closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex AD discount?

Hybrid View

Rolex AD discount?

Hi
    My wife is looking for a SS 34mm Rolex 114200 oyster with grape colour dial, we've tried looking for a pre owned one with no success.
    i have been trying to negotiate with a local AD and the best I can squeeze is 5% with a few corporate freebies thrown in.
    My question... is this the best I can expect to achieve as I believe Rolex don't allow discounting on SS models and 5% is the max the AD can allow.
    Any thoughts, experiences, 'heads up' appreciated.

Change of plan now, no longer looking.
    Last edited by rdwiow; 9th November 2017 at 19:18.

Master
    You should get more than that on a ladies DJ.

Speak to our very own Haywoodmilton - I'm sure he could give you helpful advice.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    You should get more than that on a ladies DJ.

Speak to our very own Haywoodmilton - I'm sure he could give you helpful advice.
    I doubt any AD would give you a serious discount. They could lose their agency. If you want a new one, just buy it and get on with life. I am sure your wife would prefer a nice new watch.

As it is a 34mm dateless oyster, and not a 'sports' model with the long waiting lists, I had hoped for more than 5%
    Hopefully Haywood will be along with some pointers.
    Thanks

Master
    It's now the 114300 and you won't get much discount, no. I have one in but there is little margin in it. List is £4,150 and I think the best you could hope for might be £3,800 if you didn't use a credit card. You may well feel that the AD extras are worth the small difference.

If the 5% offered was not specified as subject to a particular method of payment, it is worth asking about a final "chip" for paying by debit card. As retailers we might lose 1% in card fees on a credit card, so could they pass that saving to you? If they would have taken Amex, your bargaining chip with a debit card is all the greater!

H

Thanks Haywood

No, it is definitely the 114200 34 mm case oyster non date, the RRP is £3700.
    The 5% discount isn't payment method specific, so would be paying with our credit card with 0.5% cashback, unless they will pass a larger saving onto us for using our debit card, would have to ask them.

Thanks
    R

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    It's now the 114300 and you won't get much discount, no. I have one in but there is little margin in it. List is £4,150 and I think the best you could hope for might be £3,800 if you didn't use a credit card. You may well feel that the AD extras are worth the small difference.

If the 5% offered was not specified as subject to a particular method of payment, it is worth asking about a final "chip" for paying by debit card. As retailers we might lose 1% in card fees on a credit card, so could they pass that saving to you? If they would have taken Amex, your bargaining chip with a debit card is all the greater!

H
    Haywood ,

You say there is little margin in that paticular watch , am I right in thinking the margins vary from watch to watch or do Rolex group them for your trade discount ?

Steel watches less *% off list

Bi metal watches less ** off list

Gold watches less ***off list and so on.

Clearly I'm not asking what % you get off , but just to satisfy my curiosity more than anything else.

Regards

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

Just curious - doesn't your merchant agreement specify that you can't offer different prices for cash, debit, and credit cards?

Master
    I think watches of wales might have one of these with a grape dial

^ HM ist not a Rolex AD.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Simple test; if Rolex ADs are offering 10% on basic stainless steel models, they are doing the same as Omega et al. Second hand prices would then fall just like Omega et al. You can't discount and defend used prices.
    One or the other, not both. And that's why Rolex defends retail prices so fiercely. It is the true test of a luxury brand. If you discount, you become another commodity.
    Just look on SC to see the truth of that.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Simple test; if Rolex ADs are offering 10% on basic stainless steel models, they are doing the same as Omega et al. Second hand prices would then fall just like Omega et al. You can't discount and defend used prices. One or the other, not both. And that's why Rolex defends retail prices so fiercely. It is the true test of a luxury brand. If you discount, you become another commodity. Just look on SC to see the truth of that.
    Bottom line and end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Simple test; if Rolex ADs are offering 10% on basic stainless steel models, they are doing the same as Omega et al. Second hand prices would then fall just like Omega et al. You can't discount and defend used prices.
    One or the other, not both. And that's why Rolex defends retail prices so fiercely. It is the true test of a luxury brand. If you discount, you become another commodity.
    Just look on SC to see the truth of that.
    No! Rolex do not have to discount on certain SS models, like most of the Professional range - but that doesn't stand true for all SS models, which have always been available with a discount. Plus certain buyers would get a discount on ANY model, as they are that important a customer to the AD, and the AD knows they wouldn't bloody flip the watch either.

Omega AD's will discount a lot more than 10% in my long buying experience.
    It's just a matter of time...