closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heuer Autavia and SOTC

Master

Heuer Autavia and SOTC

After selling a couple of watches to raise funds, I received the new Heuer Autavia earlier this week. I've been wearing it for a few days so I thought I'd share my opinions and I believe this is the first "live" photos of it on this forum.

I'll start with some photos first (not the best but you get the idea)

I was one of those who missed out on the Speedy Tuesday, and I've always loved a panda (or reverse panda) style Chronograph. This style, and Chronographs in general is just my style of watch! The minute counters is what turns a lot of purists off, but I don't use it even with my love of Chronographs. I know TAGs in general don't receive a lot of love on this forum and I was one of them who felt the same about the brand (especially models from 2010 onwards) but at the price, along with the style and the movement, it ticked a lot of boxes for me.

It uses TAG's new in house automatic Chronograph that they call the "Heuer 02". It has an 80 hour power reserve and I have timed so far at around +4 a day. It's not a chronometer graded movement and they don't claim any timekeeping in the instructions, but so far so good. On the wrist it has a very similar feel and sound to the 7750 with it's wobble.

The Chronograph buttons feel solid and assuring. There is no doubt as you feel the click of the button engage, unlike others I have used. It's not quite a pleasure as pressing the buttons on the Speedy Pro, but it's not too far behind.

The bezel action feels nice and solid. It feels very similar to the PRS-82 or the Black Bay ETA. Definitely stiffer than any SMP (pre co axial) that I've owned.

Onto the much discussed size issue. I have a 6.75 inch wrist but after trying it on at an AD when it first launched I thought it was at the very limit of what my wrists could handle (generally around 52mm lug to lug). I've owned a couple of MM300s and also an IWC 3717 so this being at 42mm diameter I think the size is acceptable on me. With us being WIS - a part of us has to accept that the brands are always going to make larger cases than we would like. Would I have preferred it to stay true to the original at circa 40mm? Of course, but I'm just glad they haven't done what Breitling usually do and make their models (that I really like the look of) too large. The Chronoliner and new Navitmer are prime examples. In the wrist shot below it looks much larger than it does in real life. I'm not sure why but I can't explain it!

Now onto the thickness. It is quite a chunky piece indeed. But I've owned a Sinn 103 LE which sits even higher, and that was 40mm, so the proportions in the thickness didn't really match the size for me. The Autavia has a slightly better balance.

And finally the bracelet. I wasn't a fan of the leather strap, and it wasn't much more to buy it on the bracelet, so this is the option I went for. In all honesty it's too shiny on the bracelet, and I much prefer it on leather, especially on the custom 21mm rallye style strap that Pav79 made for me (massive thanks Pavel!). If there was a better strap option, such as the black rallye on the Heuer deployant that comes with the new Carrera's, I would have went for that instead. For now it will just have to go with a Heuer buckle that I've sourced. What do you think of the different strap options below? At 21mm it's not easy to find straps.

Overall I am very impressed. Whether or not it's a keeper who knows, but it's going to take some beating! It sits very nicely in my collection. I've joined his forum a while ago now, but I've never posted a SOTC. I didn't have the courage or the stability in my collection to do it until now. I've bought, sold and met a few members here too. Finally I feel quite happy with my collection. I've thought about selling the Bell & Ross that I bought recently from the forum, but I wanted a white dial Chronograph tool/Sinn kind of look so that's staying for now.

As you can see I love my Chronographs! The reason for the SMP GMT is because I also love a blue dial (especially a wave type!) and needed a GMT so that option was a no brainer! Also below are some size comparison shots against the two Omegas.

Nice post and nice watch. I've been thinking about one of these too but am swaying towards a blue Pelagos. Talk to Giuliano about him making you a strap, I have a few of this style in 19mm and 20mm on Autavias (it also works on Seiko chronos):

http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/...=read;id=59929

He'll be able to knock up a 21mm version for you no problem, and can do different styles too.

