closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nato hardware refinish

Nato hardware refinish

I have a Nato en-route from the USA for use on my Voyager. The rings are polished and if it bugs me that they don't match the case finish I'll probably have a crack at refinishing the rings/buckle. I don't expect a close match, getting rid of the shine should be enough. Can anyone recommend what I should use to do this? I've plenty of old Natos that I use for lashing tripods to camera bags to practice on.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I have a Nato en-route from the USA for use on my Voyager. The rings are polished and if it bugs me that they don't match the case finish I'll probably have a crack at refinishing the rings/buckle. I don't expect a close match, getting rid of the shine should be enough. Can anyone recommend what I should use to do this? I've plenty of old Natos that I use for lashing tripods to camera bags to practice on.
    Dremel plus fibre brushing wheel at about 2000-300 rpm produces a nice dull brushed finish on most NATO rings/loops/buckles.

Quick swipe with a green washing up "scratchy"- you know, the scotchbrite stuff.
    Hooves

I'll give those methods a try. I'm not sure which Dremel does 2000rpm, my digitally controlled JCB does 5000 - 30,000 which is the range of Dremels, and I've used it to take the external AR off a Sinn 656 at 5000 with no problem. I can pick up suitable Dremel tools for @ £1.50 each so I'll give that a go if need be.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    I'm too lazy to go the basement to check which model it is, but my cordless Dremel has fully variable speeds from 0 to about 5000.

You can run higher RPM, but you have to be more careful about heat buildup that will change the colour of the metal. Take it slow, do a few seconds at a time, and you'll be fine.

Craftsman
    Brushed finish?
    Grey or Maroon followed by Grey scotch brite pad.
    Maroon is quite course, but will cut through a plated shine faster

I cut the pads up with an old pair of scissors into about 1" squares for watch related stuff ( I use them for other workshop stuff as well)

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Brushed finish?
    Grey or Maroon followed by Grey scotch brite pad.
    Maroon is quite course, but will cut through a plated shine faster

I cut the pads up with an old pair of scissors into about 1" squares for watch related stuff ( I use them for other workshop stuff as well)

Dave

Thanks for that Dave, however with the strap on the watch I really don't notice the difference in finishes so I'm leaving as is.
    F.T.F.A.