closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shaving question / advice

Master

Shaving question / advice

Hello,

I feel faintly embarrassed to be a grown man having to ask this on an Internet forum, but here goes!

I get **terrible** redness and rawness on my neck after shaving, such that in the last 15 years you could count on two hands the number of shaves I have had - i usually just use a stubble-clipper thing to give myself a perpetual 5 o'clock shadow (or longer) - I do this to avoid the pain and burning.

Anyway, I want to be clean shaven for a change and need advice on how to avoid the terrible redness and itchiness, the latter of which goes on for 2 days. I have had 2 shaves this week and it's been awful, culminating in me applying a steroid ointment to my neck!

I have good equipment I think (mach3 with fresh blades and an electric Braun 7000 foil razor with a new blade and the auto cleaning base station).

What am I doing wrong, or what product exists to help?

Sorry to be a numpty! No actual grown up to ask in real life!

Maybe you've got sensitive skin? You could try a 'pre shave' treatment such as an oil.

I find electric more prone to irritation than a wet shave. Maybe you could experiment with shaving methods?

For a wet shave, I think it makes a great difference if you soften the bristles before shaving, eg by applying a hot wet towel to the face. Also make sure the blades are nice and hot before shaving. Applying a proper lather with a shaving brush is also good as it lifts and coats each hair, separating it from the skin.

For an electric shave I think pre and post rub with an oil such as 'King of shaves' defintely decreases irritation.

I think with shaving its a combination of many factors, each of which may seem relatively insignificant, but when combined they can make a big difference

For example, try changing your brand of foam / gel. They could be causing the irritation by some sort of allergic reaction. I find neutrogena gel pretty good, as well as the stuff from the body shop.

Shaving direction is also said to be important, but I think you have to just experiment and find out what works best for you

With wet razors, always clean them after use by stroking them gently a few times along a dry towel, away from you (one direction only). This will clean and dry the blade and help it keep its edge.

A really good aftershave tonic (I don't mean just the stuff that you buy for the smell) really helps as well. I used to buy a brand called logona which is excellent, but I havn't seen it for ages. You could always try dabbing a bit of witch hazel or similar to soothe and keep the heat down post shave .
    Last edited by seikopath; 9th August 2017 at 19:49.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    Always lubricate well - the choice is down to your skin type. Shave oil or decent shave gel / foam etc.
    Always shave with the growth - never against.
    Always apply balm afterwards. Again the choice is down to your skin type.
    Try the body shop for a starter (imho).

...but I got bored of all that & grew a beard.

z

Used to get rashes from Gillettes which rip more than cut the hairs. My skin is also very sensitive. Switched to a double edged razor with ultra sharp Feather blades and once I'd learnt how to shave properly, with the grain initially, and without butchering myself I've never looked back. I never get any rash now. Search this forum for DE or double edged razor and you can read all about it.

Maybe try something other than the Mach 3.

Although I don't have hugely sensitive skin, I found switching away from a disposable multi-blade to a safety razor made a big difference.

I have ended up with a regime I am comfortable with, starting with Musgo Real lime pre-shave soap and then lathering up using a brush and OSP shaving cream (http://ospsoap.com/).

I haven't had razor burn for years.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 9th August 2017 at 19:49. Reason: Sorry, just seen you already answered the question about what you shave with

Maybe consider trying a professional barber to confirm in your mind if it is or is not possible first. Definitely try oils, good soap and possibly DE I had similar but not that bad more often was in growing hairs. I also find it helps to apply the oil and shaving soap and then clean my teeth, apply some more soap and then shave so the soap has time to soften my bristles.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I used to watch a few of this guys videos which I found quite helpful at the time.

https://youtu.be/2IuA8HGacJw

Neil

Get in the habit of shaving regularly and not being a perfectionist. If you shave daily it's less harsh than after a couple of days stubble which catches on the razor.

Blades can be too sharp, I get my best shave on the third use.

Nivea Crème, the ladies moisturizer, is cheap and prevents razor burn, apply after shaving. Conversely, the gents Nivea shave balm gives me an itchy red rash. It's the best tip I can share. A little goes a long way but it is a bit soapy / floral smelling. It's available in every supermarket.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    Switched to a double edged razor with ultra sharp Feather blade
    is there one you would recommend?
    Thanks, Rob

Craftsman
    Shave in the shower.

Master
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'll report back in a couple of weeks, and will try shaving daily to get my skin 'toughened up'. Same as when I started running I guess; my toes never had any skin left on them, but now they're pretty hardy.

