closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tropic strap from SC

Craftsman

Tropic strap from SC

I picked up a new old stock Swiss made Tropic strap from SC. I was taken aback by the cost to be honest, but then I thought an Isofrane isn't exactly cheap so give it a go!

Well it arrived the very next day and I put it on my Shogun. I think it suits the case as it isn't too thick plus the basket weave pattern looks lovely as well.

I did try an Isofrane but it didn't look nice at all.

The Tropic is the most comfortable rubber strap I have worn. The strap is supple, soft and wears really light on wrist. That and the light weight of the Shogun make for a great combination I think.

If you can get hold of one for a reasonable cost I would recommend you give one a try.

Having just bought a new copy of the one you bought on SC, partly inspired by seeing that one, I have to agree. Mine was a very reasonable price but not in the least original and with no branding of course. I don't know if the rubber is a different quality, and mine doesn't smell of vanilla or anything like that, but it is very comfortable.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Having just bought a new copy of the one you bought on SC, partly inspired by seeing that one, I have to agree. Mine was a very reasonable price but not in the least original and with no branding of course. I don't know if the rubber is a different quality, and mine doesn't smell of vanilla or anything like that, but it is very comfortable.
    I dont suppose you could pm me a link of where to buy that strap could you? I would like to compare them side by side and possibly stock up on a couple for my SRP777 and flightmaster.

I much prefer the supple, pliable modern (silicone) tropics to the old stiff, brittle (rubber) ones.

I bought a "similar" looking strap.......it was from watchadoo...

Only cost a tenner I think.

They're for sale all over.

Quote Originally Posted by electorn View Post
    I dont suppose you could pm me a link of where to buy that strap could you? I would like to compare them side by side and possibly stock up on a couple for my SRP777 and flightmaster.
    PM sent. As others have said I think there are plenty around.

Craftsman
    Thanks all, I have ordered a couple at £10 each and will see how they compare. The Tropic I have is really comfy, not stiff or brittle feeling at all.

Sent from my SM-G925F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I much prefer the supple, pliable modern (silicone) tropics to the old stiff, brittle (rubber) ones.
    There's nothing stiff or brittle about a NOS tropic

Mine wasnt from watchadoo............but from watcharama!

Craftsman
    Well the silicone versions arrived. They feel OK on wrist, soft and comfortable but for some reason not as nice as the original. I think its because they wear "warmer" where the original feels nice and cool. Not bad for the price though.

Well the silicone versions arrived. They feel OK on wrist, soft and comfortable but for some reason not as nice as the original. I think its because they wear "warmer" where the original feels nice and cool. Not bad for the price though.

Glad you like them - they look good.

Glad you like them - they look good.
    What is the white faced watch on the right?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robertf View Post
    What is the white faced watch on the right?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    I don't know because they are Electorn's, but it looks like an Orient.

Original tropics...not the stiff knock offs...are the best.

Can't be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by demer03 View Post

Can't be beat.
    I'm sure the originals are the best.

The new ones that Electorn and me just bought are very soft silicone.

I'm sure the originals are the best.

The new ones that Electorn and me just bought are very soft silicone.
    I have those too, and they are better than the cheap Chinese copies. The originals though....seriously, once you've experienced them there's no going back :)

I have those too, and they are better than the cheap Chinese copies. The originals though....seriously, once you've experienced them there's no going back :)
    Thanks, I'll see if I can try one out.

Craftsman
    I don't know because they are Electorn's, but it looks like an Orient.
    Yes indead, orient Bambino.

Also agree the real deal is the way to go. It looks like the Oris Tropic is the same as the original, I will try and find one to compare.

Can't be beat.
    Have to agree. I think the number 1720 is stamped on the lug end - If I am not wrong the 1720s are the originals?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyjohn View Post
    Have to agree. I think the number 1720 is stamped on the lug end - If I am not wrong the 1720s are the originals?
    I don't really know the answer but mine has 21759 on the tip. The code might be a size/style reference?

Last edited by electorn; 26th August 2017 at 07:04.

I've bought three of these recently and so might as well chip in here with my thoughts.
    Having got one of the £10 silicone types, (perfectly fine, albeit quite "floppy" with a slightly tacky texture), I wondered how much better one nearly three times the price would be. Watchgecko do such a version, (£28), and so I thought I'd give one a punt. The answer is they are very different beasts. The more expensive strap is much stiffer, non tacky feeling and has a vanilla scent to it that is quite pleasant. It doesn't attract lint/dust and I liked it that much I bought another for my MM300, (first was for my Turtle). Watchgecko don't say where they source theirs from, but the material feels very similar to a couple of Bonetto Cinturini straps that I have and it crossed my mind that as they stock BC, they may have got them to make a version. I swap the 20mm version between my MM300 and my SMPc and it's definitely a step up in quality from the silicone version, if anyone was wondering.

Rich.

Thanks Rich. Are the Watchgecko ones like the NOS ones referred to earlier? £28 seems like a good price.

Thanks Rich. Are the Watchgecko ones like the NOS ones referred to earlier? £28 seems like a good price.
    This is the strap:
    https://www.watchgecko.com/zuludiver...bber-strap.php

They look much the same as the silicone version, (probably made in an identical pattern of mould/press), but it is the material that is quite different.
    I'll try and take a pic of my MM300/SMPc on it and stick it up here during the week.

Rich

Master
    The watchgecko 20mm tropic only fits up to 7.5 inch wrist so 70/121 not enough for me I'm afraid. The 22mm is longer.

