closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Eurotunnel- getting expensive.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Eurotunnel- getting expensive.

We have used Eurotunnel for years, the price for 2 of us and the motorbike has always been around 21-24 quid, I tried recently to book a one way ticket from Calais to Folkestone and they wanted 79 and a flexi ticket was 139!!, I had a look at the ferry crossing same time same day and it was 32 quid, seems they are pricing themselves out the market.
    i will use the extra hour to have a beer and relax.

mike

It's the market innit.
    I always chose the tunnel rather than the ferry. A late booking a couple of years ago with a Land Rover with stuff on the roof at half term meant we were forced to use the ferry and it just reminded me why we prefer the tunnel. You'd think the ferry would be a more attractive option with the option to leave the car (or bike in your case) have a comfy seat and a brew etc but it just seemed slower and more disorganised. Given the choice of tunnel at £79 and ferry at £32, I personally would still go for the tunnel.

Living nearby and working in the industry have taught me that the shit hits the fan in the tunnel on a very regular basis. Of course, this comes on top of the blockages in France that will often affect both.
    Having used the tunnel extensively, over the last year the average crossing time (including the wait on departure) have proved broadly similar (10 minutes faster than P&O). The challenge is to travel unsocial hours to avoid families with feral kids.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I agree the deals seems to have dried up, but this is perhaps a measure of popularity, convenience and of course time.

I paid £81 for a long-weekend return in June which seemed a lot more than the £29 offers of a few years back, but still a better option than a knackered old ferry.

Blog Entries
    The ferry gives me a break (3 1/2 hours from Leicestershire)…. It feels like I'm off on holiday watching the iconic white cliffs disapear

The Eurotunnel is not massively cheaper and not a massively pleasant experience…

The fact that it's cheaper is a bonus too!

Master
    I was pricing it up a couple of days ago for a coach and the tunnel works out cheaper, for the days and times I was looking at.
    When you have a coach load of kids time and ease are key, controlling 150 8-10 year olds on a ferry seems like a nightmare.

That's why they invented Calpol.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    We drive across to the Alps every winter with the dogs, they prefer the tunnel! We can sit in the car with them and it's all quite dog friendly. It seems more expensive than the ferry for the longer trips (£250 for our car), but overall easier.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Bring back the hovercraft. I used to love arriving in Dover 15 minutes before I left Calais!

Craftsman
    Always use my Tesco points. Not paid for a tunnel crossing for years.

Hovercraft was fun but very noisy and a bit hit and miss as very weather-dependent.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Bring back the hovercraft. I used to love arriving in Dover 15 minutes before I left Calais!
    One of my regrets is never having been on one of the Mountbatten class hovercraft, fascinating gas turbine powered monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by baz1 View Post
    Always use my Tesco points. Not paid for a tunnel crossing for years.
    Yes but you've had to shop in Tesco, that would make me need another holiday.

I guess it also depends how far you are going once you reach France (or how far ypu have driven in England to arrive)

I travelled in July and paid £129 outward on a Friday morning and £89 return late Friday night

I was driving to Italy /Slovenia so wanted to do it in a day

Like someone above posted we use Tesco points for our outward fare. We always come back with flexiplus as the French side is invariably chaos and it allows queue jumping and no stress about arrival time when driving all the way from the Alps. Can't use Tesco points for flexiplus though. We've been using Eurotunnel 3 or 4 times a year for 15 years and what we've noticed more than the fares, which I think are still good vs the ferry, is how every year it gets busier and busier. Perhaps the fares need to rise to reduce demand a bit.

I think it's still worth the money for the time/convenience. However, that said; I do miss the old Speedferries Catamaran or Vomit Comet as it was affectionately named.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Hovercraft was fun but very noisy and a bit hit and miss as very weather-dependent.
    In a drive from Manchester to Colmar in the Riley, the hovercraft introduced a rare moment of luxury.

In a drive from Manchester to Colmar in the Riley, the hovercraft introduced a rare moment of luxury.

20 years ago it was still running (and the trains from Ashford to London were still of the slam door type ) but we enjoyed it as well... however when the 3rd crossing (out of 4 that year) was cancelled due to sea conditions and we were sent to Dover again for the ferry we decided we'd save time by booking the ferry directly. Plus, duty free was still on at the time

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Same thing the classic motorbikes we rode in those days.
    Went on it several times and it never ceased to amaze how fast it was. Beat flying hands down AND you had your own wheels.