Master
    Don't know if it's a case of toughening up. More finding out what works best for your skin type.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Don't know if it's a case of toughening up. More finding out what works best for your skin type.
    Yes absolutely, sorry I just meant part of it will be my skin just getting used to it, but I'm sure I probably have bad technique and I don't use any sort of pre-lather / foam etc. When I used my Braun, I just did it dry - don't know if that's correct?!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by taffy mark View Post
    Shave in the shower.
    One of the best bits of advice in this thread. Shave in the shower, last thing. The bristles soften from being wet, so wet your chin when you get in, wash your hair/bits etc, then shave once the beard is soft. Rinse off any time you feel sensitive and apply fresh lather.

Also, make sure your skin sensitivity is minimised by using a proper moisturiser every evening before sleeping and every morning after the shower. Also don't put after shave on the skin where you've shaved. You can splash a bit on the sides of your neck below the shave line for the same effect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Maybe try something other than the Mach 3.

Although I don't have hugely sensitive skin, I found switching away from a disposable multi-blade to a safety razor made a big difference.

I haven't had razor burn for years.
    This. I had exactly the same problem. I did find out early on that an electric razor was a not for me but subsequently tried every iteration of disposable Gillette razor blades finally ending up with the Mach 3. The problem with this blade is that the rubber fins ahead of the cutting edges pull the hair upwards which is then cut but when it settles down again it recedes beneath the skin and causes irritation and ingrown hairs. My neck would be red raw at times and extremely uncomfortable. You need to get a brush some shaving cream and a double edge safety razor. I did this and never looked back.

Master
    You could also decide to just treat yourself to a decent Turkish shave.

Copy the hot towel thing next time you shave at home

Quote Originally Posted by mactrack View Post
    This. I had exactly the same problem. I did find out early on that an electric razor was a not for me but subsequently tried every iteration of disposable Gillette razor blades finally ending up with the Mach 3. The problem with this blade is that the rubber fins ahead of the cutting edges pull the hair upwards which is then cut but when it settles down again it recedes beneath the skin and causes irritation and ingrown hairs. My neck would be red raw at times and extremely uncomfortable. You need to get a brush some shaving cream and a double edge safety razor. I did this and never looked back.
    +1.
    I've had a beard trimmer and stubble for 10 years. My skin was so sensitive, I couldn't even manage with a wet electric foil shaver! My face is ok, but my neck was always the issue. Had to shave for customer meetings 10 times a year, and hated it.

Started DE shaving recently. Still perfecting technique, and whilst it costs £50 to get a semi decent razor, brush, pre-shave, and shaving cream, it's cheaper longer term. A decent DE blade can be had for 10% of the cartridge price.
    I still get some razor burn, but that's because my technique is not quite there yet. Improving constantly. Shaving feels enjoyable again, and a bit of an event.

Checkout Rockwell Razors.

Quote Originally Posted by jammie*dodger View Post
    Thanks, Rob
    Edwin Jagger DE89L. Not expensive, nicely made and gentle enough for beginners.

Quote Originally Posted by jammie*dodger View Post
    Thanks, Rob
    I use Edwin Jagger - http://www.edwinjagger.com

Mercur, Muhle and Henckels are others that have their supporters.

I find that equipment is not the most important factor in preventing shaving burn, they are technique and hair hydration (as mentioned above).

An important point of technique is stretching the skin by head movement and pulling it further with the spare hand. For example when shaving the neck you push the chin out and up, then pull down on the skin below the beard. This is absolutely vital if using a straight razor so that you don't cut yourself but I think it's of great benefit with all razor types.

Hydrating the hairs is equally important or even more so, I don't shave in the shower but immediately after, and I apply my shaving soap with a brush in the shower to prepare the beard hair and skin and keep it wet. If I am not showering I use a 'first coat' of shaving soap to hydrate the hairs for a few minutes and then reapply for shaving.

With skin stretching and hair hydration I find I can get a decent shave with any reasonably sharp razor, whether it be straight/cutthroat, a cheap supermarket disposable or (my personal preference) an open comb DE with astra platinum blades.

I used to finish with alum block which I thought helped, it seems contradictory as it feels like the opposite of the normal moisturising and soothing approach.
    Last edited by ernestrome; 9th August 2017 at 22:45.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Hello,

I feel faintly embarrassed to be a grown man having to ask this on an Internet forum, but here goes!

I get **terrible** redness and rawness on my neck after shaving, such that in the last 15 years you could count on two hands the number of shaves I have had - i usually just use a stubble-clipper thing to give myself a perpetual 5 o'clock shadow (or longer) - I do this to avoid the pain and burning.

