closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Self leveling/building up a floor level?

Master

Self leveling/building up a floor level?

We are just getting a house ready to rent out and have come across a bit of a problem.
    Between the kitchen floor level and the diner floor level there is 15mm difference, one has vinyl covering the other carpet, ( this gets over the difference ), but ideally we want to cover the area in vinyl, ( or something similar ).
    My question is, what's the best way to build up the difference, self-leveling compound, or, board it over and then add a thinner layer of compound.
    I should add that the floor is concrete, I do hope that makes sense.

If the lower floor is concrete and dry, then as you say, a well screwed ply topping then a thin screed of self leveller should suffice so long as you get that vinyl down pronto to save scuffing the levelling compound.

It’s probably too much to self level the whole room so you could ramp it up ,but you could screw 12mm ply down and then a thin layer of self level which would be a better job but more expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The latter will be better.

Better still would be to re- screed the lower floor.

Master
    Could i self level it in stages rather than try and do it in one go.

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Well 12mm of ply leaves 3mm of self leveller - just right for a quick one pour application (providing we're not talking about the Albert Hall here) ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Yes you would need to do this in 2-3 layers if using latex. Get the 2 part stuff as it's much better.

Don't know how big the room is but I've used this before with reasonable success and will do 15mm easily

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Setcrete-Dee...-20kg/p/133780

You can get anhydrite (calcium sulphate) screeds that go down to 15mm now, quick and easy, but depends on the size of the room. The pump cost would be a couple of hundred quid alone.

If the existing concrete is decent enough I would SBR / prime it and lay either a sand / cement or anhydrite screed. I wouldn't use ply and put a thin layer of latex screed over it as the timber will want to move through natural contraction and expansion.

A screed would also take care of any bigger level issues, a thin screed would only give you a couple of mm grace

if you have 15mm level difference though between the rooms, you do have the opportunity to put underfloor heating in (you can get wet 15mm systems) and then cover both rooms with a final covering. just a thought..

I’m a Surveyor and would simply advocate using the right product for the job, a self levelling screed for thick applications; ie, this:-
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/bostik-ce...eep-20kg/5704p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Just to update, decided to use the self levelling product from b&q, it states that it will do between 3-50mm, found it easy to use and finish came out pretty good.
    Thanx for the advice.