Quote Originally Posted by r1ch View Post
    Watchgecko don't say where they source theirs from, but the material feels very similar to a couple of Bonetto Cinturini straps that I have and it crossed my mind that as they stock BC, they may have got them to make a version.
    Likely. In which case they will be a quality product. I may check one out myself.

Did you know that Italian rubber diver's watch straps are a WatchGecko speciality? Because we’ve worked with suppliers like Bonetto Cinturini for so long, you can be confident of finding the price, style, performance and quality that you deserve.
    Is it a 2mm taper on the 20mm version?

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Is it a 2mm taper on the 20mm version?
    It is Sean, yes - 18mm buckle.
    The 22mm does the same - 20mm buckle.

I couldn't quite get a comfortable fit with the buckle fitted, my ideal fit would have been between holes.
    Consequently I've fitted sports deployants to both of them and using the additional adjustment on the clasp, the fit is perfect.

Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by r1ch View Post
    It is Sean, yes - 18mm buckle.
    The 22mm does the same - 20mm buckle.

I couldn't quite get a comfortable fit with the buckle fitted, my ideal fit would have been between holes.
    Consequently I've fitted sports deployants to both of them and using the additional adjustment on the clasp, the fit is perfect.

Rich.
    Cool, thanks. I have an 18mm deployant awaiting a new strap.

Just a footnote about the silicone versions from Cousins at £2.50 a pop. I don't doubt they're not a patch on the WatchGecko ones but have found them to be excellent considering the price - the slight tackiness and lint-attraction soon disappears (especially if washed first with hand soap). They are a little short though and only take 1.5mm spring bars. Other than that very light and very comfy.

It's a shame that WG didn't go the whole hog and make a homage to the original with a single keeper to match the strap patterning. Missed opportunity I think.

Craftsman
    I have ordered one of these to see how it compares to the Swiss.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TROPIC-typ...QAAOSwpRRWnmTM

19mm but I can soon sort that with a couple of O rings. It looks the business to me.

Craftsman
    The ebay strap arrived. I must say, considering that it is half the price of an original tropic, there is nothing to complain about. Feels almost as nice on wrist, just a tiny bit of extra stiffness and thats all I can say really. Looks great as well. I have got my Shogun on the real deal, Flightmaster on the ebay "almost Tropic" and the Orient on the silicone variant.

To be completely honest, the ebay "almost Tropic" is the way to go. The only thing I don't know is how long they will last.

Sorry if there is any wrist sludge visible, eyesight is a bit dodgy today.

I have this original rubber Tropic 2000 flat vent model in 20mm. Very comfortable.

just ordered a couple of these "Tropic style" from the bay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/14248...326&rmvSB=true

selller claims: "NOS and Europe", but lets see when they arrive if they just are Asian silicone. I have an original to compare with and will give an update as soon as they arrive.

Craftsman
    They look to be the proper material, good price as well. I might jump on one as well, thanks or the link.

Quote Originally Posted by longbear View Post
    just ordered a couple of these "Tropic style" from the bay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/14248...326&rmvSB=true

selller claims: "NOS and Europe", but lets see when they arrive if they just are Asian silicone. I have an original to compare with and will give an update as soon as they arrive.

They look to be the proper material, good price as well. I might jump on one as well, thanks or the link.
    these are not too bad for the price and I actually think they where vintage, based on the Verdigris I found on the buckle and springbar that attach the buckle.

buckle side = 7cm, hole side = 12, buckle 16mm thin/cheap aluminium. Rubber seems to be same type as the original Tropic although somewhat thinner why the "Tropic style" is a little more strechy and fllexible. The hole for the springbars was large enough for my favorite 2mm shoulderless bars, so none of the fitting problems reported my others around the web when fitting the newer silicone Tropics. In the shots below the original Tropic (a 22mm) is in top of the pictures.

And then fitted to one of Eddie's finest

Craftsman
    Looks great longbear, thanks for the photos and comparison. I have the seller saved for the next time I need one.

Craftsman
    I do like my Tropics, I have been converted!

- - - Updated - - -

Correct. The 1720s are the originals and they are a beautiful soft rubber and are nothing like the later Tropics and especially those made in China. To get one now (in NOS condition and they are out there) will cost around £75 easy. They are very desirable and collectible.

I made this post on another thread about the reissue Tropics. They are great straps, the originals, just hard to find an pricey. Hence my little research but I thought it worthwhile as there seem to be a number of new(ish) Tropic style straps out there.

Uncle Seiko has very good reviews and seems closest to the original from USA at $39
    https://www.uncleseiko.com/store/p83...ous_Sizes.html

The TROPIC Watch Strap revamped by JOSEPH BONNIE from France at €35
    http://www.josephbonnie.com/en/blog/...trap-silicone/

and then our own Watch Gecko by Bonetto Cinturrini at £28

https://www.watchgecko.com/zuludiver...bber-strap.php

Very good comparison of the Uncle Seiko and Watch Gecko here http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/unc...w-4567389.html

I think the Uncle Seiko is the pick of the bunch, but I fear at $39 +$13 shipping, VAT and PO handling fee is likely to make it quite expensive. Pity.

i like the blue from France but silicone is cheap so i don't know how they will do overtime

Quote Originally Posted by DimGR View Post
    i like the blue from France but silicone is cheap so i don't know how they will do overtime
    Often wondered about the longevity of silicone myself.

Often wondered about the longevity of silicone myself.
    I would hope it would have lasted until now
    February 2018 was quite a long time ago though