Anyway, I want to be clean shaven for a change and need advice on how to avoid the terrible redness and itchiness, the latter of which goes on for 2 days. I have had 2 shaves this week and it's been awful, culminating in me applying a steroid ointment to my neck!

I have good equipment I think (mach3 with fresh blades and an electric Braun 7000 foil razor with a new blade and the auto cleaning base station).

hat am I doing wrong, or what product exists to help?

Sorry to be a numpty! No actual grown up to ask in real life!

Sounds to me as though you are pressing on the razor to give you a closer shave - this is easy to do with a mach 3 and most multi blades

If there isn't creme or lather on it don't pass a razor over it - ask yourself does the second and third blade in your multi blade do this.
    Never press a razor to your skin - it doesn't shave you closer

Keep you skin taught on the are that you are shaving

Always run a first pass with the grain of beard growth
    Second pass & third pass across the grain & against the grain whichever way round suits.

The geo fat boy videos ( above) are a useful intro

Use aftershave balm ? after using an ALUM block until you get used to the technique.

If you can - get an adjustable razor.

DE razors are best - don't try a cut throat straight off

Craftsman
    Another vote here for the Edwin Jagger. Suggest you avoid the short handled variants unless you know you can get on with them - they're too short for me.
    Feather blades are VERY sharp - possibly best avoided until you've mastered the technique. I like Wilkinson Sword but you can get a mixed pack ( try the English Shaving Co) so you can experiment.
    Lastly - use a brush and some decent shaving cream (Body Shop if fine)- avoid aerosol foams and gels

Craftsman
    I used the sharpologist website to learn to shave at 38. Now I really enjoy shaving.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2DB6D82F52BA7608

I actually shave with cold water which I find reduces irritation

I too would recommend an Edwin jaegger 89.

Two shaving products I enjoy are: Gillette 7 o'clock yellow double edged blades and arko shaving soap (both very reasonably priced.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=....0.aZjPpsS6ANA

I use to use this stuff , it's not as easy to get nowadays, but it is an excellent product. Well worth trying one of the various foams to see what suits you. The hot facecloth before and after is a good idea. Also close all the pores after by swilling off using cold water and maybe a quick rub of the face and neck with a good quality , non scented moisturiser.

Cheers

Don't use hot water

Don't use red hot water - lukewarm is fine

Try tea tree oil afterwards or look to see if any foams or gels have it in

Tea tree oil is bad advice IMO.

First thing to do in dump the electric razor. Nivea anti irritation gel is very good and use water as hot as you can stand, then shower to remove all traces of the gel product.

The official line is that you should never use pure tea tree oil direct on the skin, especially on a sensitive area like the face.

A few drops of tto in a bit of carrier oil though is a different matter

But I wouldn't use that as an aftershave lotion.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    I used to get red bumps and sensitive skin after shaving, so I sympathise. What worked for me was the following: -

1. I dumped the gels and supermarket razors, and bought a DE razor. I chose a Mercur Futur (this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Merkur-Futu.../dp/B009ZF8Y18) after reading up on the subject. Generally recommended as a good choice for a "first time DE shaver" since you can adjust the closeness of the shave.

2. I bought a shaving brush and some shaving foam. Tons of choice here, I like Trumpers shaving cream, and the rose seems good for sensitive skin.

3. I was recommended to use face scrub - I discovered that my razor bumps were actually ingrown hairs, so giving a once over with face scrub fixed this for me within a month.

4. Buy a selection of DE blades (most shaving places sell these) and work out which work best for you. Feather blades are my preference, but everyone is different.

5. Learn (or rather, re-learn) how to shave. Sounds obvious, but DE razors are a lot less forgiving than your average Gillette. Take your time, don't press too hard (use the weight of the razor), and don't always try to get a totally smooth shave. When I started with the Mercur, I'd just give a one pass shave, and touch up any awkward areas (under the nose, corner of the mouth) with the old Gillette. That worked for me, and I quickly learned how to shave well (and only) with the Mercur. Shaving in or straight after a shower is great advice.

6. Slap on some aftershave balm. I don't use aftershave, instead I use unscented balm. Cools the skin and helps with any initial redness.

It's a bit of an effort initially - I went from sleepily dragging a Gillette around my face in 2 mins, to actually devoting 10 minutes to doing it properly, but it's just second nature now, and my skin is totally clear now. No irritation, no ingrown hairs, no razor bumps.

