closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex bezel insert changing

Rolex bezel insert changing

Guys, I have read numerous times that some people have multiple bezel inserts, like a coke and a Pepsi.
    How easy are they to change, is it something you could do whenever the mood takes you like, I fancy changing my now and then back again tomorrow, easy?
    I have a tt gmt and quite fancy a rootbeer bezel just to add a different look.
    So is it a case of bezel off then just pushing out and back in, or more involved? What do you use to remove the bezel and is it going to wear out, bend or break with repeated removal and refit.

I find YouTube a good source for questions like this with the beauty being you can see them doing it.

Looks like bracelet removal is optional

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just be very careful when removing and replacing the bezel assembly, it's VERY easy to put little dents in the lug where you are working the bezel off with the bezel tool knife. I think it's also possible to remove the bezel insert without taking off the bezel assembly if you don't mind the chance of damaging the insert already in there.

Master
    Removing the bezel is straight forward, or so I have been told, the awkward but is replacing it.

Why risk buggering up a valuable watch just to save yourself a tener. Take it in to a Rolex agent, they have the tooling and they won't scratch the watch which you probably will.

After you have replaced the bezel, you will be back here asking how to remove scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I find YouTube a good source for questions like this with the beauty being you can see them doing it.
    David's post prompted me to look for that comedy YouTube video of the butcher (complete with missing finger) prising off the bezel on his SMP with a butter knife prior to gluing on a fake insert. Disappointed to see it's been taken down.

Are the bezel inserts an interference fit or do you use the insert sticky rings like on Seiko bezels.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    David's post prompted me to look for that comedy YouTube video of the butcher (complete with missing finger) prising off the bezel on his SMP with a butter knife prior to gluing on a fake insert. Disappointed to see it's been taken down.
    I remember it vividly, there are some things you cannot forget!

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    [...]So is it a case of bezel off then just pushing out and back in, or more involved? What do you use to remove the bezel and is it going to wear out, bend or break with repeated removal and refit.
    Yes, it's essentially that easy.

I find that a guitar pick is brilliant for removing the bezel assembly without marking the case; avoid using metal. The insert pops out easily enough once the bezel is free, but the installation can be tricky. What works for me is to put the empty bezel ring on the case first so it's supported against bending and there's more to grip — this is also the technique that my Rolex-certified watchmaker friend uses. The insert can be lined up precisely this way if it's an indexed model, too.

The only part that requires much finesse is getting the insert in place without bending or marking it. Using a flexible plastic cylinder makes it easy; you simply roll it around the rim while applying a bit of pressure until it clicks in. The best tool I've found for this is the clear case for a lens filter, which I also use to hold my spare inserts, but anything with a bit of give will do.

I've done it dozens of times on different GMTs and Submariners over the years with no apparent ill effects, but it probably isn't a good idea to change inserts daily or anything. Hope this helps. :)

Jocke's guide is a good place to start:

http://www.watchwallpapers.com/bezel.html

As mentioned above, be careful to mask the lug well when easing the bezel off, I use two layers of duct tape and have never incurred any damage at all.

The bezel inserts are a pressure fit, no sticking required.

Like with all these things there is a knack but with patience it is eminently straight forward, both removing the bezel + insert and then reassembly.

Obviously the suggestions above that involve damaging the incumbent insert, or going to a Rolex dealer, will not deliver against your desired purpose of switching between inserts at will. It is a straightforward exercise, with practise, but worth considering that excessively frequent swapping will eventually cause wear of the bezel and the ring onto which it locates.

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Jocke's guide is a good place to start:[...]
    That's one way to do it, but it's so much easier and safer to use a guitar pick and put the bezel ring in place first instead of messing around with knives and table edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    That's one way to do it, but it's so much easier and safer to use a guitar pick and put the bezel ring in place first instead of messing around with knives and table edges.
    Haha ok yes, there are different ways. But Jocke's guide is good to illustrate the fundamentals of how the different components fit together and function.

We all develop our own preferred ways of working but it's good to appreciate the options up front. And anyway, I usually have a plethora of bladed instruments from which to choose, but quite an absence of guitar picks!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Thanks....that guy did the job uber-fast!

