

Got a few ££thousand, and have used them in the past to keep Income Tax which was in dispute.

Had a few £25 wins over the years, sometimes 2 in one month.

The Mrs and I have two to three wins every month, most we ever had was five in a month.

That said it is usually the minimum £25 although I did win a thousand not long ago.

Investment is my hobby and I love stocks and shares but PB's are a bit of fun and if needed could be liquidated quickly without the worry of timing you would have with shares.

Great part of a diversified portfolio.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    I've had about £20k for the past few years and have had about 3% back (I think, not good with maths).

I stuck the money here after spending years making terrible decisions on stocks and shares ISAs, cash ISAs, BRIC managed investment funds and worst of all an ill-advised personal dabble on the stock market that saw me lose about 10 years worth of savings when 3 of the 4 companies I invested in screwed their shareholders.

I appreciate the safety even if the returns are rubbish. I at least know some unscrupulous fund manager or CEO isn't off on his Gin palace blowing all my money up a prostitutes bum hole.

Blog Entries
    Was gifted a £5 bond as a christening present in 1965. Never won a bean. Still, I can get my £5 out in full any time I want.

Got a 1£ one 54 years ago and never won with it lol, hasn’t stopped me lightly adding to it

Craftsman
    I had the max for years.
    Almost without fail I was getting 1% pa give or take £50.
    I've now cashed them in and invested elsewhere. Most experts will advise the same.

Journeyman
    I've been saving £100-£150 a month for seven years or so and only won once, it was quite exciting though as my wife recognised the envelope, was gutted to find it was just £25.

Master
    I bought £500 back in 1997, I've won a total of £125 (2 x £50 and 1 x £25).

Craftsman
    Well no knock at the door yesterday ( v.dissapointed). So I had to wait today to check, I guess it's not going to be a get rich quick scheme.

6 prizes 3 each £175 total.

Roll on next month😂

Well no knock at the door yesterday ( v.dissapointed). So I had to wait today to check, I guess it's not going to be a get rich quick scheme.

6 prizes 3 each £175 total.

Roll on next month
    Isn't that a 2.1% return? I wouldn't complain.

Grand Master
    Best way to invest ready cash IMO, you can get your money back in approx 1 week. I'm getting around 1% return on mine and there's always a chance of winning more.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Best way to invest ready cash IMO, you can get your money back in approx 1 week. I'm getting around 1% return on mine and there's always a chance of winning more.

Paul
    Couldn't agree more.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    The Mrs and I have two to three wins every month, most we ever had was five in a month.

That said it is usually the minimum £25 although I did win a thousand not long ago.

Investment is my hobby and I love stocks and shares but PB's are a bit of fun and if needed could be liquidated quickly without the worry of timing you would have with shares.

Great part of a diversified portfolio.
    Glad I had a bit of spare cash for a purchase of Hgm last month, but your right diversification is the key

David

Craftsman
    Wife and I won 2 x £25 this month, first since May. Over the last year it's been pathetic. Previous years we were winning nearly every month often multiple, but only £25s. But has been said, there's always a chance of a big one.
    Last edited by Nigel306; 3rd September 2017 at 07:06.

I've had four £25 in the last six months but only one win in the previous six months.

Craftsman
    Well as many may have guessed all the bigger prizes are proving elusive at the moment

October we had 6 prizes @ £175 & November 7 prizes @ £175

Roll on next month good luck to all holders.

I have £3k of bonds and won £1k last month. Probably time to cash in...

Master
    Both a lot luckier than me. I had 2 x £25 this month. The most i've had in a while.

Think I need to try the trick of cashing some in and then rebuying in the hope I get some new lucky numbers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Both a lot luckier than me. I had 2 x £25 this month. The most i've had in a while.

Think I need to try the trick of cashing some in and then rebuying in the hope I get some new lucky numbers.
    Lucky numbers? I like the sound of them!!

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    I believe you may find that particular 'trick' will work out luckier for NS&I.

Quote Originally Posted by NS&I website
    When do Bonds go into the draw?

Your Bonds become eligible for the draw one full calendar month after you buy them. So when you buy Bonds in November, they’ll be in every draw from January.
    https://www.nsandi.com/premium-bonds

Master
    The prize fund is increasing from 1.15% pa to 1.4% pa from 1 December.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...base-rate-rise

Blog Entries
    We've had 1,225 this year so far between us. Not bad really for a safe storage haven.

Good to see NS&I mirroring the bank rate rise. Shame some other deposit takers are dragging their feet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Shame ALL other deposit takers are dragging their feet.
    Edited that for you!

Classic bank (and building society) profit management technique from time immemorial. Nothing better for them in the good old days when rates were up and down like the proverbial. When the increases come they will be strangely less than the base rate increase. Near zero interest rates are not ideal when you are trying to increase your interest margin.

I have always had better than "average" luck with them which means of course some poor bugger hasn't.

Master
    Safe gamble that just may pay off!

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    I have always had better than "average" luck with them which means of course some poor bugger hasn't.
    Ha ha that would be me than. Had over £5k in since March and had nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Wife and I have maxed out our allowances and we've been pulling in approx £150 a month the last 6 months and generally a win of some description on most months. We still live in hope of a big win one day. I do wish you could reinvest the winnings back in to premium bonds though.
    Last edited by ~dadam02~; 10th November 2017 at 19:54.

Master
    We invested 30 K and it's pretty much £25 a month.🤑

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    Ha ha that would be me than. Had over £5k in since March and had nothing!
    Ha, that's nothing, early days for you. I've had premium bonds since the very first date of issue and have had absolutely zilch! Then again, I never, EVER, win anything. Some people are lucky that way, me..............
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.