Here are some more big hole straps:

https://omegaforums.net/attachments/img_6196-jpg.36831/

he also does one with small holes which is what would have been on a Rindt Autavia in the 1960s:

https://www.fratellowatches.com/tbt-...carrera-2447s/
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    That looks really nice. I didn't expect to like the look of this as much as I do in those pics - it looks great on first glance, I'm liking the green more than I'd ever expect to although the rally is the obvious choice. I'd always buy on a bracelet if available as it's always cost effective to do so and oem straps are overpriced and often disappointing. The bracelet does look like a very shiny thing so can see why it might not get much wear but still good to have.

Of the rest the B&R would be my choice but the Autavia stands out to me.

Master

Heuer Autavia and SOTC

Thanks Foxy100 for the strap suggestions. I've seen guillano strap before, and they do look really nice. But thought I'd try Pavel as a more cost effective tester to see how I get on with the holes. I'm sure I can ask him to make me one with smaller holes. I'm thinking of a brown for my next one.

Deepreddave - exactly my train of thought regarding the bracelet. It's not that I really like it, but it was the lesser of the two evils if that makes sense. When I tried on the strap option, it felt too stiff and short. Even for my 6.75 inch wrist. Also my skin colour doesn't suit that tan shade of brown - It's almost a direct match on the colour scale!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Yunsung; 11th August 2017 at 17:36.

Master
    That's an attractive watch. I think you made a good choice.

Master
    I love your white dialed bell and Ross! Such a great choice for a chronograph! A very nice collection indeed!

That is a stunner love it on all the straps and especially the b o r bracelet enjoy

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Looks great on the strap.

What's the minute counter issue you mentioned?

Master
    Awesome photo report and review. I like the look of this watch and Tag definitely going in the right direction!! Congrats OP!

Nice bunch and thanks for the pics of the Autavia.
    IMO, looks best on the bracelet and the minimal stitch black strap👍

Craftsman
    I love the Autavia reissue but, and it's a huge but, the minute register was designed by an intern who had never seen a chronograph before. I can't explain it any other way.

Master

Heuer Autavia and SOTC

Quote Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
    Looks great on the strap.

What's the minute counter issue you mentioned?
    Thanks for the comments! If you look at the minute counter up to the first 10 minutes. At a quick glance you are unable to precisely tell if it has passed 1 minute or 2, as the first marker is at 2.5 minutes. I can understand if you need to precisely time an event but I will never need to.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wits View Post
    That is a stunner love it on all the straps and especially the b o r bracelet enjoy

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Thanks and I am generally a fan of the BOR bracelet, but just not in this case.

Just paid for mine tonight
    If I don't like it there will be a bargain for somebody here to have

[QUOTE=Yunsung;4454057]

I'm liking the watch on these two straps below, not really keen on the bracelet though.

Master
    A lovely watch, thanks for the review, this one is definitely on my list now.

As for the 21mm lugs I have found 22mm leather straps squeeze into the 21mm and soon shrink to size, will give you a lot more choice, although they will not look good on 22mm lugs afterwards.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post
    Thanks for the comments! If you look at the minute counter up to the first 10 minutes. At a quick glance you are unable to precisely tell if it has passed 1 minute or 2, as the first marker is at 2.5 minutes. I can understand if you need to precisely time an event but I will never need to.

Ah yes, I see what you mean.

Master
    On the brown strap from my first post but modified with rallye style holes I punched myself.

I must admit I totally ruined a spare strap I had on my first try.

And also posted in another thread, a side by side against the Speedy so you have an idea of thickness

Great write-up; think this Autavia will be the watch that everyone wishes they had bought ten years ago in ten years' time...😊

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    Great write-up; think this Autavia will be the watch that everyone wishes they had bought ten years ago in ten years' time...
    I seriously doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    I seriously doubt it.
    Well I seriously think so - the free gift of a crystal ball from Jura when I purchased the Autavia has also come in useful.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    I seriously doubt it.
    Thank you for trolling, I hope all your future posts add as much value.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post
    Thank you for trolling, I hope all your future posts add as much value.
    I'm sorry, can you not return it still?

Lovely looking watch OP, I particularly like that faint splash of washed out colour on the hour plots, very subtle.