closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bringing a 1977 Bulova Accutron Railroad Back To Life

Bringing a 1977 Bulova Accutron Railroad Back To Life

I recently picked up a 1977 Bulova 218 Railroad Approved on eBay.

Listed as a non-worker, replacing the battery brought the watch to life but only when the crown was pulled out.

Having previously used the excellent services of keitht here on TZ, I sent him a PM to see if he could have a look at the watch. Despite being in the throes of moving house, Keith kindly agreed to inspect the watch to see if it could be repaired.

A few days later a PM appeared in my Inbox, in which Keith said that the watch was missing the insert from the battery insulator, the indexing needed adjustment, the stem issue could indeed be fixed and there was some general TLC required to improve the timing.

On returning back home from a business trip last Saturday the watch was waiting for me and is humming away nicely.

Here are some photos of it fitted with its replacement leather strap:

To give an idea of size, here it is next to my 1974 Accuquartz:

And here is the 1973 Stainless Steel model that Keith kindly brought to life before:

As well as the two Accutrons Keith also brought back to life my Heuer 980.004, and for anyone looking for repairs or servicing of an electronic watch I can wholeheartedly recommend his services.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 13th August 2017 at 12:30.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Love the stainless Bulova

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    And here is the 1973 Stainless Steel model that Keith kindly brought to life before:
    Just don't let yonsson see the restoration on that one or you'll get an earful

Those are all lovely, and very off the beaten track (see what I did there? )

Happiness is a hummer humming happily. I must have around 30 tuning fork watches at the last count, love them! The Accutron Railroad is certainly a very characterful model.

Quote Originally Posted by Dm1672 View Post
    Love the stainless Bulova

Me too, it's a stunner!!

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Happiness is a hummer humming happily. I must have around 30 tuning fork watches at the last count, love them! The Accutron Railroad is certainly a very characterful model.
    That's just greedy!

Many thanks all - there is something quite therapeutic about listening the hum of an Accutron.

The stainless steel is model 21518-6W, a Day and Date "BC" that originally retailed for $185. Given inflation that would equate to just over $1,060 today. It's on the original, signed, bracelet. When I originally sent it off to Keith he discovered and corrected a contact issue, and other than a battery change it has performed faultlessly since then.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    So I'm now 10% of the way there Do you have any photos, as I'd love to see them.

Hummers sadly don't seem to get too much attention here.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Hard to believe the Accutron goes back to 1958.
    Amazing invention.
    I have the original repair manual.

Brendan

Craftsman
    Depending on how the day is going when I wear my accutron either the smooth second hand is mesmerising, or the hum gets properly on my nerves...
    Either way an accutron is a super piece of watch history, and I do appreciate it even on the annoying days

Dave

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Hard to believe the Accutron goes back to 1958.
    Amazing invention.
    I have the original repair manual.

Brendan
    Absolutely amazing technology.

I was a little obsessed with them a while back, some interesting stuff on YT about them. Even my Mrs was amazed when I explained the technology and saw my obvious enthusiasm wondering how they can be running so well after all these years and showing her the the little jewels that are buzzing away on the index wheel.

I have however lost mine to her wrist now!

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post

I was a little obsessed with them a while back, some interesting stuff on YT about them. Even my Mrs was amazed when I explained the technology and saw my obvious enthusiasm wondering how they can be running so well after all these years and showing her the the little jewels that are buzzing away on the index wheel.

Haha.
    You shouldn't have bragged about it !! That's what they do.....

Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post

I was obsessed as well, now I have ten of the blighters. Unfortunately, because of my never ending changing tastes, they now sit in a case humming away to themselves and only seeing the light of day, once every couple of months.
    Strange thing is, when I do see them, I almost feel guilty.

My Railroad is sitting on a watch clip on the window ledge in place of a "proper" clock, rather than tucked away in a watch case with the others.

If I concentrate hard I can hear the humming in the background, and watching the smooth, steady, sweep of the second hand can get strangely mesmerising......particularly during long conference calls.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    My Railroad is sitting on a watch clip on the window ledge in place of a "proper" clock, rather than tucked away in a watch case with the others.

If I concentrate hard I can hear the humming in the background, and watching the smooth, steady, sweep of the second hand can get strangely mesmerising......particularly during long conference calls.
    My ex used to moan every time (no change there then) I wore one. She said it was loud and annoying. She could even hear a couple of them in a drawer in a cabinet.