Good luck!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tredders View Post
    I used to get red bumps and sensitive skin after shaving, so I sympathise. What worked for me was the following: -

1. I dumped the gels and supermarket razors, and bought a DE razor. I chose a Mercur Futur (this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Merkur-Futu.../dp/B009ZF8Y18) after reading up on the subject. Generally recommended as a good choice for a "first time DE shaver" since you can adjust the closeness of the shave.

2. I bought a shaving brush and some shaving foam. Tons of choice here, I like Trumpers shaving cream, and the rose seems good for sensitive skin.

3. I was recommended to use face scrub - I discovered that my razor bumps were actually ingrown hairs, so giving a once over with face scrub fixed this for me within a month.

4. Buy a selection of DE blades (most shaving places sell these) and work out which work best for you. Feather blades are my preference, but everyone is different.

5. Learn (or rather, re-learn) how to shave. Sounds obvious, but DE razors are a lot less forgiving than your average Gillette. Take your time, don't press too hard (use the weight of the razor), and don't always try to get a totally smooth shave. When I started with the Mercur, I'd just give a one pass shave, and touch up any awkward areas (under the nose, corner of the mouth) with the old Gillette. That worked for me, and I quickly learned how to shave well (and only) with the Mercur. Shaving in or straight after a shower is great advice.

6. Slap on some aftershave balm. I don't use aftershave, instead I use unscented balm. Cools the skin and helps with any initial redness.

It's a bit of an effort initially - I went from sleepily dragging a Gillette around my face in 2 mins, to actually devoting 10 minutes to doing it properly, but it's just second nature now, and my skin is totally clear now. No irritation, no ingrown hairs, no razor bumps.

Good luck!
    Interesting. How often do you use facial scrub? Any product recommendations?

This could have been my post a few years ago. I had constant rashes, ingrowing hairs and it was horrible.

What i've changed is that i now shave at night, using an electric braun every second day. It's not perfect but i have had maybe one or two ingrowing hairs in the last 12 months compared to a couple every fortnight. Yes it also means i look "unshaven" some mornings but after the first few times i did it people now accept that i have stubble some days and i'm clean shaven the other days. To me it's preferable to the mess my neck was in before hand.

The braun originally didn't work for me and i kept trying it, then going back to wet shaving (using almost everything on this thread) and then trying braun......IMHO you need to commit to one method and go with it.

Sorry it sounds like giving up rather than advice. :D

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    The official line is that you should never use pure tea tree oil direct on the skin, especially on a sensitive area like the face.

A few drops of tto in a bit of carrier oil though is a different matter

But I wouldn't use that as an aftershave lotion.
    correct ....it burns like hell
    we use lots of it in the stuff we make ( think i have about 50 kilo of it ) and most essential oils are quite potent when splashed about

DE should be your destination, but I suggest you start with single-blade disposables like the Bic Sensitive for now.

Prep is important, use a brushed shaving cream, not the gloop from a can.

And never shave against the direction of beard growth. Do a maximum of two passes - one with the grain and one across the grain if necessary. Settle for the first only if you can. A comfortable shave is more important than a close one, forget what the marketing men say.

Finish off with a good balm.

Craftsman
    you can make your own pre shave oil with castor oil and or olive oil with approx 15 drops max of essential oils of lavender, geranium or patchouli . Use it for a minute or two then put your chosen shaving cream/foam on top....works well
    i make my own insect repellent but thats another story

Master
    My "shaving ills" were cured very quickly when I started to use a shaving brush and proper shaving soap. I now use Mitchells Wool fat soap which contains natural lanolin from sheep and it is a brilliant lubricant and it also moisturises the skin. Foam in cans often contain alcohol and this dries the skin and then you have to slap on some cream. Shaving soap dispenses with the need to do that.

Master

Best tip I could offer is to wet shave after you've showered.

There is no way I could shave without doing it after a shower as the hair isn't softened and it pulls and will give me a rash. I'm sure this is why many don't wet shave. A friend of mine asked how I could do it as it was awful, he'd not tried the above.

Shower, don't dry your face area, if it dries off while you towel off then re-wet, then straight on with shaving gel and shave with decent Gillette blades (even the disposable double/triple Gillette blades will do). After, wash off with luke warm water then use proper after shave.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tredders View Post

Good razor - *************** H e a d s U P ***********

apparently the patent has expired on these (so they say) and they are available on ALIexpress for about £6 or amazon for £18 if you dont want to wait for the delivery from China. They are named Qshave adjustable - geo fatboy has reviewed them.

