closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cheap smartphome recommendations please

Master

Cheap smartphome recommendations please

I'm trying to eliminate the need for a rucksack when out cycling and whilst I've got in the habit of stuffing the pockets on the back of my jersey with most of what I need I don't want to put my iPhone in there having lost it last year and gone through a world of pain to sort it out.

So I've decided to use a cheap smartphone instead and if I lose it not the end of the world. Basic requirements are:

- Work well as a basic phone
    - GPS/maps for if (when) I get lost
    - Basic internet browser functionality
    - Sufficient battery life for a day out
    - A camera that is ok for the odd shot of scenery/fellow cyclists but doesn't need to be top of the range
    - Probably needs SD storage for the above requirement
    - Oh and it needs to be cheap

Other than that not fussed, it's really only going to get used when I'm cycling.

If anyone has experience of something suitable they would recommend I'd love to hear of it.

TIA

Cubot Cheetah. Had one a year now and it's great for the money, even comes with a pre-installed screen protector and a really good case too.

Sent from my CHEETAH using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    got a Huawei y3 last week for 50 euros, seems ok so far

Master
    My daughter's galaxy s5 broke so we bought her a 'BLU' android phone off amazon for about 35 quid. It wasn't the best phone ever but did everything she wanted as a full android handset. Only real drawbacks were low memory meant an sd card was essential, camera was a bit rough and it was only 3g. but for the money it was outstanding.

Master
    Wileyfox Swift get rave reviews on Amazon and a best seller. I'd recommend the Moto G5 but I'm reading a lot lately that they're not getting security updates since Lenovo took over. No update since January this year which isn't great and a worry.

The newest wily fox at £219 (think it's called the x) is amazing

Metal case etc too

I'd get one

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Wileyfox Swift get rave reviews on Amazon and a best seller. I'd recommend the Moto G5 but I'm reading a lot lately that they're not getting security updates since Lenovo took over. No update since January this year which isn't great and a worry.
    +10 to the wileyfox range

Master
    Thanks for the suggestions...

Amazon have the Wileyfox Swift at £70 new but with damaged packaging, might be worth a punt?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions...

Amazon have the Wileyfox Swift at £70 new but with damaged packaging, might be worth a punt?

I'd buy the newer model but then again for £70..... wouldn't even buy you a lift home

Master
    Wileyfox Swift 2 for £125, only in gold though at that price.

Master
    I've ordered the £70 Wileyfox Swift, we'll see what it's like I can always return it if it's no good.

Tempting as it is to get the newer model, I decided that the cheaper one would meet my requirements perfectly and if I lose it it's really not the end of the world...

Thanks all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    I've ordered the £70 Wileyfox Swift, we'll see what it's like I can always return it if it's no good.

Tempting as it is to get the newer model, I decided that the cheaper one would meet my requirements perfectly and if I lose it it's really not the end of the world...

Thanks all.
    Please let us know what you think, at that price I'm tempted to try one

I had a wileyfox swift 1 and returned it, I was very underwhelmed by the performance and memory. I think the value proposition is worse for the more recent models too compared to "chinaphones" like xiaomi, cubot and so on but I have not been following things too closely.

I switched to a xiaomi redmi 3s prime global for £108 (32gb, 3gb ram and sd card slot) and have been very impressed. I run it with standard android. My wife and father in law are now using xiaomi too, a 3s and a redmi 4.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Please let us know what you think, at that price I'm tempted to try one
    Well having had it for a few days now I have to say I'm very happy with it for the money. The screen is vibrant and responsive, it's reasonably slick in responding to input, the phone works well and internet performance seems good. Battery life is surprisingly good, it survived nearly 2 days without a charge in spite of the fact I was playing with it. I've put a couple of games on it (so I can let my son use it when he's bored on journeys) and they work well.

All in all very pleased.

I'm finding it interesting as I'm getting on with this incarnation of Android better than my last go with it (Samsung S2). Given that a wired headphone socket is a fundamental requirement for me I think I will be moving to Android when my current iPhone 6 dies. Also thinking that inexpensive phones like this probably meet most day-to-day requirements perfectly adequately...