Master
    Wow that guy is fast, I won't use a knife tho scratch the hell out of my lugs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Yes, it's essentially that easy.

I find that a guitar pick is brilliant for removing the bezel assembly without marking the case; avoid using metal. The insert pops out easily enough once the bezel is free, but the installation can be tricky. What works for me is to put the empty bezel ring on the case first so it's supported against bending and there's more to grip — this is also the technique that my Rolex-certified watchmaker friend uses. The insert can be lined up precisely this way if it's an indexed model, too.

The only part that requires much finesse is getting the insert in place without bending or marking it. Using a flexible plastic cylinder makes it easy; you simply roll it around the rim while applying a bit of pressure until it clicks in. The best tool I've found for this is the clear case for a lens filter, which I also use to hold my spare inserts, but anything with a bit of give will do.

I've done it dozens of times on different GMTs and Submariners over the years with no apparent ill effects, but it probably isn't a good idea to change inserts daily or anything. Hope this helps. :)
    Late, but just wanted to say thanks for this. The table and cloth method was doing absolutely nothing but cause sore thumbs. Tried the whole roll a bit of plastic around it (in my case it was a cylinder that screws onto the bottom of an Ikea tv cabinet and rests on the floor to stop it bending) and it took seconds. Mine had no give though, but worked a charm.

^
    No problem; glad to hear that you found it of use. And the flex doesn't matter, it's just good to use a type of plastic that's not hard enough to leave marks; the Ikea bit is probably perfect.

Here's that filter case I mentioned; for me, it works great to gently work the insert in place. Having the inserts and a few guitar picks inside is pretty handy, too.

The process is quite painless with a bit of practice, as I'm sure you've discovered.

Apprentice
    ^ .

Using a plectrum is a brilliant idea!
    I wrap my tool in electrical tape to stop scratching, but a plectrum is even safer.

Where do you get your bezel inserts from?

Thanks,
    Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Well I have to say, went to a guitar shop today and bought a handful of plectrums, £2.50 total.
    Picked the right thickness that when pushed between the bezel and case it just lifted the bezel, rolled it round the case and off it popped, 5 seconds, how easy and no scratches at all.
    Pushed insert out, pushed empty bezel back onto the case, lined up the insert and eased it back in, used the handle of a cleaning toothbrush and it clicked into place no drama.
    So simple and no marks, result.

Picked the right thickness
    Do tell :)

Master
    Not sure if I would admit to that on an open forum 😉😉😉

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

It's the old adage, size matters

Rolex bezel insert changing

Genuinely interested as I was going to opt for the 2.0mm. This is my best guess at what would work so I'd be glad to learn from your experience.

To be honest I'm not sure what size, when in the guitar shop they had a tray with must have been 50 plus different ones, so bought five different thicknesses and just tried each one till it worked, I can measure if you like but at 50p each I'm sure different watches will need different thicknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Genuinely interested as I was going to opt for the 2.0mm. This is my best guess at what would work so I'd be glad to learn from your experience.
    Just checked, was a 0.75mm I used. Even a 1mm was really difficult to insert (ooh missus)

Master
    Should have wrapped it in electrical tape first........

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Just checked, was a 0.75mm I used. Even a 1mm was really difficult to insert (ooh missus)
    Good to know - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barkington View Post
    Using a plectrum is a brilliant idea!
    I wrap my tool in electrical tape to stop scratching, but a plectrum is even safer.

Where do you get your bezel inserts from?

Thanks,
    Adrian
    Thanks; definitely works for me. :)

As far as the inserts go, they're from all over the place; some are original to the watches, others are through friends, and the rest are from just being patient and seeing what comes up on different forums.

Though if you want a fresh service insert, by far the easiest and least-expensive option is just to get one directly from a dealer with a Rolex parts account. I just sourced a new bezel assembly fitted with a black insert for the LV that way, which changes up the look and gives the original "flat-four" one an occasional rest.

Though I must say that I vastly prefer the green option for this watch.

Master
    I just used a Swiss army knife. Not a single issue or scratch. Tiny but of pressure and pop, then just use fingernails to pry it off.