closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discovery 5: first impressions

Quote Originally Posted by lewwyt View Post
    Has anyone seen a Velar on the road yet? My brother seemed to think he saw one about a week ago, he wasn't sure what it was at first
    Yes, there are a few around here. They do look very smart.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Craftsman
    i dont think anyone is going to throw a boatload of dosh at a car for the family etc to then constantly fend off questions about the dubious rear end. A lot have commented about the rear end c**k up and looks being compromised ...somewhat

Craftsman
    I used to be a land Rover Club member back when LR still had iconic 4x4's ..... now they just make posh "soft-roaders".

I rebuilt my own Series LR's and helped plenty of other club members with builds and modifications... we had great fun offloading.

Land Rover have lost the plot now that they have ditched the Defender, the workhorse of so many civilian owners and of course the Military.

I switched to Jeep around seven years ago and I currently drive a Wrangler JKU (the four door, long wheel base version).... Its a "Proper" 4 x4 and thankfully Jeep are still going to be using a body on chassis configuration for new Wranglers, at least for the next few years.

The new 5 is a huge disappointment. Clever that they got an extra couple of seats into such a small shopmobile looksthesameaseverythingelse over branded sled but a must have it is not.
    Gray

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    I used to be a land Rover Club member back when LR still had iconic 4x4's ..... now they just make posh "soft-roaders".
    I would hardly call the D4 a soft roader

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Indeed. To be fair to its ugly bum successor the D5 is (apparently) even better off road (so Land Rover say...)
    Last edited by Kirk280; 14th August 2017 at 22:50.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    Test drove the RR and the other one the Valarie or whatever other day, not impressed, rattles and squeaks, noisy cabin.

Dealer less than helpful when buying cash they want finance.

@ 8700 deposit and £780 per month that's nearly £14 grand in the first year with 8000 miles, that's why I don't do PCP or whatever it's called.

But your right they are lining up for them, I listened to one guy stating it was a bit over his budget but she managed to pursued him to put 3k down on his credit card for the deposit to get a better rate, what in the wholly name of debt is going on.

I can see a sub prime crash any month caused by the car market, these loans are for 60K + each car that's a load of debts out there.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    So you think it will depreciate less than £14k in 12 months, that doesn't sound certain to me. If not, the pcp makes more sense than buying cash as the loss would be minimised. The Velar probably has a newness premium at present but it won't last and they will sink in value like all the other over priced Chelsea tractors, like most cars in fact.

ah he can't answer of course since he is currently banned!
    Last edited by Padders; 15th August 2017 at 06:33.

The D5 has been out for several months now and I've yet to hear ONE person say anything positive about the rear end. That being the case, it's a complete mystery how the car came out as it did. This must have been the result oif years of development involving dozens (if not hundreds of people) in the process. Maybe that's the problem. Isn't there something about a camel being a horse designed by a committee?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    While the new Discovery might be technically capable, I would ask what provision is there for fitting a full external roll cage / roof rack, roof tent, storage boxes, winches, recovery gear, extra lighting, window security mesh etc. and then going on long over-land trips? ...... even more importantly, without breaking down.
    As I say, Land Rover seem to have lost their way.

Blog Entries
    While the new Discovery might be technically capable, I would ask what provision is there for fitting a full external roll cage / roof rack, roof tent, storage boxes, winches, recovery gear, extra lighting, window security mesh etc. and then going on long over-land trips? ...... even more importantly, without breaking down.
    This.

Has anyone actually asked them this question? Did LR fall about laughing, I wonder.

I'm not sure about the D5, but most of that would go onto a D4!

And here's me just moaning about the middle seats and rear window wiper...

I could let the looks go as I dont care once I am in it but the reliability would be a huge issue for me. I have zero patience for something I have thrown a load of money at not working. I've had BMWs for the last few years. They are a bit boring but they just work.

I do like the look of the Velar (on the picture above at least) and would happily have a full fat. I'd be livid the first time it played up though!