closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another Limited Edition CW

Another Limited Edition CW

Is there a piece of scrap metal included?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Indeed there is!

M

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I quite like it.

Don't get the hate for CW on here. Has everyone bought one at full price, then got upset when there was a sale on or something?

Looks really nice. Maybe a bit big for that style of watch, but that's my personal opinion. My Oris is a 43mm but it looks right at that size - I'd have to try this on to properly judge.

Don't get the CW negativity either, although I think it's a bit self perpetuating - I see more people saying 'why do people 'hate' them' than people actually 'hating' them.

As far as I'm concerned, they're innovative, well priced and nicely made. I'd have one.

Master
    Make it 39mm, lose the logo and other text and I like that a lot.

Surely Eddie can knock something out like that for a grand or 2 if adding a piece of seat back tray table from an Aeroflot plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    ...if adding a piece of seat back tray table from an Aeroflot plane.
    made me lol

Master
    Not my thing, but seems ok. Yes, it has an ETA movement, but the movement itself is around £450 - £500, so, case, strap, LE scrap mental, marketing etc, it's not bad on price

All a bit Franklin Mint for me and for some reason I just feel that Bremont do these Franklin Mint watches better!

Certainly not going to spend over £2500 on a CW quite yet even though their designs and quality have improved immensely over the years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    All a bit Franklin Mint for me and for some reason I just feel that Bremont do these Franklin Mint watches better!

Certainly not going to spend over £2500 on a CW quite yet even though their designs and quality have improved immensely over the years
    Precisely. Bremont are the epitome of "price something high enough, and people will want to buy it".

Craftsman
    if it was smaller, like 41mm at most without the logo.. it would be a winner.

I dig the laser etched map of london on the back too. that's cool.

overall design is quite nice.

I like it and the story behind it's inspiration. Just a hair big for my tastes tho. Have owned 5 Ch Wards over the years, all were accurate, superbly finished and a little different from the herd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    I quite like it.

Don't get the hate for CW on here. Has everyone bought one at full price, then got upset when there was a sale on or something?
    For me quite the opposite, I have bought them in the past at good prices, what annoys me is the constant sales devaluing the watches in the first place. There are CW watches I would buy now but what would be the point when in 6 months time I could get them at a 50% discount?

Back to the watch in question though, I really like it the only down side being the size of the watch as others have said. The London map is an excellent touch the dial looks pretty good only the price seems a little steep and I don't know much about the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    the dial looks pretty good only the price seems a little steep.
    2.5k. 'a little steep'?

I liked it. Until I a) saw the price and b) read the Franklin mint sales pitch.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I actually like quite a few Carpet Warehouse watches but even at the sales (real) price, I'm not sure that would be worth the money.

Craftsman
    Not keen
    Looks like the kind of think our host could do but I venture to suggest Mr. Platts would do it
    -a lot better/cleaner looking
    -better sense of history (more authentic?)
    -about a fifth of the CW price.

Bremont look and vibe without the Bremont price...whats not to like? Priced about right for a "premium" watch of this type.

Apprentice
    thats a very nice piece indeed

Craftsman
    I like the sentiment, I think if anyone has a relative that was in the RAF in WWII it would be a nice remembrance piece.

Eddie did a much better job with the Black Shadow for under £500

Craftsman
    Don't hate it, but as others have said I'm not sure about the price

Fun idea, but at 2.5k you need to be an aspirational brand, and iMHO CW are a long, long way from that. Once the brand saga has finally settled and they aren't seen as a Sunday supplement advertiser then they'll be on the way. Which I hope they do. Would be great it they become as respected and desired as other similarly priced brands.

Craftsman
    I'm not keen on this particular watch. Aesthetically, it isn't particularly appealing to me, and the price tag? £2500? I've not actually read the specs but I'm assuming that's in house?

In general though, I think people should really form their own opinions on CW watches.