I cannot handle the tunnel nor the way one is treated like a criminal by airport security so the ferry it is. Good thing it will probably a long time. if ever, that I will go visit the UK again. The ferries accross the Gibraltar straight are a lot more modern and Morocco more appealing.

Not really occurred to me until reading this thread - but not sure I'd fancy using the tunnel with the current terror activity at either end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    Like someone above posted we use Tesco points for our outward fare. We always come back with flexiplus as the French side is invariably chaos and it allows queue jumping and no stress about arrival time when driving all the way from the Alps. Can't use Tesco points for flexiplus though. We've been using Eurotunnel 3 or 4 times a year for 15 years and what we've noticed more than the fares, which I think are still good vs the ferry, is how every year it gets busier and busier. Perhaps the fares need to rise to reduce demand a bit.
    Out of interest do you know what flexibility is built into the standard ticket?

I was an hour late on my outward journey due to a bad crash on the M20, the automated check in out me on the next train. Similarly coming back I arrived an hour early and got on the next train too

Journeyman
    Really depends on how busy it is when you are travelling.
    If I'm travelling outside of school holidays I wouldn't bother with a flexiplus return.
    In school holidays its worth the extra to avoid the hassle

Quote Originally Posted by Pubdweller View Post
    Out of interest do you know what flexibility is built into the standard ticket?

I was an hour late on my outward journey due to a bad crash on the M20, the automated check in out me on the next train. Similarly coming back I arrived an hour early and got on the next train too
    They are reasonably flexible within a few hours. I believe that if you are 24 hours late your standard ticket is void. In school holidays you could have a long wait on the French side if you miss your scheduled train. Our trip is always to/from the Alps where we have an apartment and always in school holidays. We've had summer trips where storms have hit the mountains so we have decided to head home a few days early. Flexiplus is worth the extra for us but if I was retired/travelling outside school holidays I wouldn't bother.

Thanks for the feedback chaps

One thing I've learnt is that if you"re crossing the Alps from Austria to Italy at the weekend (especially Friday night) expect 30 minute plus queues to refuel at petrol stations as it seems the entire population of Austria is heading to the Italian coast!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pubdweller View Post
    Thanks for the feedback chaps

One thing I've learnt is that if you"re crossing the Alps from Austria to Italy at the weekend (especially Friday night) expect 30 minute plus queues to refuel at petrol stations as it seems the entire population of Austria is heading to the Italian coast!
    Also the lakes it seems. I have just come back from Lake Garda and I was surprised how many Austrian registered cars were around the area.

Noisy though as I remember. Used it once and it was interesting.

The tunnel had not been reliable for me recently. I'm sure if you compare my last few journeys I'd have been just as quick on the ferry.

I prefer the train experience but the price differential if hard to justify when you can't back on them being on time.

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    They are reasonably flexible within a few hours. I believe that if you are 24 hours late your standard ticket is void.
    We 've turned up a day late but I guess it will have been just under the 24hours. I simply got the day wrong when I booked it so we rolled up relaxed at ~8:30am Sunday for a train at 1000ish only to be told we were booked on the day before. "Oh no we're not!" said I, "here see this booking... Ah... may I have some pommes frites avec mon humble pie..." This was half term coming back from skiing so the French side was absolutely rammed but they got us on one about 3 hours later.

We travelled out on Weds morning this week and it was really quiet. Literally no queue to check in. No option to get on an earlier train but we left the car park pretty quickly when called and they kept waving us through so we ended up on the train before the planned one.

We are in the Alps now and travelled last Saturday on a 9am crossing. We expected hell but while it was busy, it flowed and we got on our booked train exactly as expected. We were warned that the drive to the Alps would also be extremely busy as it was also a bank holiday weekend in France. It was better than just about any weekend on any UK motorways! Admittedly we took the scenic route into the Alps from Dijon and gave Lyon a wide swerve.

I used to travel weekly to Paris for work. Ferry is nice if you have the time, but a pain in bad weather, especially when they end up strapping the cars down!
    The comments on getting an earlier/later train is accurate. Late for the ferry and it's game over.
    I'd always pay more for the tunnel, as it's worth it.
    It is worth checking the price in the high vehicles vs. Regular vehicles, as in times of high demand, it can make the price cheaper, or at least did a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    Depends how long I have until destination after I exit on the other side. If I'm going to be driving for over 6hrs then it has to be via chunnel, below I'd say chunnel too but ferry would also be acceptable.

I actually prefer the ferry before a long drive, usually very early and a solid breakfast in the Brasserie.
    They don't have the kippers they used to have though, shame as they were truly excellent.
    But getting out of the car and stretching the legs is good.