I have bought one and apart from the weight there is little difference to my Merkur.

I now use the Qshave in my travel pack rather than the Merkur just in case it goes missing.

B

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Interesting. How often do you use facial scrub? Any product recommendations?

Every day that I shave (which is most week days). I don't use soap to wash my face before shaving, just facial scrub. The theory is that it removes the dead skin which often blocks hair growth, leading to ingrown hairs.

From a product point of view, I just use whatever is on special offer. Someone bought me some Clinique stuff, which was nice (but expensive apparently), but the Nivea cheap stuff I recently bought works just as well.

Don't automatically fall for the DE evangelism. I did, and I wished I hadn't. Some love them. I don't. I don't even like the Mach 3 as the blade head follows the handle, it isn't planted on the end of it. Gillette Sensor 3 disposables for me. YMMV.
    The advice about shaving every day is good- your face will get better at accepting it. If I don't shave for a day, I too get small pimples and redness at the end of day two.
    Here's what I do: wet face with hot water a few times. It doesn't take long to 'wet up' bristles. Whilst shaving after a shower is good, it also means any cuts keep bleeding. Apply shower gel/hair conditioner/anything slippery and rub up/in whatever. Shave with a sharp razor. Shower afterwards.... again, YMMV. However, maximum three strokes between each rinse of the razor. Go with the grain the first time, and against the grain last. The key to a good shave is lots of water and a sharp blade. It's not the brand of slippery stuff. As I've said, I tried DE and it's really not for me. Very scratchy and not easy. Keep the blade clean as cut bristle will scratch your face if left on the blade.
    Don't get too hug up on brushes/soaps etc, it all does the same job. There's a theory that a brush lifts the hairs, but I think that's crap; I like shower gel as it doesn't leave a waxy gunk on everything like glycerine & fat-based soaps do, so I can just swill the sink when I'm done and not have get the scouring powder out.
    Aveeno Cream. I'll say it again- Aveeno Cream. After you wash and dry your face, use Aveeno. I also use an anti-bump/ingrown hair roll-on first, called Tend Skin, intended for Afro-Caribbean faces, that really does do what it's supposed to.
    But trust me on the Aveeno.

Master

Try using Simple Soap rather than a shaving soap/gel.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Tea tree oil is bad advice IMO.

On a personal note maybe I should ellaborate saying not using it best....

https://getbevel.com/bevelcode/get-a...of-razor-bumps

Also our friend aloe Vera

Master
    Thanks again everyone.

I was in Tesco at lunchtime so wandered to the shaving section - not a huge amount of choice, but I got some starter things to try; Gillette Fusion Proglide razor, Wilkinson Sword shaving brush and pot of their cream and some Dove for sensitive skin soothing aftershave balm.

This, plus the technique advice above should give me something to go on over the next couple of weeks, and can fine tune from there.

Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    I used the sharpologist website to learn to shave at 38. Now I really enjoy shaving.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2DB6D82F52BA7608
    I definitely recommend a look at these videos. Very helpful indeed.

OFFS - use a Phillips Philishaver everyday and agood aftershave balm if necessary.

And man up

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Shave in the evening, then use a nivea cream (white tub, not blue) and any redness will be gone by the time you wake up.

Blog Entries
    I shave every day and always wash my face first using ordinary soap and water. Then I use shaving foam for 'sensitive' skin from Sainsbury's. I find it works better for me than gel.
    Next I use a Gillette Contour twin blade razor. It works so much better than the 3/4/5 bladed gimmick razors and better then the disposable rubbish. Gillette discontinued them but you can find them on the net.
    No aftershave lotion at all only use body spray.

Master
    Happy to report my first shave last night using better equipment & technique (as per my last post above) has resulted in much less irritation this morning.

Still a way to go, and as I get the hang of it I will try out some of the more fancy products mentioned above.

The Nivea (white bottle) aftershave balm for sensitive skin really does help.

Excellent.
    I quite like the pump tube gel one they have. Goes on easier.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    apparently the patent has expired on these (so they say) and they are available on ALIexpress for about £6 or amazon for £18 if you dont want to wait for the delivery from China.
    Thanks. Ordered one a week ago and arrived today. Will see what the build quality is like in due course but feels pretty good.

Master
    For what it's worth, I switched to a Muhle DE razor about a decade ago, and after some experimentation, settled on Feather blades. I bought 200 blades last time I ordered, which lasts a reasonable period!

I also shave in the bath, which helps. No mirror, obviously, but I've never found that to be an issue.