I've seen people on here slate them and then admit they've never even handled or seen one in the flesh. When they've been called out they come up with lame excuses like "sales every other week devalues the brand". Well let's be honest, brands like Seiko do this right off the bat by putting a £400 price tag on a watch that is then sold all around the globe for anywhere between £200-£300 and I've seen most brands on sale price at one point or another over the years.

Another good one is the fake history argument.

This is true, but no more so than Smiths and a lot less so than Bremont, who really, really, push it on that front. In fact, Id go further and say that Bremont are no better at making watches than CW. Their watches are fine and if I could afford one right now and I loved the look of it, I'd buy, but they're no better put together than CW and CW are much more innovative when it comes to in house movements.

In the interest of balance though, I would say that they're not the perfect brand (none are).

The one thing that may stop me from buying the Trident is the fact that they are now on their second re-branding. I think the current one is the best because it's lost the weird multi font, cram anything on a dial that will sell, look. Why they previously felt the need to put London on their dials whilst maintaining no connection with London at all is a mystery to me. That said though, how much cooler would it be if they were Ward Watches with the Swiss/English flag as their logo.

The original mission of bringing Swiss quality to the masses with affordable prices is also long gone now, but at least the quality and innovation has stepped up with the price increases. There's not many brands that can boast that.
    Last edited by coldwarkid; 11th August 2017 at 23:06.

Quote Originally Posted by coldwarkid View Post
    I'm not keen on this particular watch. Aesthetically, it isn't particularly appealing to me, and the price tag? £2500? I've not actually read the specs but I'm assuming that's in house?

In general though, I think people should really form their own opinions on CW watches.

I've seen people on here slate them and then admit they've never even handled or seen one in the flesh. When they've been called out they come up with lame excuses like "sales every other week devalues the brand". Well let's be honest, brands like Seiko do this right off the bat by putting a £400 price tag on a watch that is then sold all around the globe for anywhere between £200-£300 and I've seen most brands on sale price at one point or another over the years.

Another good one is the fake history argument.

This is true, but no more so than Smiths and a lot less so than Bremont, who really, really, push it on that front. In fact, Id go further and say that Bremont are no better at making watches than CW. They're watches are fine and if I could afford one right now and I loved the look of it, I'd buy, but they're no better put together than CW and CW are much more innovative when it comes to in house movements.

In the interest of balance though, I would say that they're not the perfect brand (none are).

The one thing that may stop me from buying the Trident is the fact that they are now on their second re-branding. I think the current one is the best because it's lost the weird multi font, cram anything on a dial that will sell, look. Why they previously felt the need to put London on their dials whilst maintaining no connection with London at all is a mystery to me. That said though, how much cooler would it be if they were Ward Watches with the Swiss/English flag as their logo.

The original mission of bringing Swiss quality to the masses with affordable prices is also long gone now, but at least the quality and innovation has stepped up with the price increases. There's not many brands that can boast that.
    Some good points.

I checked up on the movement it appears to be an ETA movement that's quite new to the stable, its designed specifically for larger watches.

Christopher Ward don't have any fake history, made up history or acquired history. They are pretty clear about how they started and the three guys who started the company are still there including the bloke whose name is on the company.

I questioned the price because I didn't know about the movement, Bremont sell their entry level watches at the same price Christopher Ward sell their own bespoke watches with their own in house or modified movements in them. They do currently have on their logo some kind of mix of the Swiss/English flag as they are now something of an "Anglo/Swiss" company.

CW make fairly decent watches and I was pleasantly surprised when I got one.
    To be fair,Bremont quality is several notches above. As well as their designs. I wouldn't compare them.
    This one looks pretty interesting.
    43mm is a decent size.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 11th August 2017 at 23:23.

Some nice design elements in the watch, but it's not a brand I'm eager to try - I've handled enough of them, and the £1k-£2.5k market is packed with better buys imho. A Tudor or an Omega SMP, or a CW hmmm let me think
    It's